The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray Was Wrong Says Nadal

+12
Josiah Maiestas
banbrotam
legendkillar
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
Calder106
time please
Positively 4th Street
bogbrush
barrystar
Jarvik
mthierry
hawkeye
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Murray Was Wrong Says Nadal - Page 2 Empty Murray Was Wrong Says Nadal

Post by hawkeye Wed 12 Oct 2011, 3:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

This is from an article by Niel Harman. IMO one of the best tennis writers around. Unfortunately as most will realise I'm unable to provide links as its a PPV site.

Murray apparently believes that the top 4 have all improved this year. This was put to Nadal and this was his response.

“I am not in agreement,” Nadal said. “I think Djokovic, yes. I played worse than last year. I was very regular, probably even more regular than last year, but I played a little bit worse, I think. Roger played well, but he lost a few more matches that in the past he was never going to lose.”

He didn't mention Murray himself. Don't know if I'm correct to presume this means Nadal thinks Murray has stayed at the same level.

Who is correct Nadal or Murray?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Murray Was Wrong Says Nadal - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray Was Wrong Says Nadal

Post by banbrotam Fri 14 Oct 2011, 5:31 pm

mthierry wrote:
banbrotam wrote:

Er no. As I'm agreeing that he's not as good. However, he is still playing great Tennis at some of the Slams. My point about the Nadal final set, is that it sent out a vital psychological blow to Nadal, remembering that this is a player who already has seen Nole turn the form around on him and he doesn't want Murray doing it. Having seen some of the play, if you've seen a better double backhand this year........

These are all subtle things and I said earlier this week that Murray beating Nadal on hardcourts i no big deal. For me it was the manner of the victory that was important

Interesting that Murray wants to bring up the subject of consistent balls, likening the situation to a golfer suing different balls every time!!
I honestly believe you're making too much of that victory. I'm not saying anyone, including Nadal, flies out to Asia to get beaten but compared to the slams, the depths to which they're willing to dig up and exploit the reserves of their max potential and willpower is very different. Nadal also notoriously struggles badly this time of the year.

I could imagine him getting a worse mauling at the hands of an in-form Tsonga, DelPotro, Berdych at this time of the year and few would blink at the news of it.

Murray has delivered no psychological blow in a 500 tournament considering he was well beaten by the same player in 3 consecutive slams and coming off 5 consecutive losses to the player including the 02 tie.

You are making too much of a tour win and you need some perspective.

Considering I've already declared several times that Murray should beat Rafa on hard courts, I'm wondering what you mean by 'some perspective'. I'm discussing the subtle and important psychology that interferes with Nole, Rafa and Andy. And everybody blinks when Rafa loses to someone outside his surrounding three rivals and always when it's 6-0. Did you see that last set? It certainly will make Rafa more honest, next time they meet!! And that is the point. A defeat that to you (in your simple thinking kind of way) reads 'F of a 500 event - move on' is far far more important when the Top 4 play each other.

Otherwise, why did Federer celebrate like he'd won the French Open when he beat Rafa at Madrid in 2009?

I've not said that he's delivered a 'psychological blow' against Nadal, that's the kind of 'Sun' headline comment I expect off you!! However, it certainly will have reminded Nadal that on a decent paced Hard Court he loses to Murray far more than not, 4 times out of the last 6 meetings (ignoring the US Open, because it must certainly wasn't a decent paced court, having been newly laid)

I also suspect that Nadal is far more bothered about keeping Murray a bay by beating him than he is Berdy, Tsonga or even the slam winning Del Boy. This is simply because Murray is a serial Masters winner and a serial Slam semi-finalist, i.e. an obstacle best sorted, at every opportunity so the psychology of the next Slam SF is firmly with Rafa

Stay with posters who have a considered thought (often wrong of course!!) I know it's difficult in these instant access days - but do try Cool

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 14 Oct 2011, 6:03 pm

banbrotam

Do you think Nadal was playing well against Murray in Japan? Do you think he was playing well at the US Open 3 years ago? Do you think being injured in Rotterdam and the AO two years ago may have affected his play?

Do you think Nadal played well against Mayer yesterday when Mayer unlike Murray only needed two sets to beat him? Do you think Nadal will beat Mayer next time they play or do you think this match indicates that Mayer is now stronger on hard courts than Nadal?

I know what my answers to those questions are...

Prior to this match in Japan Nadal had beaten Murray 5 straight times. One match in 500 tournament means little. Especially in this Asian swing were everything feels a little stale.

Murray looks set to earn quite a few points here though and is making the most of this time of year.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 6:56 pm

I'll have to disagree on that one Hawkeye, It was the final of a Masters and it is part of the build up the WTF's at the end of the year. No player is going to let the other guy roll over him because the event doesnt matter.

Nadal has been on a losing streak for longer than he or anyone ever anticiopated and he needs wins like this to get his confidence back.

I have watched the highlights and didnt see Nadal give up running for a shot from Murray, rather he couldnt get to them, the shots were so good.
And why would a player only go into a tournament like that half-hearted, what purpose is there in allowing one of your closest rivals to give you a public lesson in shot making just because he couldnt be bothered with it all.

I've known players to take the route where they use a 500 event to change their game around and try different things, but when the push comes to the shove and its final day, things take on a completely different light and they play to win it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 7:32 pm

hawkeye wrote:

Do you think Nadal was playing well against Murray in Japan? Do you think he was playing well at the US Open 3 years ago? Do you think being injured in Rotterdam and the AO two years ago may have affected his play?

You forgot Toronto 2010 or is that the only time you reckon Murray beat a fit and on-form Nadal ?

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Fri 14 Oct 2011, 7:48 pm

banbrotam wrote:
Considering I've already declared several times that Murray should beat Rafa on hard courts, I'm wondering what you mean by 'some perspective'. I'm discussing the subtle and important psychology that interferes with Nole, Rafa and Andy. And everybody blinks when Rafa loses to someone outside his surrounding three rivals and always when it's 6-0. Did you see that last set? It certainly will make Rafa more honest, next time they meet!! And that is the point. A defeat that to you (in your simple thinking kind of way) reads 'F of a 500 event - move on' is far far more important when the Top 4 play each other.

Otherwise, why did Federer celebrate like he'd won the French Open when he beat Rafa at Madrid in 2009?

I've not said that he's delivered a 'psychological blow' against Nadal, that's the kind of 'Sun' headline comment I expect off you!! However, it certainly will have reminded Nadal that on a decent paced Hard Court he loses to Murray far more than not, 4 times out of the last 6 meetings (ignoring the US Open, because it must certainly wasn't a decent paced court, having been newly laid)

I also suspect that Nadal is far more bothered about keeping Murray a bay by beating him than he is Berdy, Tsonga or even the slam winning Del Boy. This is simply because Murray is a serial Masters winner and a serial Slam semi-finalist, i.e. an obstacle best sorted, at every opportunity so the psychology of the next Slam SF is firmly with Rafa

Stay with posters who have a considered thought (often wrong of course!!) I know it's difficult in these instant access days - but do try Cool

Maybe you need to read your comments again. You said Murray dealt Nadal a psychological blow.

And what on earth do you mean by Murray SHOULD beat Nadal on hardcourts? Classic case of jumping above one's station while celebrating a bit of success.

I already addressed your tenuous claims about the pace of hardcourts where both have met (prepostrously claiming Melbourne is a quick hardcourt). It's a case built on hindsight: Murray loses and the court was slow (US Open and year end championships at the O2), he wins and with no visible evidence, you declare it was a quick court (like you did Shanghai).

You speak with a lot of hyperbole -using words like "far" very often- and are very excitable. After witnessing the Murray rollercoaster for years, I'd have thought you'd keep a better perspective on his place.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 14 Oct 2011, 10:30 pm

hawkeye wrote:banbrotam

Do you think Nadal played well against Mayer yesterday when Mayer unlike Murray only needed two sets to beat him? Do you think Nadal will beat Mayer next time they play or do you think this match indicates that Mayer is now stronger on hard courts than Nadal?

I know what my answers to those questions are...

Prior to this match in Japan Nadal had beaten Murray 5 straight times. One match in 500 tournament means little. Especially in this Asian swing were everything feels a little stale.

Murray looks set to earn quite a few points here though and is making the most of this time of year.

Er Nadal was playing as well as he was in the early stages of the US Open. I realise that there's a law that states that Murray can only beat his three rivals when they're either;-

1) Tired
2) or disinterested
3) or injured

... so I assume you're implying that Nadal met conditon No.2 Doh

You're analogy of Mayer beating Nadal and relating it to Murray, is of course a very entertaining point. Simplistic though and hence of low intelligence. You see Mayer hasn't beaten Nadal in a Masters series or two Grand Slams, so I'm not certain Nadal would be worrying about Mayer's confidence being higher the next time they play

You seem to be either a little bit too limited in your thinking to understand that Murray's victory was psychologically significant, because he came back from a set down, took the best Nadal could throw at him and came back with interest. It's actually rare anything like that happens to Nadal who is a great front runner. But of course Nole has also lost opening sets to Nadal and lost. See where I'm coming from? There was already a slightly unsure Nadal, given Nole's dominance. Now he's got the passive Murray who (apparently) he 'owns' doing exactly to him what Djokovic did

Of course, he, us and Murray knows that it's a relatively small tournament - but the manner of the turnaround was an important moment. Murray seems to have found a consistently hard cross court forehand - easily his weakest shot and Nadal seems to be running out of ideas, talking about the need to get fitter / stronger!!

No-ones saying this makes Murray the 2nd best in the world. What it does is show that the five defeats weren't necessarily a true reflection of their match up on hard courts, given that the closest defeat was on the fastest courts of those five matches. No-one thinks that Murray is going to beat Nadal at the French and Wimbledon yet (I'm a Murray fan who thinks Wimbledon is far too slow for him against Nadal)

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:12 pm

mthierry wrote:
banbrotam wrote:

Maybe you need to read your comments again. You said Murray dealt Nadal a psychological blow.

And what on earth do you mean by Murray SHOULD beat Nadal on hardcourts? Classic case of jumping above one's station while celebrating a bit of success.

I already addressed your tenuous claims about the pace of hardcourts where both have met (prepostrously claiming Melbourne is a quick hardcourt). It's a case built on hindsight: Murray loses and the court was slow (US Open and year end championships at the O2), he wins and with no visible evidence, you declare it was a quick court (like you did Shanghai).

You speak with a lot of hyperbole -using words like "far" very often- and are very excitable. After witnessing the Murray rollercoaster for years, I'd have thought you'd keep a better perspective on his place.

Relative to today's hardcourts and certainly to today's Slam surfaces and given the normal very good weather then Melbourne is a quick court. It isn't as quick as the US Open used to be prior to this year. Paris, Toronto, Cincy are quicker

If the US Open court wasn't slow, why on earth did everyone say it was and the organisers have to explain the reasons. Or were you 'out' during these discussions? Please feel free to google the discussions or watch re-runs of the opinions of the players.

I never said that the O2 was on a slow court, I said it was slower than some hard courts. Here they went toe to toe and it was a toss up as to who won, i.e. a close match. Please pay attention, rather than just making things / read things in context / read all someones posts, before making daft judgements

Non fans of Murray like Bogbrush also agree that he should beat Nadal on hardcourts. This conclusion is reached simply because he's got the better game for hardcourts (again I've always stated that this is marginal i.e 60:40) that's why he's a permanet fixture of the Top 4. Has won 7 out of 8 hardcourt Masters finals and 18 out of his 20 tournaments on hardcourts. If he isn't better than Nadal on such surfaces then he's obviously nowhere near the Top 3 in ability - as he's urine poor (in comparison to them) on Clay. But of course that's ultimately your point!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:18 pm

banbrotam

Ha ha! So only the self selected intellegent can appreciate the psychological significance of Murrays victories?

As for Murrays "consistently hard cross court forehand". Everyone knows or rather everyone should know thats one of his weaknesses. He hits it consistantly crosscourt as his down the line forehand is practically non existant. Also when has Nadal talked about the need to get fitter and stronger? From what I've seen its Murray who thinks thats the secret to success

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:35 pm

hawkeye wrote:banbrotam

Ha ha! So only the self selected intellegent can appreciate the psychological significance of Murrays victories?

As for Murrays "consistently hard cross court forehand". Everyone knows or rather everyone should know thats one of his weaknesses. He hits it consistantly crosscourt as his down the line forehand is practically non existant. Also when has Nadal talked about the need to get fitter and stronger? From what I've seen its Murray who thinks thats the secret to success

Are you deliberately provocative or do you have a flaw that means you misquote posters. I stated that and I quote "Murray seems to have found a consistently hard cross court forehand - easily his weakest shot".

Amazingly you can take this comment and make out it's opposite of what you think even though it amounts to the same opinion. Maybe that's what you call 'intelligent debate'

Yes. Murray's forehand is his weakest shot. Interesting times then, given that it is getting better with each passing month - or have you not noticed

Murray's game is totally different to Nadal's. He relies more on touch and feel, but realises he has to get fitter and stronger so he's not blown away by the monotonous hard hitters. Considering Nadal's already looks like a mini body builder, him saying he;s going to get fitter raises more eyebrows. I mean how much fitter can the one of the fittest ever men to play the game get?

Let's be honest this was a WUM article, where you're implying that Nadal, because he didn't say Murray has improved, has got worse. Then you skew every comment to fit this opinion, i.e. yours. It's best not to hide behind someone else - just be bold enough to have the courage of your convictions. We Murray fans have no issue with those who don't rate him - provided of course they don't misquote, make things up etc just to get a comment

This web site is way more entertaining than MTL. But then again it has way more many WUM's who would tell you black was white if it meant denigrating Murray!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:38 pm

Banbro - you are making too much of that last week win over Nadal. Way too much. What about Mayer? Is he going to go on and win slams from now on too?

There is no doubt that Murray can beat the top guys on the day. He has done it before and will eventually do it in slams again soon. But please don't get carried away by that 60. Even Lacko the number 150 in the world bagled Nadal. You have to understand though that the Nadal of post USO season is not the same as the one of spring summer season. It's a completely different player post slams, simply running out of juice.

You first came up with the explanation that Tokyo playing faster helped swing the result from the USO encounter into a Nadal thrashing in just 3 weeks when clearly everybody including Nadal said that Tokyo had actually slow balls (obvious to the eye)?!?. Please stop being so focused on Murray and try to analyse his opposition as well.

Ad BTW, Murray, like Djoko, has the game to beat Nadal on all surfaces in slams ...but he needs to be himself on top form. Next year should be interesting.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:50 pm

On the subject of the OP. Murray is of course right and Nadal is simply trying to deny the obvious. he has been caught up by a better player. Djokovic 2011 is no Soderling or Berdych 2010. What must be depressing for him is that in went from close to total domination to being totally dominated in 3 months. So of course he simply cannot admit that he was overtaken and I think it's going to get worse for him.

All those top players are improving but some faster than others, that's all.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 15 Oct 2011, 9:00 am

banbrotum

I'm not trying to be provocative by saying Murray hasn't got the better of Nadal based on one win out of the last 6! I suggest it is those that say Murray has.

I can just imagine if the score in their latest match had been the other way round. If Murray had won the first set convincingly and then gone away half way through the second set. It would be argued that Murray found the key to beating Nadal he just has to do it consistantly...

Nadal has had lots of losses in his career and he will continue to have them. Yes its a shock - he does have the highest winning percentage of any player so it doesn't happen often.

And enough of the snide body builder stuff. I thought we'de had enough of that from another poster. I've said what I think about Nadals fitness in an earlier article...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Sat 15 Oct 2011, 9:53 am

banbrotam wrote:
Er Nadal was playing as well as he was in the early stages of the US Open. I realise that there's a law that states that Murray can only beat his three rivals when they're either;-

1) Tired
2) or disinterested
3) or injured

You're analogy of Mayer beating Nadal and relating it to Murray, is of course a very entertaining point. Simplistic though and hence of low intelligence. You see Mayer hasn't beaten Nadal in a Masters series or two Grand Slams, so I'm not certain Nadal would be worrying about Mayer's confidence being higher the next time they play

You seem to be either a little bit too limited in your thinking to understand that Murray's victory was psychologically significant, because he came back from a set down, took the best Nadal could throw at him and came back with interest. It's actually rare anything like that happens to Nadal who is a great front runner. But of course Nole has also lost opening sets to Nadal and lost. See where I'm coming from? There was already a slightly unsure Nadal, given Nole's dominance. Now he's got the passive Murray who (apparently) he 'owns' doing exactly to him what Djokovic did

Of course, he, us and Murray knows that it's a relatively small tournament - but the manner of the turnaround was an important moment. Murray seems to have found a consistently hard cross court forehand - easily his weakest shot and Nadal seems to be running out of ideas, talking about the need to get fitter / stronger!!

No-ones saying this makes Murray the 2nd best in the world. What it does is show that the five defeats weren't necessarily a true reflection of their match up on hard courts, given that the closest defeat was on the fastest courts of those five matches. No-one thinks that Murray is going to beat Nadal at the French and Wimbledon yet (I'm a Murray fan who thinks Wimbledon is far too slow for him against Nadal)
You know, questioning someone's intelligence or calling their argument daft doesn't make your points appear any more convincing: it just makes you appear really juvenile, petty and pathetic. It's possible to have civilized discourse without sinking to that level.

I thought you denied claiming Murray dealt Nadal a psychological blow but you're repeating the absurd claim again. Going as far as comparing it to Nole only shows how out of touch with reality you are. That ludacris claim may have some justification when Murray wins 6 consecutive grand slam and masters 1000 finals for the loss of just 4 sets.

There is nothing "apparent" about Nadal owning Murray. A 13-5 record is an owning in my book and would be a lot worse if they hadn't met just 4 times on clay. And believe it or not, Wimbledon -despite the changes to the surface- is still one of the quickest surfaces on tour. It records significantly more aces and less breaks of serve than any grand slam. Being comparatively slower than the 90's court doesn't make it a slow surface. Murray just gets owned there by Nadal and you can't deal with it.

And did you just have the cheek to make snide remarks about Nadal needing to get stronger and fitter? Isn't the irony lost on you considering Murray talks about it FAR more than any player? There really are too many hilarious comments above to address so I guess I'll allow you wallow in your delusion till the slams next year give you better perspective.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 15 Oct 2011, 1:12 pm

FYI Jubb - article is 'Rafa eager to maintain that he is happy with his form and his team' from The Times 12th October.

You are a charmer aren't you mthierry - weren't you someone who was complaining about the courtesy in other peoples' posts?

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 15 Oct 2011, 1:41 pm

PS Neil Harman the journalist of above piece is featured in article 'I'm cold, you can quote me on that' about Murray. He is pictured squatting and taking notes next to Murray who is looking cold in an ice bath - it is on the ATP site.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Sat 15 Oct 2011, 1:56 pm

time please wrote:FYI Jubb - article is 'Rafa eager to maintain that he is happy with his form and his team' from The Times 12th October.

You are a charmer aren't you mthierry - weren't you someone who was complaining about the courtesy in other peoples' posts?
I know my post sounded a little unpleasant but my tone often mirrors that of the poster I'm replying to. In 3 consecutive replies to me and the OP, he went on to denigrate our intelligence and belittle our opinions with dismissive contempt so I guess I was replying in kind.

At least, I didn't insult his intelligence.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Sat 15 Oct 2011, 1:58 pm

time please wrote:FYI Jubb - article is 'Rafa eager to maintain that he is happy with his form and his team' from The Times 12th October.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 15 Oct 2011, 2:01 pm

Yes, actually I owe you a bit of an apology because I saw that afterwards!

Sorry

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sat 15 Oct 2011, 3:13 pm

So did Murray say that he 'believes that the top 4 have all improved this year' as stated in the OP. Or as reported in all other articles I have seen the question put to Nadal was that Murray had said that 'the level of Mens tennnis has gone up a notch this year'. Although in either case I think Murray is wrong ( Djokovic has taken his game to a new level don't think anyone else has) there is a quite distinction between the two statements. If it was the former what was the question he was answering. If asked about how he saw the top four ranked players performing this year I'm sure if he had replied Novak has played better and Rafa and Roger as not as good I'm sure there would be loads of comments on here quite correctly to the effect of what gives him the right to comment aversely on these guys. Rafa can get away with it because a) he is discussing himself b) with the slams he has won he has earned that right.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 15 Oct 2011, 6:03 pm

Calder106 wrote:So did Murray say that he 'believes that the top 4 have all improved this year' as stated in the OP. Or as reported in all other articles I have seen the question put to Nadal was that Murray had said that 'the level of Mens tennnis has gone up a notch this year

It was actually the latter in the Times, but we don't know exactly the words Murray used because Harman does not quote him directly, it is Rafa's reaction to what Murray has said that is reported verbatim. To be fair to Hawkeye, I think the paraphrasing does not skew the meaning of the article in any way because we are told how Rafa intepreted whatever Harman and he talked about. Also to talk of men's tennis taking a hike this year, I think most people would assume that it was the top four as they have been the ones mainly competing for the last four spaces at everyone of the blue riband events - the slams - only Rogers Qf at W and Rafa's at AO knocks the trend. It would be very strange if the inference was that the chasing pack, who have delivered little and thrown up no new stars to really threaten, were the subject of the comment.

Harman, as hawkeye pointed out, is one of the most trusted journalists by the players and is very unlikely to jeopardise the intimacy he has with them all by misleading. Look at ATP article as he interviews Murray in his ice bath.

BTW, I think post Tokyo it is brilliant if Murray thinks this way, however wrong he may be - if it gave him the edge in mind games over his opponent it might be a smart move too - just wonder if he is not setting himself up sometimes as he did during W 2009 by voicing this belief out loud!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sat 15 Oct 2011, 6:35 pm

TP. Thanks for the clarification. I know that Neil Harman is a good respected journalist both by players and people who read his articles. As you say Murray gets on well with him as does Nadal. As I say either way I think Murray is wrong. I do think that the top four ranked players have moved a bit away from the chasing pack this year as evidenced in the rankings points at the slams as you have correctly pointed out. But apart from Djovokic that has not really meant they have been playing better. I would say that only

My point regarding the OP was that it says something different from what the actual referenced article said. Why does the poster have to put his own interpretation on what was reported as I do think it skews things.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sun 16 Oct 2011, 2:45 am

Well to be honest Calder I think that is the intepretation we would all probably reach given Rafa's reaction to, and how he addresses the point. I think it is just a case of paraphrasing from an article and trying to remember exact words when you are unable to paste and copy. It doesn't alter the sense in any way imho.

In any event, it is good to have a topical news article to discuss -and because this one featured in The Times it wouldn't automatically have come to everyone's attention Very Happy

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sun 16 Oct 2011, 6:44 pm

time please wrote:Well to be honest Calder I think that is the intepretation we would all probably reach given Rafa's reaction to, and how he addresses the point. I think it is just a case of paraphrasing from an article and trying to remember exact words when you are unable to paste and copy. It doesn't alter the sense in any way imho.

TP I don't think either of us will convince the other on this. So let's just agree to disagree and move on to other threads. Hug

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sun 16 Oct 2011, 7:13 pm

Hi Calder, happy to agree to disagree Hug

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:41 pm

mthierry wrote:
banbrotam wrote:

1) Tired
2) or disinterested
3) or injured

You know, questioning someone's intelligence or calling their argument daft doesn't make your points appear any more convincing: it just makes you appear really juvenile, petty and pathetic. It's possible to have civilized discourse without sinking to that level.

I thought you denied claiming Murray dealt Nadal a psychological blow but you're repeating the absurd claim again. Going as far as comparing it to Nole only shows how out of touch with reality you are. That ludacris claim may have some justification when Murray wins 6 consecutive grand slam and masters 1000 finals for the loss of just 4 sets.

There is nothing "apparent" about Nadal owning Murray. A 13-5 record is an owning in my book and would be a lot worse if they hadn't met just 4 times on clay. And believe it or not, Wimbledon -despite the changes to the surface- is still one of the quickest surfaces on tour. It records significantly more aces and less breaks of serve than any grand slam. Being comparatively slower than the 90's court doesn't make it a slow surface. Murray just gets owned there by Nadal and you can't deal with it.

And did you just have the cheek to make snide remarks about Nadal needing to get stronger and fitter? Isn't the irony lost on you considering Murray talks about it FAR more than any player? There really are too many hilarious comments above to address so I guess I'll allow you wallow in your delusion till the slams next year give you better perspective.

I'm stopping debating with you, as you seem to read things into comments that do not exist. For instance, I haven't made any snide comments about Nadal - fact is how on earth is he going to get stronger and fitter given that he's (arguably) the strongest and fittest ever player (can you perhaps answer this valid point) Murray changed his diet after Wimbledon as he wants to stop the lows he gets like at US 10 - I wasn't aware of Nadal having these lows, hence it's very relevant for Murray to get 'stronger and fitter' as he can improve. If you think Nadal's comment about fitness was anything more than giving some kind of answer to a question at a press conference that he had no interest in, then fair enough

Like smart alec journalists do with Politicians, you take someones comment, misquote it and then forever use it in discussions. For instance, can you point out what on earth prompted you to make out that I was saying that Murray's forehand is his one of his stengths? I've already asked you once and of course got no answer

I've clarified your alleged 'contradictions' that I have - it would be good if you did the same, but you seem incapable.

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:50 pm

Tenez wrote:Banbro - you are making too much of that last week win over Nadal. Way too much. What about Mayer? Is he going to go on and win slams from now on too?

There is no doubt that Murray can beat the top guys on the day. He has done it before and will eventually do it in slams again soon. But please don't get carried away by that 60. Even Lacko the number 150 in the world bagled Nadal. You have to understand though that the Nadal of post USO season is not the same as the one of spring summer season. It's a completely different player post slams, simply running out of juice.

You first came up with the explanation that Tokyo playing faster helped swing the result from the USO encounter into a Nadal thrashing in just 3 weeks when clearly everybody including Nadal said that Tokyo had actually slow balls (obvious to the eye)?!?. Please stop being so focused on Murray and try to analyse his opposition as well.

Ad BTW, Murray, like Djoko, has the game to beat Nadal on all surfaces in slams ...but he needs to be himself on top form. Next year should be interesting.

Tenez. Just because someone takes up half a page to explain why they think a victory was significant, doesn't mean to say they think that it's the 'be all and all'

I can't win!! I've said several times that Murray should be beating Nadal on hard courts, i.e. I was pretty cool about the win. However, the shots Murray displayed in that final set was the best we've ever seen from him AND against Nadal -of course it therefore has some affect

Incidentally, Murray stated (after the Baggy match) that he thought Tokyo was playing faster than his previous event, i.e. in his mind it was a relatively fast court

Sorry, but I think the last three courts have been faster than the US Open and I've watched some of the play in all the events

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2