The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray & Nadal

+7
hawkeye
JuliusHMarx
subhranshu.kumar.5
Born Slippy
banbrotam
laverfan
Jeremy_Kyle
11 posters

Go down

Murray & Nadal Empty Murray & Nadal

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Tue 08 Oct 2013, 9:20 pm

Two excellent players indeed.

Maybe not the most pleasing to the eye, maybe not the most exciting style of play, but boy how effective these two can be in getting the job done.

If memory serves me right, out of the last 5 slams 4 were won by either Murray or Nadal, although they never met in the process.

Who will prevail when they finally meet in a slam? Murray or Nadal?
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Murray & Nadal Empty Re: Murray & Nadal

Post by laverfan Wed 09 Oct 2013, 12:33 am

If Djokovic has any say in it, never in the final.

In slams...

2011 - Nadal v Murray 3-0 (RG,W,USO).
2010 - Nadal (W) v Murray (AO) 1-1
2008 - Nadal (W) v Murray (USO) 1-1
2007 - Nadal (AO) v Murray 1-0

No slam matches in 2012-2013 between these two.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 09 Oct 2013, 9:29 am

Depends where it is

Australian - Hot, Murray. Cool, Nadal
French - Nadal!!
Wimbledon - Murray (unless it's one of those cold dry final days, but still probably Murray!!)
US Open - Murray

Assumes, Murray is 100% fit with regards to his back

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 09 Oct 2013, 11:59 am

Why do you think hot conditions favour Andy? I think he would have very little chance against Rafa in the heat of the day in Oz. Slightly cooler evening conditions (like their two previous matches there) would give Andy a good chance.

Rafa also has to be the favourite at Wimbledon given that Andy has yet to win a set off him there!

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 09 Oct 2013, 12:06 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Why do you think hot conditions favour Andy? I think he would have very little chance against Rafa in the heat of the day in Oz. Slightly cooler evening conditions (like their two previous matches there) would give Andy a good chance.

Rafa also has to be the favourite at Wimbledon given that Andy has yet to win a set off him there!

Faster conditions (i.e. heat) give Andy more of a chance than cooler slower ones, i.e. Aus 2010 as it aids his game significantly more than it aids Rafa's

I'm amazed that Andy can still be seen as second favourites given the last three 'big' events at Wimbledon. Not certain that Andy's the same player as he was in 2011 Rolling Eyes Also, just because a players always beaten another, doesn't mean to say that will continue

But I'm more amazed that Rafa's last two Wimby's appear to be getting airbrushed out of some people's memories laughing 

Quite confident of a fit Andy Murray winning 2 out of the next 4 Wimby's, at least

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by subhranshu.kumar.5 Wed 09 Oct 2013, 12:21 pm

A match between two brilliant artist of this game will surely be an interesting and heart taking one. While I was watching Wimbledon this year, I was amazed to see the character Murray had shown. He is a bit calm player, who doesnot get furious of losing sets and do counter attack. If we look at Nadal, this man has speed. His racket fires the ball and at the same time he knows the art to stand against the tough opposition, though it is quite humorous watching his defeat against weak opposition.
Again I would love to see Nadal winning.
subhranshu.kumar.5
subhranshu.kumar.5

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Oct 2013, 12:26 pm

Current form would suggest Nadal victory. We'll have to see how Murray plays upon his return to the courts.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 09 Oct 2013, 12:29 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Current form would suggest Nadal victory. We'll have to see how Murray plays upon his return to the courts.
Current form - you mean with one guy lying in bed Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Oct 2013, 12:35 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:Current form would suggest Nadal victory. We'll have to see how Murray plays upon his return to the courts.
Current form - you mean with one guy lying in bed Smile
Well the other is part time so he might have a chance Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 09 Oct 2013, 1:18 pm

subhranshu.kumar.5 wrote: He is a bit calm player, who doesnot get furious of losing sets and do counter attack.
Is he? Just watch the Shanghai 2012 final, second set.

subhranshu.kumar.5 wrote: Again I would love to see Nadal winning.
Fognini let him off the hook in the Beijing match last week. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 09 Oct 2013, 9:50 pm

Banbro

I guess it depends what you mean by hot conditions. My recollection of the 2010 Oz match was that it was played in nice evening conditions. Being as it was in Australia I guess it was still warm but not scorching. Those conditions are perfect for Andy. Very hot day-time Australia conditions would favour Rafa.

In relation to Wimbledon, if Rafa is to play Andy then it will be a SF or final. Consequently, I would expect Rafa to be playing far better than against Darcis. Andy should beat Rafa on grass but he should have done so in 2010 and 2011. Instead he lost easily. Therefore, Rafa is favourite until Andy can prove otherwise. That doesn't mean I think he will definitely win.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 09 Oct 2013, 10:13 pm

Born Slippy wrote: Andy should beat Rafa on grass but he should have done so in 2010 and 2011.
Hug

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Thu 10 Oct 2013, 10:29 am

Born Slippy wrote:

In relation to Wimbledon, if Rafa is to play Andy then it will be a SF or final. Consequently, I would expect Rafa to be playing far better than against Darcis. Andy should beat Rafa on grass but he should have done so in 2010 and 2011. Instead he lost easily. Therefore, Rafa is favourite until Andy can prove otherwise. That doesn't mean I think he will definitely win.
Murray has had in the past a sort of psycological block against Nadal, unlike his h2h v Federer and Djokovic that have been much more even in the last few years. In particular, Murray  often made a tactically weak approach to the matches against the spaniard and in that regard the savvy technical guidance of Ivan lendl should help quite a lot in preparing these more effectively.

Last edited by Jeremy_Kyle on Thu 10 Oct 2013, 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 10 Oct 2013, 11:59 am

Firstly we need to remember that there is a possibility that we will never see the Murray of 2012-summer 2013 again. Back problems rarely go away for good and whilst surgery will hopefully have cleared the problem it's far from guaranteed.

Assuming he does come back as good, then it's a match I can't wait for as both have changed since they last met. Both are more aggressive in their positioning and are closer to the baseline more often. Rafa's FHDTL is better than ever and Murray's forehand is a different shot since the last meeting.

Rafa used to play a lot of nothing balls to the Murray forehand knowing that he wouldn't really do anything with it. That won't happen anymore.

Rafa would have to be favourite when they next meet because he's earned that. But the fact is that we can't read that much into the h2h as both players have changed so much. Rafa occasionally got too deep, doesn't really happen anymore. Murray could only consistently hurt you on one wing. Not the case anymore.

I just hope both are fit and in good form when they next meet, as it would make it a cracker.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Thu 10 Oct 2013, 4:04 pm

I concur Danny, if Murrays surgery will enable him more freedom to move and swing without constantly worrying about his back, then I'd be very wary if I was Nadal or Djokovic.

But backs are backs and are prone to inherent weakness from injury. A lucky dip of predictions concerning his recuperation and future fitness will precipitate the boards I'm sure.

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 10 Oct 2013, 4:16 pm

Rafa would start as the favourite but I see no technical reason why Andy can't cause Rafa the same sort of problems that Novak causes him.

What I'd love to see is Andy smack the ball at him a la Lendl. That would tell me he's not in awe of him any more.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Thu 10 Oct 2013, 11:47 pm

To answer the question of who would win, I'd back Nadal on any surface. But which slam would provide the closest match? I'd guess the AO, but I don't think if they met there in 2014 it'd be close - without trying to make excuses, I don't think Murray will be ready for a battle with Nadal by that time. Hopefully, later in the season, we'll get Murray's best v Nadal's best.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down