The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clermont v Ulster .. the build up begins

+20
johnnymonaghan
valjester
WillyGilly
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Notch
clivemcl
Artful_Dodger
MrsP
Gibson
Feckless Rogue
debaters1
thebandwagonsociety
UlstermaninGlasgow
rodders
RuggerRadge2611
Standulstermen
Thomond
Rory_Gallagher
Rava
geoff998rugby
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Clermont v Ulster .. the build up begins Empty Clermont v Ulster .. the build up begins

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:02 am

Firstly a TV update for those like me with BT Vision or NTL.

The game is now the main event and no longer on the Red button so you can watch from the comfort of your own home Smile

As to team selection only two decisions.

If Cave is injured we can play Whitten at 13, Terblanche at 13 with D'Arcy at 15, Spence returns

I list them in order of probability. I would expect Whitten to start and Spence to go to the bench.

The other decision is if McAllister is fit is it him or Black on the bench.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Clermont v Ulster .. the build up begins Empty Re: Clermont v Ulster .. the build up begins

Post by Rava Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:53 am

geoff998rugby wrote:Firstly a TV update for those like me with BT Vision or NTL.

The game is now the main event and no longer on the Red button so you can watch from the comfort of your own home Smile

If Cave is injured we can play Whitten at 13, Terblanche at 13 with D'Arcy at 15, Spence returns

I list them in order of probability. I would expect Whitten to start and Spence to go to the bench.

I wouldn't be arguing against that selection. Terblanche's organisational skills are excellent. I was noticeable on Friday how he was organising those around him and I'm sure the edge to Gilroy's form is no coincidence. D'Arcy at fullback wouldn't be of major concern.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Clermont v Ulster .. the build up begins Empty Re: Clermont v Ulster .. the build up begins

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:23 pm

If Cave is out, Spence should start.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:29 pm

I don't think Spence is fully fit yet. I think that's what Geoff was alluding to in his list of probabilities.
No doubt he will correct me if I'm wrong.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:30 pm

Let's make it 3 in the quarters lads. SUFTUM. Big performance needed over there.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:32 pm

He has played one club game I understand. I do not think it will be considered enough to do any more than securing a bench slot.

We are getting down to bare bones and the alternative would be someone like Gaston. On that basis I believe Spence would be worth the risk of a bench slot but not a starting position.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:33 pm

Might be a bit much to ask spence to start given he hasnt played any rugby in the past month. Least upheaval would be Whitten to 13 and he has probably deserved it. Realistically though we need someone who organises the defence so if Terblanche is better in that regard then i would have no worries with it.

Hopefully cave is fit though

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:35 pm

Just Stop Clermont getting a Bonus point and you'll be doing us a favour!

Come on Ulster!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:35 pm

Anyone else think we should send the Ravens out for this one and focus on the Rabo?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:36 pm

roddersm wrote:Anyone else think we should send the Ravens out for this one and focus on the Rabo?

no furious
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:39 pm

Me neither...just checking.... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:42 pm

roddersm wrote:Anyone else think we should send the Ravens out for this one and focus on the Rabo?

Definitely made me laughing
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:45 pm

Rava wrote:
geoff998rugby wrote:Firstly a TV update for those like me with BT Vision or NTL.

I wouldn't be arguing against that selection. Terblanche's organisational skills are excellent. I was noticeable on Friday how he was organising those around him and I'm sure the edge to Gilroy's form is no coincidence. D'Arcy at fullback wouldn't be of major concern.

This is exactly what we need against Clermont... An old head keeping the defence in check with that cheek and flair to turn something on from defence... And Whitten on the bench as he gives us a second option to change the game if we need it. One club game is probably not enough for Nev to get back to full fitness but I think Whitten has earned the bench spot over him.

But this is only if Cave does't make it... If he does then same XV as Leicester? With maybe Paddy Mac coming into the subs and that's all?
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:47 pm

Agree about Spence actually - a big ask for him to just slot in at 13 against Clermont. Is there any chance that Cave will be fit?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:49 pm

It is tee'd up to be the game of the weekend. With Leicester out, I was surprised that Sky hadn't updated their preference of games on main view quicker (ie Leicester on red button and Ulster v Clermont on the main channel). It was an obvious move, and fair play for them switching.

As for the main event, I reckon (all personal views by the way);
- Afoa in the front row gives Ulster parity with a mighty ASM front row
- Muller and Tuohy should edge the second row battle
- If Ulster play like last week (and I mean that level of performance by Henry and Wannenburg - 1F is a a given), Ulster should edge even on the road but it will be close
- scrumhalf: Pienaar v Parra? what a matchup (head says draw as Parra is at home)
- outhalf: Do ASM have an outhalf (james/skrela)? Even with his defensive weakness iHumph should match up well here.
- centres: Question marks for Ulster 13 jersey coupled with some lad called Rougerie playing at home makes me lean towards ASM
- back3: Trimble playing amazing, Malzieu running in tries for fun. Gilroy doing great, Sivivatu always a threat. Can't call it.

Ulster need scrum - Henry - Wannenburg - centres all playing out of their skin to get a win. They could definitely do it, but there is just this niggle in the back of my head that fears ASM have the HCup lined up and have gotten exactly what they needed from pretty much every round so far!

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:54 pm

If Terblanche comes into 13 both Whitten and Spence would be on the bench it is not an either or. The backs bench would be those two and Marshall

As for Cave you name it is crossed as we await scan results

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:56 pm

Rodders, I read a fair bit of what you say here and while I don't always agree, I can see the logic & your POV. And I see it here again too, but I CANNOT believe that you are beig serious. The most that going for this game will cost Ulster is potentially 3 more games. You're clear of Connacht, so no doomesday scenario to contend with.

Even fighting on two fronts, I don't think you're in anyway out of the reckoning for a play off spot, by any stretch and potentially there ahead of Munster. Honestly man, Munster & Leinster treat a QF as a birth right, Ulster has to do the same, that is the only way to progress, to win at the sharp end of Europe in order to get guys like Cave etc in Irish Jerseys for the 6 Nations, and first Test against the AB's and so on.

Believe. 3 out of 8 spots are possibly!!!

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:57 pm

I really hope he is fit. Anyone who doesn't think he is the form/best 13 in Ireland currently is kidding themselves.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 17 Jan 2012, 2:05 pm

debaters1 wrote:

Rodders, I read a fair bit of what you say here and while I don't always agree, I can see the logic & your POV. And I see it here again too, but I CANNOT believe that you are beig serious.

He isn't being serious - he is pulling your leg laughing

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 17 Jan 2012, 2:07 pm

debaters1 wrote:

Rodders, I read a fair bit of what you say here and while I don't always agree, I can see the logic & your POV. And I see it here again too, but I CANNOT believe that you are beig serious. The most that going for this game will cost Ulster is potentially 3 more games. You're clear of Connacht, so no doomesday scenario to contend with.

Even fighting on two fronts, I don't think you're in anyway out of the reckoning for a play off spot, by any stretch and potentially there ahead of Munster. Honestly man, Munster & Leinster treat a QF as a birth right, Ulster has to do the same, that is the only way to progress, to win at the sharp end of Europe in order to get guys like Cave etc in Irish Jerseys for the 6 Nations, and first Test against the AB's and so on.

Believe. 3 out of 8 spots are possibly!!!

Jeebus Debaters can you not spot a WUM man. He even qualified the question two posts later Clermont v Ulster .. the build up begins 3933776953
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue 17 Jan 2012, 2:07 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:If Terblanche comes into 13 both Whitten and Spence would be on the bench it is not an either or. The backs bench would be those two and Marshall

As for Cave you name it is crossed as we await scan results

Doh Forgot D'Arcy was on the bench...

I will be praying for a miracle from the rugby gods to spare Darren Cave and give him his chance to show Rougerie what for... Whistle

UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 17 Jan 2012, 2:22 pm

I actually think we can get the nudge on in the scrum. I would suggest Clermonts danger is the outside backs

Fofana
Rougerie
Sivivatu
Malzieu
Byrne

We need to get at Parra because if Skrela or James get poor service they can be very flaky. I think we have to not only get the better of but totally dominate from 1-8 to stand any chance.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 17 Jan 2012, 2:29 pm

Their back-line is scary. Though I honestly think Ulster also have one of the most dangerous back-lines available. Especially with the form the likes of Trimble, Pienaar, Marshall etc are showing. I think we match them in the backs, at a push.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 17 Jan 2012, 2:29 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:
debaters1 wrote:

Rodders, I read a fair bit of what you say here and while I don't always agree, I can see the logic & your POV. And I see it here again too, but I CANNOT believe that you are beig serious.

He isn't being serious - he is pulling your leg laughing

Tumbleweed ...... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 17 Jan 2012, 2:33 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Their back-line is scary. Though I honestly think Ulster also have one of the most dangerous back-lines available. Especially with the form the likes of Trimble, Pienaar, Marshall etc are showing. I think we match them in the backs, at a push.

I genuinely dont think (on paper) we have the same quality in the backline. It will be a terrific test for the guys though and i wouldnt say they are going to be run over but gilroy coming up against Sivivatu or Malzieu will be a massive test. I hope he nails them.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 17 Jan 2012, 2:41 pm

Gilroy is the massively talented youngster who is learning his trade, and against Sivivatu/Malzieu it is going to be a massive test for both he and Trimble. However, Trimble is in the form of his life, and Gilroy is a very strong. This could be his biggest test yet, but I think he will do fine. Fofana is new to the scene, where Wallace has the experience, and Terblanche I would say is more solid under pressure than Byrne.

Pienaar vs Parra.. well I would say they are maybe equal, maybe Parra coming on top as I feel he is the best 9 in the world. If Cave was playing I would also say the 13s are equal, however I am not sure now, as I don't know who will be starting at 13 for Ulster. I think their backs are more dangerous, but ours are more solid. It is going to be a fantastic battle.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 17 Jan 2012, 2:42 pm

I wonder will Ulster be in touch with Joe Schmidt for any insight he can give on Clermont. Or do the provincial coaches speak to each other at all?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 17 Jan 2012, 2:48 pm

Sivi hasn't been that great this year I believe and Bryne is well capable of poor kicking. We can match them - really really would like Cave there though

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 17 Jan 2012, 2:51 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:I wonder will Ulster be in touch with Joe Schmidt for any insight he can give on Clermont. Or do the provincial coaches speak to each other at all?

Id bet they are and will. And why not?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 17 Jan 2012, 2:55 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:Sivi hasn't been that great this year I believe and Bryne is well capable of poor kicking. We can match them - really really would like Cave there though

Sivi scored 3 tries on the weekend Geoff, report said he was on fire again and this settled him. Ok its Aironi, but 0-82?

Agree on Byrne - he can be got at.

In their faces from the off Ulster. Only way to beat them.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 17 Jan 2012, 2:57 pm

Fair enough agasinst Aironi but Sivi has had some 'mares this year.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue 17 Jan 2012, 3:07 pm

Gibson wrote:
geoff998rugby wrote:Sivi hasn't been that great this year I believe and Bryne is well capable of poor kicking. We can match them - really really would like Cave there though

Sivi scored 3 tries on the weekend Geoff, report said he was on fire again and this settled him. Ok its Aironi, but 0-82?

Agree on Byrne - he can be got at.

In their faces from the off Ulster. Only way to beat them.

It's how we beat Leicester... Don't see McLaughlin changing the game plan now!

I really believe the Ulster pack is better than Clermonts'... They're all carriers, and with Henry, Ferris and Best, a trio who love to cause havoc on the deck.

But the Clermont backs... Malzieu, Sivivatu, Rougerie, Byrne... All excellent players

Pienaar versus Parra..... a world class face off and one would guess as the decicing factor between who wins and loses?
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 17 Jan 2012, 3:08 pm

I have no doubt Sivivatu if off form will look totally disinterested. He only needs one second and he can go through any defence though.

Gibbo is right. We have to absolutely destroy them from the off. Too quote Rocky

"make him feel he's just tried kissing the express train!"

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 17 Jan 2012, 3:12 pm

To me, Afoa has been the the best buy-in you have. Pienaar gets all the praise. As do Muller and Wanneberg. All equally important, but everytime Afoa plays - ye win. He really earned his shekels last Friday. Immense game.

Believe.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 17 Jan 2012, 3:16 pm

Yeah we need to score early I think and make Clermont force the game.

To have any chance we'll need to dominate them up front and we can't afford to kick loosely as we did at times against the Tigers.

My fear is that we may get pinged for things at the breakdown that we didn't at Ravenhill, also they will give our midfield defence a much closer examination than the tigers did. Terblanche was exposed twice under the highball.

Our set piece needs to be spot on and the backrow will need to be on fire like they were against the Tigers. Hopefully our strike runners like Trimble, Gilroy and Marshall of the bench can hurt them through the middle.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 17 Jan 2012, 3:19 pm

I dont think Terblanche will making those two mistakes again in fairness Rodders. That being said i would have no issue with Terblanche to 13 and D'arcy to 15.

Pearson is usually a homer though and with the passionate french crowd there i dont think we can expect anything from the ref. We have to be that much better that we take him out of the game.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:09 pm

As Notch has posted on another thread. Cave out for 6 weeks. genuinely gutted for him. Terblanche to 13 seems to be growing on me as i think of it but its bad news for Ulster and Ireland

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:11 pm

Gibson wrote:
Feckless Rogue wrote:I wonder will Ulster be in touch with Joe Schmidt for any insight he can give on Clermont. Or do the provincial coaches speak to each other at all?

Id bet they are and will. And why not?

Byrne is new, Sivivatu is new, Fofana might be new since Joe was there so he might not have much insight on specifics. They might still be using a nice bit of his play book and he should be able to highlight certain things Rougerie/Parra tend to do in different areas of the field.

I would worry he gets a call from Vern tbh.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:13 pm

Disapointed but not surprised.

That is 2 years in a row where he had a chance of breaking into the Ireland set up and injury has ruined the opportunity Crying or Very sad

Big call from McCall now - he needs to decide where Terblanche can do the most good

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:15 pm

Damnit that is so disappointing. 6 weeks. Does that ruin his 6 nations chances completely?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:16 pm

Geoff - McCall Yikes

Weather Forecast: Cloudy with some showers Min 4/Max 8 degrees.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:21 pm

That is such bad luck for the lad.

Bad for Ulster too but I'm much more disappointed for the fella himself.

Geoff,

You're letting your age show.

"McCall"?????

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:22 pm

Whoops I have been going to the place too long Erm

Rory no way he will be considered for the 6N now - forget it and play at his best when he returns in the hope he can make the summer tour

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:23 pm

I think both D'arcy and Whitten are deserving whichever steps up. I might be tempted to move Terblanche just to get D'arcy into the team. His running lines are terrific and he attacks from depth plus he is an extra kicking option in the backline.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:26 pm

If Terblanche does move to 13 Ulster will not be short of kickers in the backs - Pienaer, Humphreys, Wallace and Terblanche - use it to our advantage to play a territorial game

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:28 pm

AS i think now i like the fact that Terblanche has a monster boot from 15.

I dont bloody know!

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:31 pm

I must admit I am leaning towards Terblanche playing 13.

Whitten has not played there at all as far as I can recall - that would be a hell of an ask.

Wallace to 13 ? - just throwing it out there

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:32 pm

Standulstermen wrote:As Notch has posted on another thread. Cave out for 6 weeks. genuinely gutted for him. Terblanche to 13 seems to be growing on me as i think of it but its bad news for Ulster and Ireland

Ah feck!! steam that is awful news! The guy has such bad luck with injuries.

Spence for Ulster and Ireland then! OK
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:38 pm

Tony Ward's latest piece:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/tony-ward-winning-on-french-soil-the-key-test-for-ulster-2990566.html
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:40 pm

I'll make a statement - Terblanche will be 15.

I just don't think he will risk D'Arcy.

With 35,000 baying Frenchmen screaming when Parra puts up a high ball, in the first 5 mins, he will want a 15 who has been there seen it done it - thats Terblanche.

D'Arcy as a impact sub.

Yes I know it contradicts my previous post, but weighing up all the options I think McLaughlin will play safe and leave Terblanche at 15.

Last edited by geoff998rugby on Tue 17 Jan 2012, 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next