The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

' Boxing Database ' subsection ?

+15
Daz
Steffan
School Project
The Galveston Giant
Lumbering_Jack
oxring
Scottrf
licence_007
Mind the windows Tino.
captain carrantuohil
Rowley
paperbag_puncher
John Bloody Wayne
88Chris05
HumanWindmill
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should the boxing forum have a ' Boxing Database ' subforum ?

' Boxing Database ' subsection ? Vote_lcap97%' Boxing Database ' subsection ? Vote_rcap 97% 
[ 28 ]
' Boxing Database ' subsection ? Vote_lcap3%' Boxing Database ' subsection ? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 29

' Boxing Database ' subsection ? Empty ' Boxing Database ' subsection ?

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 26 Jul 2011, 7:42 pm

Evening, everybody.

In the light of some of our members' wonderful successes in securing ' Q & As ' with boxers of renown, the excellent and well frequented ' Book Reviews ' sticky, the equally popular ' Hall of Fame ' sticky and Scottrf's ' Boxing Documentaries ' thread, ( which should be a sticky, ) it will be clear to some of you that the ' sticky ' section is becoming quite busy and, therefore, quite intrusive.

Bearing in mind that we will be looking to attract more pro fighters to engage in Q & A exchanges and that our members continue to come up with fresh and interesting ideas which deserve a better fate than to slip off the front page and into obscurity it occurred to me that it might be time to consider a subsection here at the boxing forum.

Said subsection would serve as a kind of database, ( I believe that ' Boxing Database ' would be a pretty good, if unoriginal, name for it, ) and would contain all the aforementioned threads and could also be augmented by mini bios, lists of lineal champions, etc., etc. These threads could be ' sticky ' or otherwise, but would be permanently contained within the subsection and therefore readily accessed.

I believe that the benefits are twofold. Firstly, the overall appearance is neater than that containing a plethora of stickies and, secondly, the excellent reference material we have acquired can be preserved and added to. The tennis section currently has a sub forum, so anybody who is not sure how our page would appear with said subsection can easily check.

Please cast your votes, and if anybody has a different solution which he believes is a better means to preserve and archive the database material while keeping the page neat and tidy then please offer your suggestions.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

' Boxing Database ' subsection ? Empty Re: ' Boxing Database ' subsection ?

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 26 Jul 2011, 7:51 pm

Good idea I reckon, Windy, mostly for the reasons you've already stated. Would help every single member of the boxing board increase their knowlegde of any grey areas they might have in my opinion, and after scouting through some of the other boards (no disprespect to them!) I genuinely believe that our boxing one has the most knowledgeable contributors overall, so all the more reason for it.

If / when the subsection is created, do you mind if I make a suggestion? I typed up a boxing timeline earlier from a Harry Mullan book and suggested it for Seanusarrilius' site earlier - maybe we could add that to our subsection, with contributors able to add any significant events they feel are missing or have taken place in the last twelve years (the one I wrote up only goes to 1999)?

Either way, it's a thumbs up from me.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 26 Jul 2011, 7:58 pm

Thanks for your contribution, Chris.

Your ' Timeline ' idea is precisely the kind of thing which would be of immense benefit to the membership and, were it not contained within the ' Boxing Database, ' would slip off the front page and become increasingly difficult to access.

It would occupy just one thread within said database, could be augmented as significant events occur - Manny v Pac, for example - and would always be only a mouse click away.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:09 pm

Manny v Pac? You've seen one too many Bruce Lee films, Windy.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:09 pm

Sounds like a plan. Keep up the good work Windy!

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:15 pm

Thanks, paperbag. Appreciate it, mate.

And John, you do have a point, but I'm a glass half full kind of guy, doncha know ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:20 pm

Works for me Windy, to be honest we have only just scratched the surtface of the things it would be useful to have in there. The IBRO rankings would be useful to store amongst others, would suggest a list of current belt holders but would not wish maintaining that on my absolute worst enemy, even at my most vindictive.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:22 pm

Absolutely agree; as long as people who wish to contribute to the ongoing debates (like the H of F) and so on know where to look, a separate sub-data base is an indispensable addition to our offering, I'd say.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:22 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Thanks for your contribution, Chris.

Your ' Timeline ' idea is precisely the kind of thing which would be of immense benefit to the membership and, were it not contained within the ' Boxing Database, ' would slip off the front page and become increasingly difficult to access.

It would occupy just one thread within said database, could be augmented as significant events occur - Manny v Pac, for example - and would always be only a mouse click away.

My money is on the guy trained by Roach.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:39 pm

Thanks, all, for your input and votes.

To address captaincarrantuohil's point, in the specific, there would be absolutely no reason why a thread such as the HOF discussion should not be supported, in the initial stages, by an announcement thread ( either in the announcement section or on the front page, ) that new candidates have been chosen for deliberation.

I have little doubt that after a week or two everybody would know where everything is.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:39 pm

rowley wrote:Works for me Windy, to be honest we have only just scratched the surtface of the things it would be useful to have in there. The IBRO rankings would be useful to store amongst others, would suggest a list of current belt holders but would not wish maintaining that on my absolute worst enemy, even at my most vindictive.

I like this idea, would be infinitely helpful!

Why is the boxing documentaries thread not a sticky by the way? Can't you make it one yourself Windy?

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:41 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

John and Tino 2, Windy a very embarrassing 0.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:42 pm

licence_007 wrote:
rowley wrote:Works for me Windy, to be honest we have only just scratched the surtface of the things it would be useful to have in there. The IBRO rankings would be useful to store amongst others, would suggest a list of current belt holders but would not wish maintaining that on my absolute worst enemy, even at my most vindictive.

I like this idea, would be infinitely helpful!

Why is the boxing documentaries thread not a sticky by the way? Can't you make it one yourself Windy?

Thanks, licence.

The ' Documentaries ' thread is now a ' sticky.'

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:45 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

John and Tino 2, Windy a very embarrassing 0.

You got there in the end Windy, thats the important thing. Slow and steady wins the race.

Anyway, I think a sub-section would be a cracking idea and give it my full support.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:47 pm

Thanks, Tino. On both counts !

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:54 pm

Does anyone want to attempt the belt-holders thread at the moment? I'd volunteer, but I just tie myself in knots over interim, super and regular champions.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:55 pm

licence_007 wrote:Does anyone want to attempt the belt-holders thread at the moment? I'd volunteer, but I just tie myself in knots over interim, super and regular champions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_world_boxing_champions

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:57 pm

Is that fully up to date though?

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:58 pm

It will be in a couple of days when they fix the Amir Khan-Judah bug.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 26 Jul 2011, 8:59 pm

Yeah, Wikipedia is the business.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 26 Jul 2011, 9:00 pm

oxring wrote:It will be in a couple of days when they fix the Amir Khan-Judah bug.
Which? Fixed the formatting if that's what you mean.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Tue 26 Jul 2011, 9:00 pm

Ah, that's not too bad then. A quick scan and it looked fairly reasonably, just shows how bad having 4+ champions per division is when you see some of the names though!

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 26 Jul 2011, 9:03 pm

Have been doing a little further thinking with regard to the ' HOF ' discussion thread.

It occurs to me that the simplest solution, ( purely during an interim period while everybody is adjusting to the subsection, ) would be for the captain to open a normal thread, on the front page, for the discussion and selection / rejection of each new batch of candidates. Once voting has been completed, this thread could then be ' merged ' into its parent thread within the database.

Additionally, each of these would carry, for a pre determined period - let's say six weeks - a note, designed to inform members that beyond that point all such discussions would take place directly within the parent thread in the database.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 26 Jul 2011, 9:41 pm

Only reservations I would possibly have are that members will be split into 2 sections across the board...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 26 Jul 2011, 9:53 pm

I take your point, Jack, and I must say that at one point I thought about separate subsections for ' modern ' and ' old timer ' as practised by some other websites. In the end, I never raised the subject because, like you, I felt that it would be divisive in the worst sense and that the cons would outweigh the pros.

This is different, though. It is designed purely to be a database ( modern and old time, ) to which everybody can refer. Many of the threads contained within will be ' static ' and members can pop in for a piece of information, or a link, and pop straight back out again to continue with whatever discussion in which they had been previously involved.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 26 Jul 2011, 10:11 pm

Windy have to say I would be absolutely against an old timer and modern sub section idea. When I went over to ESB for a brief period I found I just stuck to the classic section . I was as happy as the preverbial pig in mess, however found my knowledge and ability to keep up with more recent fights and fighters was suffering, appreciate this was my own fault for sticking to one page but still prefer to have the old and new merged. Also if they are not together how on earth can we have an old vs new debate, which we all love deep down.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 26 Jul 2011, 10:20 pm

Sounds great.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 26 Jul 2011, 10:40 pm

I don't know what I voted for...

But it sounds great!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 26 Jul 2011, 10:48 pm

School Project wrote:I don't know what I voted for...

But it sounds great!
The AV vote all over again...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:02 pm

I dunno what im voting for either but I like Windy so I just did the classic 'I dont understand politics so il just vote for whichever leader I like best' option Very Happy

Windy im sure its brilliant hence you get a big fat YES from me OK

Regards

Steffan

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:11 pm

Scottrf wrote:
oxring wrote:It will be in a couple of days when they fix the Amir Khan-Judah bug.
Which? Fixed the formatting if that's what you mean.

Yep. Nice work if you did it mate.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 27 Jul 2011, 8:45 am

Got my vote.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:43 am

What do you want to call the subsection?

Boxing Database?
The Boxing Archives?
The Info zone?

Let me know and I can get it set up - the vote looks pretty unanimous

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:50 am

Pugilistic Postulations?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:51 am

A feast of Fistania?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:52 am

The Fistic Files?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:53 am

Farraginous Fistic Fasti

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:55 am

The Sweet Science Smorgasbord

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:58 am

The Altercation Atheneum
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:58 am

Combative Catalogue Comprising of Cacography and Cacology

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:59 am

Fumble in the Jumble

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:59 am

The Prizefighting Pigeonhole

That's enough now...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:00 am

The.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:00 am

Hope one of mine wins.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:01 am

Scottrf wrote:Hope one of mine wins.

Me too.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:05 am

Scottrf wrote:Hope one of mine wins.

I did like your one with all the C's, you have truly taken alliteration to new heights with that one.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:11 am

Sorry to be a party pooper, but how about the 'Boxing Vault'?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:12 am

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:12 am

They don't even start with the same letter Chris, you really need to work on it mate.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:12 am

B and V are not the same letter...

Damn you Rowley!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next