The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training camps!

+3
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
AlexHuckerby
ONETWOFOREVER
7 posters

Go down

Training camps!  Empty Training camps!

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 28 Aug 2011, 6:02 pm

Just watched jimdigs Mayweather v Ortiz 24/7 episode. Mayweather has a hell of a lot of people and distractions in his gym. I cant fault the guy he is at the top of his game and still undefeated but wondered what your views were on it. Maybe Floyd is a fighter who needs people around him to boost his ego or give encouragement but when training for a fight I would personally go down the Marvin Haglar route of secluding myself in the sticks somewhere,just me and my team and employing the sacrifice that a determined, dedicated fighter should. Haglar would leave his family and friends to train like a soldier preparing for combat. To this day Haglar is applauded for his work ethic and approach to the game which is why he was such a great success.

Its odd how the two biggest names in boxing Manny and Floyd surround themselves with so many people when training. My question to you guys is what approach would you take the Manny/Floyd way or the militent Haglar approach?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Training camps!  Empty Re: Training camps!

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 28 Aug 2011, 6:17 pm

Not sure, Hagler was a keep it real down to earth kinda guy...
Mayweather LOVES the spotlight, craves the attention and the drama, don't think it's like distractions to him, get a feeling it gives him more of an push to go and "prove 'dose haters wrong!" Also in answer to your question I would take a more middle ground approach almost the David Haye way, be massively in the spotlight but train quietly.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 28 Aug 2011, 6:28 pm

Why would you need the spotlight?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 28 Aug 2011, 6:32 pm

To sell the fight and boost your cut of the purse.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 28 Aug 2011, 6:44 pm

prettyboykev wrote:To sell the fight and boost your cut of the purse.

Precisely you can be really talented like Tim Bradley but where has that gotten him (in terms of where he could be being an undefeated Black and bald american champion know anyone else like that?), he's duller than dishwater, to hit the masses you need to have a controversial or fun personality that captures the casual viewers.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 28 Aug 2011, 6:47 pm

Or be a daft foreigner that sings on Jimmy Kibble with Will Ferrell.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 28 Aug 2011, 6:50 pm

To be fair that was pretty hilarious!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Mon 29 Aug 2011, 9:55 pm

[
Its odd how the two biggest names in boxing Manny and Floyd surround themselves with so many people when training. My question to you guys is what approach would you take the Manny/Floyd way or the militent Haglar approach?[/quote]

Not really that odd- look at the entourages that Ali and SRR used to be surrounded by- makes Manny and Floyd look quite conservative.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 29 Aug 2011, 10:00 pm

Not sure theirs a right or wrong way each to their own. I wouldn't like the Hagler approach I would like a distraction from the fight I think it would play on my mind to much if I never had a distraction.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 29 Aug 2011, 11:17 pm

I'd probably want a somewhat busy training camp, but busy with necessary people. I couldn't have silent montony but at the same time I couldn't stand all the clingers on, they'd make me quite paranoid.

If I had to choose one extreme or the other I'd take Floyds, simply because I'd go absolutely stir crazy if it got too solitary.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 30 Aug 2011, 10:46 pm

id definetly go the hagler way, somewhere isolated like the big bear camp. think been in the spot light whilst training is a bad idea, look at haye he ended up putting to much pressure on himself to act the big man that he couldnt keep it up and ended up making himself look abit silly. if your an exciting fighter you will eventually get noticed. all the other distractions just get in the way, ive seen manny playing basket ball a few days before the mosley fight, if he'd twisted an ankle would it really have been worth it?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu 01 Sep 2011, 4:23 pm

eddyfightfan wrote: ive seen manny playing basket ball a few days before the mosley fight, if he'd twisted an ankle would it really have been worth it?

i see your point, but when you're manny you can do how you please and no one will say otherwise.
especially the yes men he surrounds himself with, like lesser obnoxious versions of the yes men that surround mayweather.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down