The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Why I fixed fights"

3 posters

Go down

"Why I fixed fights" Empty "Why I fixed fights"

Post by Lowlandbrit Wed 16 Apr 2014, 9:06 pm

Interesting article by a former manager:
deadspin.com/why-i-fixed-fights

I fixed a lot of fights over the years. In two I didn't fix but should have, people paid heavily for my carelessness. Even though I set up Mitch "Blood" Green and Leon Spinks cushion-soft in their comeback fights, I managed to get one embarrassed and the other nearly killed. There had been opportunities for them, deals that came undone when they lost. It wasn't as if the winners benefited in any tangible way either. At best their victories brought them smallish short-term bragging rights. Among boxing insiders they were objects of scorn for having won, as incompetent at their jobs as Green, Spinks, and I were at ours.
Winning a world title is definitely hard, time-consuming work, so that kind of arc expresses some truth. What it obscures is the fact that most of the fights designed to get that fighter his title shot are fixed in one way or another. Anybody who spends his own money advancing a fighter and knows what he's doing engages in some form of fight fixing. And, wittingly or not, almost every titleholder has benefited from fixes.
Fight fixing is such an accepted part of the boxing business that there's a standard way to do it. You call up or visit the gym of any trainer who represents "opponents," and have the following exchange:

"I've got a middleweight who could use a little work." [Read: His fight shouldn't be more than a brisk sparring session.]

"I got a good kid. But he ain't been in the gym much lately." [He's out of shape.]

"That's OK. I'm not looking for my guy to go too long." [It's got to be a knockout win.]

"My kid can give him maybe three good rounds."

And that's it. Your fighter's next bout will go into the record books as a third-round knockout victory.
All in all, it isn't surprising that boxers operate under a different system from the people who make money off of them or who watch and write about them. In the real world, boxers and their managers pre-arranging the outcome of fights, working collusively against a hostile system, makes sense. Fixing fights, even at the expense of the public, isn't just good business. It's a survival strategy for the disenfranchised class in boxing: the fighters themselves.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

"Why I fixed fights" Empty Re: "Why I fixed fights"

Post by milkyboy Thu 17 Apr 2014, 8:37 am

Thanks for posting. The full article is a fascinating read and extremely well written.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 18 Apr 2014, 1:46 pm

Out of the 380+ views, just me who liked it then. Damn its lonely out here.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 18 Apr 2014, 2:01 pm

No man, no. Don't lose faith...I too liked it. I loved it so much it hurt and all I wanted was for it to be happy, even without me in its life.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 18 Apr 2014, 2:09 pm

Jbw,  It needs a little space to find itself. Perhaps you an still be friends. It's not you, it's it.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 18 Apr 2014, 6:06 pm

I need some alone time. Just me, my walkman and a Lionel Richie casette.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down