The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

nobodys in a rush anymore

5 posters

Go down

nobodys in a rush anymore Empty nobodys in a rush anymore

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:04 pm

i have stated before that it annoys me that fighter seem to fight less and less frequently. this is happening all over the world, in every weight division, with only a few exceptions.

imo one of the worst offending weight divisions is the heavyweights, and with wlad and vitali #1 and #2, and so far infront of everybody else even the number 1 contenders need drastic improvements to their game to have a chance of winning, i would have thought it would be the division where the new guys are desperate to shine and prove thereselves, but alas that seems not to be the case. a few examples:-

alexander povetkin- fair enough he was a decent match arranged now, and has some personal issues last year, but he went of the radar for several months without much noise.
mike perez- won prizefighter at a canter, knocking out 2 people, including a 52 second KO over big tye "sky" fields. he is underfeated, yet no follow up fight has been arranged, a breif mention of him facing harrison, which seems to have vanished in the wind.
olander solis- look impressive (breifly) against vitali, many said was winning the round until a knee injury forced him to pull out, no word or update on the injury, or any crys for a rematch.
david price- won on his last outing, but a hollow victory as his opponent stepped in at 2 days notice, the fight hardly got going before a 2nd round KO, he has no arranged fight coming up and seems very quiet in trying to secure the winner of chisora/fury (who he is mandatory challenger for).
tom dallas- another decent domestic level fighter, was KO'd by price in his last fight, but only took it on at 2 days notice, so can be forgiven. he was no upcoming fight and you would expect him to be chewing at the bit to get in there and gain his place along the other domestic hopefuls, but it seems not.

could this lack on desire and lack of ambition be the reason the heavyweight division is stuggling at the moment?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

nobodys in a rush anymore Empty Re: nobodys in a rush anymore

Post by Union Cane Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:06 pm

Chris Arreola blows your argument right out of the water.

4 fights so far this year, and its only July.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:06 pm

Price is fighting McDermott.
Perez is on holiday
Povetkin is having his career ruined by Atlas.
Solis had a bad injury.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:08 pm

'undefeated'

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:12 pm

Scottrf wrote:Price is fighting McDermott.
Perez is on holiday
Povetkin is having his career ruined by Atlas.
Solis had a bad injury.

when? is they fight confirmed? the fight with mccdermott was cancelled and dallas was a replacement, that fight was a british title eliminator, he hasnt come forward to challange fury, even though he is probably the best domestic rival out of the bunch.

perez is on holiday? since the beginning of may? if he would have fought straight away he could be in title contension by now.

povetkin i was referring to more last year than this

solis, yeah but there has been no news, updates or anything, many people have forgotten him by now and more than likely the chance for a rematch has gone.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:13 pm

Fury and Chisora have just scrapped, Rogan potentially end of year against Fury, Povetkin is penned in for Chagaev, Price fighting McDermott in October i believe, Solis is injured with a torn leg muscle, Arreola has fought loads as has Adamek.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:13 pm

Union Cane wrote:Chris Arreola blows your argument right out of the water.

4 fights so far this year, and its only July.

he is an exception, so is richard towers

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:16 pm

d260005p wrote:Fury and Chisora have just scrapped, Rogan potentially end of year against Fury, Povetkin is penned in for Chagaev, Price fighting McDermott in October i believe, Solis is injured with a torn leg muscle, Arreola has fought loads as has Adamek.

adamek hasnt fought loads, he's fought once this year in what was basically a warm up match against mcbride, so unless he has another fighter after vitali, he will only have fought twice this year.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:17 pm

Roger that! But saying that, most world champs or top contenders only seem to fight twice a year, 3 at most which is frustrating so say the least!

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:20 pm

Eubanks 12 fights in a year puts the modern guys to shame.

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:21 pm

i know and for guys like adamek who have worked up to the title shot its not to bad, but when your struggling to make a name for yourself and trying to outshine the other contenders (ie price, perez, dallas etc) and only fighting 2-3 times a year then i wonder what you can hope to acheive. arreola has fought 4 times already (as stated) and lost over 20lbs, he claims to be re-dedicated and it shows. where as who would consider offering dallas or perez any kind of oppertunity?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:21 pm

alma wrote:I think it might be nore to do with economic conditions meaning less shows are happening. That's an educated guess

posible, but other guys are managing it

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:28 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:
alma wrote:I think it might be nore to do with economic conditions meaning less shows are happening. That's an educated guess

posible, but other guys are managing it
Guys who can move tickets, normally based around their ethnicity. It's hard to run a show in profit, most promoters just don't have the dates.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:37 pm

i just think there is a general lack of desire in the heavyweight division. if you look at chisora fury, both had 15 fights. mike tyson fought 15 times in a year from turning pro- that the kind of dedication need to be a true great, and it seems lacking in most modern day fighters

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down