The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ivan's new regime

+5
sportslover
barrystar
hawkeye
JuliusHMarx
newballs
9 posters

Go down

Ivan's new regime Empty Ivan's new regime

Post by newballs Mon 16 Jan 2012, 3:19 pm

Seems like Lendl is having an effect on his charge already.

According to the Indy Andy's going to try and make Harrison "lose his temper" by unsettling him early on. Quite what form of gamesmanship is under consideration hasn't been made clear but I'm sure Lendl has more tricks up his sleeve than Andy would ever get from simply re-watching Braveheart.

Can we expect a high number of drop shots followed by Andy trying to target Harrison as hard as possible (a favourite ploy of Lendl's according to McEnroe whenever Mac was at that net)? Or did that one die out with the dinosaurs?

Of course, Lendl knows only too well the merits of moonballing followed by a dinky under-arm service (having been on the receiving end of this shabby treatment himself in the 1989 FO final courtesy of that Chinese-American Chang).

Either way should be gripping viewing all because Harrison has previous form as a "serial racket-thrower". One of his rackets apparently ended up in a nearby tree during the FO qualies and another nearly took out the hamburger stand queue at Cincinnati. Better yet he kicked a ball into the crowd on the Louis Armstrong court during the US Open having decided that the racket could settle for being slammed into the floor instead.

You have been warned.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Ivan's new regime Empty Re: Ivan's new regime

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 16 Jan 2012, 3:48 pm

A few timely comments from Harrison about Andy's mum should even the score up!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 16 Jan 2012, 3:50 pm

This is what Murray said

"I'll try and make him lose his temper early," Murray said. "It's
something that helps if you know your opponent can get down on himself,
and it affects his game. When you see them getting like that, you want
to try to hit the gas and keep going. Hopefully, I'll get off to a good
start."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/harrison-and-murray-share-the-burden-of-expectation-6290140.html

newballs

You don't have to worry about Harrison. If he has been following my coaching advice he will know what to expect.

https://www.606v2.com/t21632-coaching-advice-for-andy-s-opponents

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 16 Jan 2012, 3:51 pm

I'd rather hear about Murray's tactics after the match, not before, especially if they involve trying to make his opponent lose his temper.

I hope Murray has a good tournament.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 16 Jan 2012, 3:55 pm

Ryan. If you are reading this please do not listen to JuliusHMarx. It may be tempting to do something unexpected like Murray. DON'T! You will never be allowed to forget it.

Please refer to my coaching advice. The link is in my 3.50 comment.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Mon 16 Jan 2012, 3:56 pm

hawkeye never knew you were a world-renowned tennis coach!

barrystar my first thought as well. It sounds more like the sort of comment one junior player would be overheard saying about another. I honestly hope those words don't come back to haunt him.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 16 Jan 2012, 3:59 pm

newballs

Not yet. I am just practising...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Mon 16 Jan 2012, 4:03 pm

What a load of rubbish!

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Mon 16 Jan 2012, 4:05 pm

sportslover wrote:What a load of rubbish!

The original post, Andy's tennis or his comments?

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Mon 16 Jan 2012, 4:14 pm

The article and your attempt at humour!?

Leave it to "The Mistress of Humour" hawkeye, now there is a poster that can make you laugh!!!

Last edited by sportslover on Mon 16 Jan 2012, 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 16 Jan 2012, 4:16 pm

hawkeye wrote:"I'll try and make him lose his temper early," Murray said. "It's
something that helps if you know your opponent can get down on himself,
and it affects his game. When you see them getting like that, you want
to try to hit the gas and keep going. Hopefully, I'll get off to a good
start."

This is either a shocking lack of self-awareness or the lesson has finally been learnt!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Mon 16 Jan 2012, 4:21 pm

Didn't realise I was trying to be funny.

There actually was a serious point to this which barrystar picked up on. Unless, of course , he was just trying to humour me.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 16 Jan 2012, 4:41 pm

As predicted by myself on another thread, this is definitely what Murray should be working on. Get the negatives onto the other man rather than attacking yourself.

The example I gave was, when playing Nole or Nadal, to wait for an especially extended service routine, interrupt it, walk over to the Umpire and stand there hands on hips telling him to enforce the rules.
Or mess Federers hair, or something. Maybe make really really late Hawkeye appeals, that worked once.

This would herald a new tennis era, moving on from the almost-permanent decorum of, as Simplistic would call him, the "Swiss Gentle" man.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Mon 16 Jan 2012, 4:47 pm

Fair point bogbrush but wouldn't it be more of a surprise to your opponent if you actually waited until the match had started before revealing your hand?

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Mon 16 Jan 2012, 4:50 pm

Don't think he is really changing much if anything. If you read the article through he actually follows on by saying.

"That's really how my game's kind of worked the last five or six years, so I'll just use a lot of variation, make it difficult for him"

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Jan 2012, 5:22 pm

newballs wrote:Seems like Lendl is having an effect on his charge already.

According to the Indy Andy's going to try and make Harrison "lose his temper" by unsettling him early on. Quite what form of gamesmanship is under consideration hasn't been made clear but I'm sure Lendl has more tricks up his sleeve than Andy would ever get from simply re-watching Braveheart. ...

Now we are talking, Ivan Lendl beginning to earn his crust. No stone should be left unturned. As Murray hopefully progresses through the tournament expect to see voodoo dolls with pins in them and late night high jinxs with cellophane over the lavatory seat and fire alarms going off.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 16 Jan 2012, 5:41 pm

I don't think newballs was attempting to be funny.

bogbrush. Don't worry Murray has been working on this strategy for a long time. He has sneakily managed to fool most that his disrupting habit damages his game and not his opponents. My favourite was the wristband change when serving at break point down to Nadal in the 4th set of the US Open semi. Nadal was strong that time and didn't get annoyed, upset or lose his concentration. I think Nadal may have him sussed. He fooled many though as instead of getting called out he got sympathy.

This technique is always a temporary one. Eventually even the slowest players catch on. I want to give Andy's opponents a little warning so they know what to expect. I like tennis matches to be decided on tennis ability if possible...

Unlike many who think that Lendl will put a stop to Murray's tantrums on court I expect Lendl to aprove. We will see.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Mon 16 Jan 2012, 8:11 pm

He played Tomic a short while ago and just rolled over him and he's a way better player than Harrison.

I think he should save this stuff for when he plays his fellow top 5 players and needs to do something different.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down