The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wlad K in training

+13
whotobeA
Michaels, Sean
J.Benson II
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Clarky Cat
manos de piedra
The Tylorstown Terror
lightsout
Colonial Lion
TRUSSMAN66
Seanusarrilius
BALTIMORA
HumanWindmill
17 posters

Go down

Wlad K in training Empty Wlad K in training

Post by Guest Thu 09 Jun 2011, 6:09 pm

Read an article in today's Daily mail (I don't buy it, but the guy opposite me does and he will keep leaving it around for me to read) which focuses on Wlad's training for the upcoming fight with Haye. Wlad admits he dislikes Haye but says that as a fighter, Haye makes him very nervous. Wlad has also taken himself away from Hamburg and is training at altitude for this one.

One thing which surprises me though is that apparently Wlad appears to have shed some pounds in what appears to be a bid to come in lighter and more mobile. On the face of it, it's a smart move but I'm not sure it's going to be of much use. He's never done it before and now isn't the time to be trying out new things (old dogs and new tricks and all that) especially on the eve of the biggest fight of your career. I remember Ruiz doing something similar to this in preparation for the Jones fight and apart from round one, he had little or no success with it. What Wlad hopes to gain from it is anyone's guess though. He already has the tools to make life awkward for Haye and if he utilises them to their fullest, it shouldn't matter what he weighs on the night.

Seems Wlad and co have also been trying a bit of kiddology prior to the fight as well. According to reports, Wlad was seen leaning on his David Haye sized sparring partners but, shock horror, was actually wrestled to the ground by one of them. Perhaps Haye will read the article and fall for such blatent nonsense and decide to try outmuscle Wlad come fight night, but he'd have to have had a brain swap with Wayne Rooney first.

Honestly Wlad, why bother? The two hours you spent trying to convince British reporters that you're not that strong on the inside or that your jab isn't that good at the minute, could have been better spent genuinely sharpening those tools. You're going to need to be at the very top of your game on 2nd July dear boy.

Back to top Go down

Wlad K in training Empty Re: Wlad K in training

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 09 Jun 2011, 6:13 pm

Thanks for sharing this, Dave. It'll be very interesting to see his weight come fight night.

There's a PM in your inbox, by the way.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 09 Jun 2011, 6:14 pm

There's something about Wlad I just can't warm to. He seems humourless...kind of like the smart friendless kid at school who tries to be funny but fails.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 09 Jun 2011, 6:20 pm

he is not humourless and i actually have warmed to him a bit in the build up to this, but i still want haye to smash him.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Jun 2011, 6:22 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:There's something about Wlad I just can't warm to. He seems humourless...kind of like the smart friendless kid at school who tries to be funny but fails.
I know what you mean. However, if you were to list the things that you don't like about him and then read them aloud to an impartial observer though, YOU'D be the one who ends up looking like an ass. I almost feel guilty that I don't like him. He is, on the face of it, an intelligent, articulate man and yet of ALL the intelligent, articulate people on the planet, I just don't seem to 'get' what I'm supposed to like about him.

Still, I doubt he'll lose too much sleep over it.

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:08 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:There's something about Wlad I just can't warm to. He seems humourless...kind of like the smart friendless kid at school who tries to be funny but fails.
I know what you mean. However, if you were to list the things that you don't like about him and then read them aloud to an impartial observer though, YOU'D be the one who ends up looking like an ass. I almost feel guilty that I don't like him. He is, on the face of it, an intelligent, articulate man and yet of ALL the intelligent, articulate people on the planet, I just don't seem to 'get' what I'm supposed to like about him.

Still, I doubt he'll lose too much sleep over it.

Yeah, good point. He's just a bit...boring. I can't quite get over the old 'do a paintwork' line...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:09 pm

Why is it folly to lose a few pounds and hence be quicker and more mobile....The less time he gives Haye to avoid a big punch is surely better for his chances...

Absurd article....

Why would Haye who weighs forty pounds or so less.. ever think he could outmuscle a guy three stone and four/five inches taller???

Otherwise good article.. Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:18 pm

Absurd article otherwise a good article? Dear God what DOES that even mean?

I merely suggested it seems almost overkill given the tools he already has at his disposal and Wlad doesn't strike me as the kind of guy whose going to transform into a dancing master in the next three weeks. If he tries anything different vs Haye I think he'll come unstuck. He's not a natural mover and I think he'd be in danger of focusing so much on movement, he forgets about defence or even his own offence. He's well known for caution and saving the jab until he's absolutely certain it'll land so adding extra movement into the equation can only make life harder and more confusing for him.

My belief is that he should stick to what's served him well in the past (actually, I think he should try a million new things thus giving Haye the chance to land that right hand of his).

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:20 pm

Your article is stupid then....

I mean for a big guy to come in lighter a la Tubbs, Page is bound to make them quicker and more mobile..obvious!!

"Otherwise good article"...Sarcasm mate...The type any one with a brain would've got..

I over-estimated you..Sorry.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:26 pm

Wlad coming in lighter makes perfect sense to me. He will want any edge he can get and if he feels he wants to look for increased mobility then why not?

I doubt he thinks shedding a few pounds is going to transform him into Ali, I would suggest hes merely playing the small edge percentages rather than full blown transformation.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:31 pm

Absolutely and in a fight where the small percentages might add up to a big prize...

Against a guy much quicker it would be folly to lack some speed..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:32 pm

I mean for a big guy to come in lighter a la Tubbs, Page is bound to make them quicker and more mobile..obvious!!
Worked a treat for Ruiz didn't it? Arreola also looked like a different animal against Vitali didn't he...for about 90 seconds anyway.

Lion, my belief is that as Wlad is a product of hard work, repetition and focus rather than natural abilities, he runs the risk of being so focused on the mobility aspect of his game that he neglects his more successful attributes.

Not saying I don't appreciate why Wlad may be doing it, I'm saying I think he would be better honing the tools he already has at his disposal.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:34 pm

Can't he hone and lose a few pounds ??????

Better answer quickly..the way it's going there may be none of us left..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:36 pm

Aye, we'll all be the the victims of a drive-by modding by 9pm.

Like I said, if he wants to shift a few pounds that's his business, I just don't think it adds that much to his arsenal as I don't think he'd be able to outmanouvre Haye anyway

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:36 pm

Haye's going to get really hurt I'm afraid, Wlad's jab is piston like and can't see David getting past it. I'd say Wlad is a serious/intelligent sportsman full stop who will take this fight on in the same way as he's done in the past in a very methodical way/ ie safety first and break Haye down over the distance instead of taking any risks. Wlad is a PHD and speaks x5 languages who said he had to be a joker and get everyone to like him, he doesn't really need any U.K fans he's got enough in Germany/Europe so don't expect him to go overboard on the Public Relations like our man Haye from the 'street'. He's also got a 90% knockout rate so yes Haye is really going to get hurt, just look at the stats I'm afraid, anyway I only hope that David doesn't pull out of this match up again with yet another 'injury'.

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:39 pm

Douglas vs Tyson...Douglas vs Holy = 10 pounds..

Tell me there wasn't any difference there..

Taylor v Norris is another one..moved up lost his speed...

will gain something aesthetically.....anyway maybe just psychological...

worried about Haye's speed obviously..and he should be!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:41 pm

what time will this fight be on by the way? usual 10-11 pm slot?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:41 pm

Notice the announcement thread is locked..but not for mods calling us all childish and locking again...before rebuttal

what were you saying about drive-by.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Tylorstown Terror Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:42 pm

Ahh Haye vs Wlad, wont last long thats for sure

The Tylorstown Terror

Back to top Go down

Post by The Tylorstown Terror Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:44 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Notice the announcement thread is locked..but not for mods calling us all childish and locking again...before rebuttal

what were you saying about drive-by.

Bang bang your dead

The Tylorstown Terror

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:45 pm

Come on, Douglas wasn't the same fighter vs Holy that he was vs Tyson. You've even said it yourself citing the death of his mother as his inspiration for the win in Tokyo. Weight issues be damned!.

Lightsout, talk all you like about Wlad's 90% KO ratio, which is more accurately a 90% STOPPAGE rate. He took 11 rounds to deal with 'Fast' Eddie Chambers and against a non-puncher like that, still looked petrified when Chambers went on the offensive.

Mo-fos don't be showin' da Mod-Fo's nuff respect, homie...or something!

Ban people for disagreeing with the Mods, what a CAPITAL idea!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:49 pm

We don't know if Douglas was the same fighter?? that's the whole point..

He came in heavy....

We can assume he wasn't that's about it...

Look on the brightside that thread is still locked and there are at least three other mods available who haven't hurled abuse at the members..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:53 pm

So you think that Wlad shedding a few extra pounds will cause him to neglect the rest of his game?

I presume hes looking to lose maybe 7 pounds here or something, not go on a crash diet.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by The Tylorstown Terror Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:53 pm

A forum without posters seems like a novel idea

Wlad isn't going to gain too much by trimming down, either way he's going to be slower so would be better off fighting at his usual weight

The Tylorstown Terror

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarky Cat Thu 09 Jun 2011, 7:55 pm

How much can Wlad realistically slim down that'll make THAT much of a difference? It's not like he's Chris Arreola; Wlad's ripped already!

nb: apologies for the c**itals

Clarky Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:08 pm

Very sorry Dave667 yes it's a 90% STOPPAGE rate and not knockout rate, I take it you're a Haye fanatic then, by sort of deliberately missing my point, good luck my man, let's just see how things pan out for Wlad on fight night then.....will it be a knockout or points victory for Haye or a STOPPAGE for Wlad to add to the other 49 ....yes 49 other STOPPAGES Wlad's got on his record.....hmmmmmmmmm lets just see.

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:26 pm

Wlad doesn't need to come in light to be effective against haye. He may not be a natural mover but he's nimble enough for a man his size - his style is robotic because he's cautious, but he's a good athlete.

Interesting comment from roach in this months BM - he says he thinks haye will win, and he says when he trained wlad he once said to him "you're a great athlete" to which wlad replied "thanks, but I wish I could fight". Interesting snapshot of where wlads mentality us at - he often says he's not a natural born fighter like his brother, and I think these kind of comments do show a mental fragility with his self belief when it comes to mixing it up. He knows he can box, but there is definite self doubt within him regarding his belief in himself as a fighting man. Haye needs to unload some heat on him, send that self doubt into overdrive.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:46 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Wlad doesn't need to come in light to be effective against haye. He may not be a natural mover but he's nimble enough for a man his size - his style is robotic because he's cautious, but he's a good athlete.

Interesting comment from roach in this months BM - he says he thinks haye will win, and he says when he trained wlad he once said to him "you're a great athlete" to which wlad replied "thanks, but I wish I could fight". Interesting snapshot of where wlads mentality us at - he often says he's not a natural born fighter like his brother, and I think these kind of comments do show a mental fragility with his self belief when it comes to mixing it up. He knows he can box, but there is definite self doubt within him regarding his belief in himself as a fighting man. Haye needs to unload some heat on him, send that self doubt into overdrive.

Its context though. Roach worked with Wlad briefly after he had been knocked out by Sanders. So at that time I cant imagine Wlad was on top of the world and feeling confident. That was about 8 years ago. Could also be bitterness on Roachs part as he regularly critices the pair of them.

Pacquiao probably wished he could fight after Singsurat and Torrecampo beat him up...

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu 09 Jun 2011, 9:12 pm

When he fought Ruslan Chagaev, he was initially training to fight Haye.
Therefore, I'd imagine he'll come in a similar condition as he did in that fight.
Around 240lbs.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Jun 2011, 9:12 pm

The Tylorstown Terror, pm for you

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:03 am

I like Wlad. In the same way i appreciate Mourinho (not a football fan by the way) for his use of the English language, I appreciate Wlad's. Takes me back to BBC sports personality of the year when Mourinho won coach of the year and Rooney young player. Mourinho was classy, giving praise to the club, players and his family. Rooney just chewed gum and came out with er obviously, er take each game as it comes, er set out our stall.....

Makes a change hearing intelligent sportsmen like Wlad. Can think of very few in England right now.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by whotobeA Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:19 am

I can only liken Wlad to the over friendly bar staff or waiter you meet who has just slightly too much to say when your on an eastern euro stag weekend, not interesterd where the ancient cathedral is we just want to get ratlegged on you cheap rocketfuel like beer (bier?). Not that i'm stereotyping.

But i'd agree that Wlad has no need to change anything & Froch summed it up on ringside when he talked about sticking with what works, better to work to your own strengths than adapt to your opponents. I dont think Haye is trying to pile on the pounds.

whotobeA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:38 am

But i'd agree that Wlad has no need to change anything & Froch summed it up on ringside when he talked about sticking with what works, better to work to your own strengths than adapt to your opponents. I dont think Haye is trying to pile on the pounds.
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar...I thought I was going mad for a second

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:55 am

i can't remember wlad getting so emotionally involved in the build up to a fight, don't know if thats a good or bad thing for haye but haye has got to him. i don't know if that means wlad will be more or less focused, but haye has acheived what he set out to do, get under the skin of wlad. i don't think we'll here much from haye till fight night, his work with wlad is done and now he will just train, and plan with booth

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 10 Jun 2011, 1:37 pm

Wlad is more emotionally involved for two obvious reasons. First it is a unification against a dangerous opponent. 2. Haye has said many provocative things in the last 2/3 yrs regarding Waldimir

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 10 Jun 2011, 2:01 pm

I think we fans tend to over analyse these pre fight jousting sessions between two fighters.

Neither guy is mentally weak. Both guys are taking the fight to win. Its the biggest fight for both fighters in their careers so everything will be magnified. Wlad wants to come in a few pounds lighter against a quicker opponent so people jump to the conclusion hes drastically altering his style? Haye stutters in a press conference in Germany and people assume hes scared? etc

I think its over analysing. Both fighters appear confident to me, both will be aware of the challenge they face. Both will be in top condition on July 2nd unless there is an unfortunate injury.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 10 Jun 2011, 3:20 pm

agree in this case manos but i think fights can be won out of the ring

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 10 Jun 2011, 4:09 pm

This to me seems like a gameplan.

Don't think Wlad is going to be any different than he usually is, just think he's stating all these things to make Haye excited.

That way when Haye gets in there expecting something different only to be facing the usual defense minded jabbing style he'll lose his head slightly, mingames IMO.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Perfessor Albertus Lion V Fri 10 Jun 2011, 5:01 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
One thing which surprises me though is that apparently Wlad appears to have shed some pounds in what appears to be a bid to come in lighter and more mobile. On the face of it, it's a smart move but I'm not sure it's going to be of much use. He's never done it before and now isn't the time to be trying out new things (old dogs and new tricks and all that) especially on the eve of the biggest fight of your career.

~ Why sir, without any background for context, everything seems a surprise for most on this forum.

Mr. Wlad came in light for the Ibragimov fight, a one handed walk in the park against a quick, awkward southpaw with more heavyweight credentials than Mr. Daveed.

Really sir, surely you don't swallow every bit of bilgewater in these promotions. 240-245 is his ideal weight, regardless of the opponent, and 50 is his lucky number for this alleged fight.
Perfessor Albertus Lion V

https://www.606v2.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jun 2011, 9:04 am

Mr. Wlad came in light for the Ibragimov fight, a one handed walk in the park against a quick, awkward southpaw with more heavyweight credentials than Mr. Daveed.
Forget koolaide, I think someone's been on the bilgewater!

Would this be the same Ibragimov fight that has the audience booing with frustration (and some might say derision) at the woeful display put on by both protagonists? Would it also be fair to say that it was this very fight which hammered to final nail in the coffin as far as the USA's interest in the HW division? Walk in the park? I think most that night would have preferred a walk in Central Park at midnight and run the risk of been stabbed rather that sit through that turgid showing again.

Watching the supposedly best HW on the planet play pattycake for 36 minutes with the (laughs own rear end off) "quick, awkward southpaw" was certainly a cure for what ails you...if what ails you is the will to live!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 10:56 am

Perfessor does know his stuff..you should be more respectful.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:50 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Perfessor does know his stuff..you should be more respectful.
He clearly never watched the Ibragimov fight...or maybe he did and the subsequent brain damage he suffered as a result has influenced his thinking..Certainly accounts for the ridiculous writing style he's adopted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jun 2011, 3:17 pm

I find it interesting that the Perfessor bonks himself out over Wlad, yet he himself resembles Haye's tactics against VAluev.;he appears suddenly, stings like a bee and just when you hope to see a apattern emerging he goes missing in action.

Back to top Go down

Post by Perfessor Albertus Lion V Sat 11 Jun 2011, 4:34 pm

andygf wrote:I find it interesting that the Perfessor bonks himself out over Wlad, yet he himself resembles Haye's tactics against VAluev.;he appears suddenly, stings like a bee and just when you hope to see a apattern emerging he goes missing in action.

***** Five Star bonks over the kindly Perfessor kind sir.

Keep hope alive in Barney World long enough and perhaps a glimmer to enlighten your world.

Mainly stay off of the Dumboids sir, they'll have you looking for patterns in the grade school pitter-patter that passes for the all too typical bum of the day dialogue.

I'll give Mr. Daveed credit when he shows up for a real battle, not a bottle over handbags in his last affair.

https://www.606v2.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 11 Jun 2011, 9:41 pm

If this is true then I can only see it as all of Haye's pre-fight antics having an effect on Wlad. He hasn't in my memory come across as an aggressive actor or talker and for such a mild personality to be confronted by a blazer can certainly unnerve you.

I'm leaning towards Haye and have the feeling that there will be many silent receptions from the Haye critics once it is revealed that the socially disgraceful antics were all a tactical mindgame to push Wlad's buttons.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down