The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond

+16
RuggerRadge2611
maestegmafia
IanBru
doctor_grey
GreatEight
damngoodOvalball
Knowsit17
Scot Abroad
Tattie Scones RRN
HERSH
Imperialbigdave
George Carlin
21st Century Schizoid Man
nickj
TJ1
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond Empty Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 Dec 2011, 11:00 am

An interesting piece in today's Herald: Scottish 10 set me thinking about the relative merits of the different flyhalves that Scotland can choose from for the upcoming 6Ns and beyond. For once, the last of candidates is fairly long, even if none of them yet would automatically merit the tag of 'international class':

Duncan Weir - Glasgow Warriors

Has come up thru the age group ranks, and was arguably Scotland's best player at last summer's JWC. Flawless kicking game, nearly in the Parks mould, but can struggle to get a backline moving

Ruaridh Jackson
- Glasgow Warriors

Also came thru the age group ranks and seemed to be taking his chances in last year's 6Ns and at the RWC in NZ. Picked up an unlucky hamstring injury in the final match vs England. Kicking suspect, but is capable of getting a backline moving, altho it doesn't always come off

Harry Leonard - Edinburgh

Again, an age group star, has really taken his chance at Edinburgh this year in his first pro season. Has filled in for Phil Godman as he recovers from injury and taken advantage of David Blair's departure. Kicks beautifully, but is more of a ball in hand merchant, happy to attack the line himself or set his backline moving. Has been hauled off by Bradley at half-time in a couple of recent European games, altho that's seemed overly cautious to me

Dan Parks - Cardiff Blues

The man christened 'Desparate' for some of his more woeful performances, but every time you write him off, he springs a surprise - he is the marmite of 10s, a player that will keep the scoreboard ticking over and secure no end of territory for your team, even if that territory only leads to points accumulating in 3s. Can't tackle, won't tackle, has to be hidden on a blindside wing in defence

Phil Godman
- Edinburgh

Out for a huge chunk of last season and only just getting back to full fitness now. A confidence player that can be sublime and terrible in equal measure, altho we've seen more of the latter than I'd care for. More of a ball in hand first five-eighth than a territorial 10, altho he does actually have a decent boot on him

Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
- Scotland 7s/Edinburgh's academy

The youngest of the lot, talked up as having huge promise, and away with the permanent 7s squad at the moment. From all that I have read about him, he is an all-rounder in the Rutherford mould

So, who would you pick for the 6Ns squad and beyond? I've ignored one or two outside candidates such as Grieg Laidlaw (he must stay at scrum-half even if we use him as cover for 10), Matt Scott (seems to have the makings of a very useful IC) and Stuart Hogg (has been a revelation for Glasgow at fullback this season, even if he did play 10 as a schoolboy and Lineen thinks that 15 isn't his best position)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond Empty Re: Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond

Post by TJ1 Wed 14 Dec 2011, 12:33 pm

Weir.

However there is a few games to go yet and its a close thing between him and Jackson. Weir needs to develop a running game that he does not really have. Reminds me a bit of Craig Chalmers in playing style

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond Empty Re: Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond

Post by nickj Wed 14 Dec 2011, 1:32 pm

I know I'm going to get some criticism for this, but I think we'll stick with Jackson and I'm pretty happy with that. The trouble is that until Morrison loses the 12 shirt, or Shlong develops a passing game, we're not going to get the best out of Jackson.

I'd love to see Weir given a chance, as he's been great this season (and last) but if Dan 'keeps the scoreboard ticking' for Cardiff, I think we'll see him on the bench for the 6 N's. Weir should be in the squad.

Its all to play for re the Summer Tour though, and I think we'll see a very young team travelling. I'd like to see Weir, Leonard, Scott et al tour.

Personally I'd like to see some of the youngsters blooded before the tour but I don't think Robbo will risk it.

Q - following his involvement with England's 'tour from hell', will Robbo shy away from touring with youngsters?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 Dec 2011, 1:37 pm

nickj wrote:I know I'm going to get some criticism for this, but I think we'll stick with Jackson and I'm pretty happy with that. The trouble is that until Morrison loses the 12 shirt, or Shlong develops a passing game, we're not going to get the best out of Jackson.

I'd love to see Weir given a chance, as he's been great this season (and last) but if Dan 'keeps the scoreboard ticking' for Cardiff, I think we'll see him on the bench for the 6 N's. Weir should be in the squad.

Its all to play for re the Summer Tour though, and I think we'll see a very young team travelling. I'd like to see Weir, Leonard, Scott et al tour.

Personally I'd like to see some of the youngsters blooded before the tour but I don't think Robbo will risk it.

Q - following his involvement with England's 'tour from hell', will Robbo shy away from touring with youngsters?

nick, sincerely hope not, will be gutted if he does. Think you're right about 12 too, but if Robbo starts by picking a 12, then selects a 10 based on his 12, that is completely arse-over-Holly Wilaboobie if you ask me

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 14 Dec 2011, 2:23 pm

Agreed. You pick your 10 then build a team around him. I'd love to see Jackson with young Matthew Scott as his 12. Who, in turn, is partnered by Nick De Luca. As long as the defensive system was robust we would be away. Picking the right 10 dictates the whole backline IMO. That said I'm also excited about what Weir and Leonard offer.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 14 Dec 2011, 5:32 pm

Remember chaps that Bennett will have recovered from his cruciate damage soon at Clermond - he is a bloody talented centre

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 14 Dec 2011, 6:58 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Remember chaps that Bennett will have recovered from his cruciate damage soon at Clermond - he is a bloody talented centre

Cross everything Schizoid - a cruciate ligament rupture usually means 6 months out minimum and he did it right at the end of August.

No idea whether Robinson will even look at him for the AIs squad - he really needs some game time with Clermont first. Barsteward luck.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 Dec 2011, 7:49 pm

Can't see Bennett making it back in time sadly, chaps, but hope that he gets a spot on the summer tour. Would expect him to hold the 13 jersey come 2015

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 14 Dec 2011, 8:01 pm

He needs to be playing first team rugby for clermont for at least a full season before he should be considered for international games. As far as im aware he hasnt played once for them yet, though I could be wrong.

Back to parks however, and i was watching the video of wilkinsons "kicks, hits and injuries" on the beeb website, and it had that try against us in 2007, the one where parks couldve tackled Wilkinson, but didnt even attempt it. Brought back a lot of anger...
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:09 pm

Nice to have list of options longer than two.

Good and Desperate should not be allowed to wear the thistle again. The first is simply not international class and the second has a game that is stifling the team.

Sam Clyne is doing well with the 7s - great idea to take him and it will get his fitness levels right up. We should keep him off the international scene for another couple of years.

Two things I've like views on:

1. I haven't had the chance to see Edinburgh much this season. How much of a real international class prospect is Leonard. Is he as good as Weir? He sounds a bit like Blair, actually.

2. I'm not sure I understand the constant references to Weir being unable to spark a backline. Is this really true? Isn't it more reflective of having Morrison inside him much of the time?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:14 pm

Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond.

They're hardly spoilt for choice Laugh
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:34 pm

HERSH wrote:Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond.

They're hardly spoilt for choice Laugh
Hersh - mainland Germany called. They want their appaling sense of "humour" and natual ability to antagonise back.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 15 Dec 2011, 1:34 pm

Blown away by your rugby knowledge again, Hersh Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:06 pm

I'd go for Jackson against England to start and when we've pulled away from them by around 20 points, I'd stick Weir on with 15 minutes to go.

Laidlaw at 9 though for the kicking so we can have Hogg at 15.

Can't wait for this xmas crap to pass so we can get the 6N underway.

Last edited by Tattie Scones RRN on Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong to put Wright)

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:09 pm

I'd go for Parks.

'On his day' his a good Fly half.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:14 pm

HERSH wrote:I'd go for Parks.

'On his day' his a good Fly half.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Blown away by your rugby knowledge again, Hersh Laugh

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:15 pm

Mind you Hersh, to give you credit - as a Bath fan, you must know cr@p when you see it. Run
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:16 pm

Do Scotland play rugby? Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond 3513163098
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:27 pm

HERSH wrote:Do Scotland play rugby? Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond 3513163098
An interesting question, much in the same vain as 'why does Hersh exist?' - pls go and spoil someone else's thread, there's a good fella

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:33 pm

I gave my opinion, I'd go for Parks, Jacksons ok maybe in a couple of years he'll do a good job, and as for spoiling the thread that was already done my friend at the start.

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:48 pm

George Carlin wrote:Nice to have list of options longer than two.

2. I'm not sure I understand the constant references to Weir being unable to spark a backline. Is this really true? Isn't it more reflective of having Morrison inside him much of the time?

He is a very good kicker, decent passer, not much of a running game. Reads the game well. rather reminds me of Craig Chalmers in how he plays.

Bette rthan parks as he is not a defensive liability and he seems to have good confidence. Not the finished article by a long way yet. Jackson at his best is a better atttacking prospect with the ball in hand but Weir is more reliable. Needs to develop a running game tho.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 15 Dec 2011, 2:56 pm

Weir is solid defensively, especially for a wee man. He’s got some boot on him. How he only takes 2 steps at penalties and conversions and still puts it that far is beyond me. I do agree that he needs to work on his running game and he sometimes makes some immature decisions. But that’s to be expected from the youngsters. They get better with experience. While I don’t think he should be starting the England game, a place on the bench and involvement with the squad will do him the world of good. The summer tour is the time for the youngsters to make their mark on the international stage.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 3:49 pm

I'd say try and centre this 6N around Leonard and one of Jackson/Weir (with the other keeping busy for Glasgow), with either Parks or Godman waiting on the wings to provide a more experienced option if needed. Whoever out of Jackson/Weir isn't selected could then star in the summer or next season. You really couldn't wish for a better base from which to build a solid depth at 10.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:05 pm

Personally, I think Scotland are the dark horses for the next 6N

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 4:22 pm

damngoodOvalball wrote:Personally, I think Scotland are the dark horses for the next 6N

Except when they play in their reserve kit, then they'll be the bright horses Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond 3845856932

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by GreatEight Thu 15 Dec 2011, 7:05 pm

I'm delighted there is now some sort of choice at ten it's been a real problem for years. I think Jackson looked very good in New Zealand and Weir gives a different option - like Parks - but better @)

Leonard? Give him another 18 months to find his feet, he's only played what? Four games at pro level?!?

GreatEight

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 15 Dec 2011, 7:42 pm

Knowsit17 - take it you are English/Welsh or have strayed in from the wendyball posts as your knowledge of Scottish Rugby is woeful. If you honestly think we should have Leonard start with Godman/Parks on the bench you are seriously deluded. Leonard is way behind both Jackson and Weir and is not even the best 10 at Edinburgh - Laidlaw is the best 10 (and 9). Godamn and Parks have had their day (unfortunately their days went on far too long) - even a stubborn, conservative coach like Robinson would have to acknowledge that. warning

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 15 Dec 2011, 7:44 pm

Forgot to say Hersh please GTAFFTY Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond 3181402168

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 9:10 pm

The Edinburgh / Glasgow double header and the Edinburgh / Cardiff games will show a lot.

Its all to play for still. For me its still Cussiter / weir with Jackson and Laidlaw on the bench.

If Robinson picks parks there will be a riot. we need to get the outside runners going

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:25 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Dan Parks - Cardiff Blues
he is the marmite of 10s
Could not agree more. Looks like Marmite, plays like merde.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:23 pm

I know that scotland are always supposed to be the below radar threat, and I also appreciate belief in ones team and know that they gave England a scare in the RWC. But the poster who suggest a bench change once Scotland are 20 clear of England. Scotland haven't scored a try since the end of world war 2. It's like they still think tries are subject to rationing. England might be awful but the day that they go 20 points clear of England or any top 10 team is the day I win the quadruple rollover euromillions. It will happen obviously

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:33 pm

Damngood,

Am I going to have to explain the nature of irony?

[sigh]

I guess I'd better get out the sock puppets.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Thu 15 Dec 2011, 11:49 pm

I guess he thought you were welsh with your massive over optimism Wink

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 16 Dec 2011, 12:06 am

TJ wrote:I guess he thought you were welsh with your massive over optimism Wink
May have moved on from trolling the welsh to one of the few Nations his beloved team have beaten recently. Cant wait til your lads put paid to that in the Calcutta Cup this year.

Anyhow... Reading through your debate, I agree that Jackson is the man, Weir is back up and anyone who rates Dan Parks should not be taken even vaguely seriously.

Also agree that inside center is your biggest issue, has been since John Leslie retired.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 2:33 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Knowsit17 - take it you are English/Welsh or have strayed in from the wendyball posts as your knowledge of Scottish Rugby is woeful. If you honestly think we should have Leonard start with Godman/Parks on the bench you are seriously deluded. Leonard is way behind both Jackson and Weir and is not even the best 10 at Edinburgh - Laidlaw is the best 10 (and 9). Godamn and Parks have had their day (unfortunately their days went on far too long) - even a stubborn, conservative coach like Robinson would have to acknowledge that. warning

Initially I hesitated about picking Leonard. In terms of development he probably is behind both Weir and Jackson but seeing as both play for Glasgow one could stay behind for the club's benefit during the 6N. You could still easily call them up whenever you wanted in the tournament. Anyway what I said was just a suggestion from a sceptic neutral, not what I believe must happen. Nothing to get bent up about.

Parks is still helping the Blues win games, despite the moaning of some it's the result that counts first and foremost. He might not be a big-game player but this 6N won't be seen as the biggest of occasions for most sides, for many it's a new beginning. Godman is 29, hardly could be considered as having seen his day. In any case I didn't suggest having both in the squad, I said one for the sake of experience as Jackson, Weir and Leonard have next to none in comparison.

Curiously, what makes you jump to the conclusion that English/Welsh people have no knowledge of Scottish rugby? I'll have you know I had a Scottish grandmother Rolling Eyes

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri 16 Dec 2011, 10:28 am

damngoodOvalball wrote:I know that scotland are always supposed to be the below radar threat, and I also appreciate belief in ones team and know that they gave England a scare in the RWC. But the poster who suggest a bench change once Scotland are 20 clear of England. Scotland haven't scored a try since the end of world war 2. It's like they still think tries are subject to rationing. England might be awful but the day that they go 20 points clear of England or any top 10 team is the day I win the quadruple rollover euromillions. It will happen obviously

I have a name you know Sad

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:16 am

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:
damngoodOvalball wrote:I know that scotland are always supposed to be the below radar threat, and I also appreciate belief in ones team and know that they gave England a scare in the RWC. But the poster who suggest a bench change once Scotland are 20 clear of England. Scotland haven't scored a try since the end of world war 2. It's like they still think tries are subject to rationing. England might be awful but the day that they go 20 points clear of England or any top 10 team is the day I win the quadruple rollover euromillions. It will happen obviously

I have a name you know Sad
Don't listen Tattie, don't listen to them.
They don't understand you like we do. Hug
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:38 am

Jackson is the man in possesion for me, despite not being inspiring against the Dragons. He picked up an injury in the RWC and to be honest it would be unfair to bench or drop him from the Scotland setup when he played pretty well in the RWC.

Weir is a very good option but seems to be creeping a wee bit too much into the Dan Parks mould, albeit he can make his tackles instead of being turned into a speed bump.

In truth though I reckon it is in Leonard at Edinburgh that we'll get a running fly half. He is still young and I think would learn a lot from being included in the Scotland setup.

It will be interesting to see how Laidlaw gets on at 10 tonight against the Blues.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Fri 16 Dec 2011, 5:02 pm

Just wait till Hidalgo Clyne pulls on the shirt. With a name like that, youve got to be a cool customer.

Let this officially be the start of the Hidalgo Clyne bandwagon. Well start off slowly, but in about three weeks time, well be unstopable!
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 16 Dec 2011, 5:29 pm

This could be fun.

I heard that when Hidalgo Clyne does pushups, he pushes the world down.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Fri 16 Dec 2011, 5:42 pm

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Fri 16 Dec 2011, 6:43 pm

IanBru wrote:This could be fun.

I heard that Viggo Mortenson specifically asked to name that horse movie for sam, after Michael Hutchence came to him in a dream and told him of the boys potential.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Fri 16 Dec 2011, 6:49 pm

IanBru wrote:This could be fun.

So thats what Chuck Norris meant when he said that Hidalgo Clyne had the power of the population of china all jjumping at once...
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 16 Dec 2011, 9:54 pm

Tripping dudes ! Scotland's flyhalf for the 6Ns and beyond 3845856932

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sat 17 Dec 2011, 5:42 pm

Weir better than Jackson today IMO. laidlaw ( I didn't see the game tho) maybe the best of the lot yesterday.

Even a show and go from Weir and he nealry made it to teh line - and h made the try with some good running and vision.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sat 17 Dec 2011, 8:55 pm

I heard that before Chuck Norris goes to sleep every night he checks his closet for Sam Hidalgo-Clyne...
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sun 18 Dec 2011, 12:07 am

TJ wrote:Weir better than Jackson today IMO. laidlaw ( I didn't see the game tho) maybe the best of the lot yesterday.

Even a show and go from Weir and he nealry made it to teh line - and h made the try with some good running and vision.

Laidlaw was outstanding in the first half. controlled the game well, but most importantly, put people into space with just about every other touch of the ball. Set up Vissers try, set Mossy off on the run that he eventually ballsed up, and was pulling King and De luca forward with his passing all night.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 18 Dec 2011, 8:27 am

If Ansbro's fit at 13 Weir. If not R Lamont at 13 with Jackson at 10.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sun 18 Dec 2011, 9:35 am

Ansbro at 13? No way NDL has been superb for Edinburgh all season, and to be honest in this form simply must start. I would not be surprised to see King and NDL start for Scotland in the 6n.

Although in truth I would be happy if we started anyone other than Lamont and Morrison at 12.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 18 Dec 2011, 9:39 am

Lamont is no 12, but has deputised at 13 very successfully for the Scarlets (he even passes to the wing!)
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next