The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

+29
Portnoy
Suspicious lurker
Dave.
PenfroPete
KiaRose
rodders
Notch
perthshirepuma
MrsP
Mickado
MBTGOG
Mick(TEFC)
Hound_of_Harrow
Pal Joey
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Rava
Cari
red_stag
Mrs Penfro
Gibson
Glas a du
littleswannygirl
WillyGilly
Ozzy3213
prop_lyd
Thomond
Luckless Pedestrian
Cymroglan
33 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Guest Wed 12 Oct 2011, 8:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

Welcome to the virtual rugby pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the collage of pub regulars. We've got the big group pic from the HEC final in Cardiff, plus insets of ll those who couldn't make it

So pull up a chair....what'll it be?

Ale cuppa coffee mug guinness cider RedWine Bubbly Wales

Hen dafarn/Old pub: https://www.606v2.com/t15642p1000-the-dew-drop-inn-virtual-rugby-pub#576037

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Wed 12 Oct 2011, 8:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Thu 13 Oct 2011, 1:57 pm

lucky –harking back to your comment about ‘no return fixture’ in the LV cup. This is now one seriously weird and flawed competition under the current sponsors.

All the teams from one pool of four play all the teams from another pool of four once – let’s say pool A team play pool D teams. The winner of each pool goes through to the semi finals.

Now pool D could be very strong and all the teams win all their games against the pool A teams. However, someone from pool A must go through, so that could be a team with no points, but they have a better losing record than the other three teams in the pool. Meanwhile every team in pool D could be on 20 points but three of them miss out.

See what I mean about weird and flawed?

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 13 Oct 2011, 2:21 pm

Low Value indeed, Hound!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by littleswannygirl Thu 13 Oct 2011, 2:36 pm

I hadn't realised that Hound, it's bonkers! Erm
littleswannygirl
littleswannygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 13 Oct 2011, 2:48 pm

Hound similar system to be used in this year's B&I Cup. I hadn't given it much thought until you provided that insight.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 13 Oct 2011, 2:53 pm

Luckless, I have always found Munsters HEC quarter finals to be more enjoyable than the semi finals.

I want my team to win a quarter final. I don't want them to lose a semi. Theres a small but vital difference.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick(TEFC) Thu 13 Oct 2011, 2:53 pm

Just finished tidying,turning over the veg garden in 20C sunshine,with a light breeze-my sort of weather.
Now going to have a bottle of Pullman, by Hepworth&Co,horsham, which I found in a supermarket this morning. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm,lovely Ale

The Missoup affair continues;60,000 people have signed a petition to get B Lawrence banned from all international rugby reffing,and Yach is fit.
Mick(TEFC)
Mick(TEFC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 13 Oct 2011, 2:55 pm

It's a big difference Stag. On Saturday morning neither France nor Wales want to lose. The deciding factor is going to be who is prepared to go out there and try to win more.

Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 13 Oct 2011, 2:58 pm

I always try to find the good in a referee. However its has always looked to me that Bryce Lawrence is only refereeing these games cos his Daddy makes the call.

It really will Ozzy - I have to say I'd expect France to claim this but I fear they would give a poor account of themselves in a final.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:02 pm

The new LV format was arrived at to squeeze an extra game in, plus lob in a couple of extra Welsh derbies to the season.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:04 pm

Stag, as perverse as it seems I was more desperate for us not to lose last week than I am this week.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:08 pm

Pete - I think both teams are actually going to go out to win this game, I don't think playing not to lose suits either team at all.

Lucky - same here Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:14 pm

Dreamer - I think Hook coming into the team will help that attitude.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:23 pm

Stag - true, still reckon I'm going to need a valium or something to help my nerves at the sight of him starting against France. I know it's a tad irrational but I can't help how I feel!

Nallet was in my dream last night talking to me about how much he was looking forward to the match, and hoped he could improve on the brace of tries he got against us in the 6N's. I realise that makes me sound a bit mental, but I guess this is what OD'ing on rugby is doing to me Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:26 pm

I find your prematch routine of tearing the hair out and being terrified really funny Dreamer. I don't know why but it always makes me smile - your the same in every Wales game. I've friends who are the same but about soccer not rugby.

The thought of people like you watch games in the foetal position with clumps of hair torn out and no fingernails is what I love about sport.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:30 pm

Just back from a really good meeting with my lecturer. Talked about a potential subject for my dissertation and he seemed to really like the idea and that if it didn't work, there are many more avenues to head down.

Hope you're all well by the by!

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:31 pm

Laugh glad my anguish can be a source of amusement for you!

Ah to be fair, I don't think I'd feel right if I wasn't nervous before a match/any sporting event. It would just seem highly unnatural to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:39 pm

Not so long back Hook (along with Gav) was going to be the next big thing. What happened to make Welsh fans not entirely happy with him starting?

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:41 pm

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:Not so long back Hook (along with Gav) was going to be the next big thing. What happened to make Welsh fans not entirely happy with him starting?

I wonder the same. I think he's a super player still very young.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:44 pm

Dreamer, I’m the very same. Gibbo knows that before a match he can hardly get a word out of me.
I’m the same for rugby and big GAA matches, I’d feel wrong about not being doubled over with nerves before it.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:48 pm

Mick - glad it's not just me! OK

Hound - Hook has had some great performances in a Welsh shirt, he's also had pretty average if not bad performances. He often seems to play for himself as apposed to the team, a lot of that might be the fault of people viewing him as a "game changer" and he feels like he's got to take things more on by himself.

Personally I don't like how he crabs across the pitch a bit as he's making up his mind what to do. It just ends up cutting down that little space there is in international rugby and it causes our back line to stutter. This seems to happen whether he plays at 10 or in the centre.

He's pretty good at tactical kicking though and is an excellent place kicker, so many positives and negatives to take from him really. Superb talent though, no question.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 13 Oct 2011, 3:53 pm

Hook has been pushed from pillar to post a lot with the O's and with Wales. Maybe some people don't feel as confident with him at ten for this reason - unlike Priestland and Jones who've always played at ten.

I was reading the DM (always good for a silly story)...and well, I do wonder about the mentality of some people...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2048676/Tescos-Terrys-Chocolate-Oranges-sold-just-29p-glitch.html

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:10 pm

I remember Hook's debut v Aus in about 2006. He did make a good start to rest rugby. Crackibg game that one.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:12 pm

I'll take your word for it Hound, I don't remember that match at all!

Hook needs a full season at 10 before we're all completely trusting of him starting there I think Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:28 pm

Willy, 4-1-2-1-2 can give you width it's all about who you deploy in your midfield two and how you deploy them.

Last edited by Thomond on Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed it for ye smart arses.)

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:32 pm

19 or 20 aside?

Bound to be an advantage!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:34 pm

12 up front? Surely that's cheating?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:36 pm

Changed it ye bollixes. Wink

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:43 pm

G'day T, sorry for the bitchy post early this morn. I blame that As. He got me drunk on Belgian beer. I bow to yer superior knowledge of Irish football these days. I barely know half the bleedin team, but I just rate McGeady more than most. Maybe he is not utilised in the right way. Highly rate your man Doyle too. He will be a huge loss in the playoffs. Hug guinness

When's the draw mate?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:43 pm

Ireland have Estonia, away leg first. http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/1013/euro2012_republicofireland.html

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:47 pm

Thomond wrote:Ireland have Estonia, away leg first. http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/1013/euro2012_republicofireland.html

Heard that on the wireless earlier. Estonia weakest team in the play offs no?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:50 pm

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:I remember Hook's debut v Aus in about 2006. He did make a good start to rest rugby. Crackibg game that one.

Hound, was that at the Millennium Stadium? If it's the game I'm thinking of, Wales got off to a poor start and were a couple of tries down, things looking bleak, the crowd subdued. Stephen Jones (I think) taken off and Hook brought on, still in the first half, Hook's first act is to kick from his own 22 into Australia's, we win the lineout and excellent handling (especially by Gavin Henson, who gets the ball away just as he's about to get smashed) leads to a try for Shane Williams in the corner. The crowd come alive.

We lost the match, as I recall it - we were leading with not long left, Kevin Morgan's clearing kick doesn't find touch, Chris Latham runs it back and scores the decisive try.

Last edited by luckless_pedestrian on Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : There's a D in 'find.')

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:50 pm

Rankings they are Pete. Probably the best draw Ireland could have got. Watch them F it up though.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:02 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:
Thomond wrote:Ireland have Estonia, away leg first. http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/1013/euro2012_republicofireland.html

No that would be Ireland The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 3 2143842934
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:11 pm

Trap should be confident of reaching his goals. A draw away from home and at home and take them on in penalties.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:13 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:

On man that's a great draw. Brian Kerr's Faroe Isles beat them 2-0 in the group. We should be too good for em.

Having the 2nd leg at home is a huge advantage.
Id love to see them there. It would give the country a great lift.

Believe.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:20 pm

I'm considering going to the Palindrome for the first time for it.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:24 pm

Ah yeah, go T. Good karma. The atmosphere, if we are level or ahead, starting it, should be fantastic. Need a result out there. 1-1, would be grand. 0-1 would be even better. 0-0 is dangerous.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:26 pm

Ireland have conceded most of their goals in the group stages at home.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick(TEFC) Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:28 pm

Thomond wrote:I'm considering going to the Palindrome for the first time for it.

Is that Sarah's brothel in Alaska?
Mick(TEFC)
Mick(TEFC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:28 pm

No, tis the Aviva.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:36 pm

Is that near Lansdowne?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:37 pm

Only a few metres away.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:39 pm

I have to say I find myself saying Aviva Stadium a lot more than I expected to.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:40 pm

I'm starting to say it now. I keep forgetting to call it Landowne.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by perthshirepuma Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:42 pm

Away to York for a long weekend tomorrow Yahoo

perthshirepuma

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:43 pm

Mick(TEFC) wrote:
Thomond wrote:I'm considering going to the Palindrome for the first time for it.

Is that Sarah's brothel in Alaska?
laughing

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:43 pm

Thomond wrote:I'm starting to say it now. I keep forgetting to call it Landowne.

It happens Sad

I vowed to never call Lancaster Park "Jade Stadium", but a couple of years later ...

Netball tonight, and one of my team-nates has sent me an email that got tied up in work's spam filter - I've "released" it but the message hasn't come through. I bet she's bailing on the game tonight too Sad steam . Stupid Sophos (the software co that makes the filter)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:46 pm

I personally don't see the big deal. A rose by any other words smells as sweet.

Nobody gives out about saying the Heineken Cup instead of the European Cup.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:56 pm

Ah sure it doesn't really matter in the Grand Scheme of things. Aviva will take over as time goes by. Its just boring ol farts like me that stay traditionalist. I remember being there in the 70's/80's watching Irish rugby and soccer teams playing in front of 50,000 plus baying fans - every time. So I spose it will always be Lansdowne to me.

Id love to hear the Aviva(Lansdowne) Roar come back. Its lacking of late. Used be a terrifying thing for the opposition to deal with. Even if we were krap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpEctXsTDQg&feature=player_detailpage

Found this on Moss Keane. Man, he was a true Legend. Loved that guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dP7Sha1Zzoc
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Thu 13 Oct 2011, 5:57 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
Hound_of_Harrow wrote:I remember Hook's debut v Aus in about 2006. He did make a good start to rest rugby. Crackibg game that one.

Hound, was that at the Millennium Stadium? If it's the game I'm thinking of, Wales got off to a poor start and were a couple of tries down, things looking bleak, the crowd subdued. Stephen Jones (I think) taken off and Hook brought on, still in the first half, Hook's first act is to kick from his own 22 into Australia's, we win the lineout and excellent handling (especially by Gavin Henson, who gets the ball away just as he's about to get smashed) leads to a try for Shane Williams in the corner. The crowd come alive.

We lost the match, as I recall it - we were leading with not long left, Kevin Morgan's clearing kick doesn't find touch, Chris Latham runs it back and scores the decisive try.

Nope - try this one...Hook rescued the game. I watched it in a pub in Brighton on a birthday bash.

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/matchcentre/3634.php

Check the action in this clip - you'll enjoy Gough's tackle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIFSbpPwZS0

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next