The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gavin Rees v Adrian broner

+21
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
thebawwse
eddyfightfan
Mayweathers cellmate
Liam
spencerclarke
BallchinianMuffwig
AlexHuckerby
John Bloody Wayne
Mr Bounce
ShahenshahG
Seanusarrilius
jimdig
superflyweight
bellchees
Union Cane
88Chris05
jimmy glitter pants
rob-glos
hampo17
mckay1402
25 posters

Go down

Gavin Rees v Adrian broner Empty Gavin Rees v Adrian broner

Post by mckay1402 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 11:11 am

Just seen this on twitter. I like Gavin but not confident about him winning this.

gavin rees @gavtherock 55m
Looks like I'm fighting Adrian broner 16th feb for WBC title massive fight for me an time for me to become 2 weight world champ
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Gavin Rees v Adrian broner Empty Re: Gavin Rees v Adrian broner

Post by hampo17 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 11:13 am

Rees is a very solid euro level fighter and I can't see him having anything that will trouble Broner. 6 round TKO.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Fri 28 Dec 2012, 11:53 am

Rees is a tough fighter which is a problem really.

Broner will beat him up for 8-9 rounds before the corner pull him out.
One of those fights that can ruin a fighter.

Fair play to Hearn for getting it though...

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmy glitter pants Fri 28 Dec 2012, 11:57 am

I'm afraid this will be the end for Gavin Rees, Broner will beat Rees to a pulp, Broner will either Knock him out or stop him on cuts.

jimmy glitter pants

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 12:27 pm

jimmy glitter pants wrote:I'm afraid this will be the end for Gavin Rees, Broner will beat Rees to a pulp, Broner will either Knock him out or stop him on cuts.

No need to be 'afraid' for Rees at all, methinks, and I doubt it'll be the end for him either. Of course, he'll lose barring a cataclysmic upset, but if he puts up a decent showing, forces Broner to think a bit and shows that customary determination and grit throughout, then there's a reasonable chance that his reputation could grow still from this outing.

It's a huge opportunity for Rees, the sort which he'd likely have never got again in his career had he passed it up this time. He's got absolutely nothing to lose.

You've got to hand it to Hearn, mind you. In terms of securing the big, big fights against genuinely top class opposition for his guys, he's leaving all other British promoters eating his dust in recent times; getting Buté over to Nottingham for Froch, securing Barker's world title tilt against Martinez and now positioning Rees for a crack at the world's number one Lightweight. The progress and growing fan bases of both Brook and Frampton are massively encouraging, too.

Excellent time to be a part of the Matchroom stable, I'd say. And all of this without having to tuck his fighters away on BoxNation or Nuts TV.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 28 Dec 2012, 12:31 pm

Sorry Chris, I can't hold it in any longer.

Stop writing Buté!!! It is Bute!!! Bute!!! No accent on the e!!!

There, I said it.

As for Rees, I can see him giving Broner a few problems early on, as he can be a right dirty little sod (in a good way of course), but I would expect Broner to work him out and stop him late.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 28 Dec 2012, 12:33 pm

This will be up there with the most one sided title fights in memory. Rees is very tough but the difference in quality between these two is huge, add to that Broner carries genuine power and this is a slaughter. Broner to finish this one as soon as he wants really, he usually has a look at the opponent for a round or two so I'd say KO by the 4th.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmy glitter pants Fri 28 Dec 2012, 12:37 pm

I'm not actually "afraid" Chris darling, I would much preffered him to fight Ricky burns though Very Happy

jimmy glitter pants

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 28 Dec 2012, 12:51 pm

Union Cane wrote:Sorry Chris, I can't hold it in any longer.

Stop writing Buté!!! It is Bute!!! Bute!!! No accent on the e!!!

There, I said it.

But then my favourite joke in the world won't work in its written form anymore, Union!

"What do you call a fight between Lucian Buté and John Mugabi? Buté and the Beast!"

Spoilsport raspberry
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 28 Dec 2012, 12:57 pm

I kind of agree with Union. Rees is unorthodox and tough enough to make Broner think for a little while before he's able to put him away. It's an interesting fight and I'm looking forward to it. Broner wins somewhere around 8 or 9 but it could be fun while it lasts.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 28 Dec 2012, 2:40 pm

It's a perfect fight to showcase all of broners skills. Rees will come straight at him, trying to swarm him. Broner will be given the perfect opportunity to show off his defense while he won't have to reach too far to tag Rees. I fear it'll be almost like an exhibition while it lasts. Fair play to Rees though, and fairplay to hearns. You can't ask for more off your promoter than getting matched with the division number 1. Even if it's overmatched.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 28 Dec 2012, 2:45 pm

Rees will get stopped here. Comes in way too much for a guy about to fight Broner. Going to be painful, but hopefully he'll put on a decent showing that ensures some decent pay days down the line

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 28 Dec 2012, 3:08 pm

Rees is a gutsy little Bar Steward and hopefully he'll do himself proud whatever the outcome.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 28 Dec 2012, 3:17 pm

One thing I hope for is that Broner gives Rees respect afterwards if it's tougher than he expected.

I have a lot of time for Rees as he is entertaining to watch - he knows his level (just below world class) and it's not as high as Broner's that's for sure. That said I fully expect him to go out on his shield at any time after 6 rounds and I doubt he'll be overawed by Broner; just over-matched.

Make no mistake: this is a "towards the end of career pay day" for Gavin.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 28 Dec 2012, 3:18 pm

A crushing loss for Rees ironically would probably make a burns / Rees fight more likely. Warren might see it within himself to do business with Rees if he sees him as canon fodder, or as a potential bellwether of where burns is at in comparison to broner.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 28 Dec 2012, 3:29 pm

jimdig wrote:A crushing loss for Rees ironically would probably make a burns / Rees fight more likely. Warren might see it within himself to do business with Rees if he sees him as canon fodder, or as a potential bellwether of where burns is at in comparison to broner.

I was thinking the same thing. It's an almost certainty now that Burns will fight Rees in the middle of next year.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 28 Dec 2012, 3:51 pm

superflyweight wrote:
jimdig wrote:A crushing loss for Rees ironically would probably make a burns / Rees fight more likely. Warren might see it within himself to do business with Rees if he sees him as canon fodder, or as a potential bellwether of where burns is at in comparison to broner.

I was thinking the same thing. It's an almost certainty now that Burns will fight Rees in the middle of next year.
Hopefully two good paydays for Rees if both fights come off. Obviously an underdog in both, but there might be some hope of an upset against burns. I like Rees, tough as old boots, shame he didn't pack a little more power. Also a shame he decided to become dedicated to the sport at the tail end of his career, rather than throughout.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 28 Dec 2012, 6:20 pm

I'm pretty dissapointed with this as I thought he was going to take on Richard Abril, who'd be an actual test of his ability to deal with a quick, rangy technician.

This should be like a bag workout.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 28 Dec 2012, 6:39 pm

i'm also very disappointed... He was actually pencilled in to face Abril with Banks and Mitchell rematch on the undercard, the fight must have gone through.

I'm sorry for anyone who thinks Rees will even ask a question here, because I'm very confident you'll be sadly mistaken, this is a mismatch at the highest level especially considering styles. Watch the Eloy Perez - Broner fight, this will pretty much be a repeat. Derry Matthews, god love him cos he's a real tryer and a great guy, but Derry Matthews had Rees on a string for the first 5 rounds with his jab until Rees was able to get to him due to Matthews punch resistance not being great. But, that's Derry Matthews... Adrien Broner, is no Derry Matthews and hits like a tank... Believe me, Rees is going to be taken out in style... But, erm... He'll give it a go...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Fri 28 Dec 2012, 7:04 pm

My reaction to this was "Oh dear."
Won't be pleasant to watch...but at least its not Gary Sykes!

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 28 Dec 2012, 7:09 pm

Thanks for your sympathy, Alex. Good to see that a move away from HR hasn't meant that you've lost the classic HR person's patronising sympathetic nature.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 28 Dec 2012, 7:19 pm

superflyweight wrote:Thanks for your sympathy, Alex. Good to see that a move away from HR hasn't meant that you've lost the classic HR person's patronising sympathetic nature.

Haha!!
It's what we do best, Superfly, we sucker you in then unleash the backhanders.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 28 Dec 2012, 7:28 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
superflyweight wrote:Thanks for your sympathy, Alex. Good to see that a move away from HR hasn't meant that you've lost the classic HR person's patronising sympathetic nature.

Haha!!
It's what we do best, Superfly, we sucker you in then unleash the backhanders.

Up Poopie creek without a paddle. Or more precisely sodomy

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Fri 28 Dec 2012, 7:34 pm

Rees has struggled with stamina in the latter rounds of fights as well of late. Not a good for him in this type of fight. I can't for the life of me seeing him making the final bell. I hope I'm wrong but I'd expect mid fight stoppage.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 28 Dec 2012, 7:40 pm

Is broner a big ppv guy? maybe they are hoping he can put on a show and win some fans over.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 28 Dec 2012, 9:09 pm

Rees 5th round stoppage. He'll come out with his hustle and bustle style and will make it uncomfortable for Bronner. He won't have faced many tenacious characters like Rees and I see a big payday upset for the welshman.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Fri 28 Dec 2012, 9:18 pm

Brilliant fight for him. Last hurrah fighting for a world title vs a quality operator for a good bit of cash.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 29 Dec 2012, 2:23 pm

broner was signed to fight sykes at one point, ree's is much more deserving and slightly underated, so its not the worst fight we could have seen, i actually see him taking broner the distance.

i dont think theres any point avoiding the top guys, murray, barker and the other murray have shown even knockout losses (martinez) can improve your standing and pushing top fighters close (sturm) really does open doors.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by thebawwse Sat 29 Dec 2012, 4:07 pm

This matchup saddens me, Gavin Rees is a sweet dude, has worked hard and probably done more in his career than he would have ever hoped to but putting him in with Broner without a warm up fight is pretty much a cash out on Hearn's part. I'm down for someone making big money but is he really going to make huge amounts of money??? I don't think so

thebawwse

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 29 Dec 2012, 6:55 pm

Dont really mind this fight although would rather it be Abril but I think Rees will do better than people are thinking

I rate Broner as highly as anyone and think he could well be the face of boxing, but he isn't the finished article yet and struggled not to long ago vs De Leon

Rees isn't anything special but he does only have 1 loss to Kotelnik who was a very good lightwelter and looks more natural at lightweight

He will probably be stopped but I cant see it happening early or for him to be wiped out like some have mentioned. He is tough, durable and and has a unorthodox style that may trouble Broner for the first half of the fight

Lots of sources say that Broner will fight on the Mayweather May 5th card and that they want Broner to fight Burns, which would be hard for burns/Warren to refuse given the exposure he would get on a mayweather card

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sun 30 Dec 2012, 12:47 am

Liam wrote:Rees 5th round stoppage. He'll come out with his hustle and bustle style and will make it uncomfortable for Bronner. He won't have faced many tenacious characters like Rees and I see a big payday upset for the welshman.

Yeah okay............nurse!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sun 30 Dec 2012, 1:23 am

Not casting any aspersions on what you guys are saying but what does it say when a guy is 37-1-1 and the British and Euro champ and everyones first reaction is 'he's gonna get hammered, had hoped Broner would fight Abril'

Does it saying something about the Brit and Euro belts, is the gulf between there and world level really that big?

Is there any point in following the Brit-Euro-World title route if you are dismissed as a second rate contender?

For the record I'm not expecting much from Rees' either though I'm quite happy to see him get a shot, he's merited a title shot based on the gold he's holding and I hope he's at least competitve for a few rounds.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun 30 Dec 2012, 2:31 am

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:Not casting any aspersions on what you guys are saying but what does it say when a guy is 37-1-1 and the British and Euro champ and everyones first reaction is 'he's gonna get hammered, had hoped Broner would fight Abril'

Does it saying something about the Brit and Euro belts, is the gulf between there and world level really that big?

Is there any point in following the Brit-Euro-World title route if you are dismissed as a second rate contender?

For the record I'm not expecting much from Rees' either though I'm quite happy to see him get a shot, he's merited a title shot based on the gold he's holding and I hope he's at least competitve for a few rounds.

It's about the fighters not the belts they hold as to why everyone is picking Rees to get hammered. Same situation right now with most European champs if they were to step up and fight the best in their division.

There is still plenty of point in following the Brit-Euro-World title route but Euro level is part of a learning curve for some guys going on to bigger things but for Rees that's as far as his talent will take him.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by ShockmasterV2 Sun 30 Dec 2012, 3:13 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
jimmy glitter pants wrote:I'm afraid this will be the end for Gavin Rees, Broner will beat Rees to a pulp, Broner will either Knock him out or stop him on cuts.

You've got to hand it to Hearn, mind you. In terms of securing the big, big fights against genuinely top class opposition for his guys, he's leaving all other British promoters eating his dust in recent times; getting Buté over to Nottingham for Froch, securing Barker's world title tilt against Martinez and now positioning Rees for a crack at the world's number one Lightweight. The progress and growing fan bases of both Brook and Frampton are massively encouraging, too.

Excellent time to be a part of the Matchroom stable, I'd say. And all of this without having to tuck his fighters away on BoxNation or Nuts TV.

Got to agree, I think Hearn is doing a cracking job and Rees will know that he's going to have to take a beating in this one. But i suppose it's not all bad as Broner is destined to go to the top and doing a number on one of our lads is surely better than doing it on a domestic American who we have no interest in. Fair play to Rees for having the guts to go for this fight, although i fear this may put him into retirement.
ShockmasterV2
ShockmasterV2

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 30 Dec 2012, 5:12 pm

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:Not casting any aspersions on what you guys are saying but what does it say when a guy is 37-1-1 and the British and Euro champ and everyones first reaction is 'he's gonna get hammered, had hoped Broner would fight Abril'

His record only looks so good due to good matchmaking. Also due to Rees fighting above himself in a couple of fights.

Also, due to Broner looking a very special talent. Not a weak world champion in M'Baye, or even an average world champion, Broner totally dominated Demarco who was regarded as the best Lightweight on the planet. The comparisons to Mayweather are there, around the same age I would have said he's perhaps around the same skill level, when Mayweather was beating Manfredy and Hernandez the comparisons are there. Mayweather improved dramatically a few years on from that and Broner will aswell in my view. He is special, Rees isn't, pure and simple.

It's not really a reflection of British level to world level, it's just that particular division, you have to take it all on a case by case basis. I would say that in Britain the SBW division with Quigg and Frampton we would have two guys who have been fighitng at British level, but in normal circumstances (Being the divison wasn't so stacked with top P4Pers) that would be very close to world level in my view. However, with the fact that there is Rigondeaux, Mares and Donaire at the top, it makes it pretty hard.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Sun 30 Dec 2012, 7:49 pm

Laughable mismatch. Rees will be mincemeat within 8 rounds.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down