The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

India vs West Indies, First Test Debate

+15
Mike Selig
Gregers
JDizzle
ShankyCricket
activereactive
Fists of Fury
Duty281
guildfordbat
Corporalhumblebucket
Mad for Chelsea
wow
anu_d
skyeman
Demon Racer
msp83
19 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

India vs West Indies, First Test Debate - Page 3 Empty India vs West Indies, First Test Debate

Post by msp83 Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

The first of 3 test between India and the West Indies is beginning tomorrow, in Delhi.
For India, its the opportunity to recover from the humiliation of the disaster of the England tour, and get all their malfunctioning parts back to order. It also is an opportunity to introduce new players to test cricket. R Ashwin is surely set to debut in this format, and one of Umesh Yadav and Varun Aaron also should make his debut.
The number 6 position should see a close contest between Yuvraj Singh, Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane. As of now, Yuvraj seems to be the favorit.
The West Indies should try to put up a good fight. In the series back home, they were able to do just that, and their pace bowling unit led by Fidel Edwards and Ravi Rampaul, with able support from young Devendra Bishoo asked stern questions of the Indian batting lineup. India is playing a stronger lineup though, with Sehwag, Gambhir, and Tendulkar back in there. But among the 3, only Gautam Gambhir has got any serious match practice underhis belt, and the WI bowlers should maintain pressure on the batting right away.
The key question for the WI is whether they'll play Rampaul or young Roach, as the balance of the side, and presence of Daren Sammy in the lineup as one of the 4 bowlers do not allow pleying them both.
Its winter time in Delhi, and therefore some late starts and early finish can be expected. Overnight dew should offer some early life in the pitch as well.
Hopes there will be some quality cricket.

msp83

Back to top Go down

India vs West Indies, First Test Debate - Page 3 Empty Re: India vs West Indies, First Test Debate

Post by ShankyCricket Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:34 am

WI struggling here Sad

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

India vs West Indies, First Test Debate - Page 3 Empty Re: India vs West Indies, First Test Debate

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:35 am

couple of wickets for India has brought them back in the game. Way too passive from WI there, and it's given India a sniff; Having said that, pitch has been doing plenty so it certainly won't be easy to chase on here.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:36 am

Can India get Shiv out though! I do fancy them to chase down anything around 300 though, India can't bat that badly again.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by anu_d Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:43 am

unless someone plays a 70odd inning with a bit of a dash fro WI...they will dig a hole for themselves.

Dhoni is looking at choking them for less than 100

anu_d

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:58 pm

i doubt this game will last 4 days let alone 5..

i think if windies can get another 100 runs and set india around 220 it will be tough chase on this pitch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:28 pm

I think the Windies will need more than a 220 lead, cf. I'd suggest anything below 280 will be in grave danger of being chased down.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:33 pm

na they wont, the pitch is awful and i think 220 will be enough

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:46 pm

Does this prove that I was right when I was saying how good Sammy is? Yes I believe it does

He is a very good bowler in tests and great in t20

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:49 pm

Awful batting, as opposed to outstanding bowling, Gregers. Sammy is decent, but nothing more than that.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:53 pm

I do feel that people are very unfair on Sammy.

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by anu_d Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:26 pm

^ I remember once Sammy triggered an English collapse......was it a 7-fer.

Sammy to me is like Bresnan

Last edited by anu_d on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

anu_d

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:28 pm

you cant put sammy and bresan in the same category. Bresnan is much better than sammy, and bresnan is an allrounder sammy isnt

however sammy is very underrated, and his test record shows that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:38 pm

nah Bresnan bowls about 10mph quicker than Sammy, angling it in from wide of the crease whereas Sammy is very much a stumps to stumps bowler. No comparison possible IMO. I rate Sammy as a bowler, and I do think he gets a lot of unfair stick, he's done nothing wrong (with the ball) at test level IMO.

yeah he did take 7-fer against England but I think England were 500+ for 3 when that particular "collapse" started Wink

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by anu_d Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:13 pm

Bresnan's FC record is pretty medicore......average 32 and 2.5 wkts / test.
Sammy's FC record is better.

Bresnan test record is a little better...but it is only 10 test old ( as opposed to 20 of Sammy)
.....and Bresnan is yet to play tests on the flat pitches of WI and subcontinent ( where Sammy has played more than half his tests,

with his FC recrod as an indicator......I expect Bresnan's test record to "normalize" quite soon.

anu_d

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:17 pm

does Bangladesh no longer count as "subcontinent" then? Certainly flatter pitches than the one in this test here. Also the pitches in Aus were pretty flat when you see the way England batted on them. County cricket has never been the best indicator of success at International level (see Trescothick, Vaughan, Simon Jones for instance) either.

However, my point was more along the lines that Sammy and Bresnan are very different types of bowlers, and as such the comparison doesn't seem a good one to me...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by anu_d Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:28 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:does Bangladesh no longer count as "subcontinent" then?

==>>In my view when comparing quality of players......records against BD must be completely discounted.
Irfan Pathan has 44 wkts in 4 tests against BD& Zim for example that I discount completely, when assessing him as a player who is either new or yet to establish himself.

Certainly flatter pitches than the one in this test here. Also the pitches in Aus were pretty flat when you see the way England batted on them.

==>>the Flat in Aus is NOWHERE close to flat in subcontinent.....no where close !!

County cricket has never been the best indicator of success at International level (see Trescothick, Vaughan, Simon Jones for instance) either.

==>>FC is always a good indicator....especially for a seam bolwer if his home FC side is in Eng ....and for a spin bowler if his hom FC side is in subcontinent
I agree there are exceptions to the rule.....and maybe Bresnan is an exception...but we need more data points on him...in more varied conditions i.e WI and subcontinent

However, my point was more along the lines that Sammy and Bresnan are very different types of bowlers, and as such the comparison doesn't seem a good one to me...

==>.I respect your opinion.
I agree that they are diffrent types of bowlers
But from what I have seen and in my experience as FC indicators....they will end up similar statistically.....when their performances are normalized over about 25 to 30 tests in varying conditions.

anu_d

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:44 pm

I'm (genuinely) confused: what does the fact that they may end up with similar statistics have to do with anything? Steve Waugh ended up with similar statistics to (say) Lara, does that make them similar players?

Or are we arguing purely on a value basis?

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:49 pm

How can a thread discussing WI vs India turn into a Tim Bresnan bashing thread by Anu?

Interesting stuff.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:12 pm

I was at the game where Sammy took a 7fer against England. It was at Old Trafford and I think Sammy was on debut, and my god England were dull that day. They got so bogged down and their run rate was so awful that the pressure told and Sammy ended up with 7! But I digress. At this moment in time big Tim is a better Test Match player than Sammy.

Windies need one big partnership, probably involving one of or both of Shiv and Bravo. I think anything under 300 and India will fancy chasing it down, and I wouldn't bet on them not getting anything higher aswell.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:45 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:sammy takes wickets whether he bowls,
Shocked Mightily impressive ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:30 pm

If WI can get the lead above 250 they'll win. India are so bad at Test Cricket right now, it's almost unbelieveable! The important thing for WI is to be positive and they'll win. They've got time on their side as well.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:31 pm

djlovesyou wrote:How can a thread discussing WI vs India turn into a Tim Bresnan bashing thread by Anu?

Interesting stuff.

because its anu lol

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:35 pm

Meanwhile, the Dodger has taken 7 of the 12 West Indian wickets to fall.

He now seems as vital to India as he was to Surrey.

Windies currently on top but match still intriguingly poised ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by anu_d Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:35 pm

djlovesyou wrote:How can a thread discussing WI vs India turn into a Tim Bresnan bashing thread by Anu?

Interesting stuff.

where is the bashing part?

anu_d

Back to top Go down

Post by anu_d Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:44 pm

JDizzle wrote:I was at the game where Sammy took a 7fer against England. It was at Old Trafford and I think Sammy was on debut, and my god England were dull that day. They got so bogged down and their run rate was so awful that the pressure told and Sammy ended up with 7! But I digress. At this moment in time big Tim is a better Test Match player than Sammy.

@jDizzle....true...
at this moment.....
Bresnan is having his moments.....on green tops.....against BD...OK couple of games in bouncy australian pitches.
when his moments runs out and he has to play half of his games on dead, flat, palcid low SL, UAE, India and sometimes in WI......his stats will "normalize" and should look like Sammy's and that too if he does very well

anu_d

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Melbourne and Sydney aren't bouncy. The only pitch in Aus which is bouncy is Perth and Bresnan didn't play there.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:57 pm

It's funny how they are only green tops when England are bowling on them. They seem to flatten out completely when Eng get to bat on them, we must have had a lot of luck recently then. Melbourne - Huge score by England. Sydney - Huge score by England. Every test against India, England put up huge runs. Bowler friendly conditions maybe, but not green tops. Bresnan has done very well for himself and long may it continue.

Obviously it will be tougher in the sub continent and in Dubai but to say that he has and can only suceed and green tops is ridiculous.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by anu_d Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:05 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Melbourne and Sydney aren't bouncy. The only pitch in Aus which is bouncy is Perth and Bresnan didn't play there.

when you look at Delhi and abu dhabi and sinhalese sports club type pitches....melbourne and also sydeny ( which i know spins).....will be considered SUPER, DUPER bouncy.

anu_d

Back to top Go down

Post by anu_d Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Sehwag's post D2 view:

When Sehwag was told West Indies wanted to set 400, he said with scarcely disguised disdain: "We thought we would make 1000 runs in the first innings. But to say and to do are two different things. Anyone can say what they want."

anu_d

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:03 pm

i thought ravi rampaul bowled very well today for windies, however staggered by Dhoni

he is in amazing form in odi cricket, but awful in tests. Reminds me of michael bevan

Back to top Go down

Post by Demon Racer Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:02 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:i thought ravi rampaul bowled very well today for windies, however staggered by Dhoni

he is in amazing form in odi cricket, but awful in tests. Reminds me of michael bevan
Average of 36 isn't too shabby when you factor in he's also keeping and the captain.

Demon Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:26 am

Dhoni is certainly not ridiculous in Tests.He is a quality Test player as well.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by anu_d Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:13 am

Dhoni cannot handle the swinging ball......rest is all OK with his batting.
when in places like eng he should not even attemtp to bat like dravid in a get-set build an inning mode....but just go and thrash the bowling

anu_d

Back to top Go down

Post by anu_d Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:13 am

26-3

anu_d

Back to top Go down

Post by anu_d Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:24 am

pitch is not misbehaving...just slow and low.....not at all easy to play strokes...certianly not on the rise.
Bravo lucky to be dropped at cover.........less than 1/2 a chnace I'd say
and Kirk survied a confident lbw......I suspect sharma is getting a hint of reverse already in the 17th over

anu_d

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:45 am

63-6, WI in all sorts of trouble. Chanderpaul, who has been in great form for months, still there though. The tail just have to stick it out with him. Try to muster 180-200, and we will still have a game.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:03 am

Lunch, 109-7. Definitely India's session, but Chanderpaul still in and making batting look easy. Shame that the Windies do not have 5 clones of Chanderpaul.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by anu_d Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:35 am

well from an indian POV......they have given 25 cheap and easy runs once they had them 7 down.

Ashwin has looked crafty.....the one with most guiles.

he comes so close to the stumps and lands the ball on the middle stump line and spins it both ways........such a big chance of getting LBW...if the batsman misses.

he had Bravo tied in nots, toyed with him before getting him and bowled Marlon that looks so beautiful on replays.....with a carrom ball that was good....but the incompetence of batsman makes it look fantastic.

anu_d

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:52 am

Valuable runs from the WI last wicket pair, the lead now 275.
In India's Test history, they have only chased down over 270 twice ever in India.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:53 am

WI all out for 180. India 276 to win. But history against them.

Ashwin great figures of 6-47. 9-128 in match, not to shabby on debut.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by anu_d Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:05 am

275 it is then...if WI ever had a chnace of winning an overseas test against a TOP side.....it is this..

anu_d

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:37 am

35-0

decent crowd in to be honest considering india playing a test match.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:27 am

WI need to get Sehwag out quickly to stand a chance here

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:28 am

Sehwag is entertaining lol, and he's going along well here.

Back to top Go down

Post by anu_d Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:29 am

Ind should have promoted Yuvraj in place of Dravid

we need to keep stroking our way towards the target

anu_d

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:29 am

anu_d wrote:Ind should have promoted Yuvraj in place of Dravid

:facepalm, there's over 2 days left

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:45 am

Sehwag gone SAMMY gets him, sachin the new man in

Back to top Go down

Post by anu_d Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:46 am

cricketfan90 wrote:
anu_d wrote:Ind should have promoted Yuvraj in place of Dravid

:facepalm, there's over 2 days left

I know.
It's not for the time or overs left.

It's one of those pitches where if you try to get-set-go-steady....you will dig a deeper and deeper hole for yourself.

sehwag is gone....made the task easier for the middle order....but often times we have seen it becomes a different ball game once sehwag is gone

anu_d

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:48 am

especially with the ever dangerous sammy bowling Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:49 am

that's the wicket WI desperately needed, as another hour or so of Sehwag could have taken the game away from them. Sehwag had been using that chop to third man to great effect, but it was always a risky ploy on a pitch with a touch of uneven bounce and eventually it led to his downfall.

How WI needed that! Game on!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next