The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyson Fury how far do you see him going

+23
J.Benson II
Josiah Maiestas
Herman Frotchlinger
Strongback
eddyfightfan
thebawwse
hogey
Mr Bounce
Seanusarrilius
BALTIMORA
Fists of Fury
bhb001
Bob
Ironmike1984
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
TechInept
AlexHuckerby
sodhat
ShahenshahG
Big Paul
dalynchster1
captain carrantuohil
Nico the gman
27 posters

Go down

Tyson Fury how far do you see him going Empty Tyson Fury how far do you see him going

Post by Nico the gman Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:19 pm

After Tyson Fury's last fight when he was rocked in round 3 how high a level do you see him going.
Personally have nothing against the guy but don't see anything more than British and European contender.
Nothing about him excites me.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Tyson Fury how far do you see him going Empty Re: Tyson Fury how far do you see him going

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:26 pm

With you there. British champion quite likely; European champion a possibility, although I wouldn't want to take short odds about it; any more than fringe contender at world level, even in these talent-starved days, unlikely, I would have thought. Like you, I have no personal animus here, but I don't see anything to terrify a decent opponent. A serviceable jab, but that's about it.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Tyson Fury how far do you see him going Empty Re: Tyson Fury how far do you see him going

Post by dalynchster1 Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:38 pm

Tyson is already British champian and one of Europe's top heavyweights. He has got time on his side and when the brothers retire he could be the next majoy heavyweight force. With his piston like jab, quick combinations of meaningful punches and his granite chin it looks like Mr Fury will be here to stay!!

dalynchster1

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:42 pm

Good point, dalyn - I'd forgotten that he's just won the title! I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on the "quick combinations of meaningful punches", which I haven't really seen yet, and the "granite chin", which looks doubtful, at the very least, to me. Still, a jab is a start.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Paul Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:46 pm

Granite chin? He was rocked last saturday by a bloke not known as a puncher, if a genuine world class heavy landed on him, it'd be lights out.

I'd take David Price to KO him on the domestic scene, never mind a world ranked heavy.

Tyson comes across as a nice guy, but the fact that he's got a Lonsdale belt speaks volumes about the dire state of the domestic HW division.

Big Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:52 pm

Afternoon Gents. I think he he could go to European level and maybe a fringe world champion but he has to get fit. Still carrying a little too much weight - Perhaps a better trainer like Steward. Professional trainers do a world of good in dedication, motivation and sussing out strengths and weaknesses - then working accordingly. Fury isn't a great talent like Calzaghe who can largely train himself with a half decent trainer.

He's got a good jab, height and reasonably fast hands. Send him to steward.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:04 pm

Interesting point, Shah. I often wonder why so many heavyweights - and this is a phenomenon dating back to those grim days after Holmes and before Tyson - are so often out of shape for their fights. Really, it's not uncommon to see them blowing like beached whales after four rounds. Stamina, the ability to fight twelve fast-paced rounds, is becoming an all too rare commodity.

I like your idea. Send him to Steward or any no-nonsense trainer of the first rank. At least then we'll see what he really has, which is currently obscured by his less than perfect physical condition.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:11 pm

I was actually impressed with him against Firtha, when he got the jab going and was applying some pressure.

He looked more than a little vulnerable at times though, and he obviously got caught and rocked. One thing I like and respect about him is that he realises he isn't ready for the big guns yet and he's happy to take some time and gain experience, which is refreshing to me.

One thing to clear up though...is he English, Irish or something else...?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:27 pm

i just class him as a pikey and is on a pikey channel in occordance.
but in all seriousness i think fury has potential. if he can get himself into real quality shape and steward could definately help him with his technical game if he learnt how to defend and other things then i could see him maybe going onto world honours.
but in truth i dont see this happening i dont think he will be much more than arreolas level. better than the domestics and euro level but just lacking in a few areas to allow him to get to that extra level. that said if he continues improving i could maybe see him using his physical assets to beat povetkin. not as talented as povetkin but could beat him due to him being able to manipulate povetkin due to his size and reach and jab. but the guy has to learn what defense means first!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:39 pm

I think its for reassurance, I think usually its a sign of laziness and maybe uncertainty. Weight makes a big difference, but not so much at heavyweight, if you cant move against a big hitter such Klitschko then go home please because dull as they may be, they hit bloody hard and straight. . A heavyweight should be able to complete 15 rounds of tough sparring before he is pronounced fit and raring to go. Much like the early Naz. Intense sparring and 17 round sessions. Probably why it looked so effortless for him. Same with Tyson.

For the most part though , I think is this lazy assumption that they have to lose weight for the fight, rather than living the life of an athlete, because there is no upper limit, they come in an spend a large part of their training camp losing weight like Hatton, blowing up between fights. Thing is, with lighter weight fighters - every pound extra is noticeable and they for the most part do something about it - with a heavy he looks more or less the same until hes piled on 10-12, then just waits until his next training camp to do anything about it. A little daily jogging wouldn't go amiss.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TechInept Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

I can't see him getting past Europe champion if he continues as he is. Sometimes you see moments of class but it's few and far between. I'd definitely like to see him against price.

TechInept

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 24 Sep 2011, 2:07 pm

I think he needs a new trainer someone who isn't related to him.

He is improving he has looked better in his last 2 fights and he's only 22. The tools are their he just needs to learn how to use them. He has a very good jab and pretty fast hands for a guy so big.

The fact he got rocked wouldn't concern me if I trained him it would be his reaction to getting rocked. He charged forward and was reckless. A better heavyweight than Firtha would have exposed that and stopped him.

He seems a pretty bright guy he knows he isn't World class yet and he knows what he needs to improve on. To many young fighters don't acknowledge their mistakes and keep making them. Then they get exposed at the top level.

If he keeps improving and gets himself into better shape I can see him becoming a World champion.

As for Pryce he was a good amateur but Fury has proved himself against better opposition in the pro's so my money would be on Fury if they do indeed fight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 24 Sep 2011, 2:12 pm

price is interesting i think he could go far but still massive question marks over his chin. his overall game looked awesome against dallas. shot selection, strong jab, good movement and looked very solid defensively. it would be sods law if he got all the way to a klit the whole of england behind him and then his chin gets found out.
he has far more potential than fury in my opinion.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 24 Sep 2011, 2:27 pm

Pryce is 28 not sure how much improving he's got in him. Fury is 22 he's got a lot of maturing to do I like the way he recognises it and knows he need to learn.

He is keeping active as well he's going to be fighting again in November and possibly December. He's in the ring learning Pryce isn't as active. They've both been pro about the same length of time and Fury has had 5 more fights. Hennessy can get Fury more fights because he can put a card on Channel 5 whenever he likes. Price has to wait on Maloney getting a date from Sky then he can fight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 24 Sep 2011, 3:29 pm

still on raw talent price is miles better than fury. when they both turned pro fury was the one in dyer need of improvement, no doubt he is catching up but price is so far more technically advanced.
he may be 28 but that doesnt matter too much hes still young in his pro career which means he will still improve, in the heavyweight game especially. it also means he may just hit his prime a bit later, he will improve though i do agree he needs to be more active. for me he is a better prospect than fury but i think he could run into chin problems.
fury is completely clueless about a lot of fundamentals but to be fair though he has time to work on things and its actually refreshing to hear a boxer speak honestly about his capabilities.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Tyson Fury how far do you see him going Empty Tyson fury

Post by Ironmike1984 Sat 24 Sep 2011, 7:25 pm

Reminds me of another Frank Bruno

Ironmike1984

Back to top Go down

Post by dalynchster1 Sat 24 Sep 2011, 7:34 pm

But Tyson has quicker hands, better chin and if he had Franks power he would be a world beater.

Potential fighter of the decade!!

dalynchster1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sat 24 Sep 2011, 7:45 pm

dalynchster1 wrote:But Tyson has quicker hands, better chin and if he had Franks power he would be a world beater.

Potential fighter of the decade!!

laughing

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Sat 24 Sep 2011, 8:04 pm

A bit over stated, I'd say. I haven't seen anything that says world beater yet.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 24 Sep 2011, 8:12 pm

A much improved jab, stack loads of heart, but I wouldn't get carried away just yet. I was very impressed with him vs Firtha, but let's not forget that Firtha had him in trouble at one point, and Tyson can't afford such mistakes against a higher level of opposition.

Needs work defensively, and needs to get himself in tip top condition if he is to improve sufficiently in order to be able to up his level.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 24 Sep 2011, 8:25 pm

How far can Fury go? Depends how successful the council eviction attempts are.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 25 Sep 2011, 12:40 am

BALTIMORA wrote:How far can Fury go? Depends how successful the council eviction attempts are.

Quality.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 25 Sep 2011, 4:21 am

Fists of Fury wrote:A much improved jab, stack loads of heart, but I wouldn't get carried away just yet. I was very impressed with him vs Firtha, but let's not forget that Firtha had him in trouble at one point, and Tyson can't afford such mistakes against a higher level of opposition.

Needs work defensively, and needs to get himself in tip top condition if he is to improve sufficiently in order to be able to up his level.

Totally agree, first thing i saw was the imp[roved jab,he snapped it and held his opponent at bay with it, but, it was a worry when he was rocked in the third. My next sentence would be 'a good heavy is going to take him apart' but there arnt any, seriously, bar the Klits who the heck is there?? Povetkin is small and although technically gifted can'tpunch.Helenius would be at him but there are so many turkeys in the heavyweight division i say Fury (if well matched) is good enough for a world title challenge. I mean, throw 50 pounds on me (i'm 5:9 and 150 pounds) and i'm good enough fora run at the HW title

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 25 Sep 2011, 4:22 am

ok i am a wet blanket, but still... you get my point

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 25 Sep 2011, 9:25 am

The only thing that Fury has on his side appears to be size. His jab is ok, but his defence is non existant and his one-punch power is poor for someone his size. I don't have too many concerns about his chin - he has been hurt before but he has held on and appears to recuperate fairly well.

How far can he go? It depends how badly his future opponents prepare. Chisora was a disgrace coming in at 261lbs for their fight. Price beats him up if they fight IMO. He's Euro level at best - Dimitrenko destroys him and he's not that good!

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sun 25 Sep 2011, 10:47 am

I dont think he will go much further than he has, seems quite easy to hit and will come unstuck sooner rather than later. I think Price will KO him very quickly if they meet.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebawwse Sun 25 Sep 2011, 12:23 pm

chubba chubs will find his level very soon, of that I am sure!

thebawwse

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 25 Sep 2011, 1:19 pm

fury is very promising. he has a good cv for someone so young and relativily new (mccdermott x2, chisora, firtha), he is losing the weight very quickly and improving at a good rate. he seemed to learn to use jab to good affect, which for a 6'9" 18st fighter is a very usefull tool. he's been hit clean a few times and has never been on the floor, so his chin isn bad either. he needs to take care of perez and price on the domestic scene and then push for a euro belt. i think he is still working with manny stewart, which is another bonus. i think he will hold a title one day, and give him 2-3 years i think he will be a forced to be reconed with. likeable guy as well, and very active, which is nice to see, channel 5 should stick with him and they might just hit a gold mine.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 25 Sep 2011, 3:00 pm

After watching Dimitrenko v Sprott last night for the euro belt I reckon Fury would beat Dimitrenko who to me looks very limited.

Fury's strengths are size, chin, stamina and heart. He has loads of faults but is improving quickly and I reckon he is made of the right stuff. He has been rocked alright but he doesn't lose his senses and recovers very quickly. His chin is very good in my opinion.

Take the K brothers out of the equation in two years time and I think Fury gives any of the rest a great fight. The thing with Fury is he's a natural fighter and there aren't too many of those around in the HW division at the moment.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Frotchlinger Sun 25 Sep 2011, 3:05 pm

That's right strongy, he's got heart which you just can't teach. Would love to see him in with Haye quite soon. Reckon he batters Haye.

Herman Frotchlinger

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 25 Sep 2011, 3:08 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:fury is very promising. he has a good cv for someone so young and relativily new (mccdermott x2, chisora, firtha), he is losing the weight very quickly and improving at a good rate. he seemed to learn to use jab to good affect, which for a 6'9" 18st fighter is a very usefull tool. he's been hit clean a few times and has never been on the floor, so his chin isn bad either. he needs to take care of perez and price on the domestic scene and then push for a euro belt. i think he is still working with manny stewart, which is another bonus. i think he will hold a title one day, and give him 2-3 years i think he will be a forced to be reconed with. likeable guy as well, and very active, which is nice to see, channel 5 should stick with him and they might just hit a gold mine.

Problem is, he is only working a bit with steward and the rest of the time he is being trained by his uncle. For professional ranks, get a professional to train you. I know Calzaghe is an exception but Calzaghe showed steady improvement - Fury seems to be hit and miss.

Herman - pull the other one.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 25 Sep 2011, 3:09 pm

He beat Chisora who is a very decent fighter himself, Fury will be a tough opponent for anyone not named Klitschko.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 25 Sep 2011, 4:02 pm

Herman Frotchlinger wrote:That's right strongy, he's got heart which you just can't teach. Would love to see him in with Haye quite soon. Reckon he batters Haye.

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing
Not had a laugh like that in a while!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 25 Sep 2011, 4:13 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Herman Frotchlinger wrote:That's right strongy, he's got heart which you just can't teach. Would love to see him in with Haye quite soon. Reckon he batters Haye.

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Think he means this one: http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=581505&cat=boxer

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 25 Sep 2011, 4:17 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

Think he means this one: http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=581505&cat=boxer

Seems more like a Fury-like opponent.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Sun 25 Sep 2011, 5:34 pm

I think Fury will be a world contender in a few years time....he might even pick up an alphabet title in the post-Klitschko era.
However, I can imagine him suffering numerous setback and finishing his career with multiple losses on his record since he does have glaring flaws in his game which will get exposed by better opposition.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 26 Sep 2011, 9:52 am

The way he has progressed over his last few fights I would say he'd pick up a world title.

3-4 fights ago I thought he was just a very big and fat guy that tried to throw combinations in close and not use any of the advantages he was born with.

Against Chisora I felt he did show a lot of heart but was still not using his natural ability.

Last fight however made me think he does have a real chance. He seems to have learned to jab! He does have some nice little combinations up close which is good if he gets rushed (but the jab / overhand right should be his main weapons).

If he can improve his defense over the next three or four fights in the same way he has improved his jab then I think he'll get there. Takes too many chances at the moment but I have been impressed with his improvement recently.

Starting to actually warm to him as well, seems like a nice enough guy.

Also, other than the Klit's there isn't really anyone out there at heavy.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Mon 26 Sep 2011, 4:49 pm

In his last fight he still weighed 6lbs MORE than he did in his first fight against mcdermott.

i like fury, i think he's got a great personality and natural gifts, but he doesnt have the lifestyle of an athlete, so he lacks dedication.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Mon 26 Sep 2011, 11:10 pm

He is tough and very motivated has a decent Jab, good size and reach, not bad power and quite quick for his size...

All this leads to him being a probably a threat at European level while there is not allot out there to threaten.

but the bottom line is he is not a good enough athlete to take on either of the Ks or any other athletic heavy weight.

There are too many Heavy Weights who think they can be world beaters while throwing back too many Kebbabs..

David Haye knows that being an Athlete is vital if you want to be the best. and to be honest that's what got him where he was, his boxing is pretty average I think he was just so much fitter and quicker than his opponents.

I will add though, Fury is only 22, I guess you cant ignore that fact...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 27 Sep 2011, 8:01 am

tunes666 wrote:All this leads to him being a probably a threat at European level while there is not allot out there to threaten.

but the bottom line is he is not a good enough athlete to take on either of the Ks or any other athletic heavy weight.

I think the above is a reasonable summary of Tyson's chances. Would I like to see him do better? Yes. Can I see it happening? No. Does he deserve it at the present level of dedication? No But as people have said, at 22, he has many years ahead of him so good look and I will be following his career.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:47 am

bhb001 wrote:
tunes666 wrote:All this leads to him being a probably a threat at European level while there is not allot out there to threaten.

I think the above is a reasonable summary of Tyson's chances. Would I like to see him do better? Yes. Can I see it happening? No. Does he deserve it at the present level of dedication? No But as people have said, at 22, he has many years ahead of him so good look and I will be following his career.

Thing is though who else is out there after the K's?

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 27 Sep 2011, 1:23 pm

haye, povetkin, adamek, helenius, striverne, perez, arreola, price are all quality world or future world level boxers

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue 27 Sep 2011, 1:29 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:haye, povetkin, adamek, helenius, striverne, perez, arreola, price are all quality world or future world level boxers

Haye is probably retired and I could see Fury in the mix with these guys over the next couple of years.

The improvement he has made recently if continued and with his age I would expect him to be able to at least compete at this level.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 27 Sep 2011, 2:14 pm

definetly, if he continues to improve at the rate he has over his last 2 fights then i seen him beating most of the above in a few years. however i expect his improvement will level out at some point, so who knows. i'll definetly be watching him on the way though as he is a good fighter to watch.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:21 pm

Firtha took Povetkin the distance. Fury stopped him in 4*.

Worry I have is that he'll be tempted to move to quick. Whilst he could make the European step now - he is 22. There is no need to rush - and whilst he'd beat some of the fighters at Euro level - there is no guarantee that he'd beat too many and he'd pick up unnecessary losses - where he could gain better experience elsewhere.

His defence has tightened - but still needs to be tighter. His footwork is better but needs to be much better. His accuracy is worse - and needs work. His fitness...well. Enough said on that.

*5. apologies

Last edited by oxring on Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Inaccuracy.)
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:36 pm

Fury gets slagged off for his fittness a lot but the guy has great stamina.

He has a very good engine compared to pretty much all the HW's out there except the K's who are easily able to fight for 12 rounds.

When the questions were asked of fury agaist McDerrmot and Chirosa he didn't blow up like a beached whale like many of the HW's out there. Fury dug deep and kept fighting.

Of course Fury could be in much better shape but he is a man that can fight for 12 rounds and has an engine he can rely on.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:10 pm

i think fury is the type of fighter who a loss could turn out to be a good thing for him. he is improving but that would give him the kick up the backside to really take it seriously and attempt to become a "athlete" as opposed to a fit big guy.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down