The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotlands 2nd Try Question

3 posters

Go down

Scotlands 2nd Try Question Empty Scotlands 2nd Try Question

Post by yappysnap Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:21 pm

Just seen the Scotland-France highlights and just need to clarify something. The second Scottish try starts with Barclay stealing the ball from the French side of the ruck after getting back to his feet on that side (behind a bound wall of French forwards who rucked over him).

Now I know a few seasons ago there were rules about the tackler being able to play the ball from anywhere, is this still the case though as I thought they'd been ammended?

It's at 2 mins on the video below.

http://www.rugbydump.com/2012/02/2370/france-leave-murrayfield-victorious-after-scotland-scare

It does seem to stump everyone when he does it, even the Scots and Barclay glance at Barnes who waves them on. So is this allowed? If so it's an incredible bit of skill from the flanker, if not i'm not sure what Barnes was watching...

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I havent seen a post about it.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Scotlands 2nd Try Question Empty Re: Scotlands 2nd Try Question

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:46 pm

yappy, tricky to see from that clip. My supposition was that Barclay is clearly the tackler, the "ruck" (if there is one, Malzieu doesn't look bound on the far side, and not sure if #17 joins from behind the back foot, plus there are no Scots in the "ruck") goes over the top of Barclay and Clerc, Barclay releases Clerc and gets back on his feet, and is entitles to play the ball with the "ruck" well past him?

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:47 pm

It wasn't a ruck. A ruck is formed when two opposing supporting players bind over the tackle area. As this did not happen there was no ruck and crucially no offside line. Barclay was free to play the ball.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 27 Feb 2012, 2:00 pm

Ah I get you, that's sort of what I thought, real good awareness by him to grab it and get the ball away.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 27 Feb 2012, 2:02 pm

Plus Parra's face was a picture, gets more entertaining to watch every time Very Happy

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Mon 27 Feb 2012, 2:15 pm

It is entertaining to watch. Smile

Its actually surpising how many times this happens at both test and club level and everybody assumes it is a ruck.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down