The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wedge it like LJ

5 posters

Go down

Wedge it like LJ Empty Wedge it like LJ

Post by Noshankingtonite Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:12 pm

I had the good fortune to be in sunny Bournemouth for their Open last month. Played my 36 holes on 2 separate days (very mediocre) decided to kill a few hours before the fish and chip shop opened watching D4S and LJ play the afternoon round of their scratch open at Queens before wending my weary way back to Nam. It's always interesting to walk the course and watch far more accomplished players than you, to see how they shift it around the track. After spending 2 days in more woods foraging around than Bear Grylls and Ray Mears put together, I was encouraged to see D4S plant one straight into the most impenetrable treeline imaginable (we're talking 'Gorrillas in the Mist' thick) only to note that the spawny get had not only got his tee shot through the branches, but a goodly way up the track! I think he must pray nightly to Lord Whistle Bough for safe passage each time he pulls one.

I've really been struggling with the 80 yards in game this year; you name it I've done it - top, chilli-dip, slice, hook, shank, over-club, under-club, thin. Just couldn't find any rhythm; was almost resorting to using a rescue and bunting the damn thing along the ground. Then I started watching closely how LJ hits his 120 - 60 yard wedges. Even off the bare lies we were getting he was able to rip his hands through quite fast - really deliberate and achieve enormous height and back spin. On one hole off a dead pan lie, with about 15 feet between him and a 12 feet fence, he hit it virtually vertical, got it to stop dead on a down-slope green less than 50 feet away. Since then I've just been a lot more positive with my wedges, playing a full or 3/4 swing and trying to release my hands through contact. So if you ever get the chance to play with him and watch his game from 150 yards in, it's well worth it.

As for his driving..... now that's a different matter entirely Laugh
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Wedge it like LJ Empty Re: Wedge it like LJ

Post by JPX Wed 13 Jul 2011, 11:04 pm

Blimey, you'd think he was some sort of tour player to get that "review"

You forgot to mention that he had a no return! (if I remember rightly) Whistle

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 13 Jul 2011, 11:44 pm

Typical!

I miss my first fairway in 17 years and NST just happened to be there to witness it

Whistle

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 14 Jul 2011, 12:11 am

I hope this LJ fellow will come on here soon and provide an instructional video showing exactly how he achieves this. Clearly the sort of expertise this site needs.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu 14 Jul 2011, 8:21 am

JPX wrote:Blimey, you'd think he was some sort of tour player to get that "review"

You forgot to mention that he had a no return! (if I remember rightly) Whistle

Yeah driving was erratic for a cat1 player and some of his long irons were a bit wayward for someone of his standard (imvho), but approach shots, chipping and putting excellent.

You watch, come next week in our bounce Stableford around Old Fold Manor the b*gger will probably find the fairways and shoot a low one and D4S will probably be chipping them in from all angles. Could be a very long (but hopefully enjoyable) day Very Happy
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Jul 2011, 8:24 am

Where is LJ, not heard from him all week.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu 14 Jul 2011, 8:29 am

Is he cat 1? From the scores I've seen I though he was in 2 (I'm trying to coax him out as you can bet he'll be reading! devil )

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 14 Jul 2011, 1:41 pm

super_realist wrote:Where is LJ, not heard from him all week.

Erm......currently having 'a bit of a difference of opinion' with the admin team, I'm trying to coax him back.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down