The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 5 fights that should be made in 2012

+11
vxrandall
TRUSSMAN66
SportsmanGC
Daz
KingMonkey
J.Benson II
Union Cane
AlexHuckerby
oxring
Rowley
All Time Great
15 posters

Go down

Top 5 fights that should be made in 2012 Empty Top 5 fights that should be made in 2012

Post by All Time Great Fri 11 Nov - 14:51

I was thinking about this the other day, what fights should be made in 2012? It's actually more difficult than I first envisaged. My top 5 is as follows:

1) Mayweather vs Pacquiao: No comments required.
2) Donaire vs Gamboa: Weight disparity I know, but still would be a cracking contest if Donaire can make the weight.
3) Khan vs Bradley: Purely to prove whose the number one LWW.
4) Super Six winner vs Kessler. Kessler deserves a shot at the undisputed SMW crown given he has defeated Froch in a close decision and lost to Andre Ward as a result of dubious cut injuries.
5) Alvarez vs Kirkland. Probably a slight mismatch, but would probably be a ferocious fight and a possible FOTY candidate if Kirkland manages to land a couple of bombs.

Anyone agree, or have another fight that should rival the above? I appreciate there's many potential domestic tussles going on at present but the international scene seems a little dry looking forward 12 months into the future.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Top 5 fights that should be made in 2012 Empty Re: Top 5 fights that should be made in 2012

Post by Rowley Fri 11 Nov - 14:53

ATG I'd like to see the winner of the super six face Bute. Think the winner there has a legitimate claim to be number one in the division. Whilst Kessler is a decent fighter not sure a win over him would create the kind of clarity a Bute win would.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Top 5 fights that should be made in 2012 Empty Re: Top 5 fights that should be made in 2012

Post by oxring Fri 11 Nov - 14:57

Boytsov v Helenius.

Fury vs Perez

Chisora vs Price

Chisora/Price vs Fury/Perez

Chisora/Price/Fury/Perez vs Dimitrenko

Chisora/Price/Fury/Perez/Dimitrenko vs Helenius/Boytsov

Chisora/Price/Fury/Perez/Dimitrenko/Helenius/Boytsov vs a Klitschko.

In that order, obviously.

Although I suspect the last 3 might be in 2013.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 11 Nov - 15:00

would love to see rios in with kats or maidana providing hes ok at LWW

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Fri 11 Nov - 15:02

oxring wrote:Boytsov v Helenius.

Fury vs Perez

Chisora vs Price

Chisora/Price vs Fury/Perez

Chisora/Price/Fury/Perez vs Dimitrenko

Chisora/Price/Fury/Perez/Dimitrenko vs Helenius/Boytsov

In that order, obviously.

Although I suspect the last 3 might be in 2013.

A heavyweight super six maybe? Probably what the division needs- shame Wlad doesn't need it himself.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 11 Nov - 15:03

oxring wrote:

I think they might stand half a chance there.

I'd like to see Froch (having beaten Ward of course) take on Lucian Bute.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Fri 11 Nov - 15:05

AlexHuckerby wrote:would love to see rios in with kats or maidana providing hes ok at LWW

I think Katsidis is pretty much done as any sort of force. I wanted to see Maidana vs Guerrero, hopefully it gets rescheduled for 2012.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Fri 11 Nov - 15:05

Agree with the first 3.

On number 4, I'd prefer seeing Ward/Froch against Bute for the same reasons Rowley gave.

Martinez Vs Pirog would be my 5th choice.

On the domestic front, Fury-Price would be the most interesting fight.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 11 Nov - 15:22

All Time Great wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:would love to see rios in with kats or maidana providing hes ok at LWW

I think Katsidis is pretty much done as any sort of force. I wanted to see Maidana vs Guerrero, hopefully it gets rescheduled for 2012.

are you telling me you wouldnt want to see it?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri 11 Nov - 15:46

I don't want to see Kats getting pummelled if that helps.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 11 Nov - 15:49

Not a top five but would like to see Scott Quigg Vs Carl Frampton.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Fri 11 Nov - 15:57

AlexHuckerby wrote:
All Time Great wrote:

are you telling me you wouldnt want to see it?

Rios is a few classes above Katsidis (who IMO has been in one too many wars). Not saying I wouldn't tune in to see it, just think there's better match ups out there for Rios.

Rios vs Guerrero would be a cracker for example.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by SportsmanGC Fri 11 Nov - 16:01

hatton vs witter, but witter has to move up to hattons weight (heavyweight)...

but in reality i'm keen to see the one everyone wants, then also khan bradley and more of Saul Alvarez to see what he can do.

SportsmanGC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 11 Nov - 17:56

Haye vs vitali
Khan vs Ortiz
Fury vs Price
Froch vs Kessler 2

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by vxrandall Fri 11 Nov - 19:00

pac - may
martinez v (jcc jr v canelo)
rios v guerrero
khan - bradley
s6 winner v bute

vxrandall

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Fri 11 Nov - 19:01

I would like Kats to get one last good win (against maybe Murray) and retire gracefully as a modern mini legend, would also love to see Pirog and Grzegorz Proksa take over the MW division between themselves which I think they could well do especially when Martinez retires (cant be too far off)

The aforementioned HW fights involving Fury, Price, Perez etc should be interesting too should they happen.

Also looking forward to seeing how far Ricky Burns can go

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Fri 11 Nov - 20:17

There are the obvious ones aready mentioned so I would add

winner of Cotto/Margirito 2 vs Saul Alvarez
James Kirkland vs Paul Williams
Brandon Rios vs Robert Guerrero
Nathan Cleverly vs Tavoris Cloud
Juan Manuel Marquez vs Erik Morales

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 11 Nov - 23:13

Globally:
Rios vs Linares- yes Linares got beaten up recently by DeMarco, but this fight would be a cracker. Linares and Rios can both take and give a lot of damage. This would be a win for Rios and would be a good fight before he moves up in weight
Manny vs Mayweather/ Alvarez- Obviously i would like to see the super fight but if it doesn't happen i would give Alvarez a really good chance vs manny late 2012. He is strong, quick and skillful and his body punching may be able to stop manny in this stage of his career.
Ward/Froch vs Bute
Gamboa vs Garcia- Would like to see Gamboa donarie but it won't happen in 2012, maybe 2013. Garcia late 2012 would be a very good fight as he is bullishly strong and won't be intimidated
Donaire vs Rigonadeux - Love both of these boxers and would an interesting clash of styles

Domestically:
Quigg vs Frampton- 2 very promising youngsters and FOTY candidate based on styles
Price vs Fury- Price could be the future of british boxing for years to come and fury is ever improving
Khan vs Brook- 2 top p4p on the british scene ( 2nd and 6th respecitvely imo) and there is histoy
Froch vs Groves/Cleverly- I think froch will lose to ward and these 2 fights depending on if he wants to move up or stay at SMW
Macklin vs Barker- finally settle the dispute of who is #1, winner vs murray

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sat 12 Nov - 0:34

A few that haven't been mentioned

Nishioka vs Donaire
Gamboa vs Rigondeaux
Darchinyan vs Wonjongkam (so long as Darchinyan can still make Super Flyweight)

Also for a fighter to watch in 2012 look at Kazuto Ioka, real talent.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down