The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I blame Lennox Lewis!!!

+16
azania
TheMackemMawler
severe-mma
hampo17
rapidringsroad
davidemore
Steffan
ShahenshahG
superflyweight
John Bloody Wayne
Lumbering_Jack
manos de piedra
88Chris05
Rowley
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
20 posters

Go down

I blame Lennox Lewis!!! Empty I blame Lennox Lewis!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:25 am

When he retired the heavyweight division died!!....Don't care what anyone say's he's the last of the great heavyweights....He beat quality and people who were actually in shape!!

You can't tell me that the greatest prize in sports that people have died trying to attain..should be held by two brothers!!...Not that it's their fault...

Ridiculous the way everybody has become a slob since the Lewis/Holy era.....

World Heavyweight title is supposed to be the greatest title in sports not for two brothers to play with....

Every other sport is improving....John L would knock most of the contenders out these days..

The Klits are gentleman for sure and a credit to their families and Countries......but sharing the heavy title between them just makes Heavyweight boxing look stupid!!..Sooner one of them leaves the better..Fairplay to them though for being the cream of a wretched bunch!!

Lewis....You're to blame.. you should have carried on forever!!

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

I blame Lennox Lewis!!! Empty Re: I blame Lennox Lewis!!!

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:35 am

Not bad for a Canadian, Truss.

Not everyone is a slob now, just a fair few of them. There are some guys who are in perfectly respectable shape, they are just not all that talented. It is just a poor era, and I would like to say these things are cyclical but in the heavyweight division, I am not so sure they are. The late 60's and through the 70's stands alone as the greatest era of the heavyweights and I can't see it being repeated anytime soon. Although, we may have a fairly entertaining, if low quality, bun fight after the brothers retire.

Not sure John L would knock most of the contenders out though, Beefster. He liked a drink between rounds, let alone between fights.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:41 am

I blame the nonsensical system that allows there to be four guys at any one time who can potentially call themselves world champion, and this is to say nothing of champion emeritus, super champions, champions in recess or really special bestest of the best champion or whatever drivel Suleman has thought off this morning. Remove this and you don’t have two brothers ruling the sport as you can’t divide up one belt. One brother would hold the belt and his sibling would have two choices, settle for being considered the best of the rest or fight his brother.

Would also soon expose the fat slobs populating the division nowadays because with one set of rankings and one body, if you assume the rankings are fair you might actually have to beat someone with a pulse the earn a title shot.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:54 am

Carrying on forever didn't help Evander too much, Truss, so I for one will always be glad that Lewis called it quits when he did! Bowing out as the division's top dog puts him in pretty lofty company; far better that he knocked it on the head in 2003 / 2004 than carrying on and eventually losing to another fighter he had no business losing to which, be it by old age catching up with him or simply another shocking lapse / bout of complacency, would have eventually happened again.

The thing is, much of the doom and gloom stuff written about today's Heavyweight division was also being said in Lewis' reign, too. It's less than a decade since Lennox left the sport but, already, the esteem he's held in has sky-rocketed in that time. I tend to think that, once the Klitschkos are gone and we're left with a bunch of second-raters passing around at least a couple of the major belts like a hot potato, a few scribes who spend their days panning the brothers now will be pining for their return by 2017!

I think that much of Lewis' appeal, in retrospect, lies within the fact that he was the last Heavyweight champion to feature in those big mega-fights, the kind of Heavyweight title showdowns which were truly international 'events', so to speak. The fact that the two fights with Holyfield were low-key, or that Tyson was a shell of a once great fighter, are passed off as irrelevant. They were still the last set of Heavyweight title fights which were spoken of and anticipated all over the globe and generated obscene amounts of revenue for all involved, hence the affection that Lennox is given these days.

He was, of course, a better fighter in both ability and record than either brother, which I'm not trying to underplay at all, but I don't think we should spend too much time wistfully thinking back to how much better things were in his day!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10 pm

Hed have been knocked out by one of the Klitschkos (or worse) within a few years regardless. Not much would have changed I think.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:14 pm

You know things are bad when Lennox Lewis' reign is looked back on with dewy eyed nostalgia.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:32 pm

I'd personally fight my brother. Love the kid to bits but id have no issue fighting with him for a lot of money.

The kbots should fight.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:35 pm

You're from Newcastle Jack, should never be assumed your views on subjects such as fighting, women or the wearing of coats when it is cold are representative of vast chunks of the planet.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:40 pm

10 years from now I'll be going mental over how you guys give Tyson Fury the benefit of the doubt over some of histories warriors like Ron Lyle and saying "now the Klistchkos, yeah, those guys could fight!"

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:48 pm

Just want to be here ten years from now...Wayne

Fact remains two brothers sharing the title and laughingly whacking out slobs....doesn't do Boxing's image much good..

Also find it laughable how some Brits slobber over Americans from the past and p**s on high achievers from their own Country..

No wonder Britain is in a mess..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Also find it laughable how some Brits slobber over Americans from the past and p**s on high achievers from their own Country..

Tired, boring old cliché.

Could have been a good thread, Beefster. You revealed your cards too quickly.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:54 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Or maybe some people do not put as much importance or pride in something as arbitrary as the lump of ground you happen to be dumped out of a womans lady bit in.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Rowley wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Or maybe some people do not put as much importance or pride in something as arbitrary as the lump of ground you happen to be dumped out of a womans lady bit in.

I'm tempted to role out the Duke of Wellington again, Jeff. But, it is too soon since the last time and milkyboy tells me it isn't even true.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:57 pm

Rowley wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

The miracle of childbirth detailed in all its glory.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:57 pm

I doubt we'll be p**sing on Fury/Price/Joshua(?) if any of them eventually become the defacto numero uno at heavyweight - be it by dethroning Wlad or waiting for his retirement.

The reasons two brothers can share a title are the same reasons any division can have more than one world champion, in only one world. I don't rate the brothers highly as talents, but they're making the best of the situation they're in and would be mad to give it up as they get to simultaneously enjoy being the best in the division and making tonnes of euros.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:58 pm

superflyweight wrote:
Rowley wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

The miracle of childbirth detailed in all its glory.

You'd never guess I didn't have kids would you super. Agree as well Tina, save it, less is more as they say.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:59 pm

Rowley wrote:less is more as they say.

Someone should tell Truss and his 52" moobs.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:29 pm

Just making a point.....

No offence intended and hopefully none taken....

I agree with freedom of speech....I'm certainly not the kind of guy that kicks people off a site behing their back...or one who would advocate doing it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:32 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Rowley wrote:less is more as they say.

Someone should tell Truss and his 52" moobs.

We need to write it in low fat sauce over his beef. That atrocity will remain with him forever.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:34 pm

49 inches last I measured Chest........17 1/2 inch arms......

Pretty good measurements....always prided myself on being patriotic and a high achiever...... Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:36 pm

Alright If I use "bottom" in future?? thumbsup Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:49 inches last I measured Chest........17 1/2 inch arms......

From shoulder to finger tips? Are you some some of Tyrannosaurus Rex?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:41 pm

Some some...Sounds like the capital of some North African Country....

Yeah..I'm some some..of some

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:18 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:The greatest prize in sports
Sadly this is no longer true

I wouldnt even say it is the greatest prize in boxing anymore

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:22 pm

It is! When these clowns push off at least.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:37 pm

davidemore wrote:It is! When these clowns push off at least.

Aye nothing is more likely to restore the lustre and prestige to the title like seeing the likes of Wilder, Fury and Aurello playing pass the parcel with the belts. Can't wait.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:02 pm

Getting back to the thread.......One Klit is fine.....but two guys from the same family owning the greatest prize in sports..

Demeans it for me....only my humble opinion..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:11 pm

I agree with you Chris, Lewis did retire at the right time, and as for being Canadian Tino, he was born in England and lived there until he was twelve, therefore he was BRITISH.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:17 pm

rapidringsroad wrote:and as for being Canadian Tino, he was born in England and lived there until he was twelve, therefore he was BRITISH.

You haven't read much of Truss's work, have you?

It. Was. A. Joke.

But thanks for capitilising Lennox's nationality for me. I understand it much BETTER now.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:28 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Getting back to the thread.......One Klit is fine.....but two guys from the same family owning the greatest prize in sports..

Demeans it for me....only my humble opinion..

Not sure if I would call your opinion humble Truss Wink

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:42 pm

rapidringsroad wrote: I agree with you Chris, Lewis did retire at the right time, and as for being Canadian Tino, he was born in England and lived there until he was twelve, therefore he was BRITISH.

But he represented Canada at the Olympics.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:53 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
rapidringsroad wrote: I agree with you Chris, Lewis did retire at the right time, and as for being Canadian Tino, he was born in England and lived there until he was twelve, therefore he was BRITISH.

But he represented Canada at the Olympics.

he was ordered to by her majesty - who thought having Lennox and Davis representing the same country at the same time would just lead to mass suicide.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by severe-mma Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Lewis was a proper legend. I think the Klitschkos are the reason heavyweight boxing became so boring. They dont have the stones to fight each other and nobody cares about them. Haye put heavyweight boxing back on the map and made it news again. Heavyweight boxing needs him. If the Klitschkos would man up and fight him in England when he aint injured boxing would be on the up and up.

severe-mma

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:38 pm

Gordy's new alias?
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:04 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:Gordy's new alias?

I think he attempted to force mitosis of his one brain cell and instead divided its capabilities in half and created this moron.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:17 pm

This is waingro.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:10 pm

I would like to see John L Sullivan quaffing copious amounts of ale in between rounds of fighting Vitali Klitchko.In fact that sounds the best fight ever.
Right, in the words of Sham 69, I'm going down the pub.

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:58 pm

severe-mma wrote:Haye put heavyweight boxing back on the map and made it news again. Heavyweight boxing needs him.

No, it doesn't.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 pm

this is waingro, but i thought he fell out of love with haye at one point? maybe they have kissed and made up

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:35 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:Gordy's new alias?

gordy doesnt like froch though. hes overhyped by sky and would lose to eubank and benn easily imo!!! check the froch kessler thread out

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:39 pm

yes you're right eubank and benn would both beat gordy.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:08 pm

i think the reason the division is considered poor is because the best guys dont fight each other, imagine a mix of price, wilder, puluev, fury, povetkin, haye, perez, boystov, helenius, stiverne and mitchell all battling it out, who ever came out top of that lot would definetly learn enough to have a decent chance of getting a title shot.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:59 pm

Heavyweights are generally boring and will be more so with the supersized versions around nowadays.

I mean can anyone imagine anything interesting from any freakish dude with a chest in excess of 48 inches?

Agree with Rowley regarding the number of titles that can be won now. I'm slightly scared that if I put on another stone in weight I'll actually make it into the top 20 of at least one of the governing bodies rating systems.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:18 pm

I'm 49 and your jealous......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:45 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm 49 and your jealous......

Indeed, however I did state in excess of 48, 48 and below tend to be jolly interesting! Incedently buying suits must be an absolute nightmare, I already struggle with an off the rack suit and tailored can be so pricey.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:06 pm

Suits are for wimps..

I go into work naked.. I blame Lennox Lewis!!! 3559488474

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down