The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canastota 2012 - Ballot is out now!

+13
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
manos de piedra
Daz
BALTIMORA
GerardMcL
The genius of PBF
Valero's Conscience
Fists of Fury
Soldier_Of_Fortune
captain carrantuohil
Scottrf
Rowley
oxring
17 posters

Go down

Canastota 2012 - Ballot is out now! Empty Canastota 2012 - Ballot is out now!

Post by oxring Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:34 am

Dan Rafael revealed the list via twitter (reported James Slater on eastside):

Full list here: http://twitpic.com/6up5ya

However - includes:
Curry
Farr
Ceferino Garcia
Hamed
Hearns
Mark Johnson
Cocoa kid
Dariusz Mich...
Sven Ottke
Ken Overlin
Gustave Roth
Wilfredo Vasquez
Hilario Zapata

Who goes in, who misses out?

I'd pick Cocoa Kid to go in - he should be in there already IMO.

From the modern era - as long as Ottke misses out, I'm happy. Dariusz Mich did a lot and was unfairly treated by organisations pandering to RJJ.

Curry really should be in the HoF. Were Hamed to get in and Curry miss out - there would be something quite rotten in the heart of Canastota.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Canastota 2012 - Ballot is out now! Empty Re: Canastota 2012 - Ballot is out now!

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:37 am

Seems a given Hearns will sail in and rightly so, would also say Hamed and Curry are long overdue but would have to think were they going to make it would have happened by now. Will be interesting to see how Dariusz and Sven get on

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Canastota 2012 - Ballot is out now! Empty Re: Canastota 2012 - Ballot is out now!

Post by Scottrf Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:40 am

Hearns is definitely in.
Curry, Cocoa Kid and Hamed are the next in with a shout. If this is the full boxers list they will probably all get in.
Ottke and Darius should just about miss out, although wouldn't be too surprised at the reverse.
I wonder why people get in that have had multiple opportunities before get in other than needing to induct a certain number.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:48 am

Ludicrous that Zapata, for instance, is to be considered, but not Santos Laciar, for example, whose record is much better overall. Amazed that Farr and Roth, good fighters, but clearly miles short of elite, should even be troubling the scorers, so to speak.

Even more interested to see how people vote on Hamed and Curry in our HofF deliberations the week after next. Hearns, of course, has already cracked our more exclusive club!

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:51 am

Apparently Fat Dan is voting for Tommy Hearns, Mark Johnson and Darius M at first glance.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:03 pm

Can someone who is on Twitter pester him to vote for Hamed, for some reason his continued exclusion is annoying me far more than should be the case

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:05 pm

He gets 10 votes. How many can be inducted

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:09 pm

I won't be able to contact Fat Dan on Twitter, we had an argument on there before which resulted in him blocking me. I think he is utterly useless, and a clown of that order should be allowed nowhere near a vote!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:11 pm

Ah, I see that Laciar is on the ballot, alongside men such as Peter Kane. Much better. Rafael is a particularly egregious example of the American boxing commentator who will invariably vote for his own, rather than a better candidate from a different country from around the same weight. Voting for Johnson, but not Kane, Kingpetch or Laciar? Madness. Then again, he selects Michalczewski, which is baffling if you like your candidates to have proven beyond doubt at some stage that they were the number one in their divisions. Perhaps it's less national bias and more the case that Rafael doesn't really know his own posterior from his elbow.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:13 pm

Precisely, Captain, and glad you agree with my sentiments.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:22 pm

Is Kingpetch on there? Was struggling to read his scanned in photo. For someone who is a "renowned boxing writer" you would hope that he could at least use an iphone
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:23 pm

Yeah Kingpetch is just below Cocoa Kid.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:32 pm

There's not a sane person alive who wouldn't put Hearns in so it's two spaces left for the rest.

Personally i'd go for Dariusz Mich and Wilfredo Vasquez.

Perhaps on a different day, Dariusz would lose his place to Hamed.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:34 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:I won't be able to contact Fat Dan on Twitter, we had an argument on there before which resulted in him blocking me. I think he is utterly useless, and a clown of that order should be allowed nowhere near a vote!

Agree with you for once fists he is one bitter fat idiot...Remember him crying because David Haye blocked him off twitter...What was your argument about?

He hates Haye and Floyd Mayweather because he cant get interviews but has a man crush on the Klitschko's because they are stupid enough to talk to him.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by GerardMcL Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:21 pm

Gotta say I would be surprised if Hamed got in.
I don't think he had the titles, reign or status to be considered HoF.
Barrera and Morales will walk in.. but Hamed, not sure.

It will be his flashiness and what ifs that would get him in.

GerardMcL

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:30 pm

More bizarre is the idea that Hearns has only been retired since 2006!

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:31 pm

Gerard the problem is there are any number of Barry McGuigan's or Ingemar Johansen's in there with way less compelling claims than Hamed and still he doesn't make it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:34 pm

Is there a certain number of fighters that are allowing in each year?

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:35 pm

rowley wrote:Gerard the problem is there are any number of Barry McGuigan's or Ingemar Johansen's in there with way less compelling claims than Hamed and still he doesn't make it.

You reckon there's a certain amount of "this is your comeuppance for being so arrogant" about the voting?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:37 pm

Dazstarr wrote:Is there a certain number of fighters that are allowing in each year?
I heard 3 pioneer, 3 old timers, 3 modern. Which considering modern is the only one increasing in size doesn't sound like a great idea.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:37 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
rowley wrote:Gerard the problem is there are any number of Barry McGuigan's or Ingemar Johansen's in there with way less compelling claims than Hamed and still he doesn't make it.

You reckon there's a certain amount of "this is your comeuppance for being so arrogant" about the voting?

James Toney is going to be screwed if that's the case!

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:38 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

James Toney is going to be screwed if that's the case!

You don't think that spite comes into it?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by GerardMcL Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:39 pm

rowley, good point about McGuigan.
I remember reading a Ring edition about two years ago and it was considering modern fighters that would be in the hall of fame.
I think at the time there were only 4 absolute nailed on certs - Barrera, Morales, Tzuyu and Hopkins.
Number of titles, number of weight classes and quality of opponent all came in to play.

McGuigan is in due to the impact he had in Northern Ireland. I'm from the north so I think highly of Barry but a title win and immediate loss should not qualify him for HoF.

GerardMcL

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:39 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Dazstarr wrote:Is there a certain number of fighters that are allowing in each year?
I heard 3 pioneer, 3 old timers, 3 modern. Which considering modern is the only one increasing in size doesn't sound like a great idea.

Cheers Scott - thats sounds a bit bizarre as they will end up eventually putting all the old timers in at some point. Headscratch

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:40 pm

Dazstarr wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Cheers Scott - thats sounds a bit bizarre as they will end up eventually putting all the old timers in at some point. Headscratch
Might not be correct, I haven't checked.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:40 pm

Soon its going to be difficult not to get into the HoF going off some of the names on that list

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:42 pm

Hamed to stay out. The fat useless waste of space feasted on tomato cans for years, beat a couple of half decent fighters (not great ones) and then got humiliated by Barrera who was supposed to be past it. Then became a cry baby and quit the sport.

Have no time for him
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:43 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Hamed to stay out. The fat useless waste of space feasted on tomato cans for years, beat a couple of half decent fighters (not great ones) and then got humiliated by Barrera who was supposed to be past it. Then became a cry baby and quit the sport.

Have no time for him

Jeff will not be happy at that Dee! You have been warned! Haha!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:43 pm

What's the cut off point when modern fighters become old-timers? (I can see Windy pitching a fit right now)

"I think at the time there were only 4 absolute nailed on certs - Barrera, Morales, Tzuyu and Hopkins.
Number of titles, number of weight classes and quality of opponent all came in to play."

You can add Marquez to that list...especially when he beats Manny!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:43 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Hamed to stay out. The fat useless waste of space feasted on tomato cans for years, beat a couple of half decent fighters (not great ones) and then got humiliated by Barrera who was supposed to be past it. Then became a cry baby and quit the sport.

Have no time for him

Glad you added the last line as your first paragraph left your feelings pretty ambiguous.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:47 pm

Hearns Hamed and Curry to get in I reckon

Ottke?? lol now there was protected fighter I do not think he was that good maybe he was unbeaten but he had lots of robberies and didnt fight no one good.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:49 pm

Think I made this point before but as brief as McGuigan's reign was he was a classic world champion in that he beat "the man" am not so sure if Hamed was. Also Ingemar was a classic world champion. I really think in this day and age of multiple trinkets only "classic" world champions should get in. So a cheat like Ottke who hid in Germany while Calzaghe was operating throughout his title "reign" should never get in despite his numbers. Neither should anyone who defended a strap umpteen times but never proved themselves the best. Dariusz Michalczewski should be in there on the basis he was undiputed champ beating Hill and never lost his belts in the ring.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:50 pm

Waingro wrote:Hearns Hamed and Curry to get in I reckon

Ottke?? lol now there was protected fighter I do not think he was that good maybe he was unbeaten but he had lots of robberies and didnt fight no one good.

Anyone.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:53 pm

Super whilst Hamed may not have beaten the "man" at the weight to win his title, if indeed there was one during his reign he went on to beat the WBA, IBF and WBC champion so but for politics was the unified champion and whatever people think of him was undoubtedly and accepted pretty much worldwide as being the number one feather weight in the world for at least a couple of years. Am pretty sure Barry M would struggle to say the same.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:03 pm

Rowley just trying to say that could be what keeps Hamed out for a while. Also, bear in mind his less than decent personality, running people over and being stripped of his MBE - all things that don't help his case.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:07 pm

I personally don't think his personality helps him one bit, suspect this is perhaps the biggest factor in his continued exclusion because if you look solely on his ring exploits his claim is as strong as countless others who are safely in there

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:09 pm

Johansson is a Heavyweight, and McGuigan is in as much for his social impact I expect.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:15 pm

Absurdly, only Primo Carnera, among lineal heavyweight champions, is missing from Canastota. I'm amazed that they decided to draw the line at poor Primo. No evidence of any sort of comparison between fighters. Just Alice in Wonderland - all have won and all shall have prizes.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:16 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Absurdly, only Primo Carnera, among lineal heavyweight champions, is missing from Canastota. I'm amazed that they decided to draw the line at poor Primo. No evidence of any sort of comparison between fighters. Just Alice in Wonderland - all have won and all shall have prizes.

Is Hart in there Captain? Would think Primo is as deserving as Marvin

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:18 pm

Na, Hart's not there.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:19 pm

oxring wrote:Dan Rafael revealed the list via twitter (reported James Slater on eastside):

Full list here: http://twitpic.com/6up5ya

However - includes:
Curry

I'd hate tobe Truss's keyboard when he reads that....
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:22 pm

No, he's not, Jeff. My mistake. I guess I felt that since Hart's claim to the title has been so disputed over the years, that I was omitting him from my calculations. Douglas and Spinks aren't in either, I don't think, so I was a bit off-beam, to say the least. Nevertheless, either Hart or Carnera have as much claim as Braddock, Willard, Sharkey or Johansson, I should think. Which is to say no claim at all.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:23 pm

Does stink doesn't it that you can pretty much do anything at heavyweight and get in and do everything at the lower weights and it's a lottery.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:42 pm

Rowley rowley. Did you not remember the awesome debate (think it was with onetwo, but if I do him a disservice I apologise) back on the beeb - where Audley was proclaimed as greater than Floyd because Audley was bigger?

Clearly - being a fatty equates to a level of greatness that little fellas can't compete with. As such, it should be easier for them to get into the Hall.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:55 pm

oxring wrote:Clearly - being a fatty equates to a level of greatness that little fellas can't compete with. As such, it should be easier for them to get into the Hall.

Dearly hope you're right mate as if so my induction can only be a matter of time.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:47 pm

Clearly - being a fatty equates to a level of greatness that little fellas can't compete with

Trussie must be on his 14th entry by now then

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:49 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
Clearly - being a fatty equates to a level of greatness that little fellas can't compete with

He gets more than that on a Saturday night down the Blue Oyster...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:50 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:

He gets more than that on a Saturday night down the Blue Oyster...
clap

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:50 pm

coxy0001 wrote:

Believe they are called entree's Coxy

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down