The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

+26
mickyt
littleswannygirl
Portnoy
Gibson
Mick(TEFC)
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Luckless Pedestrian
Suspicious lurker
Mrs Penfro
WillyGilly
prop_lyd
Notch
Hound_of_Harrow
MrsP
MBTGOG
SimonofSurrey
Ozzy3213
Thomond
Rava
Mickado
red_stag
greybeard
Cari
rodders
Glas a du
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
30 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

Welcome to the virtual rugby pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the team photos of the World Cup finalists. Or the action shots (put up especially for Cari) of McCaw, Kahui and Corey Jane.

So pull up a chair....what'll it be?

Ale cuppa coffee mug guinness cider RedWine Bubbly Wales

Pāparakāuta tawhito/Hen dafarn/Old pub: https://www.606v2.com/t15995-the-dew-drop-inn-virtual-rugby-pub#576035

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Fri 21 Oct 2011, 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Glas a du Tue 18 Oct 2011, 7:33 am

Hook! Is he sleeping with Ho... censored
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Mrs Penfro Tue 18 Oct 2011, 7:46 am

Must be, hasn't done anything much to deserve his place, he was awful last week! Damn, I'm letting personal opinion creep in again. I must try to be more objective.

Mrs Penfro

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Tue 18 Oct 2011, 7:55 am

Morning all,

Rhys must still be injured then is he??
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 18 Oct 2011, 8:00 am

He has to be. Otherwise Gatland is a bit crazy.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 18 Oct 2011, 8:07 am

Bore da pawb / good morning all.

James Hook at ten for the third / fourth playoff? Presumably the thinking is that if the Wallabies can play a flaky outside half, we'll match them...

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 18 Oct 2011, 8:23 am

I listened to some of Real Radio's sports phone-in show yesterday. Caller after caller was saying Warburton's sending off was a disgraceful decision, that Rolland was biased or just plain incompetent, that Wales were robbed. How so many people can ignore the clear fact that Rolland applied the law precisely as he should have done is beyond me. It almost made me ashamed of being Welsh that so many of my countrymen were spouting such rubbish.

Where does the blame lie for defeat? With Warburton for his dangerous tackle; with our goalkickers for missing so many kicks; if you want to go that far, we could blame the players who gave away the penalties that Morgan Parra converted. The one thing that's clear is that Alain Rolland is blameless.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 18 Oct 2011, 8:29 am

Er, no, blameless he's not. One of a number of contributory factors. Look Stag knows that if you strictly enforce every law you would grind to a stalemate every match. For example, you are not allowed to have your head lower than your hips in the ruck, it's a free kick. When did you last see anybody pinged for that? The modern game depends in that law being ignored!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 18 Oct 2011, 8:41 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Bore da pawb / good morning all.

James Hook at ten for the third / fourth playoff? Presumably the thinking is that if the Wallabies can play a flaky outside half, we'll match them...
I like that, lucky - I'll see your flakey flyhalf, and raise you ours!! Laugh

Mrs Penfro wrote:Must be, hasn't done anything much to deserve his place, he was awful last week! Damn, I'm letting personal opinion creep in again. I must try to be more objective.
I wouldn't worry, Mrs Penfro, doesn't seem to stop anyone else! Run

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Oct 2011, 8:47 am

MrsP - how could you not know who Jonathan Edwards is!? Often referred to as Jedwards by Scarlets supporters (we are too lazy to say is full name), he plays in the backrow for us. He is also a fireman Smile

Faletau at 7? Hook at 10? James instad of Mitchell? Not very happy about any of that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Oct 2011, 8:56 am

And bore da pawb. Down to just two of us in the office today, so going to be a busy busy day for me I reckon. Lots of cuppa shall be on the go, even though I'm trying not to drink it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 18 Oct 2011, 9:00 am

Welsh regs, what do think of Gatland's admission that they contemplated faking an injury to a prop so they would have uncontested scrums?

Lucky I can understand the Welsh fans feeling hard done by. I agree some of the comments go too far. However even after three days Gatland continues to blame the ref publicly so the fans will follow suit.

Anyway with Hook at 10 and Toby at 7 there is a good chance you can take on the Aussies and win.

Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Oct 2011, 9:03 am

I think Gatland is just making a point about following the game to the letter of the law, or playing in the spirit of the game.

I think it's a valid point, but not sure he'd going about making it in the right way.

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 18 Oct 2011, 9:11 am

rugbydreamer wrote:MrsP - how could you not know who Jonathan Edwards is!? Often referred to as Jedwards by Scarlets supporters (we are too lazy to say is full name), he plays in the backrow for us. He is also a fireman Smile

Faletau at 7? Hook at 10? James instead of Mitchell? Not very happy about any of that.
Quite surprised about that - thought Mitchell did a decent job for Wales in the 6Ns - he's not at AJ's level, but he's not gash? James was given a torrid time by Poux (who's far from France's most renowned scrummager?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 18 Oct 2011, 9:26 am

Morning all,

Just broke my Facebook duck and had a sneaky peek at Facebook, LDCP Hug
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Tue 18 Oct 2011, 9:30 am

rugbydreamer wrote:I think Gatland is just making a point about following the game to the letter of the law, or playing in the spirit of the game.

But Rolland is known for being a precise ref. All teams know this. Isn't part of the game knowing who is reffing and 'playing to the ref'.

Shouldn't someone have said to the team "No tip tackles, Rolland will send you off. He has done it before"

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick(TEFC) Tue 18 Oct 2011, 9:32 am

Gatland did not have the idea about the prop replacement;it was one of his staff;I wonder who Headscratch
Mick(TEFC)
Mick(TEFC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 18 Oct 2011, 9:35 am

Thanks Kiwi, and all those who have commented on facebook. I don't buy newspapers but I see it has made the Sun online, although their reporting is very poor as a number of their 'facts' are incorrect. As I said I can't comment too much, I will just be glad when we are in a position to release information and it can be reported properly as opposed to the papers relying on information from sources which is incorrect.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 18 Oct 2011, 9:36 am

The point I was making was regarding the admission they contemplated faking an injury to gain parity at scrum time. I find it surprising he would consider this never mind actually admitting to it. Thank goodness they decided not to go ahead. I can see the IRB wanting to have a word!
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Oct 2011, 9:38 am

Heres a question - What do people actually think the spirit of the law refers to?

To me Rolland acted within the spirit of the law. The spirit of that particular law is a zero tolerance to dangerous tackling designed with player safety in mind.

I agree entirely with Luckless. Rolland is 100% blameless and as Ive said before I'm finding it more and more difficult to keep my sympathy for the Welsh up.

Gatland comes out today and says they considered faking an injury, the Welsh fans send the referee death threats and despite the heads of IRB and RFU making public statements confirming Rolland was correct (and criticising the referees who only went yellow), we still have people labelling someone who made a tough call as a cheat.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Oct 2011, 9:40 am

Glas a du wrote:Stag knows that if you strictly enforce every law you would grind to a stalemate every match.

Agree but lets use our heads here this isn't some technical offense - its a law relating to player safety.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Tue 18 Oct 2011, 9:41 am

I think, if we're honest, any fan will say the spirit of the law is any decision that doesn't make them angry Very Happy But I suppose a part of it is the 'no material effect' clause which helps the game flow. Dangerous play can't ever fall into that category, though. (But of course eveyone has their own opinion on what is and what isn't 'dangerous')

It's like saying 'the ethos of rugby', what does that actually mean? I don't like hearing people booing the kicker, other people say it doesn't bother them. But we might both say we love 'the ethos', even though for me not booing the kicker is part of that ethos.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick(TEFC) Tue 18 Oct 2011, 9:46 am

Would anyone agree that the shoulder attack that SBW made on O'Connor,whilst he was held, wrapped and unable to protect himself,should be rated in a similar category to SW's offence, and thus have been Red carded?
Mick(TEFC)
Mick(TEFC)

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Oct 2011, 9:55 am

Mick I didn't see it. Was he turned and driven into the ground or else lifted up and dropped from a height.

If so then its looking like Red. If not then a yellow may be an appropriate sanction.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick(TEFC) Tue 18 Oct 2011, 10:01 am

No;he was tackled and held,above waist height with his arms blocked to the body so he couldn't offload(a good tackle) and Williams came hurtling in and shouldered him at shoulder to head height;O'Connor received treatment for facial trauma immediately after.The guy went in to cause injury imo.
Mick(TEFC)
Mick(TEFC)

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Tue 18 Oct 2011, 10:17 am

Just read up on things Hug for you pete.....I'll give Sarries a good win in LV this weekend for you!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 18 Oct 2011, 10:35 am

Question!!

Can a player be signed by a Rabo Club at this stage of the season? The player would have been at the WC and therefore wouldn't have played for his current club.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Tue 18 Oct 2011, 10:45 am

I'm not even sure if there's a transfer window, I think players are free to change at any time as long as the team he leaves agree to release him from his contract.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 18 Oct 2011, 10:49 am

red_stag wrote:
Glas a du wrote:Stag knows that if you strictly enforce every law you would grind to a stalemate every match.

Agree but lets use our heads here this isn't some technical offense - its a law relating to player safety.

The example I gave was bought in to avoid broken necks at the ruck a la Gwyn Jones.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 18 Oct 2011, 10:49 am

Morning all - Sean O'Brien was in my local last night, beast of a man.

Rav, i think GB is right there, no such thing as a transfer window but generally contracts are honoured and they don't run out until the end of the season. I don't think there's any rule in place to stop a transfer though.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 18 Oct 2011, 10:53 am

Right thanks.

I have been told (reasonable reliable source) that Ulster Rugby are about to make a MAJOR announcement with regard to an IQ player.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 18 Oct 2011, 10:56 am

Rava wrote:Right thanks.

I have been told (reasonable reliable source) that Ulster Rugby are about to make a MAJOR announcement with regard to an IQ player.

Hands off <insert any Leinster players name here>!!! mad

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Tue 18 Oct 2011, 10:57 am

Bowe

He tweeted during the RWC that he had just done something major but signed an NDA.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 18 Oct 2011, 11:01 am

Pienaar – iHump
Trimble – Marshall – Spence – Bowe
Payne

Yeah, that could be a pretty decent backline. I suppose….
Shocked

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Tue 18 Oct 2011, 11:02 am

I want full credit when the news is broken!

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Oct 2011, 11:03 am

Stag - you are aware that those death threats were fake right? That no Welsh fan has actually done that? You shouldn't believe everything you read.

Asbo - it is weird that they've gone for James over Mitchell. Can only think perhaps Mitchell isn't fully fit? I thought he did a pretty good job for us in the 6N's personally.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 18 Oct 2011, 11:11 am

Mickado wrote:Sean O'Brien was in my local last night, beast of a man.

That is very cool.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 18 Oct 2011, 11:22 am

greybeard wrote:Bowe

He tweeted during the RWC that he had just done something major but signed an NDA.

Correct GB. Apparently there has been a deal done but another party have become involved and it could be scuppered.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Oct 2011, 11:30 am

rugbydreamer wrote:Stag - you are aware that those death threats were fake right? That no Welsh fan has actually done that? You shouldn't believe everything you read.

I actually didn't know that Dreamer, but what do you mean by fake? Were they made up to sell newspapers. If so thats disgraceful jouranlism and has painted Wales in a bad light.

I do stand by what I said though. I was so gutted when Wales lost. Not just for you regs, I really wanted Wales to win and I felt so sorry for the fans. It has hard to keep that level of sympathy due to some Wales fans reaction to it.

Possibly understandable but I don't see you or Penfro (who I spoke to this morning and is in super form) or Luckless reacting like that.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Oct 2011, 11:30 am

Ulster fans relax - its only Neil Best coming home Smile
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 18 Oct 2011, 11:41 am

red_stag wrote:Ulster fans relax - its only Neil Best coming home Smile

You are a naughty wee boy sometimes Stag censored
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Oct 2011, 11:42 am

It's not just Wales fans reacting in that way though Stag. You should have seen some of the English papers' headlines with things like 'Rolland Pratt' etc on it. Compare that to the front page of the Western Mail yesterday which was nothing like it. Sure there was a grumble at the ref but there was in no way a witch hunt or pointing the full finger of blame at him. The Welsh press has actually handled it really well. I'd just keep it in mind that it isn't just the Welsh reacting in this way is all. And I wouldn't let the reactions of a minority sway your feelings either Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Oct 2011, 11:46 am

Ah I know that - you should have seen Munster fans about the Neil Back incident. That was head wrecking. I remember watching Axels DVD and Peter Clohessy thinking that was a great piece of gamesmanship that had to be awarded. He said he only lost respect for Neil Back when he apologised for doing it. The fans didn't really see it that way.

From here its hard to differenciate between Welsh and English journalism. It all just looks UK to me Smile

As for a minority spoiling things, its a pity but it happens in all walks of life.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Oct 2011, 11:49 am

"As for a minority spoiling things, its a pity but it happens in all walks of life."

Only if you let it Stag OK

Ah to be fair, you probably only really get to see the English press, unless you go online and really look for the Welsh stuff. Neither are of particularly high quality!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 18 Oct 2011, 11:51 am

Stag - you have a PM btw OK

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 18 Oct 2011, 11:54 am

Oh cool just read it Mick. Sounds good, hopefully I can take it in. All comes down to time and money.

Dreamer - Falatau at 7? Seems a bit weird we were talking about this last night.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Oct 2011, 12:05 pm

Stag - yeah really odd, although according to some dragon fans on the boards outside,he has played there before. He should be able to do a good job, but personally I'd have preferred Lydiate there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 18 Oct 2011, 12:14 pm

I thought the plan had been for Lydiate to move to openside if Warburton got injured / sinbinned / red-carded unfairly. Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Tue 18 Oct 2011, 12:17 pm

Ah, but they didn't have a plan for a fair card Wink

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 18 Oct 2011, 12:21 pm

Still got to be better than Glas' suggestion of playing a 45 year old triple jumper at 7!

Very Happy

Rava!!!!

Please tell me it's true!!!

Is this off the back of losing Payne?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 18 Oct 2011, 12:21 pm

Well played, Greybeard!

Stag, you referred to it earlier: how nasty did it get among Irish fans on 606v2 after the quarter final? I didn't read any of the 'post mortem' threads so I genuinely don't know.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next