The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The player who double-bagelled Roger Federer ........

+6
laverfan
noleisthebest
polished_man
Chazfazzer
barrystar
lags72
10 posters

Go down

The player who double-bagelled Roger Federer ........ Empty The player who double-bagelled Roger Federer ........

Post by lags72 Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:59 pm

Well it's a blank week on the circuit as we eagerly anticipate the season-ending WTF London.

By way of diversion, here's a teaser prompted by the recent thread on the occasions the Big Four have been bagelled in their career :

Can anyone name the only guy who double-bagelled Swiss maestro Roger Federer (ie in the same match) ?

I reckon even laverfan will struggle with this one, but you have to promise to at least give it a go before checking the answer below

My only clue is that it happened before his first Slam win ..... Run

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/22/sports/tennis/22bagel.html

Last edited by lags72 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

lags72

Back to top Go down

The player who double-bagelled Roger Federer ........ Empty Re: The player who double-bagelled Roger Federer ........

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:47 pm

Was it a frenchman?

Back to top Go down

The player who double-bagelled Roger Federer ........ Empty Re: The player who double-bagelled Roger Federer ........

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:47 pm

Simon says a Frenchman.

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:00 pm

No.

(ok, another clue : it was actually a fellow Swiss national)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:00 pm

Rosset?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:04 pm

ha ha - nice one!
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:06 pm

I know, that other guy on the swiss DC team

haslek or hlasek, sthing like that?

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:12 pm

No - but due respect for having a guess (and now that you have done, feel free to check the link ...!)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:16 pm

Can't remember his name, but it was some Swiss dude who beat Roger Federer back when Roger was like 6 years old.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:33 pm

Well..... I did say the guy was Swiss......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:42 pm

Federer was ten and due to lack of numbers played in an older age category than originally intended, where he met a twelve year going on thirteen year old who dished out the bagels.

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:07 pm

Did you look first Nore Staat .... ??

If not, my compliments to you Sir !

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by polished_man Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:02 pm

Might be Alexandre, need to ask the great man ......
polished_man
polished_man

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:23 pm

polished_man wrote:Might be Alexandre, need to ask the great man ......
Doh Of course!!!!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:33 pm

laverfan wrote:I reckon even laverfan will struggle with this one, but you have to promise to at least give it a go before checking the answer below

I did not look, I promise.

Schmidli, IIRC. A recreational player now.

But now I will look at the link.

Edit: I had done this article last year on 606v1 (and researched this double bagel a bit) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A73370289

Last edited by laverfan on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:38 pm

You certainly do recall correctly laverfan !

VERY impressed Bubbly

Full story in my link above

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:05 pm

I remember watching a programme and they interviewed this guy. He said that it is quite an achievement and found it amusing considering he was older than Fed!

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:55 pm

May be you are not an 606 poster, coz I opened this topic long time back in 606, that guy is a military or police now, and yea is name is Reto Schmidli.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:53 am

I did hear about this story some years ago. Presumably this guy has dined out on his double bagel experience for years. If he's honest he'll aways have to say that, mind you, Roger was a tiny tot and I was about twice his size when we played. But, hey, it did happen. Have they ever met since ? A pic of the two having a good laugh, or even a hit together would be good.
Talking of pics, yes, that Bercy trophy was awful, ugly, weird.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:25 am

Longer standing members of the old 606 will recall that Roger was triple bagelled by Kuerten at the French open, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:26 am

bogbrush wrote:Longer standing members of the old 606 will recall that Roger was triple bagelled by Kuerten at the French open, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4.

Indeed I do - I believe I referred to mediter's triangulations on this scoreline in the Dr. Sincere nostalgia thread
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:56 am

barrystar/bogbrush - sounds fun ...... I was a member but not one of the 'longer-standing' ones and so I'm intrigued. Can you please expand a little, or perhaps a link if easier ....?

That match is presumably the one that (currently, at least) has its own little place in history as the last time Fed has exited a Slam before the QF stage. I remember Courier getting himself in a right mess on this when his clarity of expression proved worse than Federer's at a post-match on court AO interview ; even though Fed was the one who had just finished a tough match minutes earlier ... Cool

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:10 pm

barry - I remember the event but not the precise post/logic (not in the same way I can even now recall seeing the Premature Speculation post appear on screen!). Can you elaborate?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:24 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A54150707
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A24488751
http://www.menstennisforums.com/archive/index.php/t-109954.html

Some tidbits....

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:13 pm

I think that pretty much does it. I enjoyed this from one of the old 606 threads:

comment by Dr_Sincere (U2021784)
posted Jul 5, 2007
Roger Federer always struggles with players who refuse to buckle under the pressure, and as we all know, Hrbaty is nicknamed the 'Marathon Man' due to his record of five set wins. It is quite telling that the two other players on the tour who also never give up, Guillermo Canas and Rafael Nadal, have defeated Federer rather easily this year.

Poor old Dr - he was not to know that 2007 turned out to be Fed's best year vs. Rafa and he must have suffered untold agonies as Fed beat Nadal in the Wimbledon final 3 days later, subjected the good Dr. to the messy spejaculation incident at the USO Final vs. Djoko that year, and then limped his way towards the Slam record looking for much of 2008-2009 that he'd never get there.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:13 pm

Many thanks for digging out those links laverfan. Hugely entertaining !! Very Happy

As a relative late-comer to the old 606 I obviously missed a lot of quality banter back in those days.

I'm going off-topic on my own thread (it's pretty much run its course anyway I guess) but can't resist picking this as my personal 'hotshot' from the many witty exchanges in those links .... credit to poster vbrege for this gem of a response:

"Btw, when did AIR stop posting? I haven't seen him around lately.
================
Pretty much round about Slam 14 - he'd written 500 or so preparatory articles about another Fed failure at RG and fell in the commercial sized shredder he hired.

So sad.
"

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:22 pm

Mediter55, the gift that keeps on giving: http://news.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A47264835
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:23 pm

At last - a sighting of the good dr on a lonely hearts site:
http://www.webdate.com/main.php?a=user.profile&duid=6254691
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:39 pm

Yep, more good stuff there barrystar !

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:49 pm

Teh original triple bagel reference was in the old 5live messageboard. Here is another mediter example

http://www.menstennisforums.com/archive/index.php/t-103453.html

barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:31 pm

lags72 wrote:
I'm going off-topic on my own thread (it's pretty much run its course anyway I guess) but can't resist picking this as my personal 'hotshot' from the many witty exchanges in those links .... credit to poster vbrege for this gem of a response:

Vbrege is on MTL these days, on the Federer thread, if you care to read that. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:42 pm

This was what made 606 classic!

===========================

comment by Andy1073 (U1650793)
posted Jul 8, 2009

I agree entirely; when jousting with Impartial_Lion and/or Wise_Analyst you really had to concentrate; any factual inaccuracy and you'd blown it.

That's true actually. Arguing with Lion or Wise was at least a bit of a challenge - if only to keep up with their feats of logical contortionism.

My personal favourite was Mediter's assertion that Kuerten's 6-4 6-4 6-4 win over Federer in 2004 was a triple bagel. If I recall rightly he actually went to the trouble of editing a wikipedia page to back up his lunatic argument.

bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:52 pm

Mediter sounds like a right numpty (choosing my words carefully after recent Mod advisory on abusive language Wink ) Indeed .... a numpty GOAT perhaps ..... ??

If that's a "triple bagel" I wonder just what description he would have conjured up for even heavier beatings suffered by Rafa in later years ..... or had he done a runner by then .... ??
(Tsonga def Nadal 6-2 6-3 6-2, AO 2008 ; DelPotro def Nadal 6-2 6-2 6-2 USO 2009)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:31 pm

lags72 wrote:DelPotro def Nadal 6-2 6-2 6-2 USO 2009

In Nadal's defence, he had an abdominal strain. Wink

"The truth was that Del Potro’s defeat of Nadal was not altogether that surprising, given that the Spaniard has been dealing with an abdominal strain"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/usopen/6184503/US-Open-2009-Juan-Martin-del-Potro-beats-Rafael-Nadal-to-face-Roger-Federer-in-final.html

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down