The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Once again it's up to the Irish to save the day

+31
hogie
barragan
Hoggy_Bear
_Ignited_
Faldono1fan
detones
LadyPutt
Tano
JDandfries
Diggers
Thomond
liverbnz
Onetoanother
theeldestboy
navyblueshorts
JPX
GunsGerms
NedB-H
McLaren
super_realist
Davie
sharrison01
oldparwin
JAS
Shotrock
Doon the Water
Steffan
kwinigolfer
Nay
MustPuttBetter
KeizoYamata
35 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Once again it's up to the Irish to save the day - Page 2 Empty Once again it's up to the Irish to save the day

Post by KeizoYamata Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 18:15

First topic message reminder :

McDowell, Rory and now Darren Clarke saved the day for the UK and Europe. What a joke the English, Scottish and Welsh players are. The Irish have now won 6 majors in a few years what have the Brits done? Nothing!!

Lets look at the English - Luke the bogus number 1 choked along with the others Westwood, Poulter, Rose e.t.c They failed miserably in their home major.
The Scottish - The worst of the bunch and complete let down despite have the most golf courses per person in the world. A complete travesty and as useless as their Football League. The Welsh a joke but still better than the Scottish as they at least had a world number 1 in Woosnam none the less a joke still.

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Once again it's up to the Irish to save the day - Page 2 Empty Re: Once again it's up to the Irish to save the day

Post by GunsGerms Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 9:48

I have dual nationality, big deal. Doesn't make me any less Irish.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Once again it's up to the Irish to save the day - Page 2 Empty Re: Once again it's up to the Irish to save the day

Post by sharrison01 Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 9:49

leinsterbaby wrote:I have dual nationality, big deal. Doesn't make me any less Irish.

Doesn't make you any less of a Kumquat either...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 9:53

sharrison01 wrote:
leinsterbaby wrote:I have dual nationality, big deal. Doesn't make me any less Irish.

Doesn't make you any less of a Kumquat either...

That's really witty.....in primary school.

Home of golf baby!

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 9:55

No it doesn't mate. And incidentally i'm of Irish parentage too, but born and raised in England. But the bitterness you show toward the English is very un-Irish. I read a lot of the other posts around the 606v2 forums, but only post on golf as that is the only area i can really contribute anything worthwhile. Other than your anti-english outbursts, you seem quite well informed and articulate, especially on rugby. I just wonder where the anti-English sentiment comes from? We don't ask for our pro's to be world number 1 and 2, and we are disappointed that they have again failed to perform. But that's not a reason for you to come on here and offend most of the posters on here!
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 9:56

I'm certainly not offended by anything he says. I just think he's an idiot.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 10:06

theeldestboy wrote:

No it doesn't mate. And incidentally i'm of Irish parentage too, but born and raised in England. But the bitterness you show toward the English is very un-Irish. I read a lot of the other posts around the 606v2 forums, but only post on golf as that is the only area i can really contribute anything worthwhile. Other than your anti-english outbursts, you seem quite well informed and articulate, especially on rugby. I just wonder where the anti-English sentiment comes from? We don't ask for our pro's to be world number 1 and 2, and we are disappointed that they have again failed to perform. But that's not a reason for you to come on here and offend most of the posters on here!

Not anti English or British at all actually. Spend a lot of time there and have family all over Britain. I am off to Edinburgh on Friday. However one particular poster on here called the Irish "potato munchers" a comment which was received with amusement and applause by some posters on this thread. I haven't actually made any anti English posts other than to suggest their golfers are underachievers.

I had money on Justin Rose to win the open and would have liked to see him win after Clarke of course.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 10:14

I actually even quite like Pouler even though he can be a bit hard to stomach at times.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 10:15

The Irish are often described as potato munchers, knee cap smashers or bomb planters just as the Welsh are described as Sheep-sha**ers, leek muchers or the Scots Penny pinching tight arses or Sweaty socks.
It's hardly a big deal, get over it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 10:22

super_realist wrote:The Irish are often described as potato munchers, knee cap smashers or bomb planters just as the Welsh are described as Sheep-sha**ers, leek muchers or the Scots Penny pinching tight arses or Sweaty socks.

SR, I'm feeling left out down here in England!

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 10:23

I wouldn't want to offend your delicate sensibilities Harrison.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 10:28

racist...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 10:30

super_realist wrote:The Irish are often described as potato munchers, knee cap smashers or bomb planters just as the Welsh are described as Sheep-sha**ers, leek muchers or the Scots Penny pinching tight arses or Sweaty socks.

It takes a certain type of person to find such terms so amusing. Such people I have no time for.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 10:33

And a certain type of (simpering and sanctemonious) person who takes offence.

If all you've got to worry about is being referred to as a tatty muncher in response to your deliberately provacative posts then you've got a pretty easy life.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 10:36

super_realist wrote:And a certain type of (simpering and sanctemonious) person who takes offence.

If all you've got to worry about is being referred to as a tatty muncher in response to your deliberately provacative posts then you've got a pretty easy life.

Of course its easy - the big question is boiled, deep fried, mashed, steamed, suateed or dauphinoise...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Onetoanother Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 10:45

And whilst the golfers of NI win the majors and we all cheer - riots in Belfast show the other side of the sad introverted world they are living in.

But thats a whole other topic about religion...

*Ducks for cover*

Onetoanother

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 11:12

Onetoanother wrote:And whilst the golfers of NI win the majors and we all cheer - riots in Belfast show the other side of the sad introverted world they are living in.

*Ducks for cover*

Why you ducking? Is there a citizen from the western side of the city of Belfast lobbing debris in your direction? Wink

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:00

Onetoanother wrote:And whilst the golfers of NI win the majors and we all cheer - riots in Belfast show the other side of the sad introverted world they are living in.

*Ducks for cover*

The loyalists or whoever they are are ioting because they are bored. It's pathetic. You'd think they would just go for a pint or play a round of golf instead. Lifes too short.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:07

I'll happily give them some potatoes to play with, they could play ground green bowls, or marbles with them, then they wouldn't need to riot.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:14

super_realist wrote:I'll happily give them some potatoes to play with, they could play ground green bowls, or marbles with them, then they wouldn't need to riot.

I don't think you'd last a minute in any part of Ireland. I doubt you have ever been to NI and would struggle to locate it on a map.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:21

Course I would, but if they take themselves so seriously and are so petty, it's not an part of the world I'd really wanted to visit. If I wanted to go to an armpit of a place with inbuilt bigotry and general childishness and immaturity I could just drive down to Glasgow.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:23

Unfortunately one of the downsides around the time of majors/other big tournaments is that unbalanced, attention seeking WUMs come out from under their stones and bombard the boards with their nonsense.

Amazing that golfers from Northern Ireland has captured 3 majors in 13 months. Happy for all of them, it was also great to see Harrington (he who has a Scottish coach and American golf psychologist) win 3 quick majors a few years ago. But lo and behold Ireland is suddenly the centre of the golfing universe....eh???

Leinster, i dont particulary view golf divided along nationalistic lines in the same way as i do say football or rugby but.. Just to indulge you for a wee minute,
go check ALL of the facts and come back and tell us how many majors each country has won (over all time rather than your attention span capability)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:28

super_realist wrote:Course I would, but if they take themselves so seriously and are so petty, it's not an part of the world I'd really wanted to visit. If I wanted to go to an armpit of a place with inbuilt bigotry and general childishness and immaturity I could just drive down to Glasgow.

Maybe you should go to Glasgow. Youd fit in quite well amongst a small section of pathetic name calling football fans.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:30

JAS wrote:Unfortunately one of the downsides around the time of majors/other big tournaments is that unbalanced, attention seeking WUMs come out from under their stones and bombard the boards with their nonsense.

Amazing that golfers from Northern Ireland has captured 3 majors in 13 months. Happy for all of them, it was also great to see Harrington (he who has a Scottish coach and American golf psychologist) win 3 quick majors a few years ago. But lo and behold Ireland is suddenly the centre of the golfing universe....eh???

Leinster, i dont particulary view golf divided along nationalistic lines in the same way as i do say football or rugby but.. Just to indulge you for a wee minute,
go check ALL of the facts and come back and tell us how many majors each country has won (over all time rather than your attention span capability)

6 of the last 17 majors more than any other part of the world. Pretty phenomenal. Home of golf baby.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:30

I'd rather annexe Glasgow and NI and leave them to it. No one cares about their pathetic little issues.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:34

Seeing as Clarke,Gmac and Roars are memebers of the golfing Union of Ireland and I'm pretty sure they have all represented Ireland in golf at one stage,I think it is justifiable to claim they are Irish.

Don't mean to take away from a golden period of European and Northern Irish golf. Proud of all the lads as I'm sure many northern Irish people were when Harrington was winning.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:36

Northern Ireland is clearly the most successful golfing country in the world right now, its an amazing success story, possibly unprecedented in world sport right now. If I was Northern Irish I'd be ecstatic, or an Irish golfer full stop equally ecstatic.
It doesnt hurt to type any of that, they are just simple facts.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:38

If I was Chubby Chandler I'd be ecstatic. All three major winners this year - what air is he pumping into those private jets???

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:38

I'll do it for him, as I don't think he's up to it.

Scotland 54 Majors 1 per 93,000
England 34 Majors 1 per 1,500,000 people
Northern Ireland 4 Majors 1 per 400,000 people
Ireland 3 Majors 1 per 1,500,000 people
Wales 1 Major 1 per 2,930,000 people
USA 253 Majors 1 per 1,230,000 people

The last British winner of a major was in 1996 which is slightly worrying I guess, especially with the talent they have.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:40

Liver, the last British winner was last night, like it or not if you are from NI you are British, 4 weeks before it was McIlroy and the year before it was McDowell, before that it was Lawrie in 1999 then Faldo in 1996.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:49

super_realist wrote:Liver, the last British winner was last night, like it or not if you are from NI you are British, 4 weeks before it was McIlroy and the year before it was McDowell, before that it was Lawrie in 1999 then Faldo in 1996.

You have dual citizenship so you can be considered British or Irish. So the last British winner was yesterday but you could also say the last Irish winner was last night.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:50

I'm not disagreeing with that, but Liver was wrong to say 1996 was the last British winner, even if you discount those from NI, Paul Lawrie won in 1999.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:52

leinsterbaby wrote:

*Ducks for cover*

The loyalists or whoever they are are ioting because they are bored. It's pathetic. You'd think they would just go for a pint or play a round of golf instead. Lifes too short.

The same could be said of your original post!!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Tano Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:57

606 hasn't changed much I see.

Tano

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:58

Good grief, this is boring. Can we not just celebrate DC's win - as he apparently has been doing all night, according to Twitter? guinness
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:59

Hi Tano!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to see you, guinness

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 12:59

super_realist wrote:Liver, the last British winner was last night, like it or not if you are from NI you are British, 4 weeks before it was McIlroy and the year before it was McDowell, before that it was Lawrie in 1999 then Faldo in 1996.

Sorry, I shall rephrase and apologise for my error. The last winner of a golfing Major from Great Britain was in 1999, 12 years ago. My main point still stands though.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by detones Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 13:27

Irish / English / British / Japanese / Vulcan / Klingon who gives a flying monkeys.

I like to come on to this forum to read some thoughts and opinions on GOLF not on where people are from what country is best. I find the good humored banter too great to read but the general debate in this thread is pathetic. All who have being partaking in it the petty name calling and digs are guilty, not just the obvious WUMs.

If this is the shape of things to come for 606 V2 I don’t think ill be wasting my Lunch break reading this tripe again. Think I’ll go and read something more highbrow like the Sun or the back of this box of cornflakes. Roll on the next Kwini article because this is boring.

detones

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 13:44

This is all too predictable. The OP certainly knew what he was doing when he started this board and boy have you all obliged. All I will say is well done Darren Clarke. Couldn't have happened to a nicer or more genuine guy.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by _Ignited_ Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 15:44

Quite honestly I don't think I can see many posters from NI - just appears to be people stirring from the outside or deliberately bringing nationality issues into it.

In can say as a NI golf fan well done to big DC - most deserved. I felt the same for Gmac and Rory. Irish/British who cares - but they are are Northern Irish and everyone here will be proud.

_Ignited_

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 16:55

Nationality wise I class myself as Welsh and nothing else. I view an Englishman or a Scot the same as I view a South African or an American...a completely different nationality to me

I am British in terms of being born and living on the island of Britain but its not really an identity like being Welsh is

Ulster is not a part of the island of Britain therefore I would never class anyone from there as British

While I am gutted us Welsh dont have a decent golfer to cheer on at the moment I am pretty neutral in who I cheer I dont really care what the nationality if you take to a golfer you cheer them on either way

I wouldnt cling on to the whole "British" thing just to feel part of someones success. Clarke is a proud Irishman...and he has every right to be as well

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 17:22

Steffan
I think you'll find that large numbers of people in Northern Ireland are very proud to think of themselves as British.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 17:29

If the British government had just given them the whole of Ireland back in 1922 then none of this confusion over an Ulstermans nationality would be happening

Also its quite stupid that the government insists on keeping the X shape cross of St. Patrick on the Union Flag yet will not give Wales any recognition on there at all. Im all for disbanding the UK anyway so its no bother to me. Aside from a top golfer I wish us Welsh a revolutionary politician like Alex Salmond. That man is a legend

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 17:34

"If the British government had just given them the whole of Ireland back in 1922 then none of this confusion over an Ulstermans nationality would be happening"

It was mainly due to Ulster's insistence on remaining part of Britain that the British government didn't hand over the whole of Ireland in 1922.

"Also its quite stupid that the government insists on keeping the X shape cross of St. Patrick"

Doesn't the X shape cross come from the Scottish flag?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 17:35

steffan, salmond is a nightmare please take him

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 17:38

Apologies. I thought this was a golf forum. Must have clicked on the wrong link.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 17:39

Hoggy_Bear wrote:It was mainly due to Ulster's insistence on remaining part of Britain that the British government didn't hand over the whole of Ireland in 1922.

Well they should have given it back and it just tough on the ones who didnt like it. I dont want to be part of the UK but we all gotta live under some regime that we dont like one way or the other

Hoggy_Bear wrote:Doesn't the X shape cross come from the Scottish flag?

They are both on there mixed together

Last edited by Steffan on Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 17:40; edited 1 time in total

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 17:39

Is Salmond a golfing legend?
These British v wherever debates are getting tiresome and surely belong on another board??
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 18:05

"They are both on there mixed together."

Fair enough.
Seeing as it's widely believed that St. Patrick originated from Wales, Wales does have some representation on the Union Flag then Smile

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 18:15

I am Irish and very proud of the exploits of the Irish lads over the last few years but this sort of thread does us no favours at all.

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 18 Jul 2011 - 19:42

Totally agree with Ladyputt and Hogie that this thread is awful.

I would not think that there is one person in the whole of the UK who was not delighted to see Big D win.

A few numpties try to spoil the party for reasons best known to themselves.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next