The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clermont v Ulster .. the build up begins

+20
johnnymonaghan
valjester
WillyGilly
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Notch
clivemcl
Artful_Dodger
MrsP
Gibson
Feckless Rogue
debaters1
thebandwagonsociety
UlstermaninGlasgow
rodders
RuggerRadge2611
Standulstermen
Thomond
Rory_Gallagher
Rava
geoff998rugby
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Clermont v Ulster .. the build up begins - Page 2 Empty Clermont v Ulster .. the build up begins

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:02 am

First topic message reminder :

Firstly a TV update for those like me with BT Vision or NTL.

The game is now the main event and no longer on the Red button so you can watch from the comfort of your own home Smile

As to team selection only two decisions.

If Cave is injured we can play Whitten at 13, Terblanche at 13 with D'Arcy at 15, Spence returns

I list them in order of probability. I would expect Whitten to start and Spence to go to the bench.

The other decision is if McAllister is fit is it him or Black on the bench.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Clermont v Ulster .. the build up begins - Page 2 Empty Re: Clermont v Ulster .. the build up begins

Post by Rava Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:42 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:I'll make a statement - Terblanche will be 15.

I just don't think he will risk D'Arcy.

With 35,000 baying Frenchmen screaming when Parra puts up a high ball, in the first 5 mins, he will want a 15 who has been there seen it done it - thats Terblanche.

D'Arcy as a impact sub

He dropped the first one on Friday night Yikes
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Clermont v Ulster .. the build up begins - Page 2 Empty Re: Clermont v Ulster .. the build up begins

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:44 pm

Terblanche to 13 for me - his game management is very good and I think he'd be a good distributor as well, definitely don't want to see Wallace at 13, and Whitten at 13 is too unpredictable, hes a crash ball 12 so for me wouldnt have the distribution for 13.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:47 pm

Terblanche couldn't catch a cold the other night!

If Spence isn't fit then Steffan to 13 and D'arcy to 15. Problem solved zen .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:48 pm

Assuming it is Terblanche at 15 Geoff - that would mean its really going have to be Whitten at 13 as playing Spence in this one in his first match back would be a huge risk.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:48 pm

He did drop the first one but he would still be the best man for the job.

As I say that is my guess what will happen not necessarily what I want.

In truth - Terblanche, Whitten, Wallace, Spence - who ever plays 13 is a very very marginal call. All 4 will be considered

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:49 pm

roddersm wrote:Terblanche couldn't catch a cold the other night!

If Spence isn't fit then Steffan to 13 and D'arcy to 15. Problem solved zen .

Bit unfair after that first missed catch he was excellent.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:55 pm

He missed two that I counted, knocked on one then out of position for another.

Had a great game going forward though.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 17 Jan 2012, 5:05 pm

He was superb all round rodders. I didnt think so at the time but watching back he was a delight to watch. The hands for Gilroys try. The kick through for trimble. Scored the try that wasnt. Started the move for the first try. and the length he got on his touchfinders was superb.

A delight.

If Spence is fit enough i would be tempted by him at 13 and leave stefan where he is. If not the Terblanche to 13 and D'arcy in.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 17 Jan 2012, 6:09 pm

Standulstermen wrote:He was superb all round rodders. I didnt think so at the time but watching back he was a delight to watch. The hands for Gilroys try. The kick through for trimble. Scored the try that wasnt. Started the move for the first try. and the length he got on his touchfinders was superb.

A delight.

If Spence is fit enough i would be tempted by him at 13 and leave stefan where he is. If not the Terblanche to 13 and D'arcy in.

Very true but he didn't look very secure under the high ball. That said he did more than enough to retain his place, as you say he was brilliant all round. He's been brilliant generally since he joined us.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 17 Jan 2012, 6:20 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Terblanche to 13 for me - his game management is very good and I think he'd be a good distributor as well, definitely don't want to see Wallace at 13, and Whitten at 13 is too unpredictable, hes a crash ball 12 so for me wouldnt have the distribution for 13.

If a player hasn't got good distribution for 13, they certainly won't for 12. A 12 needs to have good distribution skills, but it isn't just as important with a 13. Both need to be good at it though. And since Whitten does have quite good hands, I feel he would do a good job at 13.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 17 Jan 2012, 6:23 pm

People seem to forget that Terblanche is as much a 13 as he is a full-back. He has bucketloads of Super15 game time at 13. He is definatly ahead of Wallace and Whitten in the pecking order. Spence would be a brave call, and I'd worry that his over eagerness might see him looking for contact more often than give a pass.

For me when Terblance is a very experienced 13 and Darcy a very solid 15, it's a no-brainer.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 17 Jan 2012, 6:32 pm

Hopefully Whitten into 13- always the position I've felt he's more suited too, being a strike runner with poor distribution skills. But Terblanche would be good too, although I wouldn't move him from 15 unless our hand was forced with another couple of injuries. Defensive organisation of our back three will be vital. With Cave out, Wallace and Terblanche are our two main defensive organisers. I think we get maximum benefit from them at 12 and 15.

I think you do want guys who will run hard and straight in your midfield and on the wings. It used to be your crash ball centre was your 12 and your skillful, creative player was your 13 but as teams get fitter it's important to put more width on the game and move your opponents around the pitch so you want to have your strike runners attacking the wider channels more. I feel the traditional centre pairing has become inverted.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 17 Jan 2012, 6:59 pm

Notch wrote:Hopefully Whitten into 13- always the position I've felt he's more suited too, being a strike runner with poor distribution skills. But Terblanche would be good too, although I wouldn't move him from 15 unless our hand was forced with another couple of injuries. Defensive organisation of our back three will be vital. With Cave out, Wallace and Terblanche are our two main defensive organisers. I think we get maximum benefit from them at 12 and 15.

I think you do want guys who will run hard and straight in your midfield and on the wings. It used to be your crash ball centre was your 12 and your skillful, creative player was your 13 but as teams get fitter it's important to put more width on the game and move your opponents around the pitch so you want to have your strike runners attacking the wider channels more. I feel the traditional centre pairing has become inverted.

Agree entirely with this.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 17 Jan 2012, 8:33 pm

If there is one benefit of getting to watch the game from the top of the new stand (besides the free nosh and booze) it's the great view. You see things that you don't see at lower levels.
One thing was very evident from there - Terblanche's influence on the two wingers. You could actually see Gilroy looking to him for guidance at set plays.
That said I think he could still influence that from the outside centre position if required.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 17 Jan 2012, 8:38 pm

The only thing that puts me off terblanche at 13 is that whileni do rate D'arcy he doesn't have the longest boot and I think we are going to need to keep Clermont out of our 22 and indeed our half as much as possible. Lee Byrne has a monster boot too and I don't think we can afford to lose the tacticalmkicking battle.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 17 Jan 2012, 8:43 pm

Ahem!

Whistle

"If there is one benefit of getting to watch the game from the top of the new stand (besides the free nosh and booze and great company)....

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 17 Jan 2012, 8:45 pm

kiss Hug
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 17 Jan 2012, 9:04 pm

That's better!

You're right though, Terblanche is having a huge influence on Gilroy.

And doesn't he look like he is enjoying himself sooooo much.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 17 Jan 2012, 9:17 pm

Not as much as Geordy Murphy? Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Tue 17 Jan 2012, 9:19 pm

Genuinely gutted for Cave. Such a big loss for Ulster with Spence out as well and with the Ireland squad being named tomorrow and everything it's unbelievable bad luck.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 17 Jan 2012, 9:25 pm

I know how we'll beat Clermont!...we need a bit more of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyhH-ip3Bho&feature=related

Yahoo
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Tue 17 Jan 2012, 9:39 pm

Anyone else going to head to Clermont on Saturday? Looking forward to the match but it is going to be difficult.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by johnnymonaghan Tue 17 Jan 2012, 9:51 pm

Heading over alright - although not the furthest away HC venue in the group, we couldn't resist

Here's a concise guide...whether its any good or not is another question

http://wikitravel.org/en/Clermont-Ferrand

Still value (as of sunday anyways) in flying from Dublin to Lyon, hiring a car and driving the 2.5hrs to Montferrand - its worth checking out at any rate

SUFTUM

johnnymonaghan

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:39 pm

johnnymonaghan wrote:Heading over alright - although not the furthest away HC venue in the group, we couldn't resist

Here's a concise guide...whether its any good or not is another question

http://wikitravel.org/en/Clermont-Ferrand

Still value (as of sunday anyways) in flying from Dublin to Lyon, hiring a car and driving the 2.5hrs to Montferrand - its worth checking out at any rate

SUFTUM

Its a boring enough town normally but the place goes mental for rugby nights. The people are quite friendly. I assume you have your tickets cos not a chance in hell of getting them from the locals. I'm driving up from Toulouse, so its about 5hrs which is annoying as I'll have to be up before 12.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:22 pm

roddersm wrote:I know how we'll beat Clermont!...we need a bit more of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyhH-ip3Bho&feature=related

Yahoo

I don't think it is possible for Ferris not to make those kind of collisions rodders! He is not human.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 18 Jan 2012, 9:06 am

Flip would love to go to the game! Can you fly Belfast to Grenoble or do you drive up from Marseille? Bollix can't see it at this notice....need to find a pub to catch it in....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 18 Jan 2012, 2:11 pm

Well we are closer to a selection decision. The meaningless 34 man squad is up but the verbage contained the observation that it is between Spence and Whitten to partner Walalce in the centre.

So Terblanche is the starting 15 then.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 18 Jan 2012, 2:24 pm

Just on a side note I noticed that Peter Nelson is still on the injured list. Will he be back for Friday night or will Luke Marshall get his spot. I think we need to get him game time but I wouldn't do it at the expense of those who got the ravens were they are.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 18 Jan 2012, 2:51 pm

I would expect Marshall to start somewhere.

Nelson is definitely out

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 18 Jan 2012, 3:26 pm

Disappointed to hear that Geoff. Would have liked to have seen Nelson at this level.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 18 Jan 2012, 3:38 pm

A thought about Cave - If Spence returns to 13 and plays like he did last season, who is going to get the shirt? Or, who would you rather see start at 13?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 18 Jan 2012, 3:42 pm

Cave for me but I do hope spence gives hmclaughlin food for thought.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 18 Jan 2012, 3:53 pm

Cave, think Spence will need to play better than he did last season to get the 13 shirt long term.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 18 Jan 2012, 3:56 pm

I still think Spence has more potential than Cave does. But I want Cave to start 13, and Spence to be his understudy. I think if Spence developed a brain like Cave's, and his distribution, he would be the best 13 in Ireland by a huge distance.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:15 pm

Well this is me till Monday (well in 40 mins anyway) so shout loud and proud on Saturday.

Also cheer on the Westies, Gloucester and Irish. clap

I wouldn't bother with Racing who will be spineless steam

SUFTUM Yahoo

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:21 pm

Geoff,

Are you heading over for the game?

If so, you'll have to cheer loudly enough for all of us who will be stuck at home shouting at the telly!

Have a great time!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:27 pm

Although, I do intend to shout loudly enough at the telly that the players can hear me.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 19 Jan 2012, 4:49 pm

Sadly no but things to do that wil lkeep me away from a computer between now and 3.30pm on Saturday.

Mind you also saving my pennies for Easter weekend as whatever happens we will be playing in Europe somewhere Yahoo

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 19 Jan 2012, 5:26 pm

I was in Clermont for a while today, absolutely soaked from the rain. The locals are in a very confident mood ahead of the weekend.
The players themselves seem confident enough but aren't arrogant or cocky so its unlikely we'll see them coming out thinking the
game is won. They are ready for this in a big way and the coaches have them prepared so I hope we're ready because we have to
meet the aggression they will bring in the first ten minutes head on or we could be in for a bit of a hammering.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 19 Jan 2012, 5:34 pm

valjester wrote:I was in Clermont for a while today, absolutely soaked from the rain. The locals are in a very confident mood ahead of the weekend.
The players themselves seem confident enough but aren't arrogant or cocky so its unlikely we'll see them coming out thinking the
game is won. They are ready for this in a big way and the coaches have them prepared so I hope we're ready because we have to
meet the aggression they will bring in the first ten minutes head on or we could be in for a bit of a hammering.

Vern Cotter certainly prepared them accordingly - in a interview on ASM website it's clear that he focused his training on scrum, defense and how to try to counter Ulster agression. They will not be any maths in this game, it's win or lose and see what happens.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 19 Jan 2012, 6:18 pm

whocares wrote:
valjester wrote:I was in Clermont for a while today, absolutely soaked from the rain. The locals are in a very confident mood ahead of the weekend.

Vern Cotter certainly prepared them accordingly - in a interview on ASM website it's clear that he focused his training on scrum, defense and how to try to counter Ulster agression. They will not be any maths in this game, it's win or lose and see what happens.

Yep the collision area is going to be vital, last week Ulster were able to generate go forward ball at will against the Tigers. This week the players have to make sure they are able to do that again but more importantly, they will have to stop Clermont generating quick ball because they can be devastating at home.

And one of my major worries is that they are such a big side. Their backs are absolutely massive and really difficult to stop when they build up some momentum.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 19 Jan 2012, 7:36 pm

So,

Let's not let them gain any momentum then.

Siiimples!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 19 Jan 2012, 8:29 pm

MrsP wrote:So,

Siiimples!

Well if they play Skrela at 10, then they are pretty much giving up any hope they have of getting the backs involved.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 19 Jan 2012, 9:17 pm

valjester wrote:

Siiimples!

Well if they play Skrela at 10, then they are pretty much giving up any hope they have of getting the backs involved.

heard that's unfortunately what local newspaper implies which means ASM wont be looking for a TBP but a more defensive orientated setup. Skrela was good last year with Toulouse, let's see if he can up his game as so far he hasnt been that helpful for Clermont but somehow Vern Cotter seems to like him.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 19 Jan 2012, 9:40 pm

I'd prefer that. If they go all out attack they can hammer us. Kick the ball to us and let us grow into the game. Let Trimble, Terblanche and Gilroy get their hands on the ball and grow in confidence.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 19 Jan 2012, 10:09 pm

whocares wrote:
valjester wrote:

Siiimples!

heard that's unfortunately what local newspaper implies which means ASM wont be looking for a TBP but a more defensive orientated setup. Skrela was good last year with Toulouse, let's see if he can up his game as so far he hasnt been that helpful for Clermont but somehow Vern Cotter seems to like him.

Skrela was really poor for Toulouse for too many of the important matches, he is the ultimate flake, a bit like iHump but without the ability to play attacking rugby or run a backline. I could understand if he was starting ahead of james due to kicking but Parra does all the kicking so its irrelevant. Skrela's main purpose seems to be to try to keep the opposition guessing on the basic premise that if his own players haven't a clue what hes going to do, how can the opposition know?

Clermont's game is built around power but they do have some very skillful players, they just don't seem to know how to best use them.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 19 Jan 2012, 10:38 pm

Skrela is no magician but, appart from some bad moments in 2011, has been a solid 10 who can tackle.
Still better than Lavea which used to be the former James back-up and even with him they did beat saracens away last year with a TBP...

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 19 Jan 2012, 10:59 pm

whocares wrote:Skrela is no magician but, appart from some bad moments in 2011, has been a solid 10 who can tackle.
Still better than Lavea which used to be the former James back-up and even with him they did beat saracens away last year with a TBP...

Yeah hes definitely better than Lavea but there was a lot more expected off him than what he has produced. When he first came on to the scene there was a hope that he would be the man to fix the French problem position and that he would be a great 10. He's had a decent career but he has choked on the big occassion too many times.

I hope he start because I think Ulster will have a slightly better chance of being successful with him at 10.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 19 Jan 2012, 11:28 pm

It would be a good omen; a very young David Skrela was in the squad when we beat Colomiers in the final in 1999.

Also, we'll be wearing Red- the same colour as the 1999 final.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 19 Jan 2012, 11:32 pm

Notch wrote:It would be a good omen; a very young David Skrela was in the squad when we beat Colomiers in the final in 1999.

Also, we'll be wearing Red- the same colour as the 1999 final.

The fact that we've never won in France and are going to one of the toughest away fixtures possible means I'm not overly optimistic about the match. It would be huge if we could even just keep it within 7 and get the bonus point.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next