The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arsenal have bid rejected for Jagielka

+2
Smirnoffpriest
Crimey
6 posters

Go down

Arsenal have bid rejected for Jagielka Empty Arsenal have bid rejected for Jagielka

Post by Crimey Thu 21 Jul 2011, 2:37 pm

Everton have turned down a £10m offer from Arsenal for England defender Phil Jagielka.

Arsenal boss Wenger moved for Jagielka, 28, in his search for the commanding central defensive figure that has been a priority this summer.

But he will need to come back with an offer closer to £20m for the Goodison Park club to even consider a deal.

Everton's refusal was hardened by the fact that they rejected a £12m Arsenal bid for Jagielka last summer.

Wenger is a long-term admirer of Jagielka, who has been an outstanding performer at Everton since a £4m move from Sheffield United in July 2007.

As well as insisting he is not for sale, Everton still believe he is worth around double Arsenal's latest offer.

Toffees manager David Moyes has to sell to buy once more this summer and is in no mood to part with any of his current squad.

But there is an acceptance at Goodison Park that only a high-profile sale will provide Moyes with any cash to spend.

Jagielka signed a new four-year contract with Everton in March and has been earmarked as the natural successor to Phil Neville as club captain.

He was named Everton's player of the year in the 2008/09 season, despite suffering a serious knee injury in the second half of that campaign which forced him to miss the FA Cup final defeat against Chelsea.

Wenger must now decide whether to increase his offer for Jagielka or look elsewhere.

Arsenal have been strongly linked with a £17m bid for Bolton's Gary Cahill, 25, and, with the season approaching, the urgency is growing for Wenger to add to his defensive resources.

Blackburn's Chris Samba and Birmingham City's Scott Dann have also been touted as possible recruits for the Gunners.

Although it has been rejected it must be good news for Arsenal fans that Wenger looks ready to spend more than usual to improve that shakey defence!

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Arsenal have bid rejected for Jagielka Empty Re: Arsenal have bid rejected for Jagielka

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:16 pm

yeah it is good news - the only thing I'm worried about is, if the figures are correct, that £10m is a very low bid for a defender such as Jagielka, and as it's lower than last seasons, it could mean that Arsenal aren't very serious about getting him.

Fingers crossed we do get someone in - though strangely I'd be happy with someone like Baines to play Left Back and not buy a CB.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Arsenal have bid rejected for Jagielka Empty Re: Arsenal have bid rejected for Jagielka

Post by Guest Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:31 pm

£10m for a defender who turns 29 at his next birthday isn't exactly a cheap bid either. Would be stupid to offer close to £20m for him. Around £13-14m would be a good deal for Arsenal.

Still quite baffled at why Roger Johnson moved for £7m and Arsenal didn't put any interest towards him? If I were an Arsenal fan my order of preference would be Samba, Jagielka, Cahill and then Dann.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Thu 21 Jul 2011, 4:33 pm

I totally agree Churchill

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:21 pm

Churchill wrote:£10m for a defender who turns 29 at his next birthday isn't exactly a cheap bid either. Would be stupid to offer close to £20m for him. Around £13-14m would be a good deal for Arsenal.

Still quite baffled at why Roger Johnson moved for £7m and Arsenal didn't put any interest towards him? If I were an Arsenal fan my order of preference would be Samba, Jagielka, Cahill and then Dann.

I just can't work out why only Wolves were the ONLY team seriously interested in Roger Johnson. I'd have loved him for Liverpool.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Jul 2011, 5:36 pm

Compare his quality and price to the other names being banded about for every other club looking for a defender and he's a great signing.

Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham could have done with signing him and he'd improve all their defences.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 21 Jul 2011, 8:05 pm

that would be because when they played without danns for the last few months of the season their defensive record went down the drain. im not saying he's a bad defender but he isn't great either he's solid enough for a mid-table side.

personally i reckon about 13.5m + bendtner on loan would get him

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 22 Jul 2011, 12:36 am

10 million does seem low why is bid 2 million less then previous bid last summer ? Also agree Arsenal should of gone for Johnson 7 million snip
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jul 2011, 9:47 am

I woudl have thought they bid lower because his contract was closer to expiring, but he signed a new 4 year deal in March so £10m is a strange starting bid. In the current inflated market Wenger may have to stump up the cash, or maybe turn to the likes of Samba now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 22 Jul 2011, 10:14 am

Probably because of the whole "he's a year older now" argument, sort of like why Barca said they would only bid lower than last time to Wenger.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Jul 2011, 10:52 am

I could understand that if his contract only had a couple of years left, but Jagielka is with Everton until 2015. Personally I'd go for Samba even if he cost an extra million or two.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 22 Jul 2011, 12:45 pm

I agree I would like to see Samba sign, and think he could add an interesting dimension in attack - at corners and set pieces with his height

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:57 pm

Samba is a beast physically and would really add some steel; alongside Vermalen, who plays the ball well.

Cahill would make more sense than Jaglielka if they are paying 15 million plus; because he is four years younger.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:46 pm

I don't personally think any of them are worth over £15m (15m max), but then we seem to be operating in an inflated market. I also think Djournou and Kosclieny will show their class this season - but I agree Samba would def add some much needed steel, and would help create a spine of Szczenzy (sp?), Vermaelen and Samba, Wiltshire and RVP as quite a good fighting spine to form the rest of the pretty players around.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down