The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 most overrated premier league footballers

+35
GillesSimon
sharrison01
Dx Dan.
John Cregan
paulscholes
The_Essence_of_Excellence
jimbohammers
KDS128
aja424
ian_jamsie
Liam_Main
Nay
Davie
az1988
Breadvan
Tranquil Chaos
Crimey
dummy_half
monty junior
AberdeenSteve
Small Time
Kenny
dublfcynwa
Barney92
sportform
Gregers
Beer
fantantonio
sodhat
super_realist
d260005p
liverbnz
custart
JDandfries
Soldier_Of_Fortune
39 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

10 most overrated premier league footballers - Page 2 Empty 10 most overrated premier league footballers

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:47 am

First topic message reminder :

I have done underrated, now what are 10 most overrated premier league footballers? Here's mine let me know what u think or make your own

btw its not in order

1)Christain Poulsen

2)Marior Balotelli

3)Peter Lovenkrands

4)Jason Roberts

5)Nigel Reo-Coker

6)Joey Barton

7)Ledley King

8)Paul Robinson

9)Rafael

10)Kevin Davies

Back to top Go down

10 most overrated premier league footballers - Page 2 Empty Re: 10 most overrated premier league footballers

Post by super_realist Fri 29 Jul 2011, 8:00 am

Monty, I bet if he was English though he'd somehow be worth £50m, ditto Ramsey.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

10 most overrated premier league footballers - Page 2 Empty Re: 10 most overrated premier league footballers

Post by dummy_half Fri 29 Jul 2011, 8:41 am

Any list of over-rated or over-hyped players that does not have John Terry awy and clear at the top isn't worth reading - 'determined' defending (i.e. throwing yourself into rash challenges out of position on the field) is not good enough for a supposedly world class player.

Agree that a lot of the over-rated players are English or at least those who came through the English system (Bale certainly got a lot of hype for the first half of last season - let's see how he goes for the next couple of years before we decide he's the Messiah or just a very naughty boy).

Surprised more haven't named Rooney - yes, he's a talented player but the hype he gets would suggest he's in the top 3 or so players in the world.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:13 am

dummy_half wrote:Any list of over-rated or over-hyped players that does not have John Terry awy and clear at the top isn't worth reading - 'determined' defending (i.e. throwing yourself into rash challenges out of position on the field) is not good enough for a supposedly world class player.

Agree that a lot of the over-rated players are English or at least those who came through the English system (Bale certainly got a lot of hype for the first half of last season - let's see how he goes for the next couple of years before we decide he's the Messiah or just a very naughty boy).

Surprised more haven't named Rooney - yes, he's a talented player but the hype he gets would suggest he's in the top 3 or so players in the world.

I'd agree that quite a few people put Rooney on too high a pedestal, but I wouldn't call him overrated, because he still has bags of undeniable ability. I'd say the most overrated Englishmen are Lampard, Terry and Barry (not an exhaustive list, of course).

Bale needs to prove himself over a period of time, I agree. He seems a little injury prone which is a shame if it halts his progress as most of his ability is in his dribbling and pace to take people on.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 29 Jul 2011, 1:05 pm

1. John Terry

2. Rio Ferdinand

3. Gareth Bale

4. Jack Wilshere

5. Gareth Barry

6. Robin Van Persie

7. Christopher Samba

8. Jermain Defoe

9. Scott Parker

10. Adam Johnson

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:08 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:1. John Terry

2. Rio Ferdinand

3. Gareth Bale

4. Jack Wilshere

5. Gareth Barry

6. Robin Van Persie

7. Christopher Samba

8. Jermain Defoe

9. Scott Parker

10. Adam Johnson

HAH! What? Is this a urine take?

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jul 2011, 2:46 pm

d260005p wrote:HAH! What? Is this a urine take?

Fast becoming one of the least intelligent posters on the forum. Try adding something constructive as to why you disagree; any idiot could mock someones ideas, but takes a bit more to disagree with good reasons.

Will be interesting to see whether the media turn on Dzeko and Chamakh if they don't come good this season. As I said before Chamkh got a fair few goals, but will have limited chances this season if everyone stays fit. Dzeko will have an even tougher challenge if Tevez doesn't leave, being third down the line for a starting striker role.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 29 Jul 2011, 3:55 pm

d260005p wrote:
invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:1. John Terry

2. Rio Ferdinand

3. Gareth Bale

4. Jack Wilshere

5. Gareth Barry

6. Robin Van Persie

7. Christopher Samba

8. Jermain Defoe

9. Scott Parker

10. Adam Johnson

HAH! What? Is this a urine take?

Go on, explain what is wrong with my choices, I'll happily defend them.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:04 pm

FreekShow wrote:
Churchill wrote:
Small Time wrote:Strange to see that £35 million pound man Andy Carroll hasn't been mentioned.

Probably because in his first season as a starting striker he managed to net 13 games, a goal to game ratio of 1:2 and was widely regarded as one of Newcastle's best players of the season up until he left.

There is also a big difference between an overrated player and an overpriced one.

I beg to differ. A poorly rated player eg Wayne Routledge has a price tag of £1.75ish million........a highly rated player eg Andy Carroll has a price tag of £35 million.

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Tranquil Chaos Fri 29 Jul 2011, 4:47 pm

i wouldnt say gerrard is overrated, you would struggle to find a liverpool fan who thinks hes done well in the past couple of seasons, and if he misses the start of the season, he could well struggle to get back into the team (especially if meireles stays)

anyway onto my 10 (in no particular order)

Rio Ferdinand
John Flanagan (dunno outside of liverpool fans, but certainly amongst us there is a bit too much hype for him)
Alex Song
Petr Cech
Kolo Toure
Jermaine Defoe
Jack Rodwell
Brede Hangeland
Lee Cattermole
Adel Taraabt (may be a bit premature, since he has minimal experience in the top flight, but defiantely not worth the money they are likely to want for him)
Tranquil Chaos
Tranquil Chaos

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jul 2011, 5:15 pm

Small Time wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Churchill wrote:
Small Time wrote:Strange to see that £35 million pound man Andy Carroll hasn't been mentioned.

Probably because in his first season as a starting striker he managed to net 13 games, a goal to game ratio of 1:2 and was widely regarded as one of Newcastle's best players of the season up until he left.

There is also a big difference between an overrated player and an overpriced one.

I beg to differ. A poorly rated player eg Wayne Routledge has a price tag of £1.75ish million........a highly rated player eg Andy Carroll has a price tag of £35 million.

Sol Campbell cost Arsenal nothing. Was he a poorly rated player then? By mentioning Carroll's price tag you suggested he is overrated by that alone...unless you wish to elaborate a bit more?

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Fri 29 Jul 2011, 7:04 pm

FreekShow wrote:
Small Time wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
Churchill wrote:

Sol Campbell cost Arsenal nothing. Was he a poorly rated player then? By mentioning Carroll's price tag you suggested he is overrated by that alone...unless you wish to elaborate a bit more?

Due to him being out of contract so surely not the same thing? Let me in turn ask you a question......do you think Andy Carrolls ability demands a transfer fee of £35 million? He cost the same as David Villa, do you think he has as much talent as Villa?

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jul 2011, 7:18 pm

Small time, of course he is not anyway near Villa ability wise at this point in time but then Villa was hardly pulling up any trees in his early twenties either.

I agree that Liverpool paid well over the odds for him but a) it's hardly his fault and b) it's way to early to judge him and have him tagged as overratted.

Fernando Torres cost Chelsea 50 million so is he better than Villa then going by your logic?

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Fri 29 Jul 2011, 7:36 pm

FreekShow wrote:Small time, of course he is not anyway near Villa ability wise at this point in time but then Villa was hardly pulling up any trees in his early twenties either.

I agree that Liverpool paid well over the odds for him but a) it's hardly his fault and b) it's way to early to judge him and have him tagged as overratted.

Fernando Torres cost Chelsea 50 million so is he better than Villa then going by your logic?

In my opinion, when both players are on song, yes Torres is the better of the two. Just to clarify point b) how old does a player need to be before he can be called over rated? And point a) what does that have to do with anything? Cheers

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jul 2011, 7:40 pm

You brought up the issue of price tags having a bearing and it's hardly Carrolls fault he cost what he did. Simple really. Cheers back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Fri 29 Jul 2011, 8:38 pm

We're probably going to have to agree to disagree mate but for me but he's the leading forward at Liverpool so thats got to mean his rated highly.

Anyway, for me the most over rated player in the Premiership today is Luca Modric.......I'm not buying into Harry Redknapp and his "he's one of the top men in the premiership" speech........He's light weight so knocked off the ball to easy, not particulary quick, isn't the type of player to dribble through a defence, his defence splitting passes are few and far between and when defending is all over the place..........oh and he tends to go missing when the going gets tough.

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:34 pm

Modric is a very good shout.

Spurs seems to overrate quite a lot of their players.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:45 pm

I am alone in thinking Patrice Evra is a tad overrated? Never quite got his billing myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat 30 Jul 2011, 11:27 am

Nani
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by az1988 Sat 30 Jul 2011, 1:50 pm

Andy Carroll
Aaron Lennon
Van Persie

az1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Sat 30 Jul 2011, 4:37 pm

FreekShow wrote:I am alone in thinking Patrice Evra is a tad overrated? Never quite got his billing myself.

No your not, good going forward, tends to sell himself to easily while defending.

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:03 pm

evra isnt overrated i dont think

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:12 pm

I much prefer to think of the word "overrated" in its true and literal sense - i.e. someone who isn't as good as the media and fans generally rate them.

This needn't necessarily mean they are bad players, just not as good as the hype surrounding them.

Therefore, on that basis I name the following... (including one or two that may pre-date the Premiership days, but who were all "overrated" in the sense to which I refer)

Ryan Giggs
Steven Gerrard
Joe Cole
Glenn Hoddle
Chris Waddle
Wayne Rooney
Ledley King
Neil Milner
Michael Carrick
Gary Neville
Luis Figo
John Barnes
Jamie Carragher
Robin Van Persie
Rio Ferdinand

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:17 pm

I much prefer to think of the word "overrated" in its true and literal sense - i.e. someone who isn't as good as the media and fans generally rate them.

This needn't necessarily mean they are bad players, just not as good as the hype surrounding them.

That's how I decided as well.

I like Adam Johnson, but I think he could be the next Joe Cole where people constantly say he's the missing link of the England side, despite the fact he's not as good as people like to make him out to be. IMO there is a reason he struggles to get into the Man City side; he's just not as good as people think.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:19 pm

i would add

Andrei Arshavin
Robbie Keane

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:02 am

Are Poulsen and Reo-Coker even rated highly?

Strongly disagree with Barton last year he had a terrific season and as a Newcastle fan I will be very sad to see him go
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Wed 03 Aug 2011, 12:33 pm

Scott Parker (Writers player of the year) and Gareth Bale (Player of the year). Both injured for a lot of the season and didn't exactly shine in every game.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:56 pm

Gareth Barry- Can remember in the world cup when he was fit for the final group game I think it was, some of the tabloids doing a whole page spread how he was the silent and unsung hero of the team, and how our world cup starts here, now that he is fit.LMFAO
Lampard-My nan could score a shot from just outside the box every other game if world class players surrounding her gave her 20 opportunities a game to have a clear shot.
Walcott- Fast as *'#k but so was Daley Thomson.
Heskey-Granted that he was only ever rated by England managers, but still.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 4:11 pm

aja424 wrote:Walcott- Fast as *'#k but so was Daley Thomson.

So Walcott should quit football, get into athletics and he'd win several Olympic medals? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 9:09 pm

walcott isnt overrated!

Back to top Go down

Post by KDS128 Wed 03 Aug 2011, 9:17 pm

I had originally thought that when sergio aguero was signed for around 40 million that that was way overpriced, so i did some roaming on youtube and found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnSQOKfa16A

Anyway in no particular order.

Gareth Barry
Joleon Lescott
Jordan Henderson
Charlie Adam
Gary Cahill
Darren Bent
Phil Jones
Nani
Jamie Carragher
Andy Carrol
Bonus One:
Fernando Torres (For His Price Obviously 🤦 )

Last edited by KDS128 on Wed 03 Aug 2011, 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Had To add the way onto my any)

KDS128

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 03 Aug 2011, 10:11 pm

Who do you support btw KDS?

I agree about Gary Cahill, there are a lot of better centre backs in the league right now compared to him.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed 03 Aug 2011, 10:14 pm

KDS128 wrote:I had originally thought that when sergio aguero was signed for around 40 million that that was way overpriced, so i did some roaming on youtube and found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnSQOKfa16A

Anyway in no particular order.

Gareth Barry
Joleon Lescott
Jordan Henderson
Charlie Adam
Gary Cahill
Darren Bent
Phil Jones
Nani
Jamie Carragher
Andy Carrol
Bonus One:
Fernando Torres (For His Price Obviously 🤦 )

Good shout on Phil Jones I mean really is he worth 16 million? One alright season at Blackburn and suddenly he's one of the most talked about defenders in the league.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by KDS128 Wed 03 Aug 2011, 10:21 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:Who do you support btw KDS?

I agree about Gary Cahill, there are a lot of better centre backs in the league right now compared to him.
Im An arsenal supporter, i had the urge to mention nasri but my heart told me no!! Whistle

KDS128

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:36 am

that dosent mean that cahill is overrated, it means people think he is a very good player which he is

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:51 am

Jordan Henderson, Gerth Barry, Shawcross,

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:02 am

Who still rates the likes of Henderson, Barry and Lescott though?

Didn't Jones also play most of his games for Blackburn in midfield as well? It seems whenever someone like that players for England youth the press back them as the next ball playing defender for England (Jones and Rodwell spring to mind).

Does anyone know the name of the 1st song in that Aguero video? OK

Back to top Go down

Post by KDS128 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:18 am

Churchill wrote:Who still rates the likes of Henderson, Barry and Lescott though?

Didn't Jones also play most of his games for Blackburn in midfield as well? It seems whenever someone like that players for England youth the press back them as the next ball playing defender for England (Jones and Rodwell spring to mind).

Its Power by kanye west.
I thought that judging by how lescott, henderson and barry all have places in the england squad that they may be considered better than they are, and you also have to look at their price tags too

KDS128

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Essence_of_Excellence Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:33 am

As a neutral Palace fan I would say the my 10 most over rated players in no order are:

- Chamakh
- Jonny Evans
- Ramires
- Tiote
- Kalou
- Barry
- Charlie Adam
- Bale
- Arshavin
- Micah Richards

The_Essence_of_Excellence

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:36 am

KDS128 wrote:
Churchill wrote:Who still rates the likes of Henderson, Barry and Lescott though?

Its Power by kanye west.
I thought that judging by how lescott, henderson and barry all have places in the england squad that they may be considered better than they are, and you also have to look at their price tags too

Ah, thank you! Very Happy

Hmm, it's mad to think that most of the players we all think are over rated seem to be English. The future of the national team must be so bright Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:11 pm

that dosent mean that cahill is overrated, it means people think he is a very good player which he is

I will say again, just because I think somebody is overrated doesn't mean I don't think they're good players, it just means that people overrate him, they think and say he's better than he really is, not that he isn't good at all.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paulscholes Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:42 pm

1 Jack Wilshere
2 Bale
3 Jagielka
4 Barry
5 De Jong
6 L.King
7 Henderson
8 G Cahill
9 Adam
10 Arshavin

paulscholes

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:47 pm

Wayne Bridge
Gael Clichy
Nigel de Jong
Gareth Barry
Fellani
Scott Parker
Edin Dzeco
Bacary Sagna

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dx Dan. Sun 07 Aug 2011, 8:36 pm

In no particular order:

1. Andy Carroll.

Dx Dan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 8:38 pm

yup agree

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sun 07 Aug 2011, 10:20 pm

Anderson for Man U

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 10:29 pm

How long before we can include David de Gea bearing in mind Andy Carroll seems to have made the list after a handful of matches?

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 07 Aug 2011, 10:33 pm

It really annoys me because he if was still at Newcaslte he would be on the other thread for underrated players despite the fact he's getting a lot less critical praise since his move.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 07 Aug 2011, 10:42 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:It really annoys me because he if was still at Newcaslte he would be on the other thread for underrated players despite the fact he's getting a lot less critical praise since his move.

He can't win over that certain 'section' whatever he does Leak. If he bombs next season he's a waste of money and if he bags 20+ goals it's the bare minimum considering his price tag.

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 08 Aug 2011, 2:10 pm

Are there actually any premier league players that haven't been mentioned on here?!? Please, someone actually put Ryan Giggs' name in there.

On the side issue of England players, I keep hearing that the English National team is over hyped by the media and fans alike but take Spain out of the equation and maybe a young Germany team and England are no better or worse than the rest of the international teams. Of the other so called "top teams," Argentina have coaching problems and perform just as poorly as England with some far more talented players in their squad, the French FA is in a mess and half the team are on strike/suspended for being on strike, Italy had an over achievement in '06 and before that and since are extremely poor, Brazil haven't produced a world class team for 5+ years, Holland just kick the other team to death and Portugal scraped into the '10 WC and bowed out as if they weren't even there. Would England really fear any of these teams more than they are feared? I think not.

As for over rated players, Man City seem to be a good source of causing players to be over rated, as did Chelsea a couple of years ago. Although a lot of their signings are top players, the fact that they have paid so much more than market value for them makes people assume that they should be highly rated when in reality they are just over priced. Players like Barry and Milner are solid premier league players but put a huge price tag on them and the expectations of their ability is increased, when they are simply solid premier league players.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by GillesSimon Wed 21 Sep 2011, 3:18 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:I would like to see who actually rates Poulson! And then give them a good slap.

Shouldnt overated players actually be players that are rated by some pundits? Bit of a rudey poo list.

80 odd caps for Denmark can`t be bad. Liverpool fans just had it in for him from the start because he was a Hodgson signing. Rolling Eyes

GillesSimon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next