The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Enzo Maccarinelli back with coach Enzo Calzaghe

+3
Soldier_Of_Fortune
TRUSSMAN66
Steffan
7 posters

Go down

Enzo Maccarinelli back with coach Enzo Calzaghe Empty Enzo Maccarinelli back with coach Enzo Calzaghe

Post by Steffan Mon 04 Jul 2011, 4:36 pm

(Original article from BBC Sport)

Enzo Maccarinelli has returned to former coach Enzo Calzaghe as he aims to resurrect his career by moving to the light-heavyweight division.

Calzaghe, who coached son Joe to be a two-weight world champion, is back training after a year-long break.

Maccarinelli, the former cruiserweight WBO world champion, hopes to fight again within the next month.

The Swansea boxer, 30, is keen to make a comeback. Maccarinelli was highly-regarded during his successful four-defence reign of the WBO world cruiserweight crown between 2006 and 2008 when Calzaghe guided the Swansea boxer.

The man dubbed 'Big Mac' will now fight in the 175lb division where he could face friend and fellow countryman Nathan Cleverly.

Maccarinelli challenged Cleverly to an all-Welsh clash after watching the 24-year-old mathematics graduate defend his WBO light-heavyweight belt for the first time against Aleksy Kuziemski in May.

"That's definitely a fight that's on the cards and what a big Welsh fight that would be - hopefully at Swansea's Liberty Stadium," said Maccarinelli after throwing down the challenge.

Cleverly has responded by saying he was targeting "the big American names".

Regards

Steffan

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Enzo Maccarinelli back with coach Enzo Calzaghe Empty Re: Enzo Maccarinelli back with coach Enzo Calzaghe

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 04 Jul 2011, 4:38 pm

No offence but who gives a toss...what this useless bag of lard is doing and who with????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Enzo Maccarinelli back with coach Enzo Calzaghe Empty Re: Enzo Maccarinelli back with coach Enzo Calzaghe

Post by Steffan Mon 04 Jul 2011, 4:39 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No offence but who gives a toss...what this useless bag of lard is doing and who with????

I was just trying to talk boxing

My mistake.....

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 04 Jul 2011, 4:43 pm

Cant you type your own article rather the copying and pasting articles that most people have read anyway?

I cant see Enzo improving his chin my dropping down.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 04 Jul 2011, 4:45 pm

Wish he would retire, an accident waiting to happen and he seems like a really nice guy.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 04 Jul 2011, 4:45 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Cant you type your own article rather the copying and pasting articles that most people have read anyway?

Yes but im not going to

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:I cant see Enzo improving his chin my dropping down.

I actually think Enzo could give Clev a run for his money. Clev aint a huge hitter and his defense is poor. Tactically Clev is a better fighter but if Enzo managed to land a big one it could be different story

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 04 Jul 2011, 4:47 pm

How can he give a guy with talent any trouble!!!

By bleeding himself to get to 175 he'll be putting himself in danger....

Wouldn't mind but if useless stiffs can make him lick the canvas clean..

God knows what Cleverly will do..

He was useless but made a few bucks..Now go away Maccaspaghettit and we'll forget you ever existed..

Won't be hard..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 04 Jul 2011, 4:48 pm

Fair enough

Is Enzo goin to have the same power at light heavy?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 04 Jul 2011, 4:50 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Fair enough

Is Enzo goin to have the same power at light heavy?

Hard to say I guess. His power is no issue though I think its mainly his chin

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 04 Jul 2011, 4:58 pm

I think Enzo should give it one last run at LHW, all the best to him.

Whilst in writing did anyone see Enzo's scoring for the Hay/Klit fight he did for the Daily Mail for Sunday's paper?

He's obviously still bitter about getting spanked by Haye as he was so negative and critical towards Haye it was laughable!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 04 Jul 2011, 5:09 pm

Alright...he was slow and ponderous at cruiser...Got hammered off average fighters!!!

You honestly think he goes down to the even quicker more talented 175 and competes??

Come on what is wrong with you ...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 04 Jul 2011, 5:31 pm

Trussman66 - way too negative towards Big Mac. He wasn't half bad and certainly not useless. Decent champion who had a few decent wins. His win against Wayne Braithwaite was his best win and a quality performance in a fight many thought was 50/50. Completely shut out a a decent former champ in Braithwaite.

Macca aint no ATG but geez man you're way too harsh! Not the best UK world champion ever but certainly not the worst either.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 04 Jul 2011, 5:38 pm

Wow Trussman, not mincing your words today are you!?

That said, I do agree wholeheartedly with you; Maccarinelli, at best, was a 'right place, right time' champion in an extremely average division. What masked his limitations (to a certain extent) during his WBO tenure was that he had confidence, which is why he was daft enough to stand in front of Haye and let him come at him. Once Haye demolished him, that confidence was smashed to bits and he's since become easy prey for any high European level fighter between 175 lb and 200 lb.

Absolutely no doubt about it, Maccarinelli should retire. If ever a fighter has overachieved, it's him, so he should be content that he picked up a title and defended a few times. I, for one, don't want to see him brutalized in the ring again as he seems like a good bloke, but make no mistake, with a questionable set of whiskers, a smashed psyche and absolutely no ability at all when it comes to boxing on the back foot, that's exactly what will happen if he were to face Cleverly, or any other top ten Light-Heavyweight.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down