The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who?

+12
Bristolian
rodders
HongKongCherry
ScarletSpiderman
Chunky Norwich
Geordie
bedfordwelsh
Cymroglan
Shifty
beshocked
Bathite
HERSH
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which club would suit him best?

Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_lcap3%Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_lcap13%Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 4 ]
Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_lcap16%Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 5 ]
Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_lcap3%Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_lcap6%Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]
Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_lcap0%Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_lcap13%Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 4 ]
Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_lcap6%Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_lcap10%Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 3 ]
Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_lcap0%Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_lcap23%Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 31

Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Empty Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who?

Post by HERSH Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 14:00

So the talented No8 has chosen England, at long last, I mean was it really that hard a choice to play for the country of your birth or to play for one of its greatest rivals on the field of play?

So will he have to find himself a club in England if so who would want him?

I for one would like to see him in a Bath shirt being a brizzle lad I'm sure he'd be interested, the new facilities at Farleigh House are stunning and world class.

But this does throw up an interesting problem for the new England management do they select him now for 1st XV duties and to secure his future to the red rose or doe they offer him a Saxons place and risk losing him to the Red shirt of Wales?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16410581.stm
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Empty Re: Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who?

Post by Bathite Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 14:05

One area we don't need signings is back row mate. Think Fearns is the man that will be battling Morgan for the England shirt in the long term.

I'm sure Saints would be interested, as they only have Wilson at the moment and Sarries might be if Joubert leaves (apparently). Maybe Irish as well and also Wasps lacking a bit in back row.

So basically, anywhere!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who? Empty Re: Ben Morgan looking for a new club? if so who?

Post by HERSH Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 14:11

But his a local lad Bathite, that always goes down well at the Rec.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 14:14

I think Saints would suit Morgan best.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 14:18

You are aware he's contracted till the end of 2013 with the Scarlets, right? Can't see him going anywhere for a while.

If he went anywhere I'd bet it would be Gloucester, him being from that area.

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 14:21

Contracts can be bought out.

Bath and the Scarlets have had close ties in the past, maybe a couple of player loans would be part of the deal.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 14:23

rugbydreamer wrote:You are aware he's contracted till the end of 2013 with the Scarlets, right? Can't see him going anywhere for a while.

If he went anywhere I'd bet it would be Gloucester, him being from that area.
I think if he was selected for England in the 6 Nations and the English coach asked all his players to come back and play in England, then he would return. I also don't think the Scarlets would stand in his way, they are not a nasty selfish bunch as a region, they'd understand.

The problem is big strong back row forwards who get you over the gain line are very rare in Wales, unless the Quinell family production line has a teenage prodigy in their academy. Maybe if we gene spliced Scott Quinell, with a bull and a grey hound we might get something useful? Erm
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 14:24

Sensible move he should play for England and he probably knows that he would have a better chance of getting a few caps with England.

As for finding a new club who knows what his form will be like in two years time.
Personally I don't think he has made as much of a impact this season .

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 14:25

Gloucester would snap him up as they were gutted to lose Delve and Morgan very much his mould of player.

But he's under contract so there's a financial element to it there as well, I guess it will depend on how strict lancaster wants to be with the playing in England rule.

Also if he stayed put and played and Lancaster picked him then I can't see much co-operation in terms of releasing other than when required.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 14:26

Can't see the Scarlets loaning him out to be honest, he fits in too well with our style of play.

Can't see him being bought out either, because whilst we have players like Murphy coming through, we don't have a like for like replacement for him yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 14:29

I think Sale would be an interesting choice.....

An amibtious manager, full of young English talent....doing very well.

But then isnt he a massive Glocester fan...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 14:30

Alyn - it's not about the Scarlets standing in his way but they have to look after themselves first. If they don't have an adequate replacement for Morgan, I honestly can't see them selling him before his contract is up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 14:30

bedfordwelsh wrote:Gloucester would snap him up as they were gutted to lose Delve and Morgan very much his mould of player.

But he's under contract so there's a financial element to it there as well, I guess it will depend on how strict lancaster wants to be with the playing in England rule.

Also if he stayed put and played and Lancaster picked him then I can't see much co-operation in terms of releasing other than when required.

Well he's ditched Easter etc...and yet Palmer is still in the squad so i dont think that would actaully matter now...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 14:33

rugbydreamer wrote:Alyn - it's not about the Scarlets standing in his way but they have to look after themselves first. If they don't have an adequate replacement for Morgan, I honestly can't see them selling him before his contract is up.
What about Aaron Shingler? He is big enough for the back row, but also very, very athletic.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 14:39

He's not a no 8 Alyn, no chance at all. 6 is his best position and he can occasionally play lock (but is too lightweight for it really). Very talented player, one who's benefited hugely from getting experience on the 7s circuit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 14:42

There's some funny posts in this thread. "Lookign for a new club". I can only assume the OP knows Ben Morgan personally.

He's not going anywhere for the next 18 months.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 14:42

I don't see him going anywhere until the end of his contract personally. Also I think he would have to go to a side that play the sort of rugby that suits him, and not just a side that has the most cash etc.

Alyn - Shingler is a lock/blindside. Realistic number 8 options at PYS (ignoring Ben) are either Murphy or McCusker IMO.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 15:13

HERSH wrote:

I for one would like to see him in a Bath shirt being a brizzle lad I'm sure he'd be interested, the new facilities at Farleigh House are stunning and world class.

HERSH he was only born in Brizzle, he's really from Durzle which makes him practically Glaws (I'm happy to translate for anyone that requires it!).

He clearly isn't going anywhere for another year, but he does have strong links to the club and we need a strong ball carrying 8. He's already shown sense by declaring himself for English, so I'd expect this common sense to continue and he laugh at the opportunity to join Bath and come back home instead! Very Happy
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 15:36

But lets be honest here HKC his not known for rushing into things, Look how long it's taken him to decide to play for England because his English, seeing as his not the sharpest tool in the Shed (pardon the pun) he probably is best suited to play for Glaws. Whistle
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 15:39

London Welsh?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 15:44

WHY?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 15:47

rugbydreamer wrote:He's not a no 8 Alyn, no chance at all. 6 is his best position and he can occasionally play lock (but is too lightweight for it really).
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Alyn - Shingler is a lock/blindside. Realistic number 8 options at PYS (ignoring Ben) are either Murphy or McCusker IMO.
Yup I'm aware of where he plays, I think he's a fantastic front lineout jumper myself, I was just looking at option IF Ben Morgan was to leave, could Shingler possibly be developed as a number 8 for the Scarlets region.
I think he has the size and speed to do a good job there.

roddersm wrote:London Welsh?
Only washed up Scottish players go there. Whistle
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 15:49

HERSH wrote:WHY?

It will help him settle into a new culture.. Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 15:50

He doesn't have the size to play no8, Alyn. He doesn't even have the size to play at lock as 1st choice. He's too lightweight for those positions. If he bulks up anymore, he'll lose his speed.

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 15:52

So his not that good then!

surprise surprise a player based in Wales has been overhyped. Wink
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 16:26

rugbydreamer wrote:He doesn't have the size to play no8, Alyn. He doesn't even have the size to play at lock as 1st choice. He's too lightweight for those positions. If he bulks up anymore, he'll lose his speed.
Height 1.96 m (6' 5")
Weight 106 kg (16 st 9 lb)

I wouldn't fancy tackling him!

Besides he is taller than Toby Faletau and only 2kg lighter!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 16:32

Faletau is still growing! plus there is a school of though taht Faletau might end up being a better flanker then no8 anyways.

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 16:35

I thought he was 6ft 3in?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 17:00

I thought he was 6ft 3in?

http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/rugby/people.php?player=90408&includeref=dynamic

http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/personnel.aspx?pr=209377

Which one? Smile
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 18:29

If he was a true Bristol Boy then xxxx should be the last club he wanted to play for. Anyway, as HKC says he grew up in Goucestershire didn't he? Seem to remember reading that his dad wants him to play in Cherry & White.

I have mixed feelings about him playing for England. He was asked before to pin his colours to the mast and decided not to. Seems to me that he thought he should be exempt from going through the ranks, such as the Saxons, like other players should. The only reason I would pick him is because we don't have that many other options. My guess is that is why he chose England. Pre-World Cup it seemed like Brand might make the shirt his own, whilst Falatau was a bit of an unknown, hence he appeared to have a good chance of a career with Wales. Now it's a complete role-reversal and he remembers he's English. Don't want to start another pointless nationality debate, but at least Manu Tuilagi made his loyalties clear from the start.

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 18:38

Bristolian exactly my thoughts but kept them to myself knowing full well that some would take them the wrong way.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 18:39

Bristolian, Attwood is a proper Bristol boy, yet despite saying he never would, he joined Barf. Hopefully Heineken Cup rugby and not money will sway Morgan to come to his spiritual home! Wink
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 18:57

HKCherry,

Much like football I don't think there is any loyalty in rugby anymore now that its proffesional.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 19:04

He's coming to Glaws to join an ever-improving pack, and the most dynamic back line in the Jeff.

The future's bright, the future's Cherry and White Yahoo

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 19:08

HKC, don't even get me started on Attwood, it's almost as bad as Ronnie joining them. Hopefully one day Bristol will be back in the Premiership, with a sugar daddy and playing Heineken Cup rugby, then this sort of thing wont happen anymore. Reckon it'll be about the same time as England & Wales say forget this rivalry malarky, let's be like the cricket team and play together.

Cymroglan, I think it's a fair point (suppose I would as I'm the one who expressed it). If I was good enough to play international rugby there's only one team I'd play for. If I had another offer the decision would take about 10 seconds before a polite "I'm honoured, but no thanks". Sure it'd be the same for you and most other fans as well.

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 19:12

Bristol,

I think it would be for everyone - well except these ones who have played for other countries lol.

Have said this many times before but the likes of Flutey, Luscombe, Moon, Morris and many others only played for their adopted country because they wern't good enough to get into their natural one.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 19:27

I don't think it's quite as clear cut as that though Bristolian (imo, obvs).

Sure Ben is English and you would think he'd want to play for them automatically, but remember, he got all his opprtunities in rugby in Wales. He has been conditiond and developed into a pro player in Wales. Got to argue whether he felt they'd stick by him and helped him more, feels he owes it etc etc there could be loads of factors to consider, but personally, I think he's made the right decision.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 19:37

Bedford, bit harsh on Flutey, pretty sure he was good enough for, and got capped by the Maori! I'd also say it's the other way around with Morgan. Dreamer.. you are right things are seldom clear cut, but just as a personal reaction, Morgan's actions ealier this year left me unimpressed. Guess I'm just getting grumpier every year.

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 19:42

His dad is a Gloucester man and Ben himself supports them, so I think he'll eventually end up there. I suspect he'll see the rest of his contract out first, he owes the Scarlets his living after-all.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 19:47

Yep, agree with Cumbrian there, he should see out his stay at Scarlets. The point about owing them a living I suppose also ties in with Dreamers points.

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 19:48

You're not even that old yet Bristolian!

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 19:49

Dreamer, I support Bristol and England - it's enough to age anyone prematurely.

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 19:51

Laugh

Aye, I suppose so.

God know what supporting Scarlets and Wales is going to do to me then Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 20:00

This is a nice surprise, normally on these boards Anglo-Welsh debates turn into a my team's better slanging match. If we're gonna do a my team's worse argument I'll start of with: "I'm looking forward to a home game against Esher and a Six Nations without two of our three best players". Beat that!

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 20:02

I'm looking forward to seeing Wales try and play without Shane for the first time in yonks, and start without or two first choice locks. Sure we'll just throw in some teenagers again and hope for the best. You know, a brave perfrmance that ultimately just ends in a plucky loss. The usual Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 20:22

I think he'll hand around with Scarlets for a while, but if he is to move, I think it'll be to Harlequins, as Eater isn't going to last forever so soon enough they'll be looking for a replacement 8, and on their current form who wouldn't want to play for them?

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 20:36

Bristolian wrote:This is a nice surprise, normally on these boards Anglo-Welsh debates turn into a my team's better slanging match. If we're gonna do a my team's worse argument I'll start of with: "I'm looking forward to a home game against Esher and a Six Nations without two of our three best players". Beat that!

I was looking forward to seeing Esher visit Old Deer Park the other day... It was dire from a LW perspective.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 20:56

Won't be Quins, they've got the excellent (future England) Guest and promising young York. Gloucester have Narraway (I'm not the biggest fan for international duty, but he's a good club player, not to mention apprenticing captain), Qera and young Cox. Bath have the quality England prospect Fearns to bring on, as well as Taylor & Skirving in the squad.

If Joubert is moving on I think Saracens with Jackson Wray as back up would be more likely. Saints would make similar sense, they only really have Wilson (in his 30s) with flanker Dowson covering. As would the currently less enticing Wasps, who are making do with the often injured Hart.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 21:03

Looseheaded wrote:I think he'll hand around with Scarlets for a while, but if he is to move, I think it'll be to Harlequins, as Eater isn't going to last forever so soon enough they'll be looking for a replacement 8, and on their current form who wouldn't want to play for them?

Harlequins are the one place I don't see him going to be honest. Nick Easter may be shuffling off into the international sunset, but he's still more than effective at club level. I could easily see him play on for 2 possibly 3 season. After him Harlequins have got Tom Guest, an England cap in waiting for many people. After him they have Chris York, an excellent young no.8 who was in the England U20's and has made 7 appearances for the club this season. After him they have Joe Trayfoot (U20's) and Jack Clifford (U20's). In all they have/ are currently supplying 5 no.8's to England at various levels. Obviously they won't all make it at Quins, but the club is well stocked with first choice and potential no.8's
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Wed 4 Jan 2012 - 21:04

I know you beat me to it, but I'd already typed that out damn it!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next