The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martin Johnson has faith in his foreign legion

+28
welshy824
TheGreyGhost
freeman lowell
lostinwales
Luckless Pedestrian
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
RubyGuby
nottins_jones
PenfroPete
Notch
Portnoy
TrailApe
nathan
doctor_grey
snoopster
Rob B
Cumbrian
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Boyne
nottins
beshocked
G2
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
PJHolybloke
HammerofThunor
BigTrevsbigmac
robbo277
maestegmafia
32 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Martin Johnson has faith in his foreign legion Empty Martin Johnson has faith in his foreign legion

Post by maestegmafia Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:09 am

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/07/07/martin-johnson-has-faith-in-his-foreign-legion-91466-29007469/#ixzz1RSp2XCmy

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Martin Johnson has faith in his foreign legion Empty Re: Martin Johnson has faith in his foreign legion

Post by robbo277 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 4:38 am

Any article that references Banahan as an overseas player having been born in Jersey is not worth the e-paper it's written on.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Martin Johnson has faith in his foreign legion Empty Re: Martin Johnson has faith in his foreign legion

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 08 Jul 2011, 7:15 am

This is old news. Wales on Line are obviously struggling to find new news!

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 08 Jul 2011, 7:20 am

Could you image the headlines if he says "I'm not picking them because I don't think they're English enough". If that happened the I'd be on my down to Twickenham to call for him to go.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri 08 Jul 2011, 8:09 am

Tuilagis "shocking punch that felled Chris Ashton"?! Must have missed that one, the three I saw didn't "fell" him. I hate inacurate reporting.

Idle, banal and sooo boring - is TGG writing for the Mail now or what?
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 08 Jul 2011, 8:35 am

robbo277 wrote:Any article that references Banahan as an overseas player having been born in Jersey is not worth the e-paper it's written on.

Well its not in England or even Britain, and its over the sea.

I dont get all the obsession though. Wales have hardly any Englishmen in their side, and noone has a go at them. Erm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by G2 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 9:34 am

Do we have to go through this again

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 08 Jul 2011, 9:47 am

Really clutching at straws with the likes of Simpson,Sharples and Simon Shaw.

I would like to see this reporter and maestegmafia tell these guys they aren't English to their faces.

Stevens has an English father and grandfather by the way. He is also one of the best choices available.

I wouldn't pick Hape,Waldrom,Fourie and Flutey not because they are foreign but because there are better players overlooked for these overrated players.

Botha is debatable too but he is better than Shaw in my opinion, Attwood is injured isn't he? Also Botha is an AP champion. Can any other locks bar Borthwick looking for England selection say that?

Anyway this is the pot calling the kettle black anyway. Every country has had their fair share of so called "foreigners".

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:03 am

Where's the yawn emoticon for this article when you need it!?

Last edited by SafeAsMilk on Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo!)

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:05 am

Why are you posting this inaccurrate, boring tripe ? Did you or TGG write the article ?

Did anybody actually interview Martin Johnson ? I wonder when they'll be writing similiar articles about France, Italy, New Zealand, Australia, Wales, Ireland, Scotland etc, etc ?

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:08 am

13 overseas players!!!! WOW.

I knew England had some but, nearly a whole team??

Bit of a disgrace if you ask me...

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:09 am

Boyne wrote:13 overseas players!!!! WOW.

Where was Ronan O'Gara born ?

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:10 am

Ha, ha, naughty Boyne laughing

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:14 am

O Gara was born in California and spent all most of his formative rugby playing life there (8 weeks).

His Dad was a professor on a work placement in Uni over there for a few months.

Hardly a "Tuilagi" situation.

Smile

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:20 am

O'Gara is American.

Something most Irishmen want to be. It's the Bud-Lite that bring them over in droves... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:30 am

It’s a funny article.

Including Sharples, Corbisero and Simpson as ‘foreigners’ is completely laughable. They were are all born to English parents and came to England when they were very young children (under five). Simon Shaw and Matt Banahan aren’t English? Please!?! I’ll tell Matt that he has got to represent Jersey at international level shall I?

They criticise the selection of Manu Tuilagi, but I wonder what their views are on Toby Faletau, Ben Morgan or Andries Pretorious?

Tom Shanklin, Luke Charteris , George North and Jonathan Davies were born in England to Welsh parents, does that the therefore mean that they aren’t Welsh?

Bloody ridiculous and hypocritical article.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:32 am

I'm not sure how English Corbisiero's parents are but didn't one of his grandfathers move to New York from Italy? Suggests one of his parents is American at least. Still he was in England from 4 years old.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:33 am

Bit like the English cricket team - 6 South Africans in it. Might as well call it the SA second XI.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:38 am

HammerofThunor wrote:I'm not sure how English Corbisiero's parents are but didn't one of his grandfathers move to New York from Italy? Suggests one of his parents is American at least. Still he was in England from 4 years old.

English mother, American father.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/8318386/England-v-Italy-London-Irish-prop-Alex-Corbisiero-brought-in-to-replace-injured-Andrew-Sheridan.html
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:38 am

Rob B wrote:Bit like the English cricket team - 6 South Africans in it. Might as well call it the SA second XI.

Which beat the SA 1st XI recently!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:42 am

Cumbrian wrote:Bloody ridiculous and hypocritical article.
Well, it is walesonline which is like NOTW (without the phone-hacking). Still, some folk seem to lap it up ...

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed insult to another poster. Play nice all)

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:43 am

Cumbrian wrote:It’s a funny article.

Including Sharples, Corbisero and Simpson as ‘foreigners’ is completely laughable. They were are all born to English parents and came to England when they were very young children (under five). Simon Shaw and Matt Banahan aren’t English? Please!?! I’ll tell Matt that he has got to represent Jersey at international level shall I?

They criticise the selection of Manu Tuilagi, but I wonder what their views are on Toby Faletau, Ben Morgan or Andries Pretorious?

Ben Morgan and Andries Pretorious are not Wales players.

Faletau is a good example of Hypocrisy. He is a Tongan born player, with Tongan parents, who has been in Wales since age seven. I personally think he should play for Tonga, but he wants to play for Wales.

Cumbrian wrote:Tom Shanklin, Luke Charteris , George North and Jonathan Davies were born in England to Welsh parents, does that the therefore mean that they aren’t Welsh?
No Because they are Welsh and have Welsh Parents. Most of the 13 overseas players England have selected do not.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopster Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:49 am

From a reply to a Guardian article about the "foreign" players in England's squad, and a suggestion that Corbisiero and Armitage rounding off the group would make junior coaches cry, by Corbisiero's dad (hopefully he won't mind me quoting it, as I think he made the point about how "foreign" his son is very well)

I think some of the innuendos in this article are unfair. The stats are what they are but take Alex as an example. His father me is American. I met my british wife Loraine when I was on a five year business assignment. We moved back to the United States for seven years where we had Alex and his sister Claudia and then returned back to the UK where we had another child Oliver. We have lived in England ever since ... Alex started playing mini rugby at 4 years of Age at KCS old boys then moved to London Scottish Cobham and London Welsh RFC's . He played for Surrey and along the way was invited to try out for EPDG at London Irish and then worked his way up ladder through the academy and on to the first team...... I struggle to see how he is a foreign import? Does spending summers with his grand parents in New York make him any less English?
I doubt Torqueil Gynell and Paddy Ralston, Alex mini rugby coaches at cobham wept because he showed up for practice ....... He still visits the club and one of his first shirts is on the wall there.
Delon was born overseas his mom settled in the UK with an English father , played club rugby and worked his way through the Academy at London Irish.... is he any less English?

What should Alex do get on a plane and train with the Eagles? Delon for some Caribean Club? Just because both possess one foreign parent doesn't make either of theany less English.

Rick Corbisiero aka Father of Beast

I think that last paragraph is really at the heart of it - most of the supposedly "foreign" players would be even more foreign playing for any team other than England

snoopster

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopster Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:50 am

Rob B wrote:Bit like the English cricket team - 6 South Africans in it. Might as well call it the SA second XI.

Why should the England team adopt the name of it's official feeder team?

snoopster

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:51 am

I am in America (New Jersey) for the summer. And I can tell you the US team would die for a chance to lock up a ROG or Corbs. But, alas, both players have flown their birth nest back to the cozier confines of their partial ancestral homelands. Cowards! Swine! Well, maybe not.

For guys like these, there is no reason to re-chew this same old biscuit. Raised in the countries they represent. For the other guys who come over as adults, still worth the discussion until we find the solution and re-write the rules. Then we can present our new rules to the IRB.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:55 am

Snoopster,
That's a great quote. Thanks for posting it.
Can read the emotion in it as well.
100% agree with the sentiments.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:59 am

The Wales online articles make me laugh, these articles always come out when they haven't anything good to say about the Wales team!

Boyne,

Tuilagi has spent his whole Rugby and School life here in Leicester, I think he deserves to be called english!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:01 am

I know it's a low level dig, and its getting pretty yawnoriphic (TM), AND i DON'T MIND OUR cymru fella's dropping in for a quick dig, but Boyne - I'm deeply hurt, cut to the quick.

Let's look at the Irish 43 training squad......

Tom Court Australia
Brett Wilkinson South Africa
Mike McCarthy England
Jamie Heaslip Israel
Isaac Boss New Zealand
Ronan O'Gara USA

Pile of bellox isn't it, but glass houses etc etc etc.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:16 am

As an instrument of journalism, the Western Mail has just about one thing going for it: it's not owned by the Dirty Digger. Wallaby
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:18 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:It’s a funny article.

Ben Morgan and Andries Pretorious are not Wales players.

Faletau is a good example of Hypocrisy. He is a Tongan born player, with Tongan parents, who has been in Wales since age seven. I personally think he should play for Tonga, but he wants to play for Wales.

Cumbrian wrote:Tom Shanklin, Luke Charteris , George North and Jonathan Davies were born in England to Welsh parents, does that the therefore mean that they aren’t Welsh?
No Because they are Welsh and have Welsh Parents. Most of the 13 overseas players England have selected do not.

No, your manager just asked Morgan to turn down an England call so he still has the opportunity in the future. Now, looking into my eyes, not around the eyes into my eyes answer me this. If Pretorious turns out to be good enough (having already pledged his future to Wales), will or won’t he be picked?

All the players I quoted are English and have English parents too.

How do you define Most?

Stevens : English father
Hartley: English mother (came to England when he was 14)
Shaw: English parents (Lived in England most of his life)
Simpson: English parent (Came to England as a young child)
Sharples: English parent (Came to England as a young child)
Corbisiero: English parent (Came to England when he was four)
Armitage: Has and English step father, came through the London Irish academy.
Banahan: Do you seriously have a problem with this?

Manu Tuilagi came to England when he was thirteen and as Manu says himself:

Manu said: "I was born in Samoa and came over at the age of 13, so all my rugby pretty much has been learned in England and Leicester have been great for me every step of the way. You don't get anything free and easy there.”

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Manu-Tuilagi-ready-big-step-World-Cup-dream/story-12042805-detail/story.html

Not happy about some choices myself, but ‘most’ is just plain wrong.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:45 am

Going by Wales Onlines criteria, Jamie Heaslip and Ronan O'Gara would be considered overseas players Boyne.

Rag Rolling Eyes
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:48 am

Seriously what a pathetic, recycled article; only written as a points scoring exercise against the English.

Seems some Welsh 'journalists' are nothing more than parochial wind-up merchants with a chip on their shoulder.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:50 am

Notch wrote:Seriously what a pathetic, recycled article; only written as a points scoring exercise against the English.

Seems some Welsh 'journalists' are nothing more than parochial wind-up merchants with a chip on their shoulder.

I completely agree Notch, it makes you wonder if how of those "journalists" actually earn a crust.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:54 am

Notch wrote: nothing more than parochial wind-up merchants with a chip on their shoulder.
Get it right Notch - it' s both shoulders Wink
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:54 am

Boyne wrote:O Gara was born in California and spent all most of his formative rugby playing life there (8 weeks).

Smile

Well said boyne. I think it's pretty ridiculous when people clutch straws over a players birthplace. Doh I remember the amount of straws clutched by the English over our Wales Rugby product George North after earning his first cap and it was rather silly. I mean it's not like we're the largest/richest Union and he's a former NZ Maori, former NZ RL player, a South African or a Tuilagi is it???
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:55 am

PenfroPete wrote:
Notch wrote: nothing more than parochial wind-up merchants with a chip on their shoulder.
Get it right Notch - it' s both shoulders Wink

Apologies Penfro. Quite right Wink

It is shocking though. The Welsh should take an example of how us rugby folk from Ulster are able to look at things in a... eh? Oh.

Carry on!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:56 am

Notch wrote:

Notch, you should read Paul Ackfords column more often, you'd develop a much more balanced view on the anglo-welsh reporting - Ackford makes Anne Robinson look like a member of Owain Glyn Dwr thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:58 am

Boyne wrote:O Gara was born in California and spent all most of his formative rugby playing life there (8 weeks).

Smile

Guess what? Two of the players listed- Charlie Sharples and Joe Simpson- were born overseas to English parents and moved back to England as very young children. That's my entire point you've just missed Rolling Eyes
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:06 pm

RubyGuby wrote:
Notch wrote:

Notch, you should read Paul Ackfords column more often, you'd develop a much more balanced view on the anglo-welsh reporting - Ackford makes Anne Robinson look like a member of Owain Glyn Dwr thumbsup

I think he hates England and Martin Johnson more, going by some of his articles. He just peddles anger and niggle as he knows they sell.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:07 pm

"He just peddles anger and niggle as he knows they sell.."

Bit like a 606 poster then Very Happy

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:08 pm

The FACT is all those players who may have been born overseas ARE actually qualified to play for England, whereas some other countries have capped players who haven't actually been qualified to play for their country they've represented.......

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm

nottins wrote:The FACT is all those players who may have been born overseas ARE actually qualified to play for England, whereas some other countries have capped players who haven't actually been qualified to play for their country they've represented.......

True. Frank Bunce should never have been capped by Samoa Whistle Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:11 pm

RubyGuby wrote:"He just peddles anger and niggle as he knows they sell.."

Bit like a 606 poster then Very Happy

Nobodies buying. that's just for Poopie and giggles [just trying out the swear buffer]

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:12 pm

We started it all with Prince Obolensky. How dare he get an English cap after only living here since he was 1 year old.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopster Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:16 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:We started it all with Prince Obolensky. How dare he get an English cap after only living here since he was 1 year old.

'tis a fair point. He should have been told he should play for Russia... oh wait Wink

snoopster

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:16 pm

Cumbrian

"No, your manager just asked Morgan to turn down an England call so he still has the opportunity in the future. Now, looking into my eyes, not around the eyes into my eyes answer me this. If Pretorious turns out to be good enough (having already pledged his future to Wales), will or won’t he be picked?"

Did our Manager ask Ben Morgan to do this??? An England Saxons call-up, hardly flattering.
Pretorious has been looking pretty good for the Blues and has pledged his future to Wales. When the time comes he'll likely get picked, probably as cover for no.8. Hardly suprising given our lack of 8's although it does send out the wrong message. It hasn't happened yet though but when it does feel free to come back and lets us know. Hug

Until then...what about England, the largest Union, relying on overseas mercenairies instead of their players that have come through the England acadamies? You know there's something up with the transition into senior national level when this is happening.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:20 pm

nottins_jones wrote:Cumbrian

Until then...what about England, the largest Union, relying on overseas mercenairies instead of their players that have come through the England acadamies? You know there's something up with the transition into senior national level when this is happening.

Name ALL these "overseas mercenaries" that England are relying on.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:24 pm

nottins wrote:

Name ALL these "overseas mercenaries" that England are relying on.

Sure thing: Dylan Hartley, Shontayne Hape, Hendre Fourie, Thomas Waldrom, Mouritz Botha... Past-time mercenaries include Riki Flutey, Mike Catt, etc...

Last edited by nottins_jones on Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error XD)
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:25 pm

"No, your manager just asked Morgan to turn down an England call so he still has the opportunity in the future. Now, looking into my eyes, not around the eyes into my eyes answer me this. If Pretorious turns out to be good enough (having already pledged his future to Wales), will or won’t he be picked?"

Did our Manager ask Ben Morgan to do this??? An England Saxons call-up, hardly flattering.
Pretorious has been looking pretty good for the Blues and has pledged his future to Wales. When the time comes he'll likely get picked, probably as cover for no.8. Hardly suprising given our lack of 8's although it does send out the wrong message. It hasn't happened yet though but when it does feel free to come back and lets us know. Hug

Yes he did LINK

Do you think he should just jump ahead of the Saxons? They aren't there to flatter him. Standard development has players go through the Saxons before making the step up.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:28 pm

Can we stop the silliness now? England aren't relying on foreign players. They're just not discriminating based on it. If they're legally qualified they're an option.

Someone is bound to start talking about grannygate soon (oops Wink)

Oh and Hartley did come through the academy system. And he moved here when he was 16 not 14

Last edited by HammerofThunor on Fri 08 Jul 2011, 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next