The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KING GEORGE PREVIEW

3 posters

Go down

KING GEORGE PREVIEW Empty KING GEORGE PREVIEW

Post by racingnut Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:43 am

The race that really fired my passion for the sport takes centre stage at Ascot and whilst it cannot be faulted for the quality of the contenders it can certainly be demonished for the quantity.As in plenty of the recent renewals the three years are very sparsely represented,which is a shame because i have always thought that only the all aged contests shed a true light on the Classic crop of that given year.I was of the opinion before the season started that this current bunch of older horses could be very useful and nothing ive seen has swayed me from that,i will try to evaluate their chances as impartiallly as i can but its only my view and we will all have our own.
WORKFORCE
Needs no introduction,Derby and Arc hero of last year and a high class performer.Cant possibly crab his achievement in winning both events last season but i find it easy to crab the actual black and white form.Thought that the Derby just fell perfect for him in that they went over quick and he just powered away from them in the last two,beating a total no hoper into second and a horse who just didnt handle anything about Epsom until it was too late.His Arc win was praiseworthy in that he handled the differing conditions with aplomb and he came from miles back to win but the actual form isnt exactly earth shattering.Two solid efforts this year,a nice win under a penalty over 10 at Sandown(form has stacked up dreadfully) and a massive run in the Eclipse when touched off by So You Think.On both occasions he ran with the choke out fully,he did the same thing in this event last season,its a nasty habit to get into as its virtually impossible to run free round here over 12 and get home.He has to settle or hes cooked.This trip will suit better than his ventures over 10 but he needs the race to be run to suit,will he get it?
ST NICHOLAS ABBEY
The second coming according to many at the end of his two year old career but it went pear shaped and his three year old season came and went in the blink of an eye.His debut as a four year old ended too in disappointment and i for one thought hed be retired but he came back with a bang over 13 at Chester with a very taking win,giving the impression that the further he went the better he went.A showdown with Midday in the Coronation Cup followed,a slow pace and the idiosyncracies of Epsom didnt seem to suit and he looked beaten everywhere except the last 100 yards where he veritably sprouted wings to catch the gallant mare.He again gave the impression that 12 is the absolute minimum of his range.The slight ease in the ground and the stiff track will really suit(Ascot is on the collar for 6 of the last 7 furlongs).Stable had multiple contenders and it speaks volumes that this fella is the one chosen.
REWILDING
Yet another decent three year old in the Godolphin ranks that has turned into a top flight performer as a four year old.Ran behind Workforce in last years Derby but hated the undulations of Epsom and didnt get going until it was all over.Bolted up in the Voltigeur before running very flat in the Leger(trip and ground cited).Very taking win in Dubai pre UK season then a real humdinger of a win at the Royal meeting when getting the better of So You Think.He seemed to relish the easy ground there and he was doing all of his best work close home,that being the case then a step back up to 12 will certainly suit.My only reservation was the hard race he got in winning might have left its mark but his connections know what it takes to win this.
DEBUSSY
Solid perfomer in his own right but a pacemaker for Rewilding.Will his job be to go a strong pace or to go a gallop that suits his stablemate and inconveniences the rest? I reckon he will go as slow as he can get away with,hes a spoiler no doubt about it,they want to get Workforce racing "over keen".
NATHANIEL
The only three year old.His forms true merit will probably only be gauged after hes run against this lot,in the ranks of three year olds this season hes up there in the top handful as his form from Chester has really stacked up well with Treasure Beach finishing second at Epsom and then winning the Irish version.Nathaniel himself then stamped himself as a very progressive type by sluicing home in the King Edward.He looks a straightforward ride in that he sits close to the pace,stamina isnt an issue and any juice in the ground will not hinder.Connections stumped up big money to supplement.Not the forlorn hope that some make him.

Im almost certain that Debussy will act as a pacesetter but will go as slow as he can get away with,the idea must be to upset Workfoce who given no gallop will almost certainly race with the choke out.A slow pace will also unsettle St Nicholas Abbey as he seems to want a strong pace over 12 as a minimum.Rewildings hard race at the Royal meeting just prays on my mind as does connections stating that he needs a big break between races(only 5 and half weeks ago).If he does run his race then lines through So you Think give him a massive say.Getting 12lb from his elders allied to the fact that he can race close to or on the front end then at current odds i am inclined to take a punt on NATHANIEL.
1.NATHANIEL
2.REWIDLING
3.ST NICHOLAS ABBEY

Please fell free to post your own ideas thumbsup

racingnut

Back to top Go down

KING GEORGE PREVIEW Empty Re: KING GEORGE PREVIEW

Post by steveo77 Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:08 am

great preview racingnut

i will post some of my ideas later but just for now I will say that I havent got a clue who will win this tomorrow! You can make a case out for any of the leading three and then you go and throw Nathaniel into the mix! Erm

steveo77

Back to top Go down

Post by racingnut Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:27 pm

I found Frankie Dettoris statement in the press this morning very enlightening..." I see nothing but a true run race,Debussy is in there to see that it isnt a sit and sprint race".Cant decide whether its said from the heart or its the original double bluff.Still convinced that it will turn tactical and in that event you just have to be close to the pace.Its one of those races where you can find plenty of reasons for any of the field not winning but very few as to why they should.I have always tried to find value and having slept on my thoughts and read the press and studied again i still think the sole 3yo is VFM against these older horses even though he has to find improvement.

racingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by steveo77 Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:21 pm

I am now startint to lean towards Rewilding

too many negatives (including the short price about Workforce).
Also this is a horse that needs a lot of time between his races. People are going on about the hard race Rewilding had at Ascot last time out but what about Workforce? He had a tough race just 3 weeks ago. I reckon Workforce will take the lead and Rewilding could pip him, just like he did to So you think. As for St Nicholas Abbey he will come late but the inexperience of the jockey will mean he doesnt reach the leading two. Nathaniel I just am not sure about but will probably be found out down the home straight. Very interesting race though and I am loking forward to it! Very Happy

steveo77

Back to top Go down

Post by racingnut Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:49 am

Got it right but i dont take any credit as the whole racing day was spoilt by the very tragic and public demise of Rewilding.Almost identical to the fate that befell Horatio Nelson in the Derby a few seasons back. He looked like he may have put his leg down a hole,not that it matters,its just the fact that he has paid the highest price for entertaining us,the racing public....awful.Just watch all the tree huggers and do gooders come out of the woodwork to call for the scrapping of racing. Sad

racingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:31 am

It looked like his foreleg snapped as he started to accelerate. Sad viewing - RIP Rewilding. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:57 am

Just logged on to find out the result of the race......this is very sad news.

You might like to read what John Gosden had to say....From Sporting Life

RIP Rewilding Crying or Very sad

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks for the link. It was a strange race with it being farcically slow to begin with - with the horses bunching and with Rewilding clippling the back of the leg of Workforce, followed by the mass acceleration, poor Rewilding snapping his leg, and then Workforce veering massively to the left in the run in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down