The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Englands worst ever XV

+29
nlpnlp
George Carlin
Cumbrian
Hood83
sirtidychris
king_carlos
GunsGermsV2
Cyril
Gwlad
Scottrf
Alex_Germany
trebellbobaggins
captain carrantuohil
compelling and rich
rodders
InjuredYetAgain
Mr Bounce
TightHEAD
funnyExiledScot
Rugby Fan
tazfalklands
dummy_half
LondonTiger
Geordie
fa0019
Gooseberry
BamBam
Fluxy
propdavid_london
33 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Englands worst ever XV  Empty Englands worst ever XV

Post by propdavid_london Thu 27 Oct 2016, 3:37 pm

1.Paul Doran Jones
2. David Paice
3. Tim Payne
4.Mauritz Botha
7. Michael Lipman?
8. Jordan Crane
9. Paul Hodgeson
11. Lesley Vanikolo
12. Andy Farrell
13. Ayoola Erinle
14. Ian Balshaw
15. Mark Van Gisbergen

Notable mention - Henry Paul, Jordan Turner Hall, Shaun Perry,

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Englands worst ever XV  Empty Re: Englands worst ever XV

Post by propdavid_london Thu 27 Oct 2016, 3:38 pm

Sorry - should have posted in international section

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 28 Oct 2016, 9:03 am

Moderators - can you please move to the International threads

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Fri 28 Oct 2016, 9:09 am

Ben Skirving and Hendre Fourie are worth a shout?

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 28 Oct 2016, 10:23 am

You really can't have Balshaw in the worst XV (and certainly not as a winger). He may have had a few dodgy moments at FB (at the end of his international career) but he was a very good player for the most part. Unlucky with injuries too.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 28 Oct 2016, 10:27 am

Balshaw was bloody brilliant in 2001

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 28 Oct 2016, 10:28 am

How about Magnus Lund or Joel Tomkins?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 28 Oct 2016, 10:36 am

Cyril wrote:You really can't have Balshaw in the worst XV (and certainly not as a winger). He may have had a few dodgy moments at FB (at the end of his international career) but he was a very good player for the most part. Unlucky with injuries too.

I always suspected you were Brian Ashton

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 28 Oct 2016, 10:56 am

OK - Ian Balshaw playing 15 post 2004

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 28 Oct 2016, 10:59 am

I thought Hendre Fourie was quite good in the few chances he got!

Shontane Hape? Perhaps not that bad!

Victor Ubugu - had his lovers and haters

Nick Kennedy - was a good player but was never picked for England when in form.

Dippy Diprose?

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 28 Oct 2016, 11:26 am

Hmmm, it's no surprise that the vast majority of these players were capped between 2004-2010 ('The Barren Years').

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 28 Oct 2016, 11:43 am

Cyril wrote:Hmmm, it's no surprise that the vast majority of these players were capped between 2004-2010 ('The Barren Years').

Its also the generation most posters on here will remember.

Theres another question to the question ... is it worst players or worst performers for England?

I dont think you could class Farrell as one of the worst guys ever to get capped for England...he was just dropped into a mess and underperformed in and England shirt. But he had some class about him even in Union.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 28 Oct 2016, 11:55 am

Good point - there have been excellent club players over the years that just haven't stepped up for the National side.

Others that have underperformed perhaps due to management or coaching.

eg. Bergamasco was an excellent back rower, but a shocking no.9

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 28 Oct 2016, 2:53 pm

Think its a bit unfair for the one cap wonder types. Like those on the 98 tour of hell where about 25 players refused to tour.
Players who were years away from being test match ready were thrust into playing NZ and AUS away... saying chaps like that were bad I think is a little unfair.

JW, Lewsey etc made their bones on that tour and did not shine either.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 28 Oct 2016, 2:59 pm

fa0019 wrote:Think its a bit unfair for the one cap wonder types. Like those on the 98 tour of hell where about 25 players refused to tour.
Players who were years away from being test match ready were thrust into playing NZ and AUS away... saying chaps like that were bad I think is a little unfair.

Yeah but they were mediocre, they would never have been near and england shirt and the england coaches didnt want to pick them. Most were average club makeweights before they went and returned back the same.
Its as true for guys like Erinle who only got picked because pretty much the entire universe was injured. Mind you could put Noon ahead of him, 2 good shows and umpteen abysmal ones....despite in theory being a better player.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 28 Oct 2016, 3:01 pm

Andy Goode in an England shirt

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 28 Oct 2016, 3:04 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
fa0019 wrote:Think its a bit unfair for the one cap wonder types. Like those on the 98 tour of hell where about 25 players refused to tour.

Yeah but they were mediocre, they would never have been near and england shirt and the england coaches didnt want to pick them.  Most were average club makeweights before they went and returned back the same.  
Its as true for guys like Erinle who only got picked because pretty much the entire universe was injured. Mind you could put Noon ahead of him, 2 good shows and umpteen abysmal ones....despite in theory being a better player.

That's the thing.

Guys like Jon Webb, Steve Ojomoh, Shaun Perry, Andy Goode, Charlie Hodgson, Jamie Noon etc are more suitable in my opinion because they were close to being worthy of squad places but they were terrible international players.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 30 Jan 2017, 3:46 pm

Lesley Vainikolo?
Henry Paul??

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 02 Feb 2017, 10:09 am

15 - Chris Martin (Not the Coldplay one, a Bath full back who was built like a tank yet under the high ball looked like Bambi on ice)
10 - Peter Williams (4 caps during teh Ron Andrew/Stuart Barnes period)
9 - Peter Richards (Talented rugby player, but bloody awful SH. Heck he made Shaun Perry look good)
8 - Chris Sheasby (Fun to watch, but combined a lack of power with a lack of pace. Yet he also played 7s)
4 - John Orwin (Worst international second row I have ever seen, yet he captained England)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 02 Feb 2017, 1:22 pm

Surely any 'worst ever' XV has to include a few of the guys who got selects based on going to the right school / University. Not going to mention names (cough - Marcus Rose - cough), but it definitely played a part during my early years watching England (from the late 70s to mid 80s at least).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by tazfalklands Thu 02 Feb 2017, 2:37 pm

In todays world Victor Ubogu would have been world class. The issue was he was a mobile prop in 1992 an era when prop were expected to scrum but nothing else

tazfalklands

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 02 Feb 2017, 3:08 pm

dummy_half wrote:Surely any 'worst ever' XV has to include a few of the guys who got selects based on going to the right school / University. Not going to mention names (cough - Marcus Rose - cough), but it definitely played a part during my early years watching England (from the late 70s to mid 80s at least).

Marcus Rose and Huw Davies both got more caps than they should.

Then there were the caps thrown out because one of the "regional" teams had done well against tourists.

Or because the new selectors were from one particular location. Really until Geoff Cooke came on board selection was disjointed, extremely prone to nepotism and there was never any sense that a team was being built. The success of 1980 was a fluke really.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 02 Feb 2017, 3:54 pm

LT

Huw Davies was certainly another I was thinking of, and you are entirely right in identifying Geoff Cooke as the coach that put an end to such things.

Of course it wasn't just England rugby that was afflicted with this - the same occurred and continued even a few years longer in cricket - exhibit A being Derek Pringle Shocked

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 03 Feb 2017, 1:46 am

fa0019 wrote:...Jon Webb, Steve Ojomoh, Shaun Perry, Andy Goode, Charlie Hodgson, Jamie Noon etc are more suitable in my opinion because they were close to being worthy of squad places but they were terrible international players.
Jon Webb was good, and Charlie Hodgson wasn't a bad international player. I'd describe his England career as "unfulfilled".

If you want a full-back, then my vote goes to Chris Martin (1985). He was built up as one of the fittest players ever to play for England, but was distinctly underwhelming.

Just noticed Alex Lozowski's father Rob was capped around the same time. Can't remember him at all.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 03 Feb 2017, 10:26 am

Rob Lozowski just got the single cap I believe. He was perhaps unlucky not to get more.

As to Chris Martin, I offered him up earlier as he his performances at FB were reminiscent of Mauro Bergamasco's attempts to be a scrum half, without any of the mitigating factors.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 03 Feb 2017, 10:40 am

LondonTiger wrote:Rob Lozowski just got the single cap I believe. He was perhaps unlucky not to get more.

Just looked and his single cap was against the GS Wallabies of 84. Of course in those days there was just the single AI. As a reflection of the vagaries of selection at the time just 3 players survived from the previous match (2nd test in SA) to make it into the side for Losowski's only test, while just 4 survived from that game to the next match. So 12 changes from one game to second ans 11 from second to third. In total 37 different players started for England across 3 consecutive tests.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 03 Feb 2017, 11:30 am

Rugby Fan wrote:
fa0019 wrote:...Jon Webb, Steve Ojomoh, Shaun Perry, Andy Goode, Charlie Hodgson, Jamie Noon etc are more suitable in my opinion because they were close to being worthy of squad places but they were terrible international players.
Jon Webb was good, and Charlie Hodgson wasn't a bad international player. I'd describe his England career as "unfulfilled".

I'd actually put Alex Goode in this sort of group - perhaps 'terrible international' is a bit harsh, but he's certainly someone who shines at club level but struggled with the step up in quality (perhaps because his relative lack of pace is more noticeable against the best opponents). Could also put the likes of Phil Dowson in this group - had a fine club career but lacked that little bit extra to make the step up.

Perhaps the worst XV should be captained by Steve Borthwick - combined being a poor captain with being slightly under-powered as an international 2nd row (even if a very good club player).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 03 Feb 2017, 11:39 am

Phil De Glanville deserves a mention. Not big, not quick, not skilful, not destructive in the tackle, just sort of there. They made him captain as well.

Steve Hanley was never an international winger. Just a big lump during that era where everyone was scratching around for a Jonah Lomu style winger (Scotland capped Roland Reid based on the same concept).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 03 Feb 2017, 11:47 am

Hard to really judge Hanley based on a single cap when he was still a teenager. My memories of that match at Wembley are a touch faulty as I was there and well, it became an interesting evening. What I recall is that the centres were Barrie-Jon Mather (oh dear lord) and Sir JW. Wilkinon was largely anonymous, but I recall Hanley doing pretty well, including scoring a try, before he broke an arm that put him first out of the Summer tour plans and then second out of SCWs plans entirely.

I always felt he had more about hm than his friend and club colleague Mark Cueto.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 03 Feb 2017, 12:16 pm

FES

Great description of de Glanville. At club level had a lot of success with Bath, but aided by playing with Barnes inside and Guscott outside (so one guy who was top class at club level and one who was bordering on world class at Test level). Internationally? Meh.

Hanley I think was one of those guys who was given an opportunity too soon and then discarded and never really thought about again (and had plenty of injuries). His place as 'useless large lump of winger' then went to Matt Bananaman.

Interesting call on Cueto - I always felt he got picked on the basis of not having any glaring weaknesses rather than any particular strengths. He'd not make a mistake to lose you a game, but neither would he do anything to win you one.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 03 Feb 2017, 12:29 pm

Agreed on Cueto. A solid citizen with ok pace and a useful hand-off, but the sort of winger who would never have come close to a cap for one of the SH sides, although perhaps a lesser version of Cory Jane. Similar story with David Rees.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 05 Feb 2017, 9:27 pm

Sam Burgess
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 09 Feb 2017, 8:27 pm

Phil Christophers is one of the others I would consider - he was a half-decent winger/centre at club level but I seem to remember he tripped Gareth Thomas during the 6 Nations and SCW stated he would never pick him again. As a result he never added to his 3 caps.

I get the impression he could not handle the International Stage. Although he did have a suitably laughable "Hitler Youth" style haircut... Shocked

Barrie-Jon Mather is an absolute shoo-in in the centres for me. Absolute shocker giving him his first & only cap against Wales...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 10 Feb 2017, 11:59 am

Mr Bounce wrote:Phil Christophers is one of the others I would consider - he was a half-decent winger/centre at club level but I seem to remember he tripped Gareth Thomas during the 6 Nations and SCW stated he would never pick him again. As a result he never added to his 3 caps.

I get the impression he could not handle the International Stage. Although he did have a suitably laughable "Hitler Youth" style haircut...  Shocked

Barrie-Jon Mather is an absolute shoo-in in the centres for me. Absolute shocker giving him his first & only cap against Wales...

Can't argue with much of that - Phil Christophers definitely was one of those players that looked totally out of their depth at international level, even if a decent to good club player.

Barrie John Mather was a very good centre... in rugby league. One of the guys who should be held up as a cautionary tale for every league to union convert.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue 14 Feb 2017, 8:47 pm

Charlie Hodgson always seemed massively overrated to me. Surely he can be squeezed in at 10?

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue 14 Feb 2017, 9:05 pm

Oh,yes.Tom Palmer was absolutely honking. If I remember correctly, was he not born in Scotland and "poached" by England when he wouldn't even have got in our team? Its fair to say Scotland have had the better of the poaching done

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 16 Feb 2017, 12:38 pm

Tom Palmer was never that great, but he did fulfil that Lump role that England desperately needed at that time - he also benefited from being in a very good Wasps side at the time too.

Another one that failed to shine for England was Nick Kennedy - kept out of the team by Borthwick (the late years). Excellent club player but given very little chance at international. But didn't shine when he did.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 16 Feb 2017, 1:41 pm

Will Carling.

He had one half decent game against Scotland in 1996 and that was it.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 17 Feb 2017, 10:32 am

rodders wrote:Will Carling.

He had one half decent game against Scotland in 1996 and that was it.

Rodders

You know every suggestion that Carling wasn't that great a player should be accompanied by this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03gpzFZadcQ

In reality, he was a good player and a very good captain for England, certainly well above the standard of the above list

(nice WUM though)

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 18 Feb 2017, 11:38 am

plenty of good club players who didnt make the step up, likes of charlie hodgson falls into that category, as does james simpson daniel for me. one good game against the ba ba's and that was it. injuries to blame but thought he was poor in majority of his appearances for england.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 20 Feb 2017, 8:17 am

Chris Sheasby for England - Although was pretty good 7s player wasn't he?

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 20 Feb 2017, 8:44 am

propdavid_london wrote:Chris Sheasby for England - Although was pretty good 7s player wasn't he?

from above Very Happy

LondonTiger wrote:
8 - Chris Sheasby (Fun to watch, but combined a lack of power with a lack of pace. Yet he also played 7s)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 20 Feb 2017, 8:46 am

Cheers LT - missed that one

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 20 Feb 2017, 9:11 am

Happy for someone to agree with me Smile

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 20 Feb 2017, 11:49 am

Henry Paul was awful.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 22 Feb 2017, 3:20 pm

Some of the more undistinguished England players from a fairly long life of watching them play, including periods when they were at least as bad as the Italian sides of recent vintage, the Scottish sides of five or six years ago and even our own sainted Irish teams from most of the late 1990s:

15) Chris Martin, 14) Phil Christophers, 13) Richard Cardus, 12) Shontayne Hape, 11) Matt Banahan, 10) Peter Williams, 9) Mike Lampkowski, 8) Jordan Crane 7) Andy Dun 6) Mark Keyworth 5) Dave Cusani 4) Mouritz Botha 3) Duncan Bell 2) David Paice 1) Austin Sheppard.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 25 Feb 2017, 5:44 pm

You have to find a place for Barry-Jon Mather surely?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 26 Feb 2017, 9:47 pm

He'd completely slipped my mind, trebellbo. Made Hape look like O'Driscoll, I agree.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 26 Feb 2017, 10:02 pm

really was out of his depth sadly.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 05 Mar 2017, 6:36 pm

Webb at 15.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down