The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could the scrum finally be fixed?

+13
HammerofThunor
Irish Curry
Gatts
dummy_half
theskippingpig
screamingaddabs
damage_13
red_stag
thebandwagonsociety
XR
doctornickolas
dogtooth
yappysnap
17 posters

Go down

Could the scrum finally be fixed? Empty Could the scrum finally be fixed?

Post by yappysnap Wed 19 Oct 2011, 8:18 am

So in a report put together by Fran Cotton, Mike Burton and Ray McLoughlin the scrum has been highlighted as currently too dangerous and complex to carry on as it is now.

The team have put together a number critical points that they shall present to the IRB but two of the key changes to note would be the 'UPK' Unconvertable Penalty Kick and also changing the current scrum sequence to "Stand, touch, engage, push" to take out the hit, which has been highlighted as the biggest area of concern.

Could these changes be iplimented and would they be for the better?

Full article
http://www.espnscrum.com/2011-rugby-world-cup/rugby/story/152618.html

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Could the scrum finally be fixed? Empty Re: Could the scrum finally be fixed?

Post by dogtooth Wed 19 Oct 2011, 8:29 am

i have been saying for some time the scrum should form up before the 'scrum' can commence.

'form up' the packs form the packed scrum
'scrum' the sh puts the ball in (straight) and hookers hook and packs shove.

simple. it preserves the scrum and makes it much safer. pureist will complain but, originaly, tries didnt score any points.

form up
scrum.

Stand, touch, engage, push. this is too long winded. my boys have a joke. the ref says; crouch, touch, have a cup of tea, go to the shops, clean your teeth, pause, take the dog for a walk, etc
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Wed 19 Oct 2011, 8:36 am

Some good ideas

Too many games are won from penalties from the scrum where it is a total lottery as to whose fault it was or indeed if it was anyone.

By engaging first, like in the old days, and then scrummaging we will get a lot less resets, injuries and wasted time and far more real scrummaging and tests of technique and strength.

Also I quite like the unconvertible penalty bit.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:26 am

im not sure about the unconvertable penalty. ucp in opp 22, what would the options be? tap and go, kick for touch? could a team opt for a scrum?
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:37 am

It has to change, the hit is bad enough but when you have a ref who goes

Crouch

Touch

Pause

ENGAGE!

It's gonna do some damage one day

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 19 Oct 2011, 11:26 am

Even in the the new recommended setup, engage basically equals hit so it isn't removed. All that goes away is the pause.

If the front rows bound to each other first, with the referee clearing/okaying the binding on one side and the assistant ref doing the same on the other side, then the second rows/back rows lock into place and the ball is fed (straight) then it should be safer for the players as everyone is set, and the ref as they have covered positioning-binding and feeding in a set order and don't have to try to watch both sides of 1800kg of guys shoving and a midget throwing a ball into the middle at the same time. If it goes up or down the team going forward gets the call. Also if someone slips their bind it is more obvious (and you won't have props who just don't bind to start off with -- a very common cause of scrums going down).

I don't agree with the UCP idea. If you are 10m from your line with a weak scrum it is too easy to just give up. The scrum when teams focus on it as a weapon is a real sight to see and rev's up the team, the crowd , the passion. I don't like giving a team with a weak scrum an easy way out. I know people say its a lottery as it is, and it does need to change. But tidy up the messy parts of it, don't dilute its importance in the game.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 19 Oct 2011, 11:59 am

thebandwagonsociety wrote:Even in the the new recommended setup, engage basically equals hit so it isn't removed. All that goes away is the pause.

If the front rows bound to each other first, with the referee clearing/okaying the binding on one side and the assistant ref doing the same on the other side, then the second rows/back rows lock into place and the ball is fed (straight) then it should be safer for the players as everyone is set, and the ref as they have covered positioning-binding and feeding in a set order and don't have to try to watch both sides of 1800kg of guys shoving and a midget throwing a ball into the middle at the same time. If it goes up or down the team going forward gets the call. Also if someone slips their bind it is more obvious (and you won't have props who just don't bind to start off with -- a very common cause of scrums going down).

I don't agree with the UCP idea. If you are 10m from your line with a weak scrum it is too easy to just give up. The scrum when teams focus on it as a weapon is a real sight to see and rev's up the team, the crowd , the passion. I don't like giving a team with a weak scrum an easy way out. I know people say its a lottery as it is, and it does need to change. But tidy up the messy parts of it, don't dilute its importance in the game.

That is exactly what i would like to see. All of that and props having baggier shirts again for grip.

But i do like the unconvertable penalty.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Wed 19 Oct 2011, 12:17 pm

unconvertable penalty. im not sure about this. it sounds like the thin edge of the removing-the-scrum-from-union wedge
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 19 Oct 2011, 12:43 pm

Surely it makes more scrums? As I assume you can't kick for goal so if you're close to the oppos line you'd go for the scrum again, and with the new rules on scrummaging stopping a lot of collapses you could either get a penalty, penalty try or push over try.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 19 Oct 2011, 1:21 pm

An unconvertable penalty? You mean a freekick?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:29 pm

no no no no, wrong all wrong.

The teams should ONLY push when the ball is put in, not when the ref says so as this would be far too relevant on the ref and take the 'shove' sequence out the players hands.

Its quite simple.

Along with the above (existing rule) The feed gets put in straight (which, is, erm, and existing rule).

When the feed is put in straight the Props HAVE to prop as the Hooker HAS to hook the ball back and cannot really push much with one leg.

This reduces the impact of x3 front row 'props' crunching together (x6 props) in the front row like we get now as unless one side is very weak or cannot bind *assuming there is no illegal boring/pushing) the side getting the put in nearly always gets possession.

Crouch, touch, pause, engage, should stay as that stopped sides using the impact before put in to assert early dominance and make the opponents unstable.

Put simply, the scrum is nothing more than a organised fair push over the ball to gain possession, with the side that has the feed having the advantage of timing... nothing more.

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:37 pm

I agree with Brian Moore about the scrum. He basically agrees with thebandwagonsociety.

Red stag, difference is direct kick to touch and own ball from that.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:41 pm

good spot on my Brian Moore impersonation Very Happy

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by theskippingpig Wed 19 Oct 2011, 3:12 pm

Just let us scrum as we always have done. you will either turn the sport into league or stop it being a game able to be played by people of all shapes and sizes!!

theskippingpig

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 19 Oct 2011, 3:39 pm

theskippingpig wrote:Just let us scrum as we always have done. you will either turn the sport into league or stop it being a game able to be played by people of all shapes and sizes!!

theskippingpig
Which version of 'as we always have done'? Formations have change, requirements on binding have changes, and then the All Blacks introduced the 'hit' in the late 80s, which has become increasingly emphasised over the last decade or so.

To be honest, I don't see why it would be so difficult to go back to a passive engagement as was used in the 70s. Simple rules:
Props must keep their shoulders higher than their hips as the scrum is formed
Binds to be correctly made on the opponent's jersey (and with the use of skin-tight jerseys being excluded for all players, not just front row forwards - part of the ref's checking of the kit prior to the match being to ensure that it is possible to get a hadful of the jersey in any random grab)
Scrum to be stationary and square to the touchline before the ball is put in (and allowing sufficient time for the ref to switch sides of the scrum if he wants to check the binding)
Ball to be fed straight and central to the tunnel.

Pretty sure both the last two are actually in the Laws, but are largely ignored.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 20 Oct 2011, 1:04 am

dogtooth wrote:unconvertable penalty. im not sure about this. it sounds like the thin edge of the removing-the-scrum-from-union wedge

i agree

in fact, lets ban the game.

I played my whole career of 20 plus years in the front row.

The problem is technology, we used to go with the ebb and flow of refs decisions, now we second guess his farts and that is why its no fun anymore. We have over engineered the scrum with CTPE which is SH1TE because different refs have different tempos, and it doesn't prevent the big hit anyway, just ensures both teams are ready for each other which they were before anyway, Binding is nigh on impossible anyway but doing it in a tight shirt onto a tight shirt just gets silly.

every fecker who has ever run on a pitch knows that he might get seriously hurt but did it ever stop you? No. Its called freedom of choice and it is the cornerstone of adult consent. If the H and S nazis get hold of it it will be banned like hunting, or turned into touch. H and S causes accidents, you defer responsibility to others and becoem overwhelemed with safety messages, the world becomes a dangeorus place and you can't process it all so you switch off. How many times do we think we woudl have reached the moon if the H and S Czars had got hold of Apollo? oooh you can't fly into space, its dangerous.

Rugby is inherently dangerous, I reckon we should go back to the good old days when ref was sir and if you talked back he would kick you in the balls when you scrum down.

Happy days

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Thu 20 Oct 2011, 5:12 pm

[quote="Gatts"][quote="dogtooth"]unconvertable penalty. im not sure about this. it sounds like the thin edge of the removing-the-scrum-from-union wedge[/quote]

i agree

The problem is technology, we used to go with the ebb and flow of refs decisions, now we second guess his farts and that is why its no fun anymore. We have over engineered the scrum with CTPE which is SH1TE because different refs have different tempos, and it doesn't prevent the big hit anyway, just ensures both teams are ready for each other which they were before anyway, Binding is nigh on impossible anyway but doing it in a tight shirt onto a tight shirt just gets silly.

every fecker who has ever run on a pitch knows that he might get seriously hurt but did it ever stop you? No. Its called freedom of choice and it is the cornerstone of adult consent. If the H and S nazis get hold of it it will be banned like hunting, or turned into touch. H and S causes accidents, you defer responsibility to others and becoem overwhelemed with safety messages, the world becomes a dangeorus place and you can't process it all so you switch off. How many times do we think we woudl have reached the moon if the H and S Czars had got hold of Apollo? oooh you can't fly into space, its dangerous.

Rugby is inherently dangerous, I reckon we should go back to the good old days when ref was sir and if you talked back he would kick you in the balls when you scrum down.

Happy days

[/quote]

What a post laughing clap

I have to agree though ask who plays rugby because its safe?? Its a mans sport not Rugby League
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 20 Oct 2011, 6:08 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:Even in the the new recommended setup, engage basically equals hit so it isn't removed. All that goes away is the pause.

I read
arguing that removing the collision which currently comes after the engagement would result in less spinal injuries among front-row forwards.
as removing the hit

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 20 Oct 2011, 7:03 pm

Here the opinion of the Welsh nation's favourite ref Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXrnxViI7J0

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Thu 20 Oct 2011, 8:05 pm

Sin é wrote:Here the opinion of the Welsh nation's favourite ref Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXrnxViI7J0

Oh thats good....2:15 'we try and get through the game without being noticed, we're here to facilitate something"

RWC semi final....Alain, stop it you're killing me laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Thu 20 Oct 2011, 8:51 pm

Gatts wrote:
dogtooth wrote:unconvertable penalty. im not sure about this. it sounds like the thin edge of the removing-the-scrum-from-union wedge

i agree

Happy days

Yahoo I love you Gatts! heart heart heart heart
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by mattb Sun 23 Oct 2011, 9:47 pm

since props now wear very figure hugging shirts and are always being penalised for not binding, where is the common sense. Force props to wear a shirt which allows binding, or even put a handle on their shirts. should resolve binding issues. maybe?

mattb

Back to top Go down

Post by Colchins Thu 27 Oct 2011, 9:15 pm

I go with the view that front rows bind first with ref and ass ref each of scrum - then the rest form up. No pushing until the ball goes in. If they don't play ball give the ref the authority to call uncontested scrims for a period of time

Colchins

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Thu 27 Oct 2011, 10:10 pm

[quote="Colchins"]I go with the view that front rows bind first with ref and ass ref each of scrum - then the rest form up. No pushing until the ball goes in. If they don't play ball give the ref the authority to call uncontested scrims for a period of time[/quote]

Thats not a half bad idea their Colchins, I hadn't thought of that. I will say though that it should only be maybe 2 or 3 scrums or 3 minutes before starting again.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down