The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should we blame Lewis and Bowe

+5
manos de piedra
Atila
Steffan
Lance
ONETWOFOREVER
9 posters

Go down

Should we blame Lewis and Bowe Empty Should we blame Lewis and Bowe

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 16 Jan 2012, 9:32 pm

For introducing the world to the blown up, super heavy heavyweights?

Back in the 90's it was not un common to find heavies coming in at 210. Great fighters like Holyfield, Moorer, Cooper, Tyson, all in fantastic shape, agile and strong. Able to move around in the ring. Lewis and Bowe started this current trend of massive heavies although Lewis was more often then not in better shape then Bowe.

Am I wrong?

Discuss!

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Should we blame Lewis and Bowe Empty Re: Should we blame Lewis and Bowe

Post by Lance Mon 16 Jan 2012, 9:40 pm

yes totally wrong. each heavy is responsible for his own conditioning, you cant go blaming other people for it. the reason we have so many fat heavyweights now, is because thats oten what it takes to compete with the other huge guys at heavyweight.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 16 Jan 2012, 9:41 pm

I blame the evolution of man personally. Heavyweights were always going to get bigger

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon 16 Jan 2012, 9:46 pm

You've obviously forgotten the 80's heavyweights like Page, Tubbs, Bey and Witherspoon. All of them routinely entering the ring fat and out of shape. Witherspoon was the best of the bunch though, and I would have liked to have seen him in with Tyson.

I don't think that there's really been that many true super heavyweights. The rest are just too lazy to get themselves in good shape. And they would most likely have always been too lazy to get into good shape the same as the 80's bunch.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 16 Jan 2012, 9:50 pm

Fact remains we have not seen a 210 heavy since Lewis and Bowe decided to blow up.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 16 Jan 2012, 9:54 pm

There werent a whole lot of top 210lb heavyweights in the 80s either. Other than Spinks I cant think of any off the top of my head.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 16 Jan 2012, 10:07 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Fact remains we have not seen a 210 heavy since Lewis and Bowe decided to blow up.

In which time we've had what 3 proper champions in Lewis and the brothers? Think it's purely coincidence and down to there being such a paucity of talent in the division.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:05 am

Onetwo, I doubt that either Bowe or Lewis could make 210 without seriously draining themselves to the point it would be bad for them- both of them were huge men, Lewis never really carried much excess weight and neither did Bowe when at his peak. Just look at the size difference between Lewis and Tyson or Holyfield and you will see what I mean.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Tue 17 Jan 2012, 2:36 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Fact remains we have not seen a 210 heavy since Lewis and Bowe decided to blow up.
Chris Byrd was basically a 210 heavyweight.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 17 Jan 2012, 7:15 am

Atila wrote:
Chris Byrd was basically a 210 heavyweight.

Yer a fat 210. He wasn't exactly trim.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Jan 2012, 7:16 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:For introducing the world to the blown up, super heavy heavyweights?

Back in the 90's it was not un common to find heavies coming in at 210. Great fighters like Holyfield, Moorer, Cooper, Tyson, all in fantastic shape, agile and strong. Able to move around in the ring. Lewis and Bowe started this current trend of massive heavies although Lewis was more often then not in better shape then Bowe.

Am I wrong?

Discuss!
Stupid article

Really not sure how you can call Lewis BLOWN UP. The guy is 6'5", he was always going to be a big HW. If he weighed around the 200lb mark he'd be one freaky looking fella. I wouldn't have minded so much if Lewis was known to be an overweight slob who could barely hoist himself into the ring without the aid of a crane, but the guy was (final fight aside) pretty much the eptiome of what your HW champion should look like.

Oh and since when was Bert Cooper a "great" HW? Was it before of after he caught Holyfield and nearly KO'd him but DIDN'T or afterwards (when he did precisely zilch for the remainder of his career)?

Bert Cooper...I'd sooner watch Tommy Cooper. He'd have sorted 'em all out....just like that!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 17 Jan 2012, 8:55 am

Big men = Heavy weights, even when in shape.

Bigger men with a big frame = heavier weights. Simples.

Daft article.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down