The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You have to love gavin rees

+4
School Project
TRUSSMAN66
WelshDevilRob
1weight1champ
8 posters

Go down

You have to love gavin rees Empty You have to love gavin rees

Post by 1weight1champ Fri 17 Jun 2011, 9:57 pm

Ok so he's never going to be in the p4p top 10, he probably won't win another world title, but how can you not love gavin rees? His short stature and stocky build put him at a huge disadvantage every time he steps through the ropes and based on his height he's probably boxed his whole career 2 or 3 weights above were he should be, but he more than makes up for these disadvantages with 1 tracked bullheadish attitude that doesn't know the meaning of the word "quit". What you must also remember is he has only had 1 defeat and that was against andriy Kotelnik a world class fighter who beat marcos maidana and amir Kahn boxed with great caution to win his WBA belt. Most of all though everytime he gets in the ring he gives us boxing fans what we want to see, courage, grit and determination against all the odds. In my opinion he's a national tresure and a plesure to watch so just thought I'd share my admiration for what I consider a great inspirational fighter who is so often overlooked

1weight1champ

Back to top Go down

You have to love gavin rees Empty Re: You have to love gavin rees

Post by WelshDevilRob Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:01 pm

Nuff respect to him. Gives his all and a lovely guy

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:03 pm

Agreed...The guy takes on all and sundry and is hardly ever in a dull fight....Lacks talent but so what.

Like him..the same way I used to like Boom boom Mancini...

Real blue collar fighter.....and well deserving of an appreciation.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sat 18 Jun 2011, 10:49 am

He's putting the hard work in now, used to be a little flat and lazy just like Bradley Price.

A mate of mine caught him in St Josephs in Newport before his last fight training along with Gary Lockett. He looked sharp and explosive, very focussed... that showed in the first half of the fight.

A little more work to do, but yeah, over all a down to earth nice guy. Would be nice to see him have a shot at a World Championship again.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sat 18 Jun 2011, 11:14 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Agreed...The guy takes on all and sundry and is hardly ever in a dull fight....Lacks talent but so what.

Like him..the same way I used to like Boom boom Mancini...

Real blue collar fighter.....and well deserving of an appreciation.

Agreed Trussy. Every word.

He has come back from Kotelnik really well. He took a lot of flak for winning his title off Mbaye - but that wasn't his fault (as far as I could tell). He went out, negated Mbaye and won a world championship in a weight class where he was never going to be effective. Nice matchmaking from Warren as well. He looks a bit better since stepping down to 135 again - and he could be smaller. But he always comes to fight and he always tries his heart out.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Sat 18 Jun 2011, 12:23 pm

Certainly a fighter that you would not like to face. He does not have the skils of the top boxers, but I think he would give most of them a good go and make sure they have been in a fight.

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Sat 18 Jun 2011, 2:09 pm

Rees has plenty of skill, he's just at a bit of a disadvantage with his height.

He fought the wrong fight against Kotelnik. Kotelnik is tough as nails, Rees just waisted all his energy trying to knock him out. Look at how Khan fought Kotelnik, pitter-patter move, pitter-patter move....Rees got through to Kotelnik more than Khan and Alexander combined, and that was at 140lbs where he clearly never belonged!!!

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 18 Jun 2011, 3:59 pm

He fought the wrong fight against Kotelnik. Kotelnik is tough as nails, Rees just waisted all his energy trying to knock him out. Look at how Khan fought Kotelnik, pitter-patter move, pitter-patter move....Rees got through to Kotelnik more than Khan and Alexander combined, and that was at 140lbs where he clearly never belonged!!!
I remember watching that fight, Gav did get through more, he battered him for the first 6 rounds imo, but as you say Kotelnik is tough, and his defence is brilliant, the basic hands up covering the whole of his head and has his elbows protecting his body as soon as the shots come in, you don't fight him like that. Rees can still win a world title at lightweight imo though, mind you i would worry if he'd been in with Mitchell or Crolla last week when his energy went, he'd knock Murray spark out, Murray's made for him, he'd walk onto Rees' fast combinations.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down