The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray ditches Gallagher

+7
TRUSSMAN66
Super D Boon
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Scottrf
Valero's Conscience
Daz
11 posters

Go down

Murray ditches Gallagher Empty Murray ditches Gallagher

Post by Daz Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:19 am

Just read this on Sky Sports:

John Murray has parted company with long-time trainer Joe Gallagher after his first professional defeat against Kevin Mitchell.

Murray's hopes of landing a world title shot were shattered after he was halted by Mitchell in the eighth round and the Mancunian admits he was unhappy with preparations for this crucial clash.

The 26-year-old has worked with Gallagher for his entire paid career, but has now decided to link up with Mike Marsden, who trains Stuart Hall and Paul Truscott.

"I'm thankful to Joe for all his hard graft," Murray told boxingscene.com. "I wasn't as happy as I could have been with the training for my last fight.

"The time has come for me to move on. Joe's put a lot of effort into me, I'm grateful but boxing's a short career for a fighter so I have to make the most of my time in the sport.

"Joe and the lads at Gallagher's Gym will have a great future - I wish them well."

Gallagher used his Twitter account to express his dismay about the split.

He wrote: "Despite reports regards John Murray I have had no calls , conversations with him just one text and am still waiting to be paid by him."

Oh dear - sounds like it wasnt amicable then. Is this a bad move by Murray? I think so. 1 loss doesnt necessarily mean you need to change trainer. Bit disappointed really.

Thoughts?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12183_7192548,00.html

Daz

Back to top Go down

Murray ditches Gallagher Empty Re: Murray ditches Gallagher

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:40 am

Poor from Murray if he hasn't paid him yet.

Probably sour grapes from Murray but could be making of him like Khan when he sacked his coaches after the Prescott fight albeit I doubt Murray will get a Roach-like trainer.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:45 am

Yeah I agree - Murray is Euro level at best. I think he has made a mistake here. Gallagher fighters work very hard in training by all accounts.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:47 am

There were reports of Murray out on the lash in the weeks leading up to the fight, probably looking to blame someone else.

That said, everyone falls out with Gallagher.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:51 am

Scottrf wrote:There were reports of Murray out on the lash in the weeks leading up to the fight, probably looking to blame someone else.

That said, everyone falls out with Gallagher.

Didnt know that. Looks like Murray has only himself to blame.

With regard to people falling out with Gallagher - why what else has happened?

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:58 am

Didn't you hear about his fall out with Kayes a while back and Gallagher being chucked out of the gym? May have exaggerated though, can't think of others at the moment.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:05 pm

Yeah i did - thought you meant his fighters.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:05 pm

Dazstarr wrote:Yeah i did - thought you meant his fighters.
I did, but then I couldn't think of any!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:11 pm

Laugh

Let me know when you do! Haha!

Cheers!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:20 pm

I think Gallagher is overrated!

He's had a few of his fighters beaten recently!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:23 pm

That's true. They all seem to have hit the peak.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:31 pm

Murray found his level he's Euro level at best that's not Gallachers fault.

Macklin didn't deserve to lose in Germany that's not Joe's fault either.

Stephen Smith had it coming he can box but neglects it hopefully he has learned a lesson.

To many fighters do this now. They lose and can't admit there own shortcomings so they switch trainers.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 22 Sep 2011, 2:21 pm

Well put mate.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2011, 2:37 pm

Can't really see where Murray can be accused of sour grapes here. He said that Gallgher had put in a lot of work but whilst John wasn't as happy as he could have been, he thanks Joe for all his efforts over the years.

This is no different to Hatton dumping Billy Graham after his loss to Mayweather.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 22 Sep 2011, 3:43 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Can't really see where Murray can be accused of sour grapes here. He said that Gallgher had put in a lot of work but whilst John wasn't as happy as he could have been, he thanks Joe for all his efforts over the years.

This is no different to Hatton dumping Billy Graham after his loss to Mayweather.
Sending him a text to let him know after being together for years?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 22 Sep 2011, 3:46 pm

There has to be more to it surely. That's pretty harsh by Murray.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 22 Sep 2011, 4:26 pm

Euro level slugger found out by sub world level boxer blames trainer. Nothing to see here.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2011, 4:38 pm

Scottrf wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Can't really see where Murray can be accused of sour grapes here. He said that Gallgher had put in a lot of work but whilst John wasn't as happy as he could have been, he thanks Joe for all his efforts over the years.

Sending him a text to let him know after being together for years?
So Gallagher says he's only had a text (which there's no sign of) and we're expected to believe him over Murray who's actually given a statement to the press?

I suppose you believed Blair when he said Saddam had WMD's ready to launch at the drop of a hat

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 22 Sep 2011, 5:34 pm

"Joe and the lads will have a great future"

More than he will...Bruising battering he took..and I'm afraid he was exposed...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 22 Sep 2011, 5:38 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Murray found his level he's Euro level at best that's not Gallachers fault.

Stephen Smith had it coming he can box but neglects it hopefully he has learned a lesson.

To many fighters do this now. They lose and can't admit there own shortcomings so they switch trainers.

I dont think Macklin got his tactics right in Germany, he threw far to many punches in the early rounds and wasnt able to replicate as the fight went on. If he had won the earlier rounds with a little less effort, he might of had something in the tank for the Championship rounds and made the fight a formality.

He was a little be reckless and paid the price.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 22 Sep 2011, 5:44 pm

macklin was robbed blind. i respected sturm as he was quick to offer the rematch. i since heard that sturm said he wanted 40% of macklins future earnings should he win. scandalous

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 22 Sep 2011, 5:47 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Murray found his level he's Euro level at best that's not Gallachers fault.

I dont think Macklin got his tactics right in Germany, he threw far to many punches in the early rounds and wasnt able to replicate as the fight went on. If he had won the earlier rounds with a little less effort, he might of had something in the tank for the Championship rounds and made the fight a formality.

He was a little be reckless and paid the price.

He should have won the fight Sturm got a home town decision something we see to much of in the sport for my liking.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 22 Sep 2011, 5:48 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:macklin was robbed blind. i respected sturm as he was quick to offer the rematch. i since heard that sturm said he wanted 40% of macklins future earnings should he win. scandalous

Thats shocking! What an idiot.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2011, 5:49 pm

Macklin's tactics were spot on that night.

the problem was that he HAD to put all that effort in to be seen to be winning the rounds on the Champ's home turf. Unfortunately, in the later rounds, he allowed Sturm to create room get his shots off as opposed to sitting on his chest and stifling him, but it was Macklin's fitness which allowed him to stay the distance.

His corner should have told him to take that half step further forward and get inside Sturm's guard where Felix wasn't as effective. I don't know if they failed to advise him or if Macklin just didn't listen.

I don't think Matt'll be as competitive this time round, I believe Sturm will know he has to keep Macklin at range and will do that effectively in the rematch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 22 Sep 2011, 5:50 pm

Think i'd have to back Sturm second time round. For me I look at the first and think who has it within themselves to perform better next time round and it simply has to be Sturm for me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 22 Sep 2011, 5:52 pm

Eddy- That's not true. Macklin signed with Lou Di Bella who felt it would be better for Macklin to make a name for himself in the U.S as the Sturm fight would always be there. Think Di Bella wants him to fight Andy Lee.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 22 Sep 2011, 6:56 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Macklin's tactics were spot on that night.

the problem was that he HAD to put all that effort in to be seen to be winning the rounds on the Champ's home turf. Unfortunately, in the later rounds, he allowed Sturm to create room get his shots off as opposed to sitting on his chest and stifling him, but it was Macklin's fitness which allowed him to stay the distance.

His corner should have told him to take that half step further forward and get inside Sturm's guard where Felix wasn't as effective. I don't know if they failed to advise him or if Macklin just didn't listen.

I don't think Matt'll be as competitive this time round, I believe Sturm will know he has to keep Macklin at range and will do that effectively in the rematch.

He was too enthusiastic, think he was out throwing sturm 3/1 in the early rounds. Surely if he would have do it let say 2/1, that would have been enough of a stamp on the round. He then might have a little more left in the tank and his punches might had that little extra snap which they lost as the fight progressed?

I do believe he had the right idea but just not the right application. I did he him winning but was never going to get the close decision there. But it wasn't a robbery has people have been saying on here

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 22 Sep 2011, 7:25 pm

not a robbery perse but most believe macklin won including the whole german press who had macklin winning. would say that sturm was luckier to get the decision than macklin would have been.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by whotobeA Thu 22 Sep 2011, 8:30 pm

Only got good things to say about Mick Marsden seeing as its the gym i use. I think he's done well with Stu Hall who may be a bit limited but looks like he'll comeback to do decent things after Mcdonnell. Its a great old style spit box type gym & one thing Murray will do is be made to work very very hard. I hope Mick can push him onto the big stage again.

whotobeA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down