The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does boxing REALLY need Mayweather vs. Pacquaio?

+6
Steffan
Lance
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
The Sweet Science UK
azania
School Project
10 posters

Go down

Does boxing REALLY need Mayweather vs. Pacquaio? Empty Does boxing REALLY need Mayweather vs. Pacquaio?

Post by School Project Fri 13 Jan 2012, 9:09 pm

Hi guys, I've been thinking about the subject more than the actual fight and as a fan of boxing I can't help but think this 2 or 3 year old saga is wearing a little thin for both the hardcore supporters of boxing and the casual fans. But does this have a detremental effect on the reputation of our favourate sport?

The only other time bitching between fans of 2 fighters and the war between promoters/networks has been this bad was in the run up to a potential Lewis vs. Tyson fight. But that is now a distant memory, we have had great fights since.

One thing is for sure, it has highlighted some obvious facts: Arum is a stubbon old man who is more interested in the protection of his fighter for personal monetry gain. Mayweather is a stubbon fighter who puts pride before reasoning with Arum. Pacquaio comes across as a true politician in avoiding the question and delegating his answers to someone else.

Superfights are hard to come by, this is the first time in a number of years we could have 2 of the best pound-for-pound guys go at it... instead we have seen a number of fickle parties sparring outside the ring over Twitter, media reports and interviews. It's become boring and the longer it has gone on, the more this has exposed how insanely fanatical the fans of both fighters are and (on Forums other than this) shown some horrendous racism and bigotry.

Look at the things we actually have to look forward to this year:

- The rise of Kell Brook.
- Andre Ward coming off a very tough tournament.
- Murray, Macklin and Barker will get to prove themselves at World Level again.
- Frochs homecoming.
- Alvarez.
- Some great domestic potential.
- Olympics and how our boys get on.

The fact is, if you're a boxing fan. There IS light at the end of the tunnel, there are other ways we can get our boxing jollies.

If anything, this Mayweather/Pacquaio saga will be a bad memory and IF the fight doesn't happen we will ask questions who would have won... I for one would have stopped caring. I think we should all do the same Smile

School Project

Back to top Go down

Does boxing REALLY need Mayweather vs. Pacquaio? Empty Re: Does boxing REALLY need Mayweather vs. Pacquaio?

Post by azania Fri 13 Jan 2012, 9:12 pm

Like a good soap opera, we have to have a good ending. Who shot JR and all that. The fight needs to happen.

azania

Back to top Go down

Does boxing REALLY need Mayweather vs. Pacquaio? Empty Re: Does boxing REALLY need Mayweather vs. Pacquaio?

Post by The Sweet Science UK Fri 13 Jan 2012, 9:30 pm

Without going to deep into it; I think boxing needs it so to end all the debate that's raged on for years.

But for the fighters themselves, I don't care what anyone says here, to me these guys both need this fight to happen to cement their legacy.

If this fight doesn't happen there will always be that question mark over their careers.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri 13 Jan 2012, 9:34 pm

But unless the fight actually happens, there isn't a great deal to talk about other than to speculate who could win.

You are right... Everyone needs to have a career defining fight - but personally, I couldn't care too much about their legacy if the fight doesn't happen (and believe it or not, I am a fan of both). But the longer this has gone on, the demand for the fight hasn't changed, but my (and looking at the Ring Magazine and other sites) perception of them and those involved has changed.

Why bother caring about it? I'd rather watch Martinez, Marquez and Brook anyway.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:30 pm

It's a quality fight imo
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 14 Jan 2012, 12:59 am

boxing fans dont particularly need it, but it will help get casual fans talking more than any other possible fight out there. problem is its bound to be fairly dull and wont help boxing in the long run. bit like mayweather de la hoya.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 14 Jan 2012, 1:36 am

Yes boxing needs it. I dont need it as I believe Mayweather would win no problem but if the fight doesnt happen you will hear Dana White and Joe Rogan laughing all the way to the bank and gloating how "We always get the matchups at UFC unlike boxing who couldnt arrage the biggest fight in years bla bla"

Maybe us hardcore fans dont need it...but boxing and its profile sure as hell does

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sat 14 Jan 2012, 1:50 am

Steffan wrote:Yes boxing needs it. I dont need it as I believe Mayweather would win no problem but if the fight doesnt happen you will hear Dana White and Joe Rogan laughing all the way to the bank and gloating how "We always get the matchups at UFC unlike boxing who couldnt arrage the biggest fight in years bla bla"

Maybe us hardcore fans dont need it...but boxing and its profile sure as hell does

Is Dana White just an appraised MMA verson of Arum though? Think about it, Arum has his fighters all fight "in-house" UFC is no different. I'm sure there are other MMA organisations out there that recognise other fighters that don't get a look in.

The only thing this hurts is the reputation of Arum, Pacquaio and possibly Mayweather.

The fact is, the more people talk about Mayweather vs Pacquaio the more frustrated people become... I don't ever see it happening, so I've stopped caring about a fight that won't prevail - If it does happen, great! I'll watch it and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. But it's not the be all or end all.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 Jan 2012, 8:32 am

It should have happened two/three years ago, and it could have been a saga (e.g. a three fight series). It would have been a tremendous boost to the sport of boxing. I suppose it could have ended both their careers ... but since Mayweather is a boxer whilst Pacquiao is a fighter, maybe they wouldn't have bludgeoned each other into retirement.

Personally the match-up is becoming less of an interest for me - it's like a long running soap opera that has become boring.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat 14 Jan 2012, 10:54 am

Seems an odd thing to say, but I believe we'll only know after the event.

It might turn out to be one for the ages, in which case all the frustrations will have been worth it. Consensus opinion, however, ( and I am with the consensus, ) is that it will probably turn out to be a damp squib now, which will damage the credibility of all concerned and will be another black eye for boxing.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 14 Jan 2012, 12:09 pm

Steffan wrote:Yes boxing needs it. I dont need it as I believe Mayweather would win no problem but if the fight doesnt happen you will hear Dana White and Joe Rogan laughing all the way to the bank and gloating how "We always get the matchups at UFC unlike boxing who couldnt arrage the biggest fight in years bla bla"

Whereas Pacquiao and Mayweather will be laughing all the way to the bank knowing they can make more money in one mediocre fight than any UFC fighter can in a whole career.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sat 14 Jan 2012, 1:17 pm

I think boxing needs this fight to happen boxing is dying at the moment too many things wrong with it. If this fight does not happen more people will turn to UFC where the best fight the best so yes boxing needs this fight to happen imo.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 14 Jan 2012, 1:19 pm

Too right boxing needs this fight, not that many super fights out there to generate the publics imagination, in a boxing era that IMO is below par.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sat 14 Jan 2012, 6:42 pm

Two years ago boxing needed this fight, but Manny has looked weaker and weaker since Cotto. The outcome is looking more and more likely - Mayweather win.

The fact is, if this fight goes ahead, how many people will say the same thing? "Manny was more dangerous 2 years ago" or something to that effect.

There's more to boxing than these two, it's just up to those to look elsewhere.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down