The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coaching Advice For Andy's Opponents

+18
break_in_the_fifth
YvonneT
newballs
barrystar
JuliusHMarx
Calder106
Mad for Chelsea
CaledonianCraig
carrieg4
lydian
Jeremy_Kyle
sportslover
Simple_Analyst
laverfan
legendkillar
djlovesyou
Tenez
hawkeye
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Coaching Advice For Andy's Opponents Empty Coaching Advice For Andy's Opponents

Post by hawkeye Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:01 pm

For this years Australian Open Andy Murray is getting a little extra coaching advice. It is only fair that his opponents should have a little advice too.

The first bit is obvious although it is surprising how many players refuse to do this against Murray. Hit to the forehand, hit to the forehand and hit to the forehand again. Also after doing that for a bit be brave and hit a slow paced ball to the centre of the court (just be sure it is to the forehand).

The second bit of advice will involve watching three videos.

The first is Murray's first set against Kukushkin in Brisbane this year. This is how Murray might act. If he does so take no notice. He is not going to retire injured and give you the match so don't get your hopes up. The temper tantrums he is having will ultimately benefit him and not you if you take too much notice. Watch it a few times if it helps so you won't be too startled or surprised when you are faced with the real thing.

The second is Murray serving at break point down in the 4th set of the US Open final against Nadal. He chooses that moment to change his wristbands slowing up play and attempting to disrupt his opponant. (Well done Nadal for staying strong on this occasion). Expect the unexpected. It may be tempting to do something similar yourself but resist you would never be allowed to forget about it.

The third is Nadal being interviewed at Wimbledon (in 2010 I think?) after beating Murray again. The interviewer says "But Murray is nice. Wouldn't you like to let him win?" It might be tempting (especially if the press usually show little interest in you) to bask in the attention of the British Press prior to your match with Murray. Don't! Stay well away. They will only tell you how nice Andy is and then pick up all your faults and write about them. Don't read anything either. Remember you are just as nice as Murray or maybe even nicer. If you are still unsure about this ask your Mum...

After watching the third video I have some specific advice for two of Murray's potential opponants

Rafa. I know you have 10 shiny trophies and poor Andy has none... but don't even think about it!

Nole. You are cute, funny, intelligent, witty, talented, beautiful and loved. Ask your mum to confirm this. Whatever you do keep well away from the British press. You will not like it when they tell you that there is someone that beats you in every category.

You may think I have missed someone out with specific advice. That potential opponant doesn't require advice from me. He knows exactly how to handle the British press and is definately not unsettled by anything they say.

Finally whatever you do don't look at Andy's box. The power, emotion and hope emiting from it may decieve you into thinking you have to beat a whole team and not just the single player accross the net. It will also be very scary! You have been warned. Instead focus on your box. Your mum and that nice couple you met in the restaurant last night that you gave tickets to. They are 100% behind you. They know your time has come. You will gain incredible strength just from their presence.

Good Luck!

Last edited by hawkeye on Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Coaching Advice For Andy's Opponents Empty Re: Coaching Advice For Andy's Opponents

Post by Tenez Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:07 pm

LOL!

I can't believe you complain about my Nadal bashing!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Coaching Advice For Andy's Opponents Empty Re: Coaching Advice For Andy's Opponents

Post by djlovesyou Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:15 pm

I don't get it.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:23 pm

Hawkeye,

Here is a much better analysis of advice.

1) Attack from the start. Out of the 12 defeats Murray suffered 92.7% were after he lost the first set. This shows that if opponents go after Murray from the off and secure the first set, there is a high % chance they will get the victory.

2) Punish the second serve. Andy has one of the lowest points on second serve in the rankings. I believe he is below 50 in the rankings.

3) Guard the second serve. Andy in 2011 converted 56% of Break points on his opponents second serve. Andy is regarded as one of the best returners of serve in the game. On hardcourts this is increased to 57%.

4) Play to Murray FH. This is widely stated. I cannot find any figures. The top 3 have a tendancy to use this tactic.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:26 pm

hawkeye wrote:Good Luck!

No advice for the other 125 slam contestants. They must not need it. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:35 pm

legendkillar

Thats all good advice. However like Lendl I was choosing to concentrate on the mental aspects of the game.

laverfan

I don't know what you mean by 125 slam contestants? As far as I was aware at this stage Murray has 127 potential opponants at the AO. My advice (and well wishes) was for them all.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:41 pm

hawkeye,

It is easier to defeat him on court with the skills than mental. If you want de-stabilise someone mentally I would suggest bottle kicking and umpire prompts between points against a certain Spaniard

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:43 pm

"Hit to the
forehand, hit to the forehand and hit
to the forehand again."

Very bad idea. The last thing we want is a bunch of Murray fans crying players are targeting his forehand. After having to deal with Federer fans claiming it "unfair" how Nadal targets Federer's backhand, plays too many balls to it and crying about it, this info reaching the players will be bad for tennis and fans. Laugh

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:48 pm

I doubt Murray fans will cry about players attacking the FH.

I am a Murray fan and if anything if he can't 'guard' or strengthen a weakness in his game, he can't be the best of the current crop.

All I see on this forum is 'Nadal wasn't fit' or 'All he did was attack the Federer BH'

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:49 pm

hawkeye wrote:Coaching Advice for Andy's Opponants

Appoint Greg Rusesdski. It's the only way to be sure. OK

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:50 pm

legendkiller

I wasn't suggesting Murray's opponants use "mental skills" to beat him. Just giving a few tips so they are not unsettled by some of the unusual things they may encounter when playing him. I like to see the player that plays the best tennis win. I don't approve of water bottle kicking or any other bad sportsmanship.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:53 pm

legendkillar wrote:hawkeye,

It is easier to defeat him on court with the skills than mental. If you want de-stabilise someone mentally I would suggest bottle kicking and umpire prompts between points against a certain Spaniard

Wouldn't be allowed legend but he could report Rafa for extended time keeping.

Nice to see you back.

Go a bit easy on here as she is trying to develop a sense of humour - I think! Wink

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:53 pm

Nore Staat

I think you may be a little obsessed with Greg! How can he coach 127 players?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:55 pm

Well i expect Murray fans to not throw such tantrums and understanding exposing your opponent's weakness is a vital part of any sport.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:57 pm

Simple_Analyst wrote:After having to deal with Federer fans claiming it "unfair" how Nadal targets Federer's backhand, plays too many balls to it and crying about it, this info reaching the players will be bad for tennis and fans. Laugh

You should write a column with advice and exchange notes with other 'advisors' on tactics. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:58 pm

I don't see the point of this article.

Everyone is aware of how 'temperamental' Andy is. Yes he can blow hot and cold is likely to be able to turn around matches against lesser players, granted. When faced against the top 3 it is a different kettle of fish. They have won the Slams and have been able to handle the pressure.

There is nothing his opponents needs to be aware of. If they get on top of him during a match and he has a an outburst or starts projecting bad body language, ignore it and maintain the same level of tennis.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:59 pm

hawkeye wrote:Nore Staat

I think you may be a little obsessed with Greg! How can he coach 127 players?
Through Skype OK

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:13 pm

hawkeye wrote:I don't know what you mean by 125 slam contestants? As far as I was aware at this stage Murray has 127 potential opponants at the AO. My advice (and well wishes) was for them all.

You had advice for Nadal and Djokovic in the OP, so 128 players ( minus Andy (your favourite player Wink) minus Nadal minus Djokovic ) = 125 players. Pretty simple, is it not. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:24 pm

legendkillar wrote:I don't see the point of this article.

Everyone is aware of how 'temperamental' Andy is. Yes he can blow hot and cold is likely to be able to turn around matches against lesser players, granted. When faced against the top 3 it is a different kettle of fish. They have won the Slams and have been able to handle the pressure.

There is nothing his opponents needs to be aware of. If they get on top of him during a match and he has a an outburst or starts projecting bad body language, ignore it and maintain the same level of tennis.

You may not see the point of this article because you think this advice is obvious? I to don't understand why this advice should be needed. Most players have their own coaches. However from the evidence I've seen on countless occasions when it comes to their player playing Murray they are not doing their job.

First they insist on hitting to the backhand (perhaps out of habit). I'm afraid I disagree when you say "there is nothing his opponants need to be made aware of" because I think it would be helpful for them to be made aware of the unique challenge it is playing Murray. Of course they should be able to remain focussed but past evidence appears to indicate that some find this difficult. My advice might help.

laverfan

My advice was general advice to ALL of Andy's opponants. I then went on to give specific advice for Rafa and Nole about the British press part. Hope that makes it clear.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:29 pm

laverfan wrote:
hawkeye wrote:I don't know what you mean by 125 slam contestants? As far as I was aware at this stage Murray has 127 potential opponants at the AO. My advice (and well wishes) was for them all.

You had advice for Nadal and Djokovic in the OP, so 128 players ( minus Andy (your favourite player Wink) minus Nadal minus Djokovic ) = 125 players. Pretty simple, is it not. Wink

laverfan - Perhaps there should be a "Breath-Test" taken before articles are posted that way posters might not get confused Laugh

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:44 pm

sportslover

Please see my reply to laverfan within my 4.24 comment. Also its not nice to insinuate laverfan or indeed any poster is confused before assessing the evidence carefully yourself...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:01 pm

hawkeye wrote:
legendkillar wrote:I don't see the point of this article.

You may not see the point of this article because you think this advice is obvious? I to don't understand why this advice should be needed. Most players have their own coaches. However from the evidence I've seen on countless occasions when it comes to their player playing Murray they are not doing their job.

First they insist on hitting to the backhand (perhaps out of habit). I'm afraid I disagree when you say "there is nothing his opponants need to be made aware of" because I think it would be helpful for them to be made aware of the unique challenge it is playing Murray. Of course they should be able to remain focussed but past evidence appears to indicate that some find this difficult. My advice might help.

laverfan

My advice was general advice to ALL of Andy's opponants. I then went on to give specific advice for Rafa and Nole about the British press part. Hope that makes it clear.

In the same sentence you say you shouldn't be giving this advice yet say it might help???

Sounds confusing.

Murray from a mental/pokerface position is quite easy to read. If frustrated against lesser opponents he attacks more with FH. Against players better than him he will play more defensive.

A more general observation is that mindset he has against better players is 'too' respectful. The first defeat to Federer has had a lasting effect. Murray has had the misfortune of playing a Slam winner in his first final. Federer, Nadal and Djokovic didn't. That is the reality. It will take enormous mental effort for Murray to win that Slam if he faces 1 of the 3.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:03 pm

Ugh didn't know that fangirls were in such a apprehension because of Andy Murray.Must be the Ivan the terrible effect Smile
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:10 pm

Has anyone thought the guy may have basically topped out at #4 (or until Nadal/Federer fade outside of Murray progress).
No disgrace considering who's ahead of him currently.
Murray does ok outside #4, so obviously Lendl has been brought in to help Murray beat the top 3 in slams...good luck to him.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:12 pm

hawkeye wrote:

Ah ha, I thought Nadal and Djokovic were also the recipients of 'playing' advice, not just 'pressing' advice. My bad. OK

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:37 pm

Is this the start of a series of articles on coaching advice for facing all the top players Hawkeye. Could be interesting if so.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:34 pm

carrieg4 wrote:Is this the start of a series of articles on coaching advice for facing all the top players Hawkeye. Could be interesting if so.

The 'professional' experience from 606v2 to ATP/WTA. Very good idea. thumbsup

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:42 pm

Just as well the tour players don't follow threads like this or Andy might as well call it a day Laugh

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:26 pm

sportslover wrote: Just as well the tour players don't follow threads like this or Andy might as well call it a day Laugh

And then where would British tennis be?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:44 pm

laverfan wrote:
carrieg4 wrote:Is this the start of a series of articles on coaching advice for facing all the top players Hawkeye. Could be interesting if so.

The 'professional' experience from 606v2 to ATP/WTA. Very good idea. Coaching Advice For Andy's Opponents 732107

Um um... That might take a bit of time. Maybe someone else could volunteer for that?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:46 pm

sportslover wrote: Just as well the tour players don't follow threads like this or Andy might as well call it a day Coaching Advice For Andy's Opponents 810156456

Ha ha! Do you think I've got him worried?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:06 pm

there are some valid points though, I've often wondered why Murray's opponents always go "kick to the BH" off their second serve, which just seems to be playing to Murray's strength to me.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:06 pm

hawkeye wrote:
sportslover wrote: Just as well the tour players don't follow threads like this or Andy might as well call it a day Coaching Advice For Andy's Opponents 810156456

As John Patrick McEnroe, Jr would say " you cannot be serious" thumbsdown

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:11 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:there are some valid points though, I've often wondered why Murray's opponents always go "kick to the BH" off their second serve, which just seems to be playing to Murray's strength to me.

Thankyou!

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:15 pm

hawkeye wrote:

Nah. Now he knows he been sussed he will sneakily change his tactics and gamesmanship. So that when his opponents take your advice he will be doing the opposite. Canny lad our Andy.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:25 pm

hawkeye wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:there are some valid points though, I've often wondered why Murray's opponents always go "kick to the BH" off their second serve, which just seems to be playing to Murray's strength to me.

Thankyou!

I think it's to do with habit. It's the serve you'll practise most often, hence your "go-to" serve. Could also be due to the fact that tennis players always hit their FH harder than their BH, and when serving you have less recovery time before your next shot, hence why you would want to avoid the harder-hitting wing.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:38 am

Well done Ryan Harrison. So far so good...

Murray begins his Australian Open
campaign on Tuesday, against the brash American teenager Ryan Harrison
(who on Saturday declined to talk to the media about the match, towering
arrogance for someone whose star might well have the potential to
blaze, but is currently little more than a twinkle).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/jan/14/andy-murray-ivan-lendl-australian-open-tennis?newsfeed=true

Now just remember the rest! Forehand, Murray will not retire, be prepared (remember the video?), expect the unexpected, dont read any press (especially now you've made them mad by not talking to them), you are nice, look at your box and not Andy's... I think thats it.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:18 am

hawkeye wrote:Well done Ryan Harrison. So far so good...

Murray begins his Australian Open
campaign on Tuesday, against the brash American teenager Ryan Harrison
(who on Saturday declined to talk to the media about the match, towering
arrogance for someone whose star might well have the potential to
blaze, but is currently little more than a twinkle).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/jan/14/andy-murray-ivan-lendl-australian-open-tennis?newsfeed=true

Now just remember the rest! Forehand, Murray will not retire, be prepared (remember the video?), expect the unexpected, dont read any press (especially now you've made them mad by not talking to them), you are nice, look at your box and not Andy's... I think thats it.

Towering arrogance?? Get a grip. The anti-Murray stuff is starting to look a bit desperate now.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:23 am

carriege4

I think you must have mis understood the quote. Ryan Harrison was accused of "towering arragance" for refusing to talk to the media. Personally I think to accuse Harrison in this very strong way is unfair to say the least. It is in the circumstances the best thing that he could do.

I can understand that Murray fans want him to win. He is obviously a huge favourite against Harrison. Do you really think Murray needs any extra advantages against a first round opponant?

But you must understand that Murray's opponants would be well advised to stay well away from all the interest surrounding him. In the past they havn't been able to resist the temptation to get some second hand attention themselves and in my opinion it does them no good. The press will play down their chances and maybe even throw in a few insults to put them in their place (eg "towering arragance").

Also it should be remembered that the British tennis media is perhaps the stongest as this quote from Steve Tignor demonsrates.

Murray’s was the most heavily attended presser; a natural occurrence,
considering that the U.K. is the only country with something approaching
a significant year-round tennis press corps.

http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2012/01/niggles-and-whatnot.html

Its something a lower ranked player with little media experience should be very wary of.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:04 am

Ooops sorry hawkeye Sorry

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:11 am

Can fully understand why Harrison would want to avoid the press.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:08 pm

carrieg4 wrote:Ooops sorry hawkeye Coaching Advice For Andy's Opponents 2837018037

Accepted. And thankyou. I may be bold but I am also sensitive...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:15 pm

hawkeye wrote:
carrieg4 wrote:Ooops sorry hawkeye Coaching Advice For Andy's Opponents 2837018037

Accepted. And thankyou. I may be bold but I am also sensitive...

Was very tired when I read last night and misread. Sorry again Hug

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:32 pm

hawkeye

When writing an article and to give it at least some credibility, ensure you get the spelling correct in the title.

There isn't such a word as " opponants"

Neil Harman would not be impressed if he was to see this!

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:58 pm

Thank you sportslover.

I'm not sure if Neil Harman would be impressed anyway. I'm sure he would like to interview Andy's potential opponents and I'm warning them away.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:17 pm

Hard luck Ryan. It was a tough ask...

Andy's future opponents should watch a video of the Murray/Harrison first round match. There are a few things that can be learnt from Harrisons approach.

Harrison did well to refuse to talk to the British press. He got accused of "towering arrogance" for this. So remember don't read any media stuff prior to your match even if your wise and don't talk to them you may not like what you see.

In the first set Harrison was calm and played to the forehand. He was rewarded and won it. Murray then went off court for a comfort break and Harrison was left with time to think. He could have used that time to re-focus. He continued to play well but lost the second set.

It was in the third set that Harrison could have played better. Murray did the "unexpected" as I had warned. He started complaining to the umpire about the time Harrison was taking between points. The Umpire did what Murray wanted and gave Harrison a time violation. This is were I was a little dissapointed with Harrisons reaction. First he complained to the umpire about the warning and then his game started to completely unravel. He was no longer calm, he looked flustered, he made lots of unforced errors, he stopped playing to the forehand and made poor shot selection in general.

In this situation it is very impotant to stay calm. Don't argue with the umpire you will not win. The worst that could happen is that you could have a point deducted if the umpire warns you again. 1 point will not lose you the match as long as you make sure the score is not too close. Playing poorly like Harrison did because you've lost your cool will make you lose. Murray has told the press that this is a tactic he will use.

As Murray said on Sunday: “I’ll try and make him lose his temper early. It’s
something that helps if you know your opponent can get down on himself, and
it affects his game"

You have been warned.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:20 pm

hawkeye wrote:Murray did the "unexpected" as I had warned. He started complaining to the umpire about the time Harrison was taking between points.

Practising for a later round perhaps?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:57 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
hawkeye wrote:Murray did the "unexpected" as I had warned. He started complaining to the umpire about the time Harrison was taking between points.

Practising for a later round perhaps?

Ha ha! Nadal you have been warned.

I noticed that the umpire that gave Harrison the time violation warning was the same one that allowed Murray all that time to change his wristbands at the US Open semi final match with Nadal. Murray was serving at break point down in the fourth set at the time. I think that umpire must be a Murray fan. So Rafa if you do meet Andy in the semi's. Just make sure you keep well ahead in the score as you may lose the odd (penalty) point.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:08 pm

hawkeye wrote: So Rafa if you do meet Andy in the semi's. Just make sure you keep well ahead in the score as you may lose the odd (penalty) point.

If Andy meets Rafa in the Semis it will be down to an other-wordly ability to pull off the unexpected.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:25 pm

barrystar

Whoops! It was just habit to think they are on the same side of the draw. I suppose if Andy does get to the final it will be "down to an other-wordly ability to pull off the unexpected". (ie beat Djokovic)

sorry couldn't resist... your not a Murray fan are you?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next