The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

+30
Artful_Dodger
aucklandlaurie
poissonrouge
Breadvan
Cymroglan
KiaRose
Mrs Penfro
Feckless Rogue
OnASideNote
Gibson
Pal Joey
Rava
The_Hound_of_Harrow
Ozzy3213
rodders
WillyGilly
Thomond
MBTGOG
Cari
Notch
Mickado
prop_lyd
Glas a du
greybeard
red_stag
PenfroPete
Luckless Pedestrian
nottins
Adam D
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
34 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 2 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2011, 6:58 am

First topic message reminder :

Welcome to the virtual rugby pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the Tommy Bowe photo on the bar. That's a banning offence

So pull up a chair....what'll it be?

Ale

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 2 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by rodders Fri 05 Aug 2011, 11:21 am

WillyGilly wrote:Good to see the media aren't scaremongering this latest financial crisis.

This isn't a crisis Willy. It's armaggedon!!!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 2 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by MBTGOG Fri 05 Aug 2011, 11:51 am

Thomond,

For when you come in next, I know you've quite a bit of Irish soccer knowledge. My question to you is who are the 5 best young players coming through. Let's say 23 and under.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 05 Aug 2011, 11:51 am

One man's crisis is another man's opportunity.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 05 Aug 2011, 11:54 am

Munsty,

Dave Meyler
John Egan(his dad played football with Kerry, and the lad himself was captain of the Irish u-19s and played on Cork's football and hurling teams)
James McCarthy
James O'Brien.
Conor Clifford
Conor Henderson

JOB is only 17 so he could easily fall out of the game.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:04 pm

Cheers Thomond. Will have to check some of those guys out.

What do you think of players like Ciarán Clark, Seamus Coleman, Marc Wilson and Shane Duffy?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:10 pm

There is probably more promising talent coming out of Ireland now then there has been for a long time,Coleman is a class act and I was disappointed Cork City didn't sing him from Sligo a few years back. Sean Scannell with Crystal Palace could be one to watch only 20 but has over 100 appearances for them he hasn't delivered on his potential though. Meyler is an ex Cork City player who ousted 2 Irish internationals to get game time for City before leaving. Clark looks a capable defensive mid and could very well be Richard Dunne's replacement. Watch out for Conor Hourihane too.

I don't think a lot of this talent will succeed with Trap at the helm.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:19 pm

There is a lot of talent but how are we doing for strikers? Are we going to struggle when Keane finally goes? I know he's not young but what do you make of Jon Walters?

I agree on Trap. I was talking with a friend about him yesterday and say that I really hate the brand of football we play with him at the helm. The only people he really helps are English guys trying to get themselves into the shop window.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:20 pm

Serious question. Would you rather play a better style of soccer if it meant worse results?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:21 pm

I'm going to post an odd youtube video. It's not safe for work! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li9Y0xpQ8j

Long is promising as is that fella from the U-19s O'Connor. Jon Walters is a work horworse but won't get the goals. Kevin Doyle is a superb player but the way we play leaves him with few chances,he does most of the work for Keane.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:27 pm

red_stag wrote:Serious question. Would you rather play a better style of soccer if it meant worse results?

If it means we are developing then yes. Trappatoni is an expensive guy who is there to help this generation get their last chance of a major competition. If we start losing, there is so much to fix with this side.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:29 pm

Thomond wrote: I'm going to post an odd youtube video. It's not safe for work! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li9Y0xpQ8j

Long is promising as is that fella from the U-19s O'Connor. Jon Walters is a work horworse but won't get the goals. Kevin Doyle is a superb player but the way we play leaves him with few chances,he does most of the work for Keane.

To be fair to Walters, he got 12 goals this past season which is pretty good. An Irish striker scoring that many for a top division team must be in the equation.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:30 pm

Stag, we are capable of better results than we're getting in some games. We could have beaten Slovakia over there if we didn't go ultra defensive.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:37 pm

That's definitely the biggest bug bear. That game against Bulgaria away in the WC qualifying game when we were winning, then drew the game and the players celebrated.

What a lack of ambition. That is instilled by the manager.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:46 pm

Don't talk about a lack of ambition/bad managers etc. We have a stinker up here at the moment who needs to be put out to dry.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:51 pm

Willy,a bad enough crop of players isn't exactly helping either.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:54 pm

They should just get it over with and put out a United Ireland team. This two team approach is senseless when it comes to competing at the highest level. Plus the eligibility rules where you can opt to play for either side anyway make it even more divisive than it needs to be.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 05 Aug 2011, 1:52 pm

Notch,

I agree but there are a lot of very vocal people who don't.

Sevens on now. Watching this before I head out later.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Fri 05 Aug 2011, 1:56 pm

Can't never see that happening Notch. Not saying it shouldn't be an option. But never in our lifetimes.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 05 Aug 2011, 2:22 pm

Do you think it would be any less divisive if they had one team? Too many nordies, too many southies, too many Hindus, etc...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Fri 05 Aug 2011, 2:31 pm

Without wanting to stereotype or offend (and I say that knowing I'm going on to do so), I think the football crowd are different in Ireland when it comes to the rugby crowd. Look at the Celtic/Rangers allegiances. I hesitate to say it's a class thing but...
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 05 Aug 2011, 2:38 pm

Do you try change attitudes or just leave themselves to themselves?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Fri 05 Aug 2011, 2:54 pm

Personally I think time is needed to change attitudes. By all means help it along, cross community projects, showing that devolution can work etc. Ultimately you can only force someone to change so far, and for all the positive changes we've had over the last decade or so there's still a lot of bitterness about. Sport doesn't change that, in fact where football is concerned it amplifies it.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:00 pm

Away out on the lash now for a friends second 21st birthday (she had her first last year). Apologies in advance if I stumble in here at some ungodly hour and grope about for the light switch.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:22 pm

And whilst we have one international team that is supported by one community in the North, and another for the other community that will never change Willy Sad

The way international football is set up in Ireland is set up ensures division.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:27 pm

how is it that the thread out side for a 'short debate' on Ireland's centres, has now carried on for 3 pages? How do you all talk so much?!

And evening all cider having a lovely relaxing evening watching the athletics.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:31 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:how is it that the thread out side for a 'short debate' on Ireland's centres, has now carried on for 3 pages? How do you all talk so much?!

We're Irish.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:38 pm

Notch wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:how is it that the thread out side for a 'short debate' on Ireland's centres, has now carried on for 3 pages? How do you all talk so much?!

We're Irish.

laughing

Good answer Notch
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:45 pm

How camp is this athlete with the dreads?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:54 pm

Notch wrote:

We're Irish.

Only after moving to Chester did I realise how much us Irish talked.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2011, 3:56 pm

I know, but some people say the Welsh can talk but you guys really put us to shame. It's a bit mental really.

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 05 Aug 2011, 4:05 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I know, but some people say the Welsh can talk but you guys really put us to shame. It's a bit mental really.

Well I suppose we come from a place that has relatively little to talk about so we know how to chat ad nauseum about minor topics.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 05 Aug 2011, 4:07 pm

Merlene Ottey!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2011, 4:20 pm

I love her Glas, can't believe she's still doing the 100m (even if it is the relay), when she's 51!! Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2011, 4:52 pm

Who's round is it?

Just to let you know that we will be putting the chat box on tomorrow for the matches. (it will be right at the bottom of the forum home page)

Hope to see you there guys!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 4:55 pm

Can't believe I am working between 0700 and 1800 tomorrow so will miss all four matches that are on the TV. The wife is going metal that I have put them all in the Sky Planner to record!!!
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2011, 5:00 pm

If she is going mental now, what will she be like when the RWC starts? Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 05 Aug 2011, 5:10 pm

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cork City 4 Shelbourne 1. Happy days biy!

2 things: Is the kickoff for the NZ match half 7 or half eight? Also is the chat box on for this?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 5:15 pm

I might have to bribe her with some spa days during the World Cup Y I Man! laughing
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 05 Aug 2011, 5:16 pm

Instead of a Spar day, try Co-op instead. The food is slightly cheaper OK

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2011, 5:17 pm

Thom - Penfro's got it for 8:30 on his TV guide and he's pretty much always right Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2011, 5:18 pm

Best way Pete. Bribery will get you anything! (just ask Hobo)
Thomond, I think its a 8.30am kick off due to the show starting at 8am on Sky.

I'll pop the chat box on for it OK
(not sure if I'll be on the box for the match itself though)

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 05 Aug 2011, 5:18 pm

Thank Gof for that,didn't fancy getting up at half 7!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 5:19 pm

You're not wrong Hobo, I got 2 packs of bacon for 29 pence in the Co-op earlier, got to love the orange stickers! Wink
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 05 Aug 2011, 5:20 pm

Pete,if I were you I wouldn't eat that bacon!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 05 Aug 2011, 5:31 pm

Our co op reduces everything out of date at 8pm to 10p

Flowers are the best - I have come back with 7 bunches for 70p before now. The only down side is the stickers dont come off the flower packets easily so I am always rumbled!

ANyway - reminder - if you havent joined the premiership prediction league already, please do;

http://www.sportguru.co.uk/premierleague/pool.asp?p=10009409

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2011, 5:46 pm

NZ game is 08:30 tomorrow. Programme starts at 8. Bit of that, more pre-season training and then time for a few pints watching England v Wales and Wigan v St Helens in RL. Think I've Sky plussed Scotland v Ireland for later.

Not too shabby a day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 05 Aug 2011, 5:52 pm

I forgot about Scotland v Ireland, will need to Sky+ that as well, or will it be on the iPlayer? That might be better, save space in the Sky planner.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 05 Aug 2011, 6:13 pm

U2 at the BBC on telly now Smile Fine start to the weekend if I do say so meself.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Hound_of_Harrow Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:21 pm

My mate got a job Yay!!..he starts on Monday. Yahoo

He's been unemployed since 31/03/2010. We have been celebrating....hic Ale Ale Ale Ale Ale Ale

Very happy for him...He's such a nice bloke thumbsup

OK, it's not rugby, but I thought I would share this news. He's such a nice bloke

Very Happy

The_Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 06 Aug 2011, 2:08 am

Harlequin supporter, is he?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next