The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Majors - better or worse?

+4
super_realist
Diggers
McLaren
drive4show
8 posters

Go down

Modern Majors - better or worse? Empty Modern Majors - better or worse?

Post by drive4show Sat 16 Jul 2011, 12:28 pm

As we now appear to be in the post Tiger era, I thought I would pose the following question.

Do Majors still hold the same kudos now that we seem to be in a period of a more level playing field? Nobody has dominated in the big 4 events since Tiger's downfall. Are they now easier to win as anyone now has a chance without the knowledge that TW was always likely to bag one or two of them most years? Or does that devalue them in some way because you now no longer have to be one of the very top players to win one?

In the last 3 years we've seen Immelman, Oosthuizen, Shwartzel, YE Yang, McDowell, Glover and Cabrera all win since Woods last major win. All very good players but the best in the world? Certainly not at the time they won.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Modern Majors - better or worse? Empty Re: Modern Majors - better or worse?

Post by McLaren Sat 16 Jul 2011, 2:28 pm

Not sure, but all I know is that I miss Tiger.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 16 Jul 2011, 3:29 pm

I persoanlly like a few genuine superstars to be playing, and I mean current ones, not past ones. And you need multiple majors to be a superstar so I guess if Rory, Schwartzel or Kaymer wins they will be putting together the makings of a stellar CV.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 16 Jul 2011, 3:42 pm

McLaren wrote:Not sure, but all I know is that I miss Tiger.

Rolling Eyes Laugh vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sat 16 Jul 2011, 5:20 pm

McLaren wrote:Not sure, but all I know is that I miss Tiger.
So do I. Like a hole in the head.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 16 Jul 2011, 7:13 pm

I used to like it when you could walk down the fairways with the players.

Two or three guys and a bit of rope was all that was needed to control the crowds.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 16 Jul 2011, 7:25 pm

Doon the Water wrote:I used to like it when you could walk down the fairways with the players.

Two or three guys and a bit of rope was all that was needed to control the crowds.

Couldn't happen these days, Woods and McIlroy would have been felated about 10 times each by the time they got to the green, and that's just the journalists.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 16 Jul 2011, 7:54 pm

drive4show wrote:As we now appear to be in the post Tiger era, I thought I would pose the following question.

Do Majors still hold the same kudos now that we seem to be in a period of a more level playing field? Nobody has dominated in the big 4 events since Tiger's downfall. Are they now easier to win as anyone now has a chance without the knowledge that TW was always likely to bag one or two of them most years? Or does that devalue them in some way because you now no longer have to be one of the very top players to win one?

In the last 3 years we've seen Immelman, Oosthuizen, Shwartzel, YE Yang, McDowell, Glover and Cabrera all win since Woods last major win. All very good players but the best in the world? Certainly not at the time they won.

Slightly odd post! Of course they're as good. You could equally argue it's harder to win one now - so many excellent players.

As for the "All very good players but the best in the world? Certainly not at the time they won.", what's that about?? Almost by definition (i.e. they just won a Major) they were exactly that for 4 days.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat 16 Jul 2011, 8:33 pm

Navy

yes indeed, they were the best for 4 days. But so many people make such a big deal about the importance of majors (see the thread about major or world #1) whereas the bottom line is it's just another 4 day tournament.

But the point I was trying (badly) to make is: Is it better to win a major by beating a dominant player or a level field? Would a winner think " I won a major by beating Woods at his peak" or "I won a major beating 150 other guys that are the same standard as me"

I know what I'm trying to say, maybe just not making my point coherently Rolling Eyes

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sat 16 Jul 2011, 8:38 pm

I think for instance YE Yang will be thinking i chased down Tiger and no one else has done that in major.

But in general i think, most people will be thinking i won a major and beat everyone, regardless of whether a dominant player was in the field.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down