The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather dismissing Pacquaio challenge (again)

+13
JabMachineMK2
Seanusarrilius
Diamond in the rough
tunes666
Valero's Conscience
Strongback
Rowley
milkyboy
Boxtthis
Rodney
kingraf
John Bloody Wayne
catchweight
17 posters

Go down

Mayweather dismissing Pacquaio challenge (again) Empty Mayweather dismissing Pacquaio challenge (again)

Post by catchweight Wed 08 Jan 2014, 12:20 pm

This gives a pretty good insight on Mayweathers attitude. Floyd "Easy Money" Mayweather. Not interested in the challenges, just the money. I think his place on the Forbes Rich List is more important to him than any boxing list. He defines himself by how much he makes, rather than who he beats. You get the impression he is more satisfied with being able to make more money than Pacquiao than actually proving he is the better boxer.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. has dismissed Manny Pacquiao's recent victory over Brandon Rios as a win over “a blown-up lightweight” and referenced the eight-division titlewinner's tax issues as “68 million problems” that “he wants me to solve,” during a recent video interview with FightHype.com.

Mayweather (45-0, 26 knockouts) characterized Pacquiao's quest to fight him as being asked to “throw an old, desperate dog a bone” and also re-iterated his assertion that he “will never do business” with Pacquiao's promoter, Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, meaning that a megabout between the two would have to wait until 2015, when Arum's contract runs out, according to Pacquiao.

“So this guy's got all these problems and he wants Floyd Mayweather to solve them for him, huh?” said Mayweather, having dismissed rumors of a September date with Pacquiao as “a lie.”

“He's got 68 million problems and he wants me to solve them. First he didn't need me; now he needs me. He's willing to do anything now after his career done took a major setback.”

Pacquiao, who turned 35 in December, is coming off November’s unanimous decision over Rios, a former lightweight titleholder who made his welterweight debut.

In victory, Pacquiao rebounded from a split-decision loss to Tim Bradley that dethroned him as WBO welterweight titleholder in June of 2012, and a sixth-round stoppage loss to Juan Manuel Marquez in December of that year.

For now, Pacquiao’s advisor, Michael Koncz, and Arum are considering who will be his next opponent on April 12 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, having met recently regarding a rematch with Bradley or a bout with Pacquiao’s former sparring partner, Ruslan Provodnikov.

“First he wanted 50/50; now he's like, ‘Floyd, give me anything. Throw an old, desperate dog a bone.’ This man got 68 million problems. Now he wants Floyd Mayweather to solve his problems when he was just saying he's on the same level as me.”

In his last fight in September, Mayweather, who turns 37 in February, dethroned Canelo Alvarez by majority decision for the RING and WBC 154-pound championships. Mayweather-Alvarez, promoted by Golden Boy, grossed a record $150 million.

Mayweather already was the WBA's reigning 154-pound titleholder, having earned that belt by unanimous decision over Miguel Cotto in May of 2012.

In May of this year, Mayweather unanimously decisioned Robert Guerrero in defense of the WBC 147-pound title he had earned by dethroning Victor Ortiz via fourth-round stoppage in September of 2011, cementing his status as RING welterweight champion as well.

Mayweather also referenced an offer he made to Pacquiao during a telephone conversation in January of 2012.

“He basically told me, ‘f___ you! I don't need you. I don't need your $40 million. I'm getting the same type of money you getting. So if you getting the same type of money I'm getting, you don't need me,” said Mayweather of Pacquaio, whose win over Rios sold only 475,000 units on pay per view — far less than the 1.15 million buys generated by his loss to Marquez.

“If you doing the same type of pay-per-view numbers I'm doing, you don't need me. I want to see the pay-per-view numbers. As a matter of fact, ever since he's been fighting on pay-per-view, I want to see his residual checks; the money that comes in on the back end, I want to see those checks. I don't know what their relationship is, but I'm not doing business with Rob Arum.”

Meanwhile, Mayweather has a planned return for May, with former two-belt 140-pound titleholder Amir Khan claiming to have signed his part of an agreement to challenge for Mayweather's RING and WBC welterweight titles on that date.

There had been wide speculation that final details are close to being completed for Mayweather to face Khan at either The MGM Grand in Las Vegas or else at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

However, Mayweather dismissed New York as a fight site.

“The MGM Grand (in Las Vegas) is the Mecca of boxing. No disrespect to New York City or Madison Square Garden, because it's always been one of my dreams to fight in New York City at Madison Square Garden, but when you fight at the MGM Grand, that's the Mecca of boxing. You get to come out to Las Vegas and you get to go see the shows on The Strip, you get to shop late, you get to go to strip clubs,” said Mayweather.

“We got a very, very diverse variety of night clubs. You get to party; you get to do a little bit of everything when you come out to Las Vegas. I'm not going nowhere and fighting where everything closes at 2:00 a.m. When you come to Las Vegas for a Mayweather fight, it’s an event. You just don't know who you're going to meet at a Mayweather fight. And believe me, it's nothing but a building full of A, B, and C-listers, and all I'm doing every fight is constantly breaking my own records.”

Mayweather has also mentioned Marcos Maidana as being “in the lottery jackpot box” along with Khan to be his next opponent. Last month, Maidana scored two knockdowns during a unanimous decision that dethroned Adrien “The Problem” Broner as WBA welterweight beltholder.

“If the Amir Khan fight presents itself, then you know what? It presents itself. Once again, Amir Khan has a good following, so if it makes business sense, then it makes money..,” said Mayweather.

“The Maidana fight; that fight makes sense. A lot of people believe in Maidana because of the Adrien Broner fight. They think since Adrien Broner has a style similar to mine… they think Maidana can crack the MayVinci Code.”

An online report by Forbes’ Magazine estimates that Mayweather’s exclusive multi-fight venture with Showtime and its parent company, CBS Corporation, could be worth a guaranteed $250,000 million to Mayweather, who made his first-ever appearance on Showtime Pay Per View when he beat Guerrero.

“Whoever I'm fighting coming up in May, I'm a pay myself whatever I want to pay myself,” said Mayweather, who has twice earned a record guaranteed purse of $32 million. “You best believe it will never be under $32 million. My guarantee will never be under $32 million; never. You gotta realize I go to other countries just to shake hands for a six-figure check.”

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Mayweather dismissing Pacquaio challenge (again) Empty Re: Mayweather dismissing Pacquaio challenge (again)

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 08 Jan 2014, 6:46 pm

What an odious hypocrit.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Mayweather dismissing Pacquaio challenge (again) Empty Re: Mayweather dismissing Pacquaio challenge (again)

Post by kingraf Wed 08 Jan 2014, 6:56 pm

There is a boxingscene interview in which he suggests he left Arum because Arum called him a coward for not fighting Margarito... Floyd could care less about his legacy
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 08 Jan 2014, 7:43 pm

Horrible little cretin.

I thought all Pacquiao had to do back in the day was take the test , now another obstacle , find it difficult to understand how anyone can defend him. Like I keep saying top 10 ATG my ar5e

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 08 Jan 2014, 7:59 pm

Great boxer, horrible person.

Who does he think he's impressing by speaking like this?

We're boxing fans. We don't care how much money you have. We want to see you in good fights. Nothing more.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 08 Jan 2014, 8:18 pm

Floyd mayweather junior... Prizefighter, prize Cnut.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 08 Jan 2014, 8:20 pm

Boxtthis wrote: We don't care how much money you have. We want to see you in good fights. Nothing more.

Don't you admire boxers more since they all became accountants. Nothing speaks of the warrior spirit more than a comparison of recenty pay cheques. Can only hope spreadsheets could be involved. I am not ambitious enough to hope for powerpoint, but we can all dream.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 08 Jan 2014, 8:22 pm

It really is a bizarre statement. He's basically saying "It's completely ok that I didn't fight some of the more challenging guys in my career because I ended up being more famous and making more money than them"

Essentially boxing fans are left to assume he would've won rather than actually getting to see the fights.

Meanwhile, we definitely seem to be getting either Khan or Maidana lined up.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 08 Jan 2014, 8:24 pm

Rowley wrote:
Boxtthis wrote: We don't care how much money you have. We want to see you in good fights. Nothing more.

Don't you admire boxers more since they all became accountants. Nothing speaks of the warrior spirit more than a comparison of recenty pay cheques. Can only hope spreadsheets could be involved. I am not ambitious enough to hope for powerpoint, but we can all dream.

The annoying thing is that some 'boxing fans' do indeed seem to get really in to the whole financial side of the sport. Especially where Floyd is concerned.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jan 2014, 9:02 pm

You just don't know who you're going to meet at a Mayweather fight. And believe me, it's nothing but a building full of A, B, and C-listers
Let's face it, who doesn't want to spend a small fortune going to see a Mayweather fight where he hardly gets out of 2nd gear then you get to look up and see Lindsey Lohan five seats away chatting the girl who used to play Rosanne's daughter?

Paaaaaaaaaarty!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 08 Jan 2014, 9:10 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
You just don't know who you're going to meet at a Mayweather fight. And believe me, it's nothing but a building full of A, B, and C-listers
Let's face it, who doesn't want to spend a small fortune going to see a Mayweather fight where he hardly gets out of 2nd gear then you get to look up and see Lindsey Lohan five seats away chatting the girl who used to play Rosanne's daughter?

Paaaaaaaaaarty!

When I went I met Rhino from Gladiators, it does not get much more A list.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 08 Jan 2014, 9:23 pm

Hard to understand how people have him as a top 10 atg.

This level of cherry picking voids the legacy his talent could have warranted.

But as he has said himself repeatidly he doesn't care so why should we?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jan 2014, 9:24 pm

Rowley wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Paaaaaaaaaarty!

When I went I met Rhino from Gladiators, it does not get much more A list.
My ex got Rio from Gladiators to autograph one of those pointy foam fingers...and only had to travel to the Bradford Alhambra to do it.

I'm not sure how to quantify that in terms of alphabet rankings but there's certainly an element of Spinal Tap involved.

Reminds me of that time Hatton was fighting in Manchester and one of the most famous faces in the audience was the guy who played Les Battersby....a couple of years later and Hatton tells us Russell Crowe is asking for permission to come and see him after he beat Kostya

Ya friggin' la-de-da git, Hatton

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 08 Jan 2014, 9:46 pm

He's had too many yes of leeches around him agreeing to everything he says and no one tells him different and his ego is too big.

Although both are not huge challenges Maidana is a more legitimate fight than Khan on paper as he's a settled WW and has a strap and beaten Broner etc but I think Khan is the challenging fight for Mayweather.

We should know end Jan.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jan 2014, 9:57 pm

[i]Floyd Mayweather Jr. has dismissed Manny Pacquiao's recent victory over Brandon Rios as a win over “a blown-up lightweight” and referenced the eight-division titlewinner's tax issues as “68 million problems” that “he wants me to solve,” during a recent video interview with FightHype.com.

Fair enough but then Guerrero was a blown up LW & Khan also was a LW, but lets not let consistency get in the way. Seems Floyds got/had 68 million reasons not to fight Manny, strange we don't hear Manny bitching on about Floyd the same way. Its one excuse after another, nobody pleads their innocence like the guilty!

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 08 Jan 2014, 10:01 pm

All the thread needs now is Trussman and it'll explode.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jan 2014, 10:10 pm

Boxtthis wrote:All the thread needs now is Trussman and it'll explode.

Wait for it! Then Haz joins in!

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 08 Jan 2014, 10:16 pm

Yes Floyd because clearly Alvarez, Guerrero, Cotto, Ortiz and Mosley have all done much more than Manny has to deserve a fight with you!

It makes me laugh how people make out that Manny Dodged this fight... From the word go Floyd did not want the fight even though he makes out he wants to fight for the fans while every fan in the world clearly wanted that fight.

Back when the fight was being pushed Manny was a genuine threat to Floyd, had the speed and angles that would have asked big questions.

Now Manny has showed signs of not quite being done and dusted and with the ever growing possibility that Floyd may start aging, he is still dodging the fight.

Dont get me wrong Floyd is a GREAT fighter and the best in the world at the moment, But Manny through his career has been a genuine threat and the kind of fight Floyd should jump on to really cement a place up there.

I think Floyd would beat Manny now though, But if you look back fighters like Alvarez and Guerrero they are not the same pedigree and experience in big fights as Manny.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Thu 09 Jan 2014, 12:11 am

They will be each other's last fights whether it's part of his 6 fight deal or he has another one! Only way they get in the ring sooner is if Floyd gets beats

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 09 Jan 2014, 12:13 am

The thing is, the fight with Pacquiao will probably happen in 2015. When Pacquiao is past it and only fighting because he needs the money. Mayweather will change his tune then and it will be how Pacquiao is a great fighter and how Mayweather is giving the fans the fight everyone wants to see. His methods are so obvious. I dont get why people worship him and make excuses for a career littered with cherry picking. Its an awful attitude and policy for real boxing fans who dont really care how much Mayweather is making but want to see the best possible matches.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 09 Jan 2014, 12:27 am

Rowley wrote:

It seems to be the case. A lot of boxing fans now act like part time promoters. Things like the best fights, biggest challenges, dominating divisions and so on take a back seat to where a boxer is "pound for pound" and what fights make financial sense. Mayweather is a reflection/product of changing values.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 09 Jan 2014, 12:42 am

In the past I've sided with Floyd mainly because of the drug test issue (which I still think all should do).

If Manny agreed to a 20% stake, all drug testing, no Arum there would still be something Floyd would stipulate to prevent the fight.

The thing is I think Floyd wins comfortably which makes it all the more frustrating.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 09 Jan 2014, 12:58 am

Valero's Conscience wrote:In the past I've sided with Floyd mainly because of the drug test issue (which I still think all should do).

If Manny agreed to a 20% stake, all drug testing, no Arum there would still be something Floyd would stipulate to prevent the fight.

The thing is I think Floyd wins comfortably which makes it all the more frustrating.

They're both to blame, although the proportion of blame shifts from each of the them on different issues. The fight has also lost most of its lustre now, much to the disgrace of both fighters and their promotional teams. I too think Floyd takes Manny apart easily now, but would have loved to have seen the fight 2-3 years ago.

Aside from that debate, which has been done to death, and will never end chiefly due to the stupidity of hardcore fans on both sides, I think its safe to say that most people will read Floyd's comments here with distaste. He says very little worthy of respect. His value system seems to  revolve exclusively around money and being able to tell people exactly how much money he has. He's a pretty wretched example of a human (exaggerated persona or not).

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Thu 09 Jan 2014, 1:18 am

catchweight wrote:
Rowley wrote:

It seems to be the case. A lot of boxing fans now act like part time promoters. Things like the best fights, biggest challenges, dominating divisions and so on take a back seat to where a boxer is "pound for pound" and what fights make financial sense. Mayweather is a reflection/product of changing values.

Boxing has always been about money

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 09 Jan 2014, 1:23 am

Diamond in the rough wrote:
catchweight wrote:
Rowley wrote:

Boxing has always been about money

Not to the fans.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 09 Jan 2014, 1:33 am

should Manny cut Arum?
www.boxingscene.com/pacquiao-adviser-bob-arum-free-manny-floyd--73368

Did Floyd refuse to fight Margarito? Thus creating a sequence of events which has lead to this moment?

www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-arum-why-business-with-coward--73426

It's actually quite sad when one fighter has this much power
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 09 Jan 2014, 1:40 am

That's the issue for Pac now, Kingraf. HE has no cards whatsoever with Floyd. Pac would be lucky to get half the $40 mill he was apparently going to get three years ago. This saga is the worst in boxing history. Utterly infuriating to hear this cr*p for going on 5 years now. Both of them have let the sport down IMO.

Pac should have tested, fact. If only to shut Floyd up and show him up as a ducker if he didn't then go on to fight him. The cold war with Arum. All of it. Infuriating.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 09 Jan 2014, 1:52 am

"Pac should have tested" - that's a fair line, but Floyd would point blank refuse in any case - I mean he refused 24 months ago because was asking for 50/50, and he is refusing now because Manny can't realistically ask for 50/50....
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Thu 09 Jan 2014, 2:04 am

kingraf wrote:"Pac should have tested" - that's a fair line, but Floyd would point blank refuse in any case - I mean he refused 24 months ago because was asking for 50/50, and he is refusing now because Manny can't realistically ask for 50/50....

Don't think he would've refused he has already signed for the fight was only the drug testing to begin with he said 14 days pacman said 21! Fight never happened and since then Floyd is making up more rules but as he's got more power he will continue to do so until he gets a low ppv or beat

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 09 Jan 2014, 2:11 am

Had he already signed for the fight? I didn't know that - I've never heard Floyd, or GBP claim to have signed for the fight at any stage... In any case, I think signing on for the fight, when such a crucial clause hadn't been finalised sounds a little... like a lie.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 09 Jan 2014, 2:12 am

I'm finding it hard to defend Floyd - its all subjective, the only people who really know are Floyd Mayweather and his team as to why the fight isn't being made.

Something interesting I read was that Mayweather wanted to fight De La Hoya before he fought Margarito, something Arum didn't want to do because it meant working with De La Hoya - so Floyd left Arum and Arum called him a coward for doing so.

Not sure how true that is of course, but it adds weight to the fact that Floyd will pick and choose his fighters rather than face his legitimate contenders.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Jan 2014, 2:14 am

**** THE PAIR OF THEM.

Wastes of DNA, blood and organs.

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Thu 09 Jan 2014, 4:57 am

kingraf wrote:Had he already signed for the fight? I didn't know that - I've never heard Floyd, or GBP claim to have signed for the fight at any stage... In any case, I think signing on for the fight, when such a crucial clause hadn't been finalised sounds a little... like a lie.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing--floyd-mayweather-and-manny-pacquiao-nearly-agreed-to-a-2010-fight.html

According to the above article by Yahoo sports, a contract was signed be Mayweather and all the conditions relating to the fight were agreed by both parties - except the issue of blood testing.

It appears to confirm that Floyd, at least at this point, was willing to take on his biggest rival. It's a shame he doesn't have the same attitude now.

Both fighters and their teams shoulder the responsibility of this fight not happening and ultimately it's the fans and the sport as a whole that pay the price.

Though sports fans remain desperate to see Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight Manny Pacquiao, in 2010 the superstar boxers came closer to fighting than anyone previously realized, according to a document obtained by Yahoo! Sports.

A contract sent on Dec. 11, 2009, by Golden Boy Promotions on behalf of Mayweather to Top Rank on behalf of Pacquiao proposed a 50-50 financial split between the sides for a fight that would have been held March 13, 2010.

The eight-page agreement is so detailed that it indicates which of the two fighters would step onto the scale first at the weigh-in (Pacquiao), who would walk to the ring first (Pacquiao), who would be introduced first (Mayweather) and who had first choice of the locker room (Mayweather).

It detailed that the bout would have been on HBO Pay-Per-View at a cost of $59.95. Billing was to be "Mayweather vs. Pacquiao, presented by Top Rank, Golden Boy Promotions, Mayweather Promotions and M-P Promotions in association with [approved sponsors and the site]."

A Mayweather-Pacquiao bout is expected to be the largest-grossing fight in history, in which total revenues could reach $300 million. Experts have predicted the fight would sell between 2.5 million and 3 million pay-per-views in the U.S.

Given that Mayweather's May 5 bout against Miguel Cotto was priced at $69.95, it would not be unreasonable for Mayweather-Pacquiao to be priced at $79.95 or more. At $79.95, it would generate a whopping $199.875 million if it reached 2.5 million pay-per-view buys.

Pacquiao's side declined the 2009 contract offer because Pacquiao objected to Mayweather's request for the drug testing. Though Pacquiao has subsequently agreed to Mayweather's demands for random blood and urine testing, the sides have not been able to reach agreement on a deal"

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 09 Jan 2014, 5:35 am

still doesn't seem quite right... can't for the life of me understand why you set up legally binding contract and sign it when you haven't even sorted out a potential roadblock. Then it gets "leaked"... Manny agrees a while later, and suddenly Floyd wants 14 days instead of 24? Surely Floyd can't now make these demands if he's given his signature, and Manny just needs to sign?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 09 Jan 2014, 5:52 am

Who really cares any more, both are to blame.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Thu 09 Jan 2014, 9:03 am

Why would Manny not want to fight Floyd? He has lost before and most people think Floyd is the better fighter anyway. For Manny its the biggest pay day out there for him and if he looses then its not the end of the world.

Floyd on the other hand has a 0 to lose, which admittedly now looks like Manny would not take that 0 away, although with his talent and experience he is still probably his biggest threat at this weight.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 09 Jan 2014, 9:10 am

Of course Pacquiao wants the fight now, he has nothing to lose, the point is why they were unable to come to an agreement 3 years ago something they are both at fault for.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu 09 Jan 2014, 9:38 am

Does manny really owe the taxman 68 million?

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 09 Jan 2014, 9:27 pm

A couple of interesting things in there. Firstly I don't believe Floyd phoned Pacman to ask for a fight only to be told F*** you, why would he have phoned him. He has a team around him to handle such negotiations and I would doubt even more that Pacman would handle his own.

Now, this statement:

“First he wanted 50/50; now he's like, ‘Floyd, give me anything. Throw an old, desperate dog a bone.’ This man got 68 million problems. Now he wants Floyd Mayweather to solve his problems when he was just saying he's on the same level as me.”

It could be interpreted as Manny is desparate to fight Floyd and will now swallow his pride to make the fight happen. The issue of tax sounds like it is more from Arum's side than Manny's and Arum has said that it has all been paid (and Arum's a very trustworthy guy....).

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down