The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 most overrated premier league footballers

+35
GillesSimon
sharrison01
Dx Dan.
John Cregan
paulscholes
The_Essence_of_Excellence
jimbohammers
KDS128
aja424
ian_jamsie
Liam_Main
Nay
Davie
az1988
Breadvan
Tranquil Chaos
Crimey
dummy_half
monty junior
AberdeenSteve
Small Time
Kenny
dublfcynwa
Barney92
sportform
Gregers
Beer
fantantonio
sodhat
super_realist
d260005p
liverbnz
custart
JDandfries
Soldier_Of_Fortune
39 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

10 most overrated premier league footballers Empty 10 most overrated premier league footballers

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:47 am

I have done underrated, now what are 10 most overrated premier league footballers? Here's mine let me know what u think or make your own

btw its not in order

1)Christain Poulsen

2)Marior Balotelli

3)Peter Lovenkrands

4)Jason Roberts

5)Nigel Reo-Coker

6)Joey Barton

7)Ledley King

8)Paul Robinson

9)Rafael

10)Kevin Davies

Back to top Go down

10 most overrated premier league footballers Empty Re: 10 most overrated premier league footballers

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:14 am

Peter Lovenkrands an't be over rated because most Newcastle fans know he's been awful for last season, but did well at a lower level. How on earth Joey Barton is on your list baffles me, I'd put Charlie Adam ahead of him. Both of them had decent seasons last season, but Barton contributed more from open play and actually put himself around the pitch.

I think it's harder to judge Rafael and Balotelli because they're still young and have time to develop. Ledley King was a top defender before his injuries, but doesn't seem to spend much time off the physio bed now.

I'd add Gael Clichy to the list.

Back to top Go down

10 most overrated premier league footballers Empty Re: 10 most overrated premier league footballers

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:17 am

I would like to see who actually rates Poulson! And then give them a good slap.

Shouldnt overated players actually be players that are rated by some pundits? Bit of a rudey poo list.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:11 pm

In no order

Terry
Lampard
Vidic
Van Persie
Lennon
Defoe
Carroll
Micah Richards
Gael Clichy
Ledley King

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by custart Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:38 pm

Michael Owen
Joe Cole
- Overrated because pundits still expect them to play like they used to in their prime.

Rafael van der Vaart
- Good player but overrated in my opinion

Marouane Fellaini
Gareth Barry

custart

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:41 pm

Christian Poulsen is hardly overrated. Most people know him to pretty poor.

Joe Cole is a great shout. Can't believe I didn't think of that one. Capello and Ancelotti didn't rate him and Mourinho even had his doubts, so I find it bizarre that the English media seem to think he's their answer to Messi. You can blame Steven Gerrard for that I suppose.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Wed 27 Jul 2011, 2:57 pm

Joe Cole
Frank Lampard
Aaron Lennon
Theo Walcott
Gareth Barry
Kolarov
Chamakh
Jaime Carragher
Denilson
Bebe

Whoever said Kevin Davies, Rafael, Paul Robinson and Joey Barton are over-rated DO NOT know anything about footy.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:03 pm

^^

Climb down from the high horse there would ya. Your opinion is no more (or less) valid than anyone elses.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:04 pm

Rio Ferdinand
Steven Gerrard
Ashley Cole
Joe Hart
Torres
Joe Cole
Stuart Downing
Lescott
John Terry
Frank Lampard

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:16 pm

liverbnz wrote:^^

Climb down from the high horse there would ya. Your opinion is no more (or less) valid than anyone elses.

Its true, how are they OVER-RATED??! Its unreal. From a footy fan as well? Its dissapointing to see things like this!

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:25 pm

Surely whether someone thinks a football player is good is subjective, therefore no one can be right or wrong as it's down to the individuals opinion and evaluation of the player?

I wouldn't say Chamakh is over rated, he was really good in a different league before he moved to Arsenal, so he came with fans expecting big things. He had a decent league season for Arsenal, baring in mind he rarely started, I think he got an equal amount of goals to the number of games he started (7).

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:25 pm

d260005p wrote:

Its true, how are they OVER-RATED??! Its unreal. From a footy fan as well? Its dissapointing to see things like this!

It depends who you are listening to. I think some people have gone way overboard with the Da Silva twins. They got themselves a few highlights on MOTD and that's them sorted for life. Let's just ignore how niave they both are mentally and tactically.

Don't get me wrong. They both have great potential, but they aren't there yet. I'd suggest Ferguson feels the same, as he seemed to drop them a fair bit last season, even after they had great games.

You could say the same about most younger players that have 1 or 2 great games. People go way too far ahead of themselves and once they make a mistake, they do a complete U-turn and the player becomes the worst thing since Hitler. In fact, I'm dreading Martin Kelly making a mistake that leads to a goal this season, as i think some of our fans have got ahead of themselves on him as well.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:28 pm

My guide for whether someone is over-rated or not is whether they would still be rated as highly if their nationality read something like Finnish or Estonian rather than English.

English players tend to get talked about too much and as a result people think they are better than they are, but would we still be fawning over them or rate them so highly if they were from somewhere else. Probably not.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:29 pm

liverbnz wrote:
d260005p wrote:

It depends who you are listening to. I think some people have gone way overboard with the Da Silva twins. They got themselves a few highlights on MOTD and that's them sorted for life. Let's just ignore how niave they both are mentally and tactically.

Don't get me wrong. They both have great potential, but they aren't there yet. I'd suggest Ferguson feels the same, as he seemed to drop them a fair bit last season, even after they had great games.

You could say the same about most younger players that have 1 or 2 great games. People go way too far ahead of themselves and once they make a mistake, they do a complete U-turn and the player becomes the worst thing since Hitler. In fact, I'm dreading Martin Kelly making a mistake that leads to a goal this season, as i think some of our fans have got ahead of themselves on him as well.

Not just him, what about the other two kids who played towards the end? Anyone would have thought they were the next Cafu and Carlos the way some LFC fans went on!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:34 pm

super_realist wrote:Rio Ferdinand
Steven Gerrard
Ashley Cole
Joe Hart
Torres
Joe Cole
Stuart Downing
Lescott
John Terry
Frank Lampard

So barring Torres, effectively England's starting 11 (or those just outside)?

I'd complain at that being from a Scotsman, and thus biased, but I find myself unable to defend some of the criminal overrating of these players! I'd perhaps remove Gerrard, but the others do trade based on nationality, and you could bet they would come at a (nonsensical) premium if transferred.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:35 pm

JDandfries wrote:
liverbnz wrote:
d260005p wrote:

Not just him, what about the other two kids who played towards the end? Anyone would have thought they were the next Cafu and Carlos the way some LFC fans went on!

Exactly. It's does them no good in the long run either, but unfortunately there is no way to stop it.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:36 pm

sodhat, I'm not a flag waving nationalistic Scotsman, but it's incredibly hard to argue that English players aren't ludicrously over-rated, even Gerrard, who rarely puts in a performance worthy of an international cap.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:38 pm

Torres was untouchable as number 9 at a time. I don't think he'll ever reach that level again, but I do think he'll come good. Especially now that AVB is at Chelsea.

Last edited by liverbnz on Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:45 pm

super_realist wrote:sodhat, I'm not a flag waving nationalistic Scotsman, but it's incredibly hard to argue that English players aren't ludicrously over-rated, even Gerrard, who rarely puts in a performance worthy of an international cap.

So why judge him by his England performances then? There seems to be a lot of players that don't perform for England, as far back as John Barnes as I remember. In fact, if we are judging players on internatinal performances were does that leave the best player in the world, Lionel Messi? Let me guess, it's the other players fault, or the coaches?

Gerrard between 2005-2009 would have got into near any team in the world. IMO. Goals, assists, left foot, right foot, headers, long range, close range, volleys, you name it. I dread to think where Liverpool FC would have been without him.

And no, before you ask, I'm not a fanboy. In fact, I never ever really warmed to Steven Gerrard as I have to other Liverpool players over the years. There's just something about him that I can't quite put my finger on. Still, it doesn't prevent me from realising how good a player he is/was.

Last edited by liverbnz on Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:47 pm

super_realist wrote:sodhat, I'm not a flag waving nationalistic Scotsman, but it's incredibly hard to argue that English players aren't ludicrously over-rated, even Gerrard, who rarely puts in a performance worthy of an international cap.

I gather the non-nationalistic vibe from some of your SPL articles!

I agree that many players who should be no more than fringe internationals and mid-table men get praised to high heaven because of the land of their birth. I do personally rate Gerrard though, and time and again I think he is our best player.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:55 pm

Livern, It just so happened that I mentioned the internationals. Many of those I mentioned aren't that outstanding at club level either.

Don't get me wrong, most are excellent professional footballers and certainly of European class, but don't quite live up to the hype and so called World Class status that they are all too easily labelled with.

Going back to my rule of thumb for instance. If John Terry was Swiss or Rio Ferdinand from Macedonia would the journo's and fans in this country still lavish them with as much praise?
Of course not. Good as they are, they are not as good as they are made out to be.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 27 Jul 2011, 3:59 pm

^

Fair point. The English mejia do love to overhype their own, but I'd say that is the same for most countries. It doesn't help that the country is full of sheep, and just repeat ad nauseum what they've read in the [insert redtop here].

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:04 pm

I think most other countries are far more realistic in their expectation and rating of their players, hence why they do better.
I regularly read Norwegian and Swedish sports websites and they are far more grounded about their players and sportsmen in general, even though they've had some excellent players over time, they've never got overly carried away the way our media and fans do, i.e they know their place in the sporting world
England are a bit like the Old Firm, they think they are bigger and better than they actually are almost as if they deserve to win, and that is a very dangerous thing for your prospects.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:11 pm

What possesses a Scotsman to read Norwegian and Swedish sports news?

I think it says a lot about a persons ability to judge quality, and how easily lead they are, if they get caught up and believe the hype that supposedly exists in international football. I think after the last World Cup the media coverage won't be as hyped up from now on.

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:13 pm

Churchill, probably because I speak Norwegian and Swedish.
I hope you are right about the hype, but I fear that next year they'll be coming out of the woodwork, claiming a golden generation, best chance ever etc etc, but I think the difference this time is that more of the public won't be taken in by it. Hopefully.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:14 pm

Surely International performances only go to highlight how OVERRATED they are.

Lampard, Terry and Gerrard are great in the PL, playing along side genuine world beaters like Anelka, Carvahlo or Torres or when they (Lampard and gerrard) get a free role, but put them in an England team with Gareth Barry or Peter Crouch, then you find out how good they actually are!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by fantantonio Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:15 pm

super_realist wrote:England are a bit like the Old Firm, they think they are bigger and better than they actually are almost as if they deserve to win, and that is a very dangerous thing for your prospects.

What's funny is that this comment is true.

fantantonio

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:16 pm

Ah, just thought it a little odd to read random countries sports news; especially as they aren't the most prestigious leagues in the world.

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:36 pm

Churchill, foreign papers often do English versions of their sports report. Scandinavian papers are big into the Premier League and it's refreshing to read stuff that isn't tainted with jingoistic and biased reporting. They tell it as it is.
Worth a look.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:37 pm

Lovenkrands, Roberts, Reo-Coker?!

Who in the world rates this lot?

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:44 pm

super_realist wrote:I think most other countries are far more realistic in their expectation and rating of their players, hence why they do better.
I regularly read Norwegian and Swedish sports websites and they are far more grounded about their players and sportsmen in general, even though they've had some excellent players over time, they've never got overly carried away the way our media and fans do, i.e they know their place in the sporting world
England are a bit like the Old Firm, they think they are bigger and better than they actually are almost as if they deserve to win, and that is a very dangerous thing for your prospects.

The Spanish, Italian and French media are every bit as bad as the English.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:45 pm

Scholes before his retirement
Walcott
Milner
Barry
Dzeko
Clichy

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:45 pm

To be fair Liverz, those countries have done enough really in the fairly recent past to justify a bit of hype and expectation, England certainly have not and seem to think that simply because they are England then that means they deserve to do well.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 27 Jul 2011, 4:48 pm

super_realist wrote:To be fair Liverz, those countries have done enough really in the fairly recent past to justify a bit of hype and expectation, England certainly have not.

Unfortunately that'll be the way of the world. The worse England get, the more desperate they'll become. The Germans went through the same prior to the 2002 WC, and that was only 6 years after they'd won the EC. Only the fact they managed to get to the final saved the county from meltdown. (I might have exagerrated that for effect)

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jul 2011, 7:20 pm

super_realist wrote:Churchill, foreign papers often do English versions of their sports report. Scandinavian papers are big into the Premier League and it's refreshing to read stuff that isn't tainted with jingoistic and biased reporting. They tell it as it is.
Worth a look.

Might give it a look at the start of the season. Could you PM me some of the better ones that you've read? thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 28 Jul 2011, 9:25 am

This is a pretty good list....

Top 20 Overhyped Prem Players

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 9:51 am

Clarke James wrote:This is a pretty good list....

Top 20 Overhyped Prem Players

I only really agree with about 4 or 5 players I on that list. OK

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:20 pm

I see a few of you have mention Theo Walcott but who overrates him?

I have only ever heard Walcott be trashed by the media and most football fans so I don't understand how he can be overrated?

If you want players that are overrated how about starting with Gareth Bale and Jack Wilshere.

Gareth Bale was Player of the Year last season but in almost every stat - goals, assists, shot on target, chances created - he was well behind Walcott. In fact Bale was well down the list when it can to top wide players last year. So how did he win POTY? Media hype.

Similarly Wilshere. Don't get me wrong he is talent and has greta potential put was he really Young Player of the Yea ahead of POTY Bale, Hernandez, Nani and Joe Hart?

Steven Gerrard is another who can do no wrong. Despite his constant shooting from long range and 'hollywood' balls that result in his team losing possession he is hailed as world class. Messi, Xavi, Iniesta are world class. Gerrard not so much.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:46 pm

It tickled me reading up the list that someone said Bebe was overrated. I think it's widely acknowledged that he is absolutely mince!!

Shocked that in the OP, CF has said Rafael is overrated. Very harsh in my opinion, he's still a young lad and often shows signs of inexperience but there is a raw potential there which makes him a very promising prospect, injury-proneness aside!

Disagree massively with Scholes' inclusion also...(as you can tell, I'm a United fan.)

My list of 5 overrated players.

1) Gerrard
2) Walcott
3) David Luiz
4) Barry
5) Dzeko (Although, I'm sure he'll come good if he can get in the team next year)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 3:15 pm

Saint, I'd say it's unfair to include Luiz and Dzeko who only have had 6 months in English football. Both of them did fantastically well at their previous clubs.

Completely agree with Gerrard and Barry though, two horrible midfield players.

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney92 Thu 28 Jul 2011, 4:08 pm

Scott Parker. Good player for West Ham's standards last season but no where near one of the best in the league.

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Thu 28 Jul 2011, 4:49 pm

Rooney
Carrick
Barry
Milner
Lescott
Torres
Lampard
Terry
Wayne Bridge
Scholes
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 28 Jul 2011, 4:57 pm

1)Rio Ferdinand

2)Marior Balotelli

3)Alan Smith

4)Ashley Cole

5)Christian Poulsen

6)Joe Cole

7)Anderson

8)Micheal Carrick

9)Kenwyne Jones

10)Andrey Arsharvin
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 4:59 pm

Since when was Alan Smith rated, and Poulsen? Laugh

I'm actually a fan of Jones, but he seems so inconsistent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Thu 28 Jul 2011, 5:00 pm

Strange to see that £35 million pound man Andy Carroll hasn't been mentioned.

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 5:01 pm

Small Time wrote:Strange to see that £35 million pound man Andy Carroll hasn't been mentioned.

Yawn.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 5:41 pm

Small Time wrote:Strange to see that £35 million pound man Andy Carroll hasn't been mentioned.

Probably because in his first season as a starting striker he managed to net 13 games, a goal to game ratio of 1:2 and was widely regarded as one of Newcastle's best players of the season up until he left.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 5:45 pm

Churchill wrote:

Probably because in his first season as a starting striker he managed to net 13 games, a goal to game ratio of 1:2 and was widely regarded as one of Newcastle's best players of the season up until he left.

There is also a big difference between an overrated player and an overpriced one.

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Thu 28 Jul 2011, 9:03 pm

Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Mario Balotelli, Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick

Gareth Bale. Yes I said it, he had a fantastic six month and then is hailed best thing in the world. Who was he before that six months? Nobody. Who was he after the six months? Nobody.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 28 Jul 2011, 10:44 pm

I sort of agree, he's clearly a good player but this ridiculous 50 mill price tag he was suddenly given is beyond a joke. See how he is in a couple of years then brash statements like that may seem more reasonable.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next