The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Group B - Spain, Netherlands, Chile & Australia

+14
Kurt N. Jurqa
Nakatomi Plaza
monty junior
Good Golly I'm Olly
J.Benson II
Fernando
Pal Joey
LastDamnation
Crimey
Dolphin Ziggler
NickisBHAFC
Duty281
TopoftheChops
Hero
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Group B - Spain, Netherlands, Chile & Australia Empty Group B - Spain, Netherlands, Chile & Australia

Post by Hero Sat 10 May 2014, 4:31 pm

Discuss all Group B teams and matches here

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Group B - Spain, Netherlands, Chile & Australia Empty Re: Group B - Spain, Netherlands, Chile & Australia

Post by Guest Sat 10 May 2014, 4:45 pm

Outside of England's group, I'm extremely interested to see how this group pans out. Australia should get ripped to shreds but I'm expecting a tough battle to qualify out of this group from the rest. Let's not forget what happened to Spain against Switzerland in 2010 & Spain haven't been in such great form over the past 12 months. For me, Holland vs Chile could be the game of the WC or of the group stages. Fascinating group.

Back to top Go down

Group B - Spain, Netherlands, Chile & Australia Empty Re: Group B - Spain, Netherlands, Chile & Australia

Post by Hero Sat 10 May 2014, 4:51 pm

I'm very much looking forward to this group too, the Netherlands squad is brimming with lots of young talent and Chile with the likes of Vidal (if fit), Sanchez etc, they've beaten England in the past year, already drawn with Spain and narrowly lost to Germany.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Sat 10 May 2014, 6:05 pm

1. Spain
2. Chile
3. Netherlands
4. Australia

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 10 May 2014, 6:06 pm

What the fellow above me said.

Although I would dearly love Australia to do well...I just can't see it.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sat 10 May 2014, 8:23 pm

I'm going for a Netherlands shock group win, although I think Spain will get further.

1. Netherlands
2. Spain
3. Chile
4. Australia

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sat 10 May 2014, 9:44 pm

Spain and Holland for me. Mind you, i tipped Holland to do well at Euro 2012 and they were shocking, there defense isn't that great as well.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 10 May 2014, 11:43 pm

Chile have naivety in their side. I could see both Spain and Netherlands being smart enough to pick them off. It will depend how those two sides acclimatise to the conditions.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 12 May 2014, 9:17 am

I'm expecting:

Spain
Chile
Netherlands
Australia

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LastDamnation Mon 12 May 2014, 7:44 pm

I think Chile are a dark horse for this year, tempted by them at 40-1

LastDamnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 12 May 2014, 10:44 pm

Duty281 wrote:What the fellow above me said.

Although I would dearly love Australia to do well...I just can't see it.

Same here.
It could be extremely embarrassing. At least 10-12 goals against us... maybe 15+
They'll be ripped to shreds!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 13 May 2014, 12:12 pm

Spanish Provisional Squad

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas, Pepe Reina, David de Gea.

Defenders: Sergio Ramos, Gerard Pique, Raul Albiol, Juanfran, Jordi Alba, Daniel Carvajal, Alberto Moreno, Cesar Azpilicueta & Javi Martinez

Midfielders: Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Iniesta, Koke, Busquets, Cazorla, Iturraspe, Fabregas, Thiago, Mata, Silva.

Forwards: Pedro, Navas, Diego Costa, Villa, Torres, Negredo, Llorente.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 13 May 2014, 12:20 pm

A lot of forwards for a team that is known as midfield heavy. Surprised Torres is anywhere near even the provisional squad.

Expect the following to be shed:

1. Alberto Moreno
2. Juanfran
3. Juan Mata
4. Iturraspe
5. Torres
6. Negredo
7. Thiago/Cazorla

Likely starting line-up? I'll go for:

Casillas
Azpilcueta Ramos Pique Alba
Busquets
Xavi      Alonso
Pedro                 Iniesta
Diego Costa

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 May 2014, 12:28 pm

Juanfran, Iturraspe, Negredo, Cazorla are definite drop-outs.

Think with Torres is, Del Bosque loves him, trusts him & Torres has never let him down & scored in recent finals. I can see Villa being dropped.

If I'm honest, I don't see that side winning the WC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 13 May 2014, 12:35 pm

I can see Villa dropped as well, hasn't cemented his place in Atletico's side this year but if I was picking, I would rather have Villa in my side than Torres. He is more versatile and has been a better player for the past five.

I was looking at that squad and thinking it's certainly not as scary as it has been in the past, a midfield of Xavi, Alonso and Busquets lacks legs so any team with pace on the counter attack like Brazil for example are going to cause them real problems. Attacking wise, despite his fantastic year I am not sold on Costa, so Spain lack a real top quality forward, or at least one who fits their system. 

Despite that I still think you will be hard pressed to find a better squad going into the World Cup, and perhaps crucially a squad that knows each others game better than most, that is basically the same team from 2008 onwards and while Xavi and Alonso are older, I'd still say that the squad's experience at unprecedented success in international tournaments mean they should still be considered the favourites.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 13 May 2014, 5:52 pm

Spain should win. Never know what you will get with Holland and Chile have looked good in recent friendlies.
Austrailia to be the group (and possibly tournament's) whipping boys.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by LastDamnation Tue 13 May 2014, 6:35 pm

Juanfran is quality, I'd start him at RB

LastDamnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 13 May 2014, 8:18 pm

LEROY LEROY LEROY

In the Dutch squad
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Wed 14 May 2014, 12:27 am

Dutch squad is terrible, just made up of Eredivisie players and notable others, their defense is extremely weak, Van Der Wiel and Van Dijk should have at least been in the squad. They'll be relying heavily on guys like Robben,Rvp and Huntelaar.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Wed 14 May 2014, 1:01 am

monty junior wrote:Dutch squad is terrible, just made up of Eredivisie players and notable others, their defense is extremely weak, Van Der Wiel and Van Dijk should have at least been in the squad. They'll be relying heavily on guys like Robben,Rvp and Huntelaar.

Chile should knock them out with their pace up top

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Wed 14 May 2014, 1:08 am

Yup, i watched the Germany game and despite the scoreline they completely dominated and over ran the German defense. Which is a much better defense than the Dutch.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Wed 14 May 2014, 6:47 pm

monty junior wrote:Dutch squad is terrible, just made up of Eredivisie players and notable others, their defense is extremely weak, Van Der Wiel and Van Dijk should have at least been in the squad. They'll be relying heavily on guys like Robben,Rvp and Huntelaar.

Can't see them playing RVP and Huntelaar together. Agree with you though that it looks like the weakest Dutch squad in years.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 14 May 2014, 9:42 pm

Thiago out of WC with injury.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 15 May 2014, 11:20 am

Who can possibly fill his position in the centre of midfield for Spain? They will struggle.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 May 2014, 12:40 am

Sick goal tonight by RVP, great service too by Jordy Clasie (talent). This group is going to be tasty.

Will Xavi even start at this WC, if I was VDB, I'd drop him.

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 20 May 2014, 9:39 pm

John wrote:Sick goal tonight by RVP, great service too by Jordy Clasie (talent). This group is going to be tasty.

Will Xavi even start at this WC, if I was VDB, I'd drop him.

Just saw RVP's goal. What technique!

https://vine.co/v/MXY01IOJAAL

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt N. Jurqa Wed 21 May 2014, 2:24 pm

Van Der Wiel still lives on his rise to fame from a number of seasons ago that he's never really re-captured and has had a knee injury of late and Janmaat is a more than adequate replacement for him. Strootman missing is the big loss for Netherlands.

Kurt N. Jurqa

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 28 May 2014, 1:34 pm

Van der Vaart out of the World Cup with injury.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 31 May 2014, 1:34 pm

Olly wrote:LEROY LEROY LEROY

In the Dutch squad
HES MADE IT!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 31 May 2014, 2:08 pm

The Dutch really arent what they used to be

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt N. Jurqa Sat 31 May 2014, 3:26 pm

I'd have liked to have seen more of the youngsters in the squad, Van Aanholt should have gone and I think Chelsea could do far worse than recall him for next season. Vilhena in CM is class as is Maher, Promes and Boetius.
Quite disappointed that VG has gone for age over a real wealth of young talent currently in the Dutch leagues. I suppose it's a World Cup too early but can see them really challenging in 4 years time.

Kurt N. Jurqa

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 13 Jun 2014, 9:20 pm

Hero wrote:I'm going for a Netherlands shock group win, although I think Spain will get further.

1. Netherlands
2. Spain
3. Chile
4. Australia

Wink

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 13 Jun 2014, 11:27 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:The Dutch really arent what they used to be

Better then?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 13 Jun 2014, 11:31 pm

One game does not a tournament make young man
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 13 Jun 2014, 11:36 pm

Hero wrote:

Better then?

As Olly said. I've seen Sam play more positive line ups than that

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 13 Jun 2014, 11:50 pm

Do I expect them to win the tournament? No.
Did I write them off before tournament? No.

My only concern was LVG didn't bring more of the emerging players from Eredivisie in place of some of the squad players as Id have liked to have seen the likes of Vilhena, Boetius and Promes given a run out. Blind doubled his value tonight and can see LVG looking to acquire him over Luke Shaw now at LB.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 14 Jun 2014, 12:23 am

I havent written them off, but this is by no means a classic Dutch side.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 14 Jun 2014, 12:46 am

Spain will now drop casillas who was absolutely terrible, alonso/iniesta/xavi for fabregas and koke.

If del bosque has balls this could be Spain's most important result ever.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sat 14 Jun 2014, 12:47 pm

Hero wrote:My only concern was LVG didn't bring more of the emerging players from Eredivisie in place of some of the squad players
I don't know, most of the talent in the Eredivisie is at least a year off being ready for the top imo.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sat 14 Jun 2014, 1:00 pm

Entirely Eredivirse based back line including keeper last night, seemed to do alright.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 14 Jun 2014, 1:05 pm

They were alright, although really Spain should've scored 3 with horrid misses from Silva and the goal machine Fernando himself
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 14 Jun 2014, 1:22 pm

I'd drop Busquets, personally. Three of the goals came in transition, more to the point, came because the transition was so swift - Holding midfielders are supposed to stop that from happening. In the modern game, with ten guys clogging up a midfield - defences can be brutalized if the midfield doesn't buy them time to setup
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 14 Jun 2014, 1:31 pm

kingraf wrote:I'd drop Busquets, personally. Three of the goals came in transition, more to the point, came because the transition was so swift - Holding midfielders are supposed to stop that from happening. In the modern game, with ten guys clogging up a midfield - defences can be brutalized if the midfield doesn't buy them time to setup
I'd concur with this, and was shocked when Alonso was withdrawn instead of him yesterday
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sat 14 Jun 2014, 2:56 pm

Hero wrote:Entirely Eredivirse based back line including keeper last night, seemed to do alright.
I know they're young and not as competitive as they used to be, but actually Aston Villa is still a Premier League team.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 15 Jun 2014, 12:14 pm

Think Del Bosque has to react to this result, Casillas has to be dropped, he showed exactly why he hadn't been playing all year for Real Madrid. It's a shame as he was a fantastic goalkeeper, but I just think he may have lost it. Start De Gea, he'll be the goalkeeper for the next ten years.

Think Del Bosque would also be wise dropping Cesar Azpilicueta who had an awful game for Juanfran who has been fantastic all year. Diego Costa should be dropped as well for either Villa or Fabregas as he was poor and I think slowed down the Spanish way. I would also consider dropping Busquets but that is unlikely to happen.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 15 Jun 2014, 1:15 pm

I'd be dragging out Busquets, Casillas and Costa. Costa did make some good runs but he kind of plods along.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 16 Jun 2014, 11:05 am

De Gea injured, I would still drop Casillas for Reina, but think that drastically increases the chances that Casillas will still start.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 18 Jun 2014, 6:54 pm

Hero wrote:

Better then?

Pardon?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 18 Jun 2014, 7:02 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
Hero wrote:

Better then?

Pardon?

Didn't play well, still won. What any decent side needs to do and has been the reason so many sides win league titles over the years.
Played two, won two, scored eight goals and have 6 points, having put 5 goals past the nation that's won the three last major tournaments, yeah they're in the mire.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 18 Jun 2014, 7:04 pm

And the two goals they conceded today, one a Worldie, one a penalty that never should have been, can't do anything against either of them.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next