The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Rafa ever defend a title off clay?

+4
barrystar
JuliusHMarx
Tenez
bogbrush
8 posters

Go down

Will Rafa ever defend a title off clay? Empty Will Rafa ever defend a title off clay?

Post by bogbrush Tue 13 Sep 2011, 4:46 pm

It's a legitimate question because he doesn't look like he'll be doing it in 2012 as he's not (yet) won a title off clay in 2011. So unless there's a turnaround between now and the year end, 2012 will be ruled out meaning in 2013 he would have to win one that he also won in 2012.

It strikes me as an odd statistic but perhaps it's not as uncommon as I am thinking. Anyone know whether we've had a previous #1 with a similar record? Not wuite the same, but has Federer failed to defend a clay title or did he ever get Hamburg twice in a row?

Does this matter to his legacy?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Will Rafa ever defend a title off clay? Empty Re: Will Rafa ever defend a title off clay?

Post by Tenez Tue 13 Sep 2011, 4:53 pm

Yes Fed defended Hamburg a couple of times....if not thrice.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Will Rafa ever defend a title off clay? Empty Re: Will Rafa ever defend a title off clay?

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 13 Sep 2011, 4:59 pm

Sampras I think only won 3 titles on clay, none of which he defended,
Becker won no titles on clay, which would rule out defending one!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 13 Sep 2011, 7:40 pm

Nadal won the Abu Dhabi Championships in 2010-2011, although I guess it's only an exhition.

His next chances are at Japan this October and the Olympics next year - he may do it sooner than you think. I think defending a slam title is a very big deal, but defending a lesser title is less significant - although defending Olympic gold would be a bit special.

Fed won Hamburg in 2004 and 2005.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:31 pm

bogbrush wrote:Does this matter to his legacy?

Categorically not. It is an interesting footnote at best, there all elements of every record that can be scrutinised and compared unfavourably to someone else. Like a head-to-head, which, to me, matters not one jot to Federer's legacy.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 13 Sep 2011, 11:09 pm

His legacy will always be cakewalk draws and waiting for unforced errors, such is the limit of talent in Spanish sport they will be going talent scouting in minnow neighbours Andorra hoping to entice a johnny foreigner to make them look good, much like the Kiwis go scouting in Fiji looking for the next Jonah Lomu instead of nurturing players back home. thumbsup
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Wed 14 Sep 2011, 12:39 am

The reason we are all questioning if he can is because of the recent losses to Djokovic. It is impractical to suggest that Djoko will win every single slam from now for the next 4 years. There will come a point when he has a slight dip in form and I believe that is when Nadal will strike. As Josiah mentions it will depend on his draw which of late have always been a cakewalk. I mean last year he did not play a top guy at the USO until the final. Fair enough the others were not good enough (Mr Murray) to make it that far.

I think he will regroup and come back just as Federer did in 2009 after the then considered horrendous 2008. I think he will certainly defend on clay and defend his beloved RG.

The top guys need to step up. It cannot be a one or two horse race!

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:07 am

I don't think RG is going to be easily protected, Djoko makes the final and he deffo will try a lot harder next year as it's the only slam missing from his CV and Nadal is as good as cooked. It doesn't matter how much Nadal loves RG, just like how Nadal fanatics were insisting the two wins in Madrid & Rome meant nothing, it actually took Fed to stop Djokovic. Factor in the fact that @ some point Fed will be placed in Rafa's side of the draw and then Nadal will not only have to defeat Fed in the semis but also Djokovic in a final. Tough challenge, even for Nadal.

I am sure that Nadal will get more slams but it won't be from defeating Djokovic in a final, that much I am certain of. Losing 6 out of 6 finals doesn't lie, it's a horrendous stat. How some posters can consider him of GOAT status with a record which will only get worse is beyond me.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down