The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joe Gallagher

+10
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Pedro147
Baby faced assassin
Jermaine2015
Hammersmith harrier
hazharrison
milkyboy
AdamT
TRUSSMAN66
Rodney
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Joe Gallagher Empty Joe Gallagher

Post by Rodney Tue 16 Feb 2016, 8:42 am

Becoming a bit of a be11end isn't he ? Beginning to think he's the oracle of boxing.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Joe Gallagher Empty Re: Joe Gallagher

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 8:59 am

I like him....Come up the hard way...Successful....Unflinchingly loyal to his fighters and every reason to be proud of his Ring trainer of the year award....Is it three or four world champions ??

Gets a lot of crap...I don't know why....

Success can only be good for British boxing...

Rather have over opinionated than PC Joshua types..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 16 Feb 2016, 9:02 am

I agree to a certain degree Truss, however he's becoming one of these trainers who talks as though he's actually doing the fighting. Seems to get peeved off if some other trainer is getting a little bit more limelight than him.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 16 Feb 2016, 9:06 am

He is a fantastic trainer. Not a lover of the guy, but don't dislike him either.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 9:06 am

We see what we see Rod...And it's all fairplay. .

Perhaps his close links to Eddie is another reason for your lack of warmth towards him..??.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 16 Feb 2016, 9:08 am

I don't even dislike Hearn. He is just your standard, stereotypical, money grabbing promoter. They are nearly all the same.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 16 Feb 2016, 10:28 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I like him....Come up the hard way...Successful....Unflinchingly loyal to his fighters and every reason to be proud of his Ring trainer of the year award....Is it three or four alphabet belt holder's who've barely beaten a guy with a pulse between them ??

fixed that for you,

I find him a bit too fond of the attention, personally, but it's a results business and he's got them so fair play to the guy

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 16 Feb 2016, 12:26 pm

His personality is beginning to grate - I agree Rodney. He plays the old Mourinho game of publicly winding the opponent up while his fighter remains out of all the hoopla but I'm not sure he's terribly popular outside of his own gym - seems a bit of a whopper.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 16 Feb 2016, 12:31 pm

Anyway it will not matter. Frampton is taking this fight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 16 Feb 2016, 12:33 pm

AdamT wrote:Anyway it will not matter. Frampton is taking this fight.

He's pulled out of today's presser with a cold - must be bad if he can't speak.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 16 Feb 2016, 12:34 pm

I think they are nervous. Carl is a class above and it will show fight night.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 16 Feb 2016, 12:34 pm

hazharrison wrote:

Oh feck !! Please do not pull out now , accommodation, transport all sorted.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 16 Feb 2016, 12:36 pm

Rodney wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Oh feck !! Please do not pull out now , accommodation, transport all sorted.

Cheers, Rodders

Maybe he's just bored of talking. Nigel Benn used to always pull out of these things - used to drive Warren mad!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 16 Feb 2016, 12:37 pm

Just so I clarify. Who has pulled out??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 16 Feb 2016, 12:37 pm

He does well by his fighters so that's all that really matters.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 16 Feb 2016, 12:38 pm

AdamT wrote:Just so I clarify. Who has pulled out??

Frampton.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 16 Feb 2016, 12:39 pm

Oh right!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 16 Feb 2016, 12:48 pm

I'm a huge Carl fan, but I don't like the jibe he made about Scotts intelligence outside the ring. I understand they are trying to play mind games, but it is a low blow in my opinion.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 16 Feb 2016, 12:51 pm

AdamT wrote:I'm a huge Carl fan, but I don't like the jibe he made about Scotts intelligence outside the ring. I understand they are trying to play mind games, but it is a low blow in my opinion.

I wish fights could be promoted differently. They're both lovely lads - we don't need it.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 16 Feb 2016, 12:58 pm

Agree with that.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 1:05 pm

milkyboy wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I like him....Come up the hard way...Successful....Unflinchingly loyal to his fighters and every reason to be proud of his Ring trainer of the year award....Is it three or four alphabet belt holder's who've barely beaten a guy with a pulse between them ??

fixed that for you,

I find him a bit too fond of the attention, personally,  but it's a results business and he's got them so fair play to the guy

Thank you..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 16 Feb 2016, 1:11 pm

hazharrison wrote:
AdamT wrote:I'm a huge Carl fan, but I don't like the jibe he made about Scotts intelligence outside the ring. I understand they are trying to play mind games, but it is a low blow in my opinion.

I wish fights could be promoted differently. They're both lovely lads - we don't need it.

Agreed, however Sky/Promoters  are not daft - they seen how well PPV Groves/Froch and Joshua/Whyte sold with animosity between the fighters - they push for the whole bad feeling between the fighters to sell.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 16 Feb 2016, 1:15 pm

Rodney wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Agreed, however Sky/Promoters  are not daft - they seen how well PPV Groves/Froch and Joshua/Whyte sold with animosity between the fighters - they push for the whole bad feeling between the fighters to sell.

Cheers, Rodders

The Coyle vs Campbell episode was the most ridiculous.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 1:18 pm

Boxing has always been showbusiness....

You know that Rod....

Not a fan of Hearn myself either...But he's just playing the game..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 1:37 pm

Bang average trainer who thinks he's some sort of ATG. His stable is full of average European level boxer. Most whom get gifted titles

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 16 Feb 2016, 1:38 pm

How do you gather he's an average trainer, if he's taking average European level boxers to world titles he must be doing something right?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 1:39 pm

What's average ??...Then we can agree or disagree with you..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 1:41 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:What's average ??...Then we can agree or disagree with you..
Crolla
Smith
Quigg

Take your pick

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 16 Feb 2016, 1:43 pm

Callum Smith isn't average nor is Scott Quigg, Crolla has made the most of a limited skillset helped by Gallagher so I don't really see your point. Liam Smith it has to be said has been gifted a weak.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 1:45 pm

You haven't told me how he's an average trainer...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 1:45 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Callum Smith isn't average nor is Scott Quigg, Crolla has made the most of a limited skillset helped by Gallagher so I don't really see your point. Liam Smith it has to be said has been gifted a weak.
Quigg is a bum. He's faced a lot of bums and is walking around with a title stripped of the divisional champion

Paul Smith, Liam Smith both stiffs.

Callum Smith isn't anything special

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 16 Feb 2016, 1:48 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Callum Smith isn't average nor is Scott Quigg, Crolla has made the most of a limited skillset helped by Gallagher so I don't really see your point. Liam Smith it has to be said has been gifted a weak.
Quigg is a bum. He's faced a lot of bums and is walking around with a title stripped of the divisional champion

So you're unable to forumalate an actual argument then because Scott Quigg is not a bum and to point out that Frampton is walking around with a title stripped from then divisional champion Nonito Donaire. The Smith brothers are also not stiffs, good honest European level fighters, using your logic there's only a handful of boxers who aren't either a bum or stiff.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:02 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
Jermaine2015 wrote:

So you're unable to forumalate an actual argument then because Scott Quigg is not a bum and to point out that Frampton is walking around with a title stripped from then divisional champion Nonito Donaire. The Smith brothers are also not stiffs, good honest European level fighters, using your logic there's only a handful of boxers who aren't either a bum or stiff.

You mean the title Donaire vacated because he didn't know want to fight his then mandatory Johnaton Romero? Whom was subsequently for beat by Kiko Martinez. Whom was subsequently beaten by Carl Frampton.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:04 pm

The title he was stripped of for facing Nishioka, you can play the fake title game with pretty much every champion out there, ultimately the titles Frampton and Quigg hold were not won against the best opposition.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:18 pm

Don't particularly like him but he's a good trainer and consistently one of the best in England

He's always seemed to have the who's who of fighters and for every Murray where they've been exposed he's had a crolla who has become a world champion when he once looked domestic level

He's never had a fighter you'd call a natural talent so what he's done has to be given some credit
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:21 pm

All his top fighters have natural talent...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:26 pm

Maybe that was the wrong phrase

But none of them have great physical 'gifts'. Like he's never had someone with blurring handspeed or electric hand speed and hasn't really anyone who's a big one punch guy
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:35 pm

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/joe-gallagher-shane-mcguigan-is-embarrassing-himself/

Joe Gallagher: ‘Shane McGuigan is embarrassing himself’

As if Scott Quigg’s clash with Carl Frampton wasn’t fascinating enough, the battle between the rival corners adds a further layer of intrigue. In a Boxing News article yesterday (which you can read HERE), Shane McGuigan, Frampton’s trainer, said that coach Joe Gallagher and Scott hadn’t gelled as well, that Quigg had benefited more from sparring gymmates Anthony Crolla and Stephen Smith than from Gallagher’s advice and sought confidence from American trainer Freddie Roach.

Quigg’s coach responded: “It’s a big stage and a big show and he’s getting a little bit giddy and a bit excited. He thinks he’s doing well trying to do mind games and that, he’s embarrassing himself.”

“He’s only just arrived on the scene. He was known a few years ago as a nutritionist,” Gallagher said. “Next thing we know he’s in Boxing News saying, ‘I was there with Carl Frampton all along’, trying to take the limelight away from Gerry Storey.”

“Shane McGuigan did an Alex Ariza – got in there, got in the corner and tried to make himself more important,” Gallagher added. “He’s only been on the scene two minutes, I’ve never seen him produce an amateur kid yet in a national championships, I’ve never seen him take a kid from scratch and bring him through yet.”

McGuigan has had a successful coaching career, as well as guiding Frampton to the IBF super-bantamweight crown British stars David Haye and George Groves have taken him on as their trainer. But Gallagher said, “He’s got them [Haye and Groves] and what have they done? They’ve had two fights against two mediocre, lower standard of opposition. So they’re untested.”

He continued, “To turn round and start having a go at me, saying he [Quigg] goes to Freddie Roach for confidence. I’m there when we go to Freddie Roach, we’re going to learn, we’re going sparring. Along the way Freddie gives words of advice, he can’t stop learning.

“They say, ‘He hasn’t improved with Joe Gallagher. He only improves from sparring Crolla and Stephen Smith.’ He hardly spars Crolla and Stephen Smith for a start… I find it hilarious, they’re not really putting their brain into gear before they talk, they’re just rattling away like a jar of broken biscuits.”

Joe is adamant that his man has the better track record, saying, “Everyone that he’s beat, we beat better and we have beaten better opposition. He beat Kiko Martinez in round nine, alright, we beat him in round two. He beat [Chris] Avalos, we creased him in the Wild Card with body shots [in sparring]. He beat a fat little Mexican that came over that was over the hill [presumably Hugo Cazares].”

Gallagher has also dismissed suggestions that Frampton will be the more popular fighter on the night at the Manchester Arena. “Scott Quigg is the home fighter, he’s in the home corner and everything else is just normal,” Joe said. “They’re trying to kid themselves that everybody’s against Scott Quigg. They’re going to be surprised at how many people are going to be there for Scott Quigg and what it feels like for Carl Frampton to be booed coming down the ramp.

“They’re not in control and they like being in control. This is why they’re going to be out of their depth come February 27.”

The fight behind the fight will be just as furiously contested.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:38 pm

Shane's Dad had an ego bigger than Ireland.....Could be a chip off the old block..

Like I said Gallagher came up the hard way..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:55 pm

Yer he really molded Paul Smith who was with Billy Graham (as was Macklin) and George Vaughan too. Crolla who was with Farnell and you never heard Brian Hughes get mentioned when he's talking about Quigg. Oh and Callum Smith, who was under the tutelage of Rob McCracken as was Stephen Smith.

Came up the hard way and molded his fighters Joe did.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:56 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Yer he really molded Paul Smith who was with Billy Graham (as was Macklin) and George Vaughan too. Crolla who was with Farnell and you never heard Brian Hughes get mentioned when he's talking about Quigg. Oh and Callum Smith, who was under the tutelage of Rob McCracken as was Stephen Smith.

Lol!!

Truss got owned.

Great work Fortune.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:59 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Yer he really molded Paul Smith who was with Billy Graham (as was Macklin) and George Vaughan too. Crolla who was with Farnell and you never heard Brian Hughes get mentioned when he's talking about Quigg. Oh and Callum Smith, who was under the tutelage of Rob McCracken as was Stephen Smith.

All of whom improved markedly since hooking up with Gallagher I would say.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 16 Feb 2016, 3:01 pm

shenglong2015 wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Yer he really molded Paul Smith who was with Billy Graham (as was Macklin) and George Vaughan too. Crolla who was with Farnell and you never heard Brian Hughes get mentioned when he's talking about Quigg. Oh and Callum Smith, who was under the tutelage of Rob McCracken as was Stephen Smith..

Lol!!

Truss got owned.

Great work Fortune.

Rolling Eyes Yep I got owned....... Rolling Eyes

Remember when I was ten.. Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 16 Feb 2016, 3:02 pm

Rolling Eyes Not really.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 16 Feb 2016, 3:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
shenglong2015 wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Yer he really molded Paul Smith who was with Billy Graham (as was Macklin) and George Vaughan too. Crolla who was with Farnell and you never heard Brian Hughes get mentioned when he's talking about Quigg. Oh and Callum Smith, who was under the tutelage of Rob McCracken as was Stephen Smith..

Lol!!

Truss got owned.

Great work Fortune.

Rolling Eyes  Yep I got owned....... Rolling Eyes

Remember when I was ten.. Cool

Being fair you did.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 16 Feb 2016, 3:07 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:

Rolling Eyes Not really.

They all have though haven't they, all of them produced their best performances under the tutelage of Gallagher.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 16 Feb 2016, 3:09 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:

Rolling Eyes Not really.

They all have though haven't they, all of them produced their best performances under the tutelage of Gallagher.

Yer, sure Callum and Quigg would have hung up the gloves if it wern't for Joe.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 16 Feb 2016, 3:10 pm

That is of course exactly what i'm saying, not over the Fielding fight yet then I see.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 16 Feb 2016, 3:12 pm

No, am still bitter and devastated.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 16 Feb 2016, 4:14 pm

Gallagher certainly isn't a bum (as he's rather oddly been labelled here). Great trainer? He's a great conditioner but I'm not convinced he's a great trainer. He hasn't taken anyone from amateur to world class to my knowledge (Quigg was moulded by Brian Hughes for example).

His record is superb, though, domestically.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next