The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Late or Early - when would you arrive??

+3
The Galveston Giant
6oldenbhoy
TRUSSMAN66
7 posters

Go down

Late or Early - when would you arrive?? Empty Late or Early - when would you arrive??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 1:55 pm

I only had a few fights but found that the less time I had in the dressing room to think about it and to psyche myself out the better...However It gave me less time to prepare mentally (meticulously working out what you'll do in the fight etc), think.. and less time to warm up. But it suited me because I liked to leave everything to the last minute (interviews etc) because I've always like to compartmentalise everything and I knew with time on my hands I might start thinking negatively..and tire myself out before the fight...My amateur record was no great shakes..

My question is what you'd do and what you think Haye would be better doing...

Me I think he should arrive as late as possible..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Late or Early - when would you arrive?? Empty Re: Late or Early - when would you arrive??

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 02 Jul 2011, 2:06 pm

Depends on your personality. Marciano used to arrive early so he could have a nap before hand. Don't think Haye will want to do that, but I guess he'll know what suits him best.

Personally I'd like to be there as early as possible to make sure I've prepared properly. I wouldn't want to be walking to the ring thinking I could have done things better.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Late or Early - when would you arrive?? Empty Re: Late or Early - when would you arrive??

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 02 Jul 2011, 2:29 pm

First of i'll say i wouldn't have a choice about what time i turn up at, i need to be weighed in and depending on where i box that could be many hours before the fight, if i fight in the same hotel i'm staying in then fine, if not then that's me at the show with no options, if i then fight near the end of the bill i have a long wait, you must have obviously been different. That's amatuer though and the professional game is completely different, fighters have already weighed in the day before and can attend as late as they like. I remember Scott Harrison nearly missing the start of one of his title defenses due to leaving too late, and then getting stuck in traffic after a car had crashed ahead. It all depends on the fighter, there will be a big support for Haye and i expect them to be very vocal, he would be best to soak a bit of that atmosphere up. I'm not sure what time he will arrive but i don't expect it to be late, it's the biggest fight of his career and his preperation has been great so far, he will be there early i would imagine.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 02 Jul 2011, 2:48 pm

i am learning to box, but never fought anyone, but i have fought in karate tourements, and have to say hated been late, used to show up about 10am in the morning, even though it didnt normally begin till the afternoon, just to be around it all and get used to the atmosphere

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 02 Jul 2011, 2:55 pm

I would arrive later, well late as premature arrival is not something I am known for.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 02 Jul 2011, 3:06 pm

I think for a fighter especially a champ the mental anguish you cause your opponent works in your favour. I am reminded of Naz v Kevin Kelly. I can remember how frustrated with Naz Kelly was because he had been made to wait in the ring longer then normal as Naz danced through the ring walk.

From a personal point of view, when I was competing (i boxed briefly but competed mainly in Muay Tai) I had the overwhelming feeling of getting it over with. I did not like to spend a second thinking about the fight but mostly I hated to see any fight before mine. Call it nerves but I trained myself to be in condition so that I was physically ready and felt good, but I never trained myself to control the mental aspects of the fight.

In Hayes case I think he has come all this way playing mind games, constantly goading Klitschko that he might as well continue up to the last minute.

About time an article a little different and 1 that requires thought. Great thread.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 02 Jul 2011, 3:09 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:I think for a fighter especially a champ the mental anguish you cause your opponent works in your favour. I am reminded of Naz v Kevin Kelly. I can remember how frustrated with Naz Kelly was because he had been made to wait in the ring longer then normal as Naz danced through the ring walk.

From a personal point of view, when I was competing (i boxed briefly but competed mainly in Muay Tai) I had the overwhelming feeling of getting it over with. I did not like to spend a second thinking about the fight but mostly I hated to see any fight before mine. Call it nerves but I trained myself to be in condition so that I was physically ready and felt good, but I never trained myself to control the mental aspects of the fight.

In Hayes case I think he has come all this way playing mind games, constantly goading Klitschko that he might as well continue up to the last minute.

About time an article a little different and 1 that requires thought. Great thread.

If Haye was to come to the ring last then i would expect him to make Wlad wait, he's coming second though and won't be able to use that trick, not sure if Wlad will use it, get his own back maybe.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 02 Jul 2011, 3:21 pm

Wlad will do something over the top im sure but if he wanted to really mess with David's head then he should come out Tyson style, no messing around, no music, no thrills just 1 man approaching the ring ready to take care of buisness.

Apparently Wlad has ex pros like Lewis, Forman and Tyson lined up for 1 of his ring walk specials which alone is worth 15 squid.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 02 Jul 2011, 3:28 pm

I expect something fancy from Wlad that's for sure.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:23 pm

Good post onetwo....You're right I never wanted to watch other fights either..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:27 pm

I used to fight in karate and taekwondo tournaments. I hated getting there too early and having to wait around, I'm not the most patient person and prefer to get in and crack on in everything I do. But everyones different, haye might want to soak up some of the atmosphere and use the extra time to focus himself. If it was me I'd get there fairly late on, but who knows what haye will do. As long as he wins I don't care if he arrives 5 minutes before the fight then rushes off when it's over coz he's parked on a double yellow.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:29 pm

There are people who get excited and those who expend nervous energy......

I know your Mrs is of the former persuasion Sweetie...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:There are people who get excited and those who expend nervous energy......

I know your Mrs is of the former persuasion Sweetie...

My missus is way out of your league Truss, she prefers the younger, slimmer good looking Italian type to the portly, pasty faced over the hill American model:)
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:43 pm

Less of the over-the-hill........ Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:52 pm

Arnold was never worried about himself on the day of the competition because he knew he was prepared from months of training. He was more worried about the other guys and what he could do to psyche them out.

I think Team Haye will try to pull one last stunt whether its an argument over how hands are wrapped or something else.

Wlad will do something special for the ring entrance which means Haye is going to be waiting in the ring. Shouldn't be a problem as he knows what to expect.

Remember Vitali's comeback fight with all the World Champs as holograms.
Vitali's is one intimidating f'r on the ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc4_lGD-UWc&feature=related

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:55 pm

Strongback wrote:Arnold was never worried about himself on the day of the competition because he knew he was prepared from months of training. He was more worried about the other guys and what he could do to psyche them out.

I think Team Haye will try to pull one last stunt whether its an argument over how hands are wrapped or something else.

Wlad will do something special for the ring entrance which means Haye is going to be waiting in the ring. Shouldn't be a problem as he knows what to expect.

Remember Vitali's comeback fight with all the World Champs as holograms.
Vitali's is one intimidating f'r on the ring.

I think Haye may try something at the last minute to annoy Wlad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc4_lGD-UWc&feature=related

The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sat 02 Jul 2011, 7:15 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Less of the over-the-hill........ Wink

censored thumbsup
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 02 Jul 2011, 8:04 pm

Haye arrival at stadium - 19.05pm.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 02 Jul 2011, 8:10 pm

Vladimir arrival - 19.57pm.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 8:10 pm

Cheers Galvy....

Haven't been this excited since I met my Wife.....

and that soon dissipitated!!

Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Jul 2011, 8:12 pm

Haye having a bit time in the ring before hand having a good look around & getting in the zone.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 8:14 pm

This time tomorrow whoever wins we'll be on a downer boys!!!

I'll have a moaning pregnant number 2....wanting to go shopping somewhere and the adrenalin rush that you only get with a fight will be over..

Man I remember the Hagler-Hearns, Curry-Mccrory, Tyson buildups.......

Like a kid in a candy store..wish I could go back..

Kind of feel sorry for guys and chicks that don't love Boxing..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down