The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buck Shelford v Zinzan Brooke

+8
yappysnap
ML
OzT
disneychilly
dummy_half
PenfroPete
Ozzy3213
Geordie
12 posters

Go down

Who's the better #8?

Buck Shelford v Zinzan Brooke Vote_lcap50%Buck Shelford v Zinzan Brooke Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 5 ]
Buck Shelford v Zinzan Brooke Vote_lcap50%Buck Shelford v Zinzan Brooke Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 10

Buck Shelford v Zinzan Brooke Empty Buck Shelford v Zinzan Brooke

Post by Geordie Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:45 pm

Whenever you see Greatest Teams etc, one spot always stands out....NO.8 and usually its between the above two.

So come on which do you choose and why? Zinzan for his alround skills...or Buck for his sheer ferocious physicality.

On a side note...Is Parise on these guys level as an 8?

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:12 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added Poll.)

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Buck Shelford v Zinzan Brooke Empty Re: Buck Shelford v Zinzan Brooke

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:52 pm

It is indeed a tough call between Buck and Zinzan. Their contrasting styles would tend to point towards a horses for courses selection, and may depend on who you selected at 6 and 7 in your team.

I genuinely cannot answer the question as to who was best, but what I would say is that if I was picking one of them to play for my life, then I would propbably plump for Shelford, who was tough as teak and would never ever give in.

And in answer to the Parisse question, it would be interesting to see him in an All Black or Springbok side to answer the question of whether he just shines in a poor Italy team or not. However we can only judge on the evidence before us, and on that I would say that he is a modern day great, but not quite at the same level as the two All Blacks here.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:56 pm

Whats the similarity between 50 cents (as in money not the 'artist') and Zinzan ? They're both worth half a BUCK

Both great players to be honest, but I'd just give it to Buck on the strength of the 'Battle of Nantes' -

"Playing only his second Test for the All Blacks against a physically intimidating French side, Shelford found himself at the bottom of a rather aggressive ruck on 20 minutes.
An errant Les Bleus stud found its way to his groin, where it somehow managed to tear his scrotum, leaving one testicle hanging out.

This alone would leave most men screaming in agony and heading for the nearest hospital. But not Shelford.
He calmly instructed the physio to stitch him up.
The French public were gobsmacked as an over-eager pitchside cameraman filmed the stomach-turning surgery, and even more so when Shelford returned to the field and carried on playing.
" Shocked

Last edited by PenfroPete on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:06 pm

I don't think too many would dispute that Shelford was one of the hardest barstewards to ever take the rugby field, and that he was a great player of his time.

However, I think the modern rule interpretations would make Zinzan a better fit in the current game - faster, more skilful and a more rounded player - in fact really the prototype for Parisse and Harry Ordinary.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:46 pm

Zinny was IMO the most skilful forward the game has ever seen. But he is a great because he did the hard yards first. Will never forget the 30 yard bullet he fired to Cullen from just outside his 22 in a Bledisloe game. Was amazing and you knew Cullen would score the second he caught it.

Has anyone got a story that trumps the one about Buck? As that'd probably be the thing that puts him at the top of the tree in hardness stakes.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:59 pm

Is it fact or fiction that he also played the same game with a broken arm ?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Colin Meads did, dunno about Buck.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:08 pm

Don't think so Falcon.

Think he ended up concussed in the same game though.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:12 pm

Read some bloke played with a broken neck for rest of the game, not too sure if that's hard or just fool hardy

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Buck Shelford is one of my all time favourite players.................but if i was coach/selector, Zinnie would get the nod every time in the modern game. Buck's physicality (that made him so special) wouldnt be tolerated by today's referees.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:19 pm

PenfroPete wrote:Whats the similarity between 50 cents (as in money not the 'artist') and Zinzan ? They're both worth half a BUCK

Both great players to be honest, but I'd just give it to Buck on the strength of the 'Battle of Nantes' -

"Playing only his second Test for the All Blacks against a physically intimidating French side, Shelford found himself at the bottom of a rather aggressive ruck on 20 minutes.
An errant Les Bleus stud found its way to his groin, where it somehow managed to tear his scrotum, leaving one testicle hanging out.

This alone would leave most men screaming in agony and heading for the nearest hospital. But not Shelford.
He calmly instructed the physio to stitch him up.
The French public were gobsmacked as an over-eager pitchside cameraman filmed the stomach-turning surgery, and even more so when Shelford returned to the field and carried on playing.
" Shocked

I was just a little sick in my mouth.

What a crazy hard bastad

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by digitalshade Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:32 pm

Zinzan was brilliant - remember his 50 yard drop goal against England in 95? He said the rest of the team expected it but they were all surprised he didn't do it with his left foot! Don't think there are many modern day forwards capable of that!

Buck was a tough nut though. Couldn't we have them both in the team?!

digitalshade

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:08 pm

Ah maybe im getting confused with Mr Meads...

Wasnt it the football goalkeeper Bert Trautman who played for man city with a broken neck...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:07 pm

zinny sat in the wings behind buck and michael jones for quite some time. he was so competitive in everything he did and blossomed hugely late. everything was a competition to zinny. He never gave anything away. Even getting on and off the team bus was a competition to zinny. so fircely, annoyingly at times, competetive.
I wonder why hes not putting back into the game.
Id love to see a coaching effort out of those 80's ABs. At least Kirwans doing his bit.
Wonder if he'll ever get the AB job.
I'd back him.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:02 pm

Maybe you answered the question there Taylorman. He could be so competitive that he couldn't handle being so close to the ABs without being in the team.

You are right that a wealth of knowledge is in that group of players. Some have but not enough. Always thought Kirk was underused.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:35 am

Zinny had the ego (in a good way),the skills etc
Buck was the warrior (the most succesful AB captain)the leader of men into battle.........

Zinny couldnt cut Bucks lunch.....

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by english warrior Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:39 am

It would have to be Zinzan in the skill and tactical dept, and Buck in the Warrior with guts leading his team , but both were truly great players, who would be a credit to any team ! But i feel that Zinzan was the more rounded player, so for me it would have to be him!

english warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down