The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Netherlands Overtake Spain in FIFA rankings.

+12
Enforcer
Kay Fabe
AberdeenSteve
Sugar Floyd Louis
Adam D
ADMIN
Gibson
Liam_Main
hodge
super_realist
Irish Curry
User Name
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Netherlands Overtake Spain in FIFA rankings. Empty Netherlands Overtake Spain in FIFA rankings.

Post by User Name Wed 24 Aug 2011, 5:40 pm

1 Netherlands
2 Spain
3 Germany
4 England
5 Uruguay
6 Brazil
31 Republic of Ireland
55 Scotland
59 Northern Ireland
117 Wales

I'm not sure which is more ridiculous, Holland overtaken the World Champions, or England being 4th.

User Name

Back to top Go down

Netherlands Overtake Spain in FIFA rankings. Empty Re: Netherlands Overtake Spain in FIFA rankings.

Post by Irish Curry Wed 24 Aug 2011, 8:45 pm

England being 4th diffenitly! I'll eat my hat if anyone thinks they should be there. Chef
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Netherlands Overtake Spain in FIFA rankings. Empty Re: Netherlands Overtake Spain in FIFA rankings.

Post by super_realist Wed 24 Aug 2011, 8:53 pm

Irish Curry wrote:England being 4th diffenitly! I'll eat my hat if anyone thinks they should be there. Chef

They might squeeze into the top 16, but only just.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Wed 24 Aug 2011, 9:36 pm

The rankings are a complet joke I dont really tend to pay any notice to them generally, that said its fun to see how wrong they are. boxing
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 25 Aug 2011, 12:45 am

I have to say i do like Wales being 117th

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Thu 25 Aug 2011, 2:01 am

Wales 117th there not that bad!
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 25 Aug 2011, 2:32 pm

yes, yes they are Smile

i will be mentioning this when i go back to uni as i go to one in wales

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 05 Sep 2011, 1:33 pm

Nederland being Top team in the World is far from a joke. They have only lost ONE game in years. The WC Final. Right now, they are the best team in the World- on merit.

Van Marwijk has done wonders for them. Euro 2012 is ours I tell yiz. Ours.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Mon 05 Sep 2011, 1:43 pm

Since the World Cup, Spain have lost 3 games to Argentina (4-1), Portugal (4-0) and Italy (2-1) so completely agree with Gibson.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 05 Sep 2011, 1:47 pm

Wales have been woeful (until the result on Friday where they played brilliantly).

I think they are better than that but not anywhere near the top 50 countries as we were a couple of years ago.

The problem with the rankings is that you get countries like Syria, Cuba and Haiti above them.

Hopefully we can get some new found confidence from Friday.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Netherlands Overtake Spain in FIFA rankings. Empty TIME TO IGNORE FIFA RANKINGS???

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:48 pm

Spain are European and World champions.... how on earth are they not first????

How are England the 4th best in the world besides being so poor at competitions???

p.s excuse me and my over-use of punctuation marks!!!!

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 05 Sep 2011, 7:57 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Because Spain have nose-dived since!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:06 pm

Gibson wrote:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Because Spain have nose-dived since!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laugh 🤦 sorry for angering you there fella, but point still stands SPAIN ARE WORLD AND EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND SHOULD BE FIRST. They are the number one team and thats a fact. Just because they aren't trying heard in meaningless matches shouldn't change that, they're probably treating them like friendlies.

Come Euros next year they will wipe the floor with everyone and I hope people aren't surprised.

Goodness me its people like you that are to blame for Fifas antics, you encourage them!!!!!

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:11 pm

Nah pal. Nederland are 1. Going to win Euro 2012. And 2. Then we take the WC off you in 2014. Its written in the stars. guinness

P.S Del Bosque and Van Marwijk are great friends. Mucho respect between them. I like that.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:19 pm

Now I aint even Spanish, nor do I care if they succeed or not, but you're deluded if you believe what you just typed.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:29 pm

Im Irish. Living in Nederland for 25 years. Delusion? Nah. Just know what's coming. Spain have had their time in the Sun. Watch out for Nederland.

Now go tell your friends. They will be impressed at your new-found knowledge... OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 05 Sep 2011, 8:37 pm

I think the results that Hero posted above proves that Spain aren't the best side in the world. Losing 4-1 to Argentina and 4-0 to Portugal aren't results you'd associate with the best team in the world.

I personally felt too that Spain were lucky to win the World Cup. AND Scotland rattled them a few months back, says it all really.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:04 pm

🤦 my goodness. "Spain were lucky to win the world cup".

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:09 pm

Can you tell me one game that they were completely dominant?

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:13 pm

If you look back at the World Cup Spain failed to win any match apart from against Honduras by more than 1 goal.

Lost 0-1 to Switzerland
Won 2-1 over Chile
Won 1-0 over Portugal
Won 1-0 over Paraguay
Won 1-0 over Germany
Won 1-0 over Holland

They actually had the lowest ever number of goals scored for a World Cup winner and the lowest ever number of goalscorers (3).

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:16 pm

I think Spain where lucky to win the World Cup too, they didn't play their own game too often, Torres was rotten too, the Dutch where by far the most entetaining side for me, I agree though that any ranking for the current World & European Champions that isn't number 1 is seriously flawed

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:19 pm

I had actually forgotten that they were beaten by the Swiss. That really is a poor string of results though, I think that validates my point that they were lucky to win the World Cup.

Dutch are definitely favourites to win the Euro's next year. However, how the Belgian's doing? They have a string of talented youngsters coming through.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:30 pm

Spain will be there or there abouts next Summer, with at least 6 starters being Barca regulars you just know you'll have to beat them to win it, Norway could be a great each way bet to make the semi's, they'll be good value

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:32 pm

San Marino anyone? Laugh

Have to feel sorry for them, 44 conceded and 0 scored.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:35 pm

Belgium will be lucky to get through the qualifying stage, they're in a mare of a group with Germany, Turkey & Austria.

Germany themselves are looking very strong. Played 8, won 8, scored 28 conceded 5.

Holland have won all 7 in their group and scored 32 goals in the process.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:41 pm

Ouch, that is a difficult group they got.

They have a whole heap of talented guys who are still very young and seem to have a few more coming through.

Vincent Kompany, Thomas Vermaelen, Eden Hazard, Steven DeFour, Marouane Fellaini, Romelu Lukaku.

Could be a surprise package if they some how manage to qualify.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:52 pm

Germany will be strong. Fantastic side. Our nemesis.

The boy Mesut Özil. The best and most effective player in the World imo. Forget Messi and the girl Ronaldo. This boy makes Germany & Real Madrid tick. Genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hed01VwSzVI

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 06 Sep 2011, 8:47 pm

Finland 0-2 Nederland. Chalk another one up.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Sep 2011, 6:47 pm

not really sure why netherlands are ranked higher than spain Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Wed 21 Sep 2011, 6:50 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:not really sure why netherlands are ranked higher than spain Headscratch

Because they have amassed more points in the ranking system than Spain have?

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Sep 2011, 7:10 pm

The rankings mean diddly squat. If Spain were to play Holland every week for the next year I'd pick them to win 70 per cent of them matches.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 21 Sep 2011, 7:36 pm

I wouldn't. Id rip that bet right out of your hand with relish Sir. Watch us play. Anyway, the proof will be in the pudding. guinness

TBH, I think Germany are every bit as good, if not better - than those 2. Its going to be interesting.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Sep 2011, 7:43 pm

Gibson wrote:I wouldn't. Id rip that bet right out of your hand with relish Sir. Watch us play. Anyway, the proof will be in the pudding. guinness

TBH, I think Germany are every bit as good, if not better - than those 2. Its going to be interesting.

Possibly. The Dutch may have beaten the Spaniards in the world Cup Final had they played a bit of football. I admire your choice in beer though Sir!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:20 am

Thats true mo chara. So true. But, Nederland still have that steel and have slowly gone back to playing fast-passing, swift, sexshy football. They never lost that really. Check how they outplayed a hard Brazil in the same WC. Don't always listen to, or adhere to - the media slant on things.

Most soccer fans do. In truth.

I blame Murdoch and his ilk. And small-minded people. zen

Good to talk to ya man. guinness
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:52 am

The FIFA rankings are far to jumpy for my liking. Spain have dominated international football for 3 years now no one should be above them especially not the team they beat in the biggest game in international football only a year ago. Both have had good form since the WC so their is no reason for Spain to be second.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 22 Sep 2011, 1:03 am

Kev. Check back man. Spain have lost 3 games v top sides since. That's what phhoked em. The stats don't lie. It's current. Not back in Summer.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Thu 22 Sep 2011, 5:45 pm

prettyboykev wrote:The FIFA rankings are far to jumpy for my liking. Spain have dominated international football for 3 years now no one should be above them especially not the team they beat in the biggest game in international football only a year ago. Both have had good form since the WC so their is no reason for Spain to be second.

absolutely agree... forget form, a huge role in these rankings should be the down to major tournaments too. Spain are EURO and WORLD champions.... no excuse whatsoever to not think they aren't number 1 at football.

So what if Spain draw next 5 games, and England win theirs, England go above them? could be misleading for those not too into football....

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Thu 22 Sep 2011, 5:46 pm

FreekShow wrote:The rankings mean diddly squat. If Spain were to play Holland every week for the next year I'd pick them to win 70 per cent of them matches.

This!

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 22 Sep 2011, 6:54 pm

Forget form? OK. Lets forget it then and bury our heads in the sand. OK

Not logical Captain..
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Thu 22 Sep 2011, 7:00 pm

Gibson wrote:Forget form? OK. Lets forget it then and bury our heads in the sand. OK

Not logical Captain..

would make sense if there was an club like league... on an International scale.

However there isn't, 90% of it should be based on tournaments in my honest opinion. Should I don't know, Saudi Arabia win all their friendlies, and Spain loses there's, go above them?? Yet come world-cup time, Spain probably win it, and Saudi Arabia don't even qualify...

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 22 Sep 2011, 7:05 pm

jay-z wrote:
Gibson wrote:Forget form? OK. Lets forget it then and bury our heads in the sand. OK

Not logical Captain..

would make sense if there was an club like league... on an International scale.

However there isn't, 90% of it should be based on tournaments in my honest opinion. Should I don't know, Saudi Arabia win all their friendlies, and Spain loses there's, go above them?? Yet come world-cup time, Spain probably win it, and Saudi Arabia don't even qualify...

It's also based on the opposition they face so it's very unlikely Saudi Arabia would gain any notable wins, and a lot can happen in the 2 years between major tournaments. It's obviously a flawed system, but the best we have for something which at the end of the day doesn't mean anything anyway, so it shouldn't bother anybody.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 22 Sep 2011, 7:05 pm

Gibson wrote:Kev. Check back man. Spain have lost 3 games v top sides since. That's what phhoked em. The stats don't lie. It's current. Not back in Summer.

Friendly games should not count towards rankings only competitive games.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 22 Sep 2011, 7:11 pm

OK, now we want to change the rules and ignore form, to suit your point of view?

Sheesh. Ok lads. Im ooot. OK

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:37 am

Gibson wrote:OK, now we want to change the rules and ignore form, to suit your point of view?

Sheesh. Ok lads. Im ooot. OK

How are friendlies a judge of form? Most teams tinker and experiment in these games. It's like pre season for club teams at times. Totally irrelevant. A ranking of international teams that Spain aren't top of is a joke. They have won the last 2 tournaments. Croatia are 10th and they weren't even at the last World cup and got eliminated at the quarter finals of Euro 2008!
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:39 am

England are 4th enough said really. The rankings are a joke and if you can't see that then you must be stupid!
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:15 am

No Kev, by mere inclination, you are not so smart. And I'm being nice there pal. But I still love ya anyway.

England are schitt (a lot less schit than your Scotland mind). Ireland and Wales are also inpet technically. And they will never go anywhere in European or World football, as long as their over-hyped Premiership - is polluted by players - some of whom, actually compete for and win - EC's & WC's s. Its true. No argument there. But we are talking about real football teams here. Not England and the Home Nation dross.

There are only 3 teams in it - in Europe. And the World now. Nederland 1. Germany 2. Spain 3. Its so simple man. Educate yourself. Get involved and stop watching SKY for your individual opinion. Like millions of other supposed individual opinions, coming out of the yob YUK Pub culture.

Spain are done. They have shot their bolt. 70 years of failure has been appeased now, by more luck and fortune than skill. It's done. Its Nederland and Deutchland's time now. Now sit back and enjoy the Show. And tell em I sent ya. OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 23 Sep 2011, 7:54 am

Uruguay might have something to say about that Gibbo. Had a decent last WC,won this year's Copa America and still a pretty young team.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:36 am

Gibson wrote:No Kev, by mere inclination, you are not so smart. And I'm being nice there pal. But I still love ya anyway.

England are schitt (a lot less schit than your Scotland mind). Ireland and Wales are also inpet technically. And they will never go anywhere in European or World football, as long as their over-hyped Premiership - is polluted by players - some of whom, actually compete for and win - EC's & WC's s. Its true. No argument there. But we are talking about real football teams here. Not England and the Home Nation dross.

There are only 3 teams in it - in Europe. And the World now. Nederland 1. Germany 2. Spain 3. Its so simple man. Educate yourself. Get involved and stop watching SKY for your individual opinion. Like millions of other supposed individual opinions, coming out of the yob YUK Pub culture.

Spain are done. They have shot their bolt. 70 years of failure has been appeased now, by more luck and fortune than skill. It's done. Its Nederland and Deutchland's time now. Now sit back and enjoy the Show. And tell em I sent ya. OK

Mate I never meant that as personal. These rankings have always been questionable and you know it.

I wasn't havng a pop at England but these rankings are based over 4 years which would include performance at the last 2 major tournaments. England never qualified for Euro 2008 and were rotten in 2010 how can they be 4th?

As for the other home nations we are rotten. Although with Ireland willing to give a game to anyone that has ever drank Guiness and in the process stealing 2 of Scotlands best talents in McGeady and McCarthy us Scots had no chance. Don't get me started on Levein or the S.F.A that's a different matter.

Spain are still the best around the way they control the ball and move it around the park is amazing. The Germans have an excellent young side and I think they will win the Euro's next year.

Not so sure about the Dutch though. Sneijder is outstanding but they can't rely on Van Persie or Robben in a tournament they are very injury prone. If they could keep those 2 fit they could do it as long thay play a bit more football.

Outside of Europe Argentina impress me most with their attacking options but defensively they are pretty poor.

I don't get my opinions from Sky and I don't drink so I definitely am not part of this yob YUK Pub culture whatever that means.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 23 Sep 2011, 2:16 pm

Kev mate,

Apologies. Logged on after a few beers last night. Pub talk. 🤦

Excellent post man. Most of it true, imo.

Hope we continue to have reasoned debate. Respect OK guinness
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 23 Sep 2011, 9:38 pm

The rankings in the OP aren't the same as the ones on the FIFA website.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html#confederation=0&rank=208
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next