The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mexico's First 4 Weight Champ - Morales or Arce?

+2
Union Cane
Valero's Conscience
6 posters

Go down

Mexico's First 4 Weight Champ - Morales or Arce? Empty Mexico's First 4 Weight Champ - Morales or Arce?

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 19 Sep 2011 - 16:51

When Morales won and in the hype leading to the fight there was constant mention of Morales getting the chance to/did make history to become the first Mexican to win world titles in 4 different weight classes.

I thought when Jorge Arce stopped Vasquez Jr in May this year that he won the WBO Super Bantamweight title and therefore was a legitimate 4 weight champ?!?

From looking at Arce's CV, amongst his previous achievements in addition to his current title are legit titles at 3 previous weights so why is Morales getting this accolade?

I understand Morales is by far the bigger name but seems somewhat disrespectful to Arce.

Is there a logical reason I can't see is are the TV companies simply ignoring Arce's achievement?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Mexico's First 4 Weight Champ - Morales or Arce? Empty Re: Mexico's First 4 Weight Champ - Morales or Arce?

Post by Union Cane Mon 19 Sep 2011 - 16:53

His WBC flyweight title was only interim, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam has mostly held the 'proper' version.

It is madness.

Last edited by Union Cane on Mon 19 Sep 2011 - 16:55; edited 1 time in total
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Mexico's First 4 Weight Champ - Morales or Arce? Empty Re: Mexico's First 4 Weight Champ - Morales or Arce?

Post by coxy0001 Mon 19 Sep 2011 - 16:54

Because he hasn't won titles in 4 divisions?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 19 Sep 2011 - 16:55

It's not an actual title win though. It was given to him after they stripped Bradley for no reason. I hope fans don't look at this as a legit 4th weight title, it's an insult to all the great Mexicans and tarnishes Morales himself in my eyes.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 19 Sep 2011 - 17:03

Union Cane wrote:His WBC flyweight title was only interim, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam has mostly held the 'proper' version.

It is madness.

Cheers, I thought he had won 4 'proper' titles, I guess I was wrong!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 19 Sep 2011 - 17:06

Morales has won belts in more divisions than Henry Armstrong. He must be really, really good.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 19 Sep 2011 - 17:12

Morales had two wins at 140 and was coming off a loss. His opponent was a late replacement with not a single name on his record and very few fights at the weight.

Is it against the rules to tell the WBC to kill themselves?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 19 Sep 2011 - 17:14

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Morales had two wins at 140 and was coming off a loss. His opponent was a late replacement with not a single name on his record and very few fights at the weight.

Is it against the rules to tell the WBC to kill themselves?

But Morales is MEXICAN... Duh!

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 19 Sep 2011 - 17:16

I know, I know...

If I changed my citizenship to Mexican do you think I could get a shot at Vitali? I don't weigh 200+ pounds.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 19 Sep 2011 - 17:27

Don't see why not. They took the 154 and 160 belts from Martinez and gifted them to Alvarez and Chavez Jr. I'm surprised Froch is still their 168 champ.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 19 Sep 2011 - 17:35

No mexicans at super middleweight. Maybe Julio Cesar Chavez should declare himself a super middle and thus get the title.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 19 Sep 2011 - 17:49

Doesn't have to be anyone good...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down