The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad

+12
BlueMuff
Submachine
red_stag
bathmad
thebandwagonsociety
MMC
Boyne
Feagh McHugh
rodders
Tayto
Thomond
pete (buachaill on eirne)
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad (multi choice)

IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 18 ]
IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 16 ]
IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 4 ]
IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 21 ]
IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 5 ]
IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 17 ]
IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 18 ]
IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 8 ]
IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 4 ]
IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 9 ]
IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 6 ]
[ 19 ]
[ 6 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 19 ]
IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 12 ]

Total Votes : 185

IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Empty IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 30 Jun 2011, 12:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

Simple question, who would you leave out of the 30 man squad and why please?

Please think of things like forwards to backs splits, the need for certain types of player and so on.

The vote is multi-choice.

Provincial nonesense: Let's leave it out guys. Hug

Back to top Go down

IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Empty Re: IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 01 Jul 2011, 3:14 pm

roddersm wrote:Sin scoring two tries against Wales two seasons ago does not make earls an international centre.

Munster have not had a decent centre combo since Tipoki left and Earls looked pretty uncomfortable there in my opinion. I think he is a back 3 player and does not have the skill set to be a centre.

He may well get the nod at 13 should BOD get injured but it is certainly not his best position and to me he is no more experienced or qualified to play there than any of the other options available.

Couldn't agree more!

Back to top Go down

IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad - Page 2 Empty Re: IRELAND: Who would YOU leave out of the 30 man RWC squad

Post by Sin é Fri 01 Jul 2011, 3:28 pm

roddersm wrote:Sin scoring two tries against Wales two seasons ago does not make earls an international centre.

Munster have not had a decent centre combo since Tipoki left and Earls looked pretty uncomfortable there in my opinion. I think he is a back 3 player and does not have the skill set to be a centre.

He may well get the nod at 13 should BOD get injured but it is certainly not his best position and to me he is no more experienced or qualified to play there than any of the other options available.

I think Earls looks very comfortable at 13 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTeK17yVaps (Impressive kicking from Leamy, wouldn't you say). Jean de Villiers & Earls were coming together nicely (even though Earls wasn't 100 fit). If Reddan is the starting SH, you need a centre with a good kicking game to clear up Reddan's hairbrained attempts at starting an attack from your own 22 (watch the Magners Final). BOD does a fair bit of tidying up with his kicking.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 01 Jul 2011, 3:51 pm

Sin you old cad you! Very Happy

That clip only proves two things, both of which we already know:

1) Earls is a fantastic broken field runner, hence he's better in the back 3

2) Munster cheat a lot at the breakdown and should have been penalised twice in that clip (in fact Buckley should have had a yellow)!!

guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 01 Jul 2011, 4:50 pm

roddersm wrote:Sin you old cad you! Very Happy

That clip only proves two things, both of which we already know:

1) Earls is a fantastic broken field runner, hence he's better in the back 3

2) Munster cheat a lot at the breakdown and should have been penalised twice in that clip (in fact Buckley should have had a yellow)!!

guinness

The truth hurts alright. Hug

That clip proves that basically Earls looks comfortable anywhere on a rugby pitch from 12 to 15, particularly when given a bit of a run OK

By the way, he played at 13 for Munster for their big win over Australia last autumn.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Fri 01 Jul 2011, 10:40 pm

Sin é wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:Pete - There're aren't necessarily 4 back three players in every match. There have been occasions where a FH or SH has dropped back, especially in a 5/2 bench split. No team would ever be without a backrow on the bench though.

My point is that the backrow players are far more likely to get fatigued and injured than the back three players, because they are at the coal face in the contact area. They generally make and receive far more tackles, as well as rucking/counterrucking, maul and set piece work.

However there are two wingers and a fullback who need to be increasingly interchangeable in the modern game so I agree that makes three players. As far as I'm concerned Jones is a complete unknown playing wing at any level so can't be considered as cover there. Either he is picked as a first/second choice fullback alongside Earls or not at all. (Same goes for Kearney.)

In the last RWC Brian Carney made the plane and Jamie Heaslip didn't because Eddie went 16/14 rather than 17/13. If Heaslip had been there he surely would have been tactically used with Leamy so off-colour, whereas Carney was pure injury cover for one position.

Alan Quinlan didn't get a game either, so I doubt if Heislip of 4 years ago would have been of much use. Anyway, I don't think Leamy is the only one who had a poor world cup so the chances are that Heaslip would have been as equally poor. EOS got the prep wrong. Bear in mind that the Ireland pack in the world cup went onto win the Heineken Cup with Leamy. (Which by the way, SOB is not an 8 - Parisse ate him alive in the 6ns and we have Italy in our group).

Bearing in mind that BOD loves his rucking and getting stuck into things and might need a rest - do you not think Keith Earls might be a wee bit stretched as the only experienced centre, playing wing and having to cover fullback as well as centre?

EOS got everything wrong especially not developing any depth. Ferris also went but didn't get a game so it's hardly any wonder that the players (esp. backrow) looked exhausted. Heaslip still made the Magners Dream team the previous season so I reckon he would have been of some use if Eddie had touched the untouchable Leamy. BTW I've picked Leamy to go to this one because IMO he is the best 8 cover Ireland have and I don't want Heaslip to play every game. Either way EOS's selections were ridiculous so it didn't matter what split he had as he didn't use the squad anyway. Kidney OTOH will use the full squad to keep his match-winners fresh.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 01 Jul 2011, 11:49 pm

Earls is a decent centre, he's just better in the back three. I don't really have any problem with him playing there; he's ok. He probably needs a wee bit of gametime there. I prefer him to Trimble and Fitzgerald, and I think Bowe is more valuable at 14 even if he is a bit more suited to the role.

Bit of a drop-off after O'Driscoll. McFadden, Spence and Cave all probably won't go. So I'm happy enough Earls is our best cover.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2