The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reggie Corrigan speaks about getting Eye-Gouged

+18
greybeard
mrsuperclear
Cymroglan
Mr Fishpaste
thebandwagonsociety
Shifty
flankertye
Mickado
pete (buachaill on eirne)
LordDowlais
HammerofThunor
Draigoch
red_stag
mckay1402
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
SB
mpc28
Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Reggie Corrigan speaks about getting Eye-Gouged - Page 2 Empty Reggie Corrigan speaks about getting Eye-Gouged

Post by Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour Thu 25 Aug 2011, 10:04 am

First topic message reminder :

Anyone else have a read of this. Corrigan was gouged in the 2003 RWC v Argentina and speaks about it in the Irish Times.

"It was scariest moment I've ever had on a rugby pitch. I've always said that. He ripped my contact lens in two and right out of my eye. I thought my eye was gone. When I came out of it and took my hand away from my eye, there was just blackness. I couldn't see. I genuinely though he ripped my eyeball from my socket. I genuinely did, because the two fingers went right in, like they were going into the back of my head".

What a bloody description. Seriously hope that eye-gouging dies a death from here on; disgusting thing. Rugby is full of hard men. But there are some bloody cowards out there too.

http://www.trevorbrennanrugbytours.com/

Back to top Go down

Reggie Corrigan speaks about getting Eye-Gouged - Page 2 Empty Re: Reggie Corrigan speaks about getting Eye-Gouged

Post by greybeard Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:08 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Not really. The up to 50% is standard practice and is endorsed by the IRB. It's also standard practice in the legal world. I don't see the big problem with it. the only issue I had with Cueto's was the fact it was at the end of the season

The problem is it's not practiced by all unions, so there isn't a level playing field. And a player is less likely to receive a lengthy ban if his offence occurred during a domestic match compared to an ERC one.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Reggie Corrigan speaks about getting Eye-Gouged - Page 2 Empty Re: Reggie Corrigan speaks about getting Eye-Gouged

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 01 Sep 2011, 7:09 am

Who doesn't apply it? And what do you mean if they don't? They don't have mitigating factors or that their no lower limit on them? Or is there a higher lower limit?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 01 Sep 2011, 8:43 am

Everyone applies mitigation, but I meant the first time I'd heard of the one-off 50% reduction was for the Cueto case.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:36 am

I've heard about it plenty of times before.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:40 am

Hmmm, I need to keep closer eye on the RFU Wink

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2