The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Djokovic not as great as Roger and Rafa, says Tsonga

+6
Jahu
lags72
noleisthebest
hawkeye
legendkillar
eraldeen
10 posters

Go down

Djokovic not as great as Roger and Rafa, says Tsonga Empty Djokovic not as great as Roger and Rafa, says Tsonga

Post by eraldeen Thu 10 Nov - 21:14

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news;_ylt=AocsRiG0QaeUfvCWWr4toxI4v7YF?slug=reu-menparistsonga_pix

eraldeen

Back to top Go down

Djokovic not as great as Roger and Rafa, says Tsonga Empty Re: Djokovic not as great as Roger and Rafa, says Tsonga

Post by legendkillar Thu 10 Nov - 21:31

Eurosport = cutting edge crap

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Djokovic not as great as Roger and Rafa, says Tsonga Empty Re: Djokovic not as great as Roger and Rafa, says Tsonga

Post by hawkeye Thu 10 Nov - 21:39

Tsonga is just stating the obvious.

Much as I like Djokovic and great as his season has been in 2011 I'm sure even his most ardent fans (and Djokovic himself) wouldn't put him in the same category as all time greats Nadal and Federer...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 10 Nov - 21:45

What baffles me is that with his limited command of English, what on Earth possessed Tsonga to make such a statement....I mean, of all the things to say...definitely not the brightest cookie out there...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 10 Nov - 21:48

This is what Tsonga said

“(He has less aura) because of the number of victories in
grand slams, but also the others were at the top for many years,
even if Novak had a very good year this year.

“So he’s quite far from what the others achieved. His career
is not as complete and his position on the tour is not as
historical.”

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 11 Nov - 1:20

Tsonga is clearly stating the obvious (it's hardly breaking news that a guy who has had one hugely impressive season is not (yet) in the same league as either of the players who have dominated all four Slams over several years dating back to 2003, capturing an incredible 26 titles between them)

As so often happens, reported comments can be misinterpreted, by imagining that they were somehow made as part of a grand statement, rather than a totally honest answer to a question from a journo simply doing his job, looking for a soundbite or two.
("Jo Wilfried, you're up against Novak tomorrow.... it's a tough one .... he's been the man of the season...how do you feel he compares with the likes of Rafa and Roger ...?)

As for the 'limited command of English' ... I'd say there's every possibility the exchanges were in his native French, and that what we've got is a perfectly respectable translation

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 11 Nov - 7:52

Oh this is news...not!
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 11 Nov - 8:16

don't see much wrong with these comments, it's the truth isn't it. Novak has had a great year, but Fed had 3 or 4 of these, and Nadal also has remarkable consistency over time. The quote above from hawkeye is spot on.

Didn't see the interview, so not sure if this was in response to a direct question or not...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 11 Nov - 8:26

EDIT: have gone through L'Equipe website (main sports paper in France, and the full quote is this:

" Pour moi, il a moins d'aura que Roger et Rafa. Je n'ai pas dit qu'il était moins bon ! Même si cette année, il a fait une très grosse année, les autres ont tellement été au-dessus pendant longtemps et se sont tellement partagé les titres que pour l'instant, il est encore "loin" au niveau du palmarès de ces gars-là. Il est un peu moins ancré sur le tour que les autres peut-être. "

translates as:

" For me, he has less aura than Roger and Rafa. I'm not saying he's less good! But even if he's had a great year this year, the others were so far above the rest for so long, and shared so many titles, that for now, he is still quite far from what the others have achieved in their careers. His position on the tour is not as historical, maybe. "

I suck at translation, but that's the gist of it. He's not disrespecting Novak's achievements this year, merely saying that because of Roger and Rafa's history, Novak has less aura than the other two.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 11 Nov - 12:37

He's just stating the obvious, however should he copy his slam results for 2012, then his greatness or lack of will definitely not be discussed again. I really don't see him winning 3 slams next year though, he's just not as blessed as Federer injury wise.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 11 Nov - 12:39

Josiah Maiestas wrote:He's just stating the obvious, however should he copy his slam results for 2012, then his greatness or lack of will definitely not be discussed again. I really don't see him winning 3 slams next year though, he's just not as blessed as Federer injury wise.
I reckon if he rests his shoulder and focuses on slams solely next year, he'll easily repeat 3 wins. Nobody there to challenge him.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri 11 Nov - 13:21

noleisthebest wrote:
Josiah Maiestas wrote:He's just stating the obvious, however should he copy his slam results for 2012, then his greatness or lack of will definitely not be discussed again. I really don't see him winning 3 slams next year though, he's just not as blessed as Federer injury wise.
I reckon if he rests his shoulder and focuses on slams solely next year, he'll easily repeat 3 wins. Nobody there to challenge him.

If he stays fit he's got every chance, but "easily" - nobody ever "easily" won three slams, and certainly not Djoko this year having faced x2 match points at the USO.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 11 Nov - 14:17

barrystar wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

If he stays fit he's got every chance, but "easily" - nobody ever "easily" won three slams, and certainly not Djoko this year having faced x2 match points at the USO.

Barry, he just lets Fed get away a bit to make it more interesting for the crowd Cool

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 11 Nov - 22:54

What's wrong with that? He isn't.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down